• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your reverse milkshake duck

Ottaro

Not a parody thread, but a thread to celebrate actually good people out there.

The whole internet loves Reverse Milkshake Duck, a lovely duck that drinks milkshakes! *5 seconds later* We are pleased to inform you that the duck spends his weekends visiting children's hospitals and fighting fascism!

I'm talking about people whose work you have liked/respected, and then after finding out about their personal life you end up liking and respecting them even more.

I have adored the Captain America movies and the character, and the fact that Chris Evans as a human being embodies the spirit of Steve Rogers is proof that there is good out there in the universe. Following his twitter just makes life better.

Anyone else?

Edit: This could also mean people you thought were douchebags but turned out to be great, or people who redeemed themselves. Whichever you want to share.

Orayn

AronRa was essentially the only YouTube atheist/skeptic people who I really liked, and he seems to be one of the only ones who didn't turn into a bigoted human disaster.

HylianTom

Banned
I follow a bunch of Nintendo and Nintendo TreeHouse folks on twitter (Bill Trinen being the most well-known), and they seem like a solid, decent bunch of folks. If they aren't overt about where their leanings are, their hints are obvious. I wouldn't be shocked if some of this is just them exercising caution on social media due to their employer, but some of it can't be faked.

I figured a reverse milkshake duck would be a racist who had a change of heart and became a great person.

nah, milkshake duck doesn't "become" racist. its just they get found out to be racist.

So i'd be someone that you'd figure would be a racist douche but is super woke.

Like Kevin Nash being woke af

https://twitter.com/Phonycian/status/897632833631596544

then getting milkshack ducked

https://twitter.com/Brannanawesome/status/897647227463532544

then surprise

https://twitter.com/RealKevinNash/status/867949298280873984

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This "milkshake duck" thing is basically just trying to make fetch happen.

Reversed

I figured a reverse milkshake duck would be a racist who had a change of heart and became a great person.

I thought the same, and I'm drawing a blank to find an example.

As for the OP: it's gotta be donors for good causes and each CEO council that had the chance to leave before it "dissolved".

This "milkshake duck" thing is basically just trying to make fetch happen.

Not really. Its a very real phenomenon where someone gets their 15 minutes of fame and then people find out they've actually got some bad views and people feel bad for supporting bad people.

Like Ken Bone wasn't a true milkshake duck

The Last Night from e3 was

All the time when I see a popular youtuber and I'm like, oh jeeze another fuckin' youtuber... Then I watch their popular videos and find myself enjoying them.

PillarEN

Axl Rose getting woke is probably the strangest thing I've ever seen from a celebrity.

I mean... I'm pleased, but confused.

I don't really think it's that mindblowing (ok that's simplifying it and I get what you mean). Guy started from total crap and witnessed what he witnessed at home. Which was nothing but pure white trash. Took all he knew with himself to Hollywood. You could tell he wanted to be a good guy but messed up royally countless times (though domestic abuse is tough to forgive of all things). It took a good couple of decades for him to get out of poor habits that stem from all that.

He reminds me of Phil Anselmo. A guy who doesn't want to be a fuck up, but totally does. Axl's just a little bit ahead of figuring out how to get past that phase. They both got big mouths who are super cocky and felt nearly godlike at one point which made them think they weren't wrong when many views or actions of theirs were really dumb without them realizing it until repercussions hit em.

Guzim

I always knew Christopher Nolan was a great person.

tumblr_ol3p2bAq3q1ug1yugo1_540.jpg

JCHandsom

Lindsey Ellis: some of her earlier videos have bits that feel "dated" to say the least, then you find out that a lot of stuff she reviewed she did out of an obligation to the Nostalgia Chick character and/or was not written by her. He post Nostalgia Chick stuff has been amazing and I'm super happy.

Glenn beck had some turn around recently, because he actually saw women as real people. I don't know if he still holds shitty views, but I was surprised when he said he believed in feminism.

rpmurphy

Not really the definition of milkshake duck, but as far as people in media that I used to consume when I was young, the cast of MadTV was notable, and that show definitely had questionable sketches that used subtle or non-subtle stereotypes. I don't know about all of them, but fortunately, most of them seem chill and very far removed from alt-right Trumpsters.

The one long-time cast member that's definitely shitty is Michael Mcdonald.

Some good peeps:
Nicole Sullivan, Mo Collins, Alex Borstein, Phil Lamarr, Aries Spears, Will Sasso, Ike Barinholtz, Bobby Lee, Cristina Flanagan, Nicole Parker

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not really. Its a very real phenomenon where someone gets their 15 minutes of fame and then people find out they've actually got some bad views and people feel bad for supporting bad people.

Like Ken Bone wasn't a true milkshake duck

The Last Night from e3 was

I don't mean the actual idea, I mean literally calling the idea "milkshake duck." It's one of those super minor memes that's good enough to get a knowyourmeme entry but not good enough to stick around as a term anyone understands.

Mathieran

Banned
Yeah, this. Keanu, at least onscreen, never really struck me as the kind of guy who would do good, y'know?

Then I read about all the great things he does and it's like, what the hell, this guy's a genuine hero! One of the most pleasant surprises of my lifetime, at least.

That's pretty awesome. That's the kind of person I would like to think I would be if I was really successful.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Axl Rose getting woke is probably the strangest thing I've ever seen from a celebrity.

I mean... I'm pleased, but confused.
Huh? What happened?

I don't really think it's that mindblowing (ok that's simplifying it and I get what you mean). Guy started from total crap and witnessed what he witnessed at home. Which was nothing but pure white trash. Took all he knew with himself to Hollywood. You could tell he wanted to be a good guy but messed up royally countless times (though domestic abuse is tough to forgive of all things). It took a good couple of decades for him to get out of poor habits that stem from all that.

He reminds me of Phil Anselmo. A guy who doesn't want to be a fuck up, but totally does. Axl's just a little bit ahead of figuring out how to get past that phase. They both got big mouths who are super cocky and felt nearly godlike at one point which made them think they weren't wrong when many views or actions of theirs were really dumb without them realizing it until repercussions hit em.
Dude what. Phil Anselmo is an unapologetic racist.

PillarEN

One person that comes to mind is John Frusciante.

In Anthony Kiedis' biography "Scar Tissue" it mentions that people were telling him that John was acting like an asshole outside the band during his first stint (which apparently surprised Anthony). Then during the Blood Sugar Sex Magik tour John was just jacking off on stage figuratively speaking. Tried his best to ruin the bands performance on SNL (it's actually an awesome performance lol). Then after he left the band to do a bunch of drugs he was borderline responsible for River Phoenix's death as he was enabling him and both of them were completely messed up already before they got to the Viper Room. During an infamous interview in 94 where he is way beyond in bad shape he says crap like "it's a shame River was ever born rather than him being dead". And then not saying some nice things about Kurt Cobain (though in his defense knowledge of depression today is much different than 25 years ago or so).

Then he turns it around and becomes a super nice dude trying to live a healthy life and being really respectful person who is also a great bandmate (and actually came around to like Nirvana music :p ).
I think in his core that's who he always was, but when he was young he was just way too wild and then got into a wild band when he was only 18 which, y'know, it's like being a superstar football player who is basically given the keys to the city to do whatever the fuck he wants without any repercussions cause he's a star player on the college team.

Huh? What happened?

Dude what. Phil Anselmo is an unapologetic racist.

Is he? Thought he came around after his Dimebash incident.
He's been a really hard read the whole time. Married a Jewish women and had some weird anti-semetic line in one Superjoint song which escapes me now. Several songs on Vulgar are about unity like Rise or No Good. But then he does what he does at Dimebash. I really don't get the guy.

Top Bottom