• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your reverse milkshake duck

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is he? Thought he came around after his Dimebash incident.
He's been a really hard read the whole time. Married a Jewish women and had some weird anti-semetic line in one Superjoint song which escapes me now. Several songs on Vulgar are about unity like Rise or No Good. But then he does what he does at Dimebash. I really don't get the guy.

http://www.metalinjection.net/shock...hil-anselmo-there-was-no-white-wine-backstage

His reactions after that were to be super defensive, call Flynn an SJW, whine about how being called a racist is the worst thing ever (worse than being racist apparently).

Anselmo is a racist douchebag and a complete fucking moron. I can't imagine anyone thinking he's a "reverse milkshake duck" or even a barely decent human being.

Mesoian

I guess McCain for his surprise Healthcare vote?

McCain has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go to make up for some of the bullshit he's been on the side of. But, in the past few weeks, it seems like he's at least trying.

As for me, Miroslav Barnyashev, who plays Rusev in the WWE. I always take umbrage with the WWE's treatment of POC and people of foreign origin, usually being so lazy as to make them out to be horrid monsters who are only around to make USA chants see genuine. Rusev's character was and is still that, a nearly 2 year run of dumb jealousy storylines revolving around his "russian" wife cheating with the swaggering American that just felt embarrassing for everything involved. But then one day something happened. Barnyashev went on UUDD, Xavier Wood's gaming channel and just played some old video games, and spoke. He wasn't screaming into a microphone or chanting about how Americans are fat and lazy and if he had his way, he'd beat everyone in teh ehad with a steal chair, he just spoke and talked about things he liked and his family and how it's been living in the US, and you're reminded that he's a really nice guy who plays a shitty role on a fictional show. Two weeks later, he and his partner on the show basically went AWOL, traveled to europe and got married, submarining a storyline that had been going on in the WWE for almost a year. It was almost poetic.

AJ Styles is a big Milkshake Duck for me. Finding out Rusev was actually a really sweet guy just made me feel better about things. Things in general.

nah, milkshake duck doesn't "become" racist. its just they get found out to be racist.

So i'd be someone that you'd figure would be a racist douche but is super woke.

Like Kevin Nash being woke af

https://twitter.com/Phonycian/status/897632833631596544

then getting milkshack ducked

https://twitter.com/Brannanawesome/status/897647227463532544

then surprise

https://twitter.com/RealKevinNash/status/867949298280873984

Wow, yeah, this is the kind of thing I clicked on this thread hoping for.

Big Daddy Cool Fuckin Diesel.

yuoke

Banned
Would RDJ be a good answer?

I mean it was a transitional thing that he became clean, but he also has done tons of charity stuff, and of course he gave that awesome ironman prosthetic arm to that kid.

Plus he was a major supporter of Hillary and is a big democrat which I didn't know for awhile.

PillarEN

http://www.metalinjection.net/shock...hil-anselmo-there-was-no-white-wine-backstage

His reactions after that were to be super defensive, call Flynn an SJW, whine about how being called a racist is the worst thing ever (worse than being racist apparently).

Anselmo is a racist douchebag and a complete fucking moron. I can't imagine anyone thinking he's a "reverse milkshake duck" or even a barely decent human being.

Oh I wouldn't nominate him for a reverse milkshake duck. Not even before the Dimebash incident. Mostly brought him up because a lot of his onstage antics as well as offstage hi jinks reminded me of Axl in some ways. Both performers that can grab absolute attention onsatge and be quite intense, but also be a ticking time bomb for a complete ego trip (which appears to be in the past for Axl now).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I figured a reverse milkshake duck would be a racist who had a change of heart and became a great person.

Based on the definition of "milkshake duck", I would have assumed the reverse of that would be someone whose art/personality/profession/whatever you don't like superficially, but you then come to find out that they actually positively contribute to worthy causes.

Like, Russel Brand or something.

peakish

All right, I have one. Stephen Bonnell, aka. Destiny. Had him figured as a typical gamer edge lord who at best doesn't care about anything affecting someone other than themselves. Then I see him actually being out there batting against far right and nazi nonsense, on his own and on other platforms. Instead of leaving that fight to those affected or only now and then join larger discussions. I'm pretty ashamed of having misjudged him.

mrkgoo

Not a parody thread, but a thread to celebrate actually good people out there.

I'm talking about people whose work you have liked/respected, and then after finding out about their personal life you end up liking and respecting them even more.

I have adored the Captain America movies and the character, and the fact that Chris Evans as a human being embodies the spirit of Steve Rogers is proof that there is good out there in the universe. Following his twitter just makes life better.

Anyone else?

Edit: This could also mean people you thought were douchebags but turned out to be great, or people who redeemed themselves. Whichever you want to share.

I recently started following him myself. It gives me warm fuzzies

Many prominent bands in the black metal genre and their members speaking out against the fringe NSBM bands and fans that was invading bm particularly in 90s and early 2000s, some people speaking out against it are Tormentor/Infernus (Gorgoroth) and Protector (Summoning), Dark Funeral, etc. Even in my local region of bm at the time, local magazines had interviews with local bands about it too. There's some really old late 90s video interview with Dark Funeral about it too but I can't find it online at all.

Also this is the text put out by Protector (Summoning) years ago too. The band's site is down at the moment but here is the archived page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160303230937/http://www.summoning.info/Stuff/PoliticalStatements.html

Alx

Bill Gates, I suppose. In the 90s he was supposed to be the "evil" corporate nerd out to rule the digital world, and turned into a generous philantropist.

Mark Hamill, I mean I always liked him for being in SW but he really seems to be the most humble, self-deprecating and cool people alive. Hilarious to boot.

Add me to the list of folks saying JK Rowling. She's brilliant.

Edit: And one who won't mean much to people outside the UK: Gary Lineker. I'm willing to overlook his occasional theft of potato-based snacks.

Linekar is a very sound lad from his Twitter account (past philandering aside of course). He's saner about this country's politics than you think.

Honestly there are a few examples of footballers not being the twats you half expect them to be, not that I ever had a problem with Jermain Defoe but the man went above and beyond over the last year.

Chuckie

Ari, the thread.

Ariana Grande is my reverse milkshake duck. You had the donut licking incident, some stories from fans that she was arrogant and didn't care about fans etc.

Then the horrible attack in Manchester happened and she turned out to be awesome and caring to her fans.

Murkas

wandering

Banned
Maybe not exactly a milkshake duck, but Rammstein often got accused of harboring fascist sentiments because, well, they're a German band that makes dark, angry, aggressive metal music. In response they released a song that basically explicitly identified themselves as leftists.

Chuckie

Maybe not exactly a milkshake duck, but Rammstein often got accused of harboring fascist sentiments because, well, they're a German band that makes dark, angry, aggressive metal music. In response they released a song that basically explicitly identified themselves as leftists.

Nice to hear. Because I kind of like Rammsteins music.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Ron Perlman.
Blew my mind how good of a nazi he was. I thought he was a real life nazi.

Then you find out his family is black. He had black children.

Milkshake duck?

Now reverse milkshake duck?

Fuck me I'm too old for this shit.
Or just too stubborn to want to understand the lingo?

2017-05-17-10-04-55-pdilq6.jpg

Milkshake duck is when a beloved person becomes hated because of usually disgusting views or actions being exposed.

Dali

I can't think of any off the top of my head but i guess Ron Pearlman and rammstein are good examples. I never really heard anything about them to indicate they were assholes but I was always, like "... but I wouldn't be surprised if they were." Glad to hear they are ok. Some examples itt are just nonsensical though. Terry crews? Keanu Reeves? Chris Evans? Ashton Kutcher? What negative impression or what cause to have negative impression of those people did you have before finding out they were good people? People had overwhelming positive feelings towards milkshake duck, then when they found out more about him, mostly negative feelings. To me a reverse milkshake duck would be mostly negative feelings that upon closer inspection of a person's deeds and actions yields to overwhelmingly positive feelings of the person.

Yeah, "reverse milkshake duck" doesn't work for some of the people in this thread.

Some of the people being listed are already well liked, but then do something that makes them even more well liked and respected.

Chinner

Banned
Does Jim sterling fall into this category? Used to be a bit of a nob but genuinely changed his ways and is cool dude now?

Chuckie

People should really stop mentioning Keanu Reeves. He is a beloved actor who is known to be a really nice guy. There is nothing 'reverse milkshake duck' about him.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Evans is exactly who I first thought of as I clicked the thread. Marvel nailed that one. He pretty much is Captain America.

This is a good one.

Dude has all the trappings of a douche bag on screen, but has a heart of gold.

Chuckie

Icecream duck sounds better. Tacking on reverse sounds so dumb. Nerd culture is so weird sometimes lol.

What is wrong with an icecream duck?

It is called a milkshake duck because everybody would love an milkshake duck. And then you find out that duck is a racist piece of shit.

A turd spider would be better. Nobody loves a turd spider... but then you find out he donates all his money to sick children!

So who is your turd spider?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Juggalos, maybe? You'd kinda expect them to be a little off since it doesn't seem like a very diverse group. But all the ones I've met have been genuinely nice people. And I guess they're marching against Nazis now too, so they're good with me.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A turd spider would be better. Nobody loves a turd spider... but then you find out he donates all his money to sick children!

So who is your turd spider?

Gluten-free Canadian goose. Now there's an animal that sounds like a piece of shit just by the description.

Fortunately, gluten-free Canadian goose reads books to disabled orphans on her days off.

jelly

Sir Roger Moore just because I didn't know he was such a great guy in real life, honest, funny, caring, charitable.

D_prOdigy

George Michael came to mind for me

Ariana Grande

Never cared for her before, but she's Queen after her response to the Manchester bombing.

+1

She'd barely registered on my conception of popular culture before. Now anybody would buy her a drink if she ever comes to Manchester again

Khoryos

Juggalos, maybe? You'd kinda expect them to be a little off since it doesn't seem like a very diverse group. But all the ones I've met have been genuinely nice people. And I guess they're marching against Nazis now too, so they're good with me.

Juggalos are a good call, yeah. I still can't abide the music, but the people are alright.

I mean this may not be exactly what the OP is looking for, but for me it's Stephen King. When I first read him I suspected he was a weird, crazy Lovecraft situation. Turns out he's an admirable person and had put his name behind some great causes such as donating millions to the libraries and the arts.

LogicAirForce

Neo Member
When I first started getting into Susumu Hirasawa's music I was sorta afraid to find out his views on the LGBT community, since LGBT rights aren't super great in Japan. Turns out not only is he a huge supporter of LGBT rights, but a few of his albums have been inspired by some trans friends of his.

Also, the Mcelroy brothers honestly seem like good people and their reaction to the Nick Robinson stuff has further cemented that.

how woke is stone cold steve austin IRL? i remember seeing a fake social media presence / parody account that was pretty woke, but it was just that, a parody.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Gluten-free Canadian goose. Now there's an animal that sounds like a piece of shit just by the description.

Fortunately, gluten-free Canadian goose reads books to disabled orphans on her days off.

How about a Goose Howard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81ptFSA4mk

You think he's going to bite you, but maybe he just wants to hug your dog!

[EDIT] Shit, after reading the comments of that video and of the original, unedited video, it turns out the boat owner found a goose's nest in his boat, so the goose was just trying to protect her children. Even more fitting of the reverse milkshake duck definition then!

When I first started getting into Susumu Hirasawa's music I was sorta afraid to find out his views on the LGBT community, since LGBT rights aren't super great in Japan. Turns out not only is he a huge supporter of LGBT rights, but a few of his albums have been inspired by some trans friends of his.
That's cool to hear. His scores for Satoshi Kon and Berserk are amazing.

Gregg Popovich

Used to be sick of seeing him and the Spurs winning every other year, but the more and more I hear him speak, the more I find myself rooting for him. Seems like a genuinely good guy, and someone who really gets it.

Turin

Banned
Keanu Reeves posts are strange. He always seemed cool to me.

Chris Evans is kind of understandable only because I figured he'd be just another quietly career oriented actor. No, the guy is damn serious about being a role model for kids and he cares a great deal about the state of his country.

As for my post. I don't expect many of you will know who this is but I never expected Sean Kinney, the grumpy drummer from Alice In Chains, to give any kind of a shit. He showed up for the women's march.

0056f809565132b7a15cd89f26642515.jpg

Gary Lineker. Former England footballer now TV presenter, always assumed he was a bit of a knob but he's shown himself to be a very decent person in recent years.

Top Bottom