• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

Remember guys that things like animation and such get multiple passes throughout development. They're obviously just showing this to show their backers what progress has been made.

Cidd

That feel when the Dreamcast version looks better LOL!

I know it's early footage plz calm down.

Those faces and characters look like an HD remake of the original games (not really in a good way), and there was too much emphasis on "OMG SETTING SUNS ARE GORGEOUS RITE GUYS!?" to really give any sense of a solid lighting engine. I don't know...I'm one of the weird super Shenmue fans, but this still doesn't look that good graphically.

DCMMmX0UQAAX7B_.jpg

lilbit.

Halabane

Everything about that trailer screams 90's.

Seems like we are having a year (ala Mass Effect) with faces. To me it was like they took the ps2 models (it was the whole character's body that was odd to me) and put it in the UE engine. Lots of it looks backgrounds look nice and the music was fine. I am thinking there is one more delay before they release this. Seems like they have quite a bit to do.

LordKano

It's a kickstarter game that's still a year+ off. Seems like they prioritized getting the graphics/art assets done first and then work on polishing the animations. That said, if a year later the animation and faces are still rough then that's a whole different story than clear WIP footage. We saw this happen with KOFXIV too.

6 million is a lot by Kickstarter standards but that's probably pretty modest by major game standards. Really important to keep that in mind.

Second half of next year. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bumped to 2019 though.

I know, I know, I'm not criticizing the project, to be honest if you put the faces/animations aside the game actually looks really good, it's just that it was waaaay too funny to not point that out.

The environment looks good but the character animation and facial expression looks really stiff. It gets worse when comparing this to other modern games like Yakuza Kiwami.

BigEmil

If only they didn't use Unreal Engine 4 with a high overhead and made with a in-house engine instead, I can see them being a technical powerhouse with it

It's comforting that the gameplay and everything should be rock solid on this...as the visual aspect of it looks a bit...unique. It looks as if everything was ripped straight from DC days, and just given a shiny new coat of paint

conpfreak

Let's be honest, this doesn't look good. Animations are crap, models looks bad, and the environments look like they're from Wii U E3 2011 tech demo. Sometimes, it's better for some series to stay dead. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but they're off to a bad start.

Loxley

I get that it's in development and far from finished but man, the characters all look like Real Dolls that a wizard brought to life.

Music and lighting are on-point though.

patapuf

Shenmue 1 and 2 were the most expensive games of their time.

This is a kickstarter game.

Expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

Animations, facial and otherwise will improve... but there's limits in scope there.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I like them environments and that sexy Shenmue music.
Facial animations or lack of are obviously placeholder and they are glorious muahaha.

.la1n

I will try to refrain from being too harsh on the visuals since they are mostly sound. I will just be happy their is a conclusion to the story I have waited forever for. I would expect after feedback rolls in they do some tweaking to those models.

Kneefoil

Ryo's face had me laughing out loud. Guy has a stone for a face: not any kind of animation whatsoever.

I know the games release is ways of, but still...

ajim

Fuck yeha!!! That was beautiful!! The music, the colors, the characters!!

Really happy for a Kickstarter in development update with lots of time to go! The martial arts looked bad ass!!!

I'm in love.

Top Bottom