• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your reverse milkshake duck

nah, milkshake duck doesn't "become" racist. its just they get found out to be racist.

So i'd be someone that you'd figure would be a racist douche but is super woke.

Like Kevin Nash being woke af

https://twitter.com/Phonycian/status/897632833631596544

then getting milkshack ducked

https://twitter.com/Brannanawesome/status/897647227463532544

then surprise

https://twitter.com/RealKevinNash/status/867949298280873984

It's always a surprise to me when I see a wrestler whose very liberal. It seems like so many of them are pretty far right. But since we're on the subject, Batista is another one that's firmly on the liberal side.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Scott Cawthon, the creator of the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise, is my personal reverse milkshake duck. I really dislike the FNAF games and resent how insanely popular they've become, but hearing the bloke talk he's actually a really reasonable and humble person, who knows who his games are for and understands the criticisms in a respectful fashion.

And yeah, someone else mentioned Nicki Minaj. Went up in my respect books in recent times.

I think many probably thought Keanu Reeves was going to be a cocky idiot after Bill and Ted and The Matrix, then he turned out to be the coolest actor in Hollywood.

Not

Banned
There are actually a ton of famous people I admire who turn out to be excellent. It's less common for them to be jerks.

Chelsea Manning's twitter since she got released has been a complete fucking joy, it's just the best and she's just the best.

Great to hear that Chelsea is free. Perhaps I'm the last person to hear the news.

I've found so many people who have exceeded my expectations, that it would not be feasible to try to list them. Being a pessimist in the short term really pays off so well that I suspect I might be a medium-term optimist, though of course we're all fucked in the end.

Speely

Banned
ICP. Hate their music so much, but they gave rise to a community that hates bigots and is marching on Washington the same day and place as a white nationalist rally.

I am thankful for their existence.

Loxley

Leah Remini, and any other former Scientologist who speaks out publicly against Scientology and exposes it for the fraudulent, brainwashing, tax-scam cult that it is.

I've been watching her show (it's amazing, if you haven't seen it) so it's been on my mind these last few days.

Coolluck

I feel like a lot of y'all missed what a milkshake duck is if you thought the person turned racist/sexist/bigoted etc. It's that they turned out to be that way. I'm trying to think of the reverse and the only thing I can think of was that guy (Little Caesar's founder?) Paying for Rosa Parks's apartment. After Papa John's I just assumed all pizza places were shady. Especially one with low quality like Little Caesar's. Stone Cold Steve Austin is probably another.

I hate this term SO GOD DAMN MUCH.
I have no idea why.

I get super annoyed seeing term word on page 1 every god damn day.

Sorry for the drive by derail.

Matt_C

Bill Gates.

This. He was hated in the 80's and 90's for Microsoft's business practices and antitrust lawsuit.
He and his wife, Miranda, winds up helping out the human race with the vaccination of the developing world and massive philanthropy.

PillarEN

I feel like a lot of y'all missed what a milkshake duck is if you thought the person turned racist/sexist/bigoted etc. It's that they turned out to be that way. I'm trying to think of the reverse and the only thing I can think of was that guy (Little Caesar's founder?) Paying for Rosa Parks's apartment. After Papa John's I just assumed all pizza places were shady. Especially one with low quality like Little Caesar's. Stone Cold Steve Austin is probably another.

Mike Ilitch? He was an awesome guy his whole life. Treated all his players like family too. Shame he won't see the new Red Wings stadium, but that's his last mark which will stand for a long time. Guy is a Detroit icon.

riotous

Banned
I hate this term SO GOD DAMN MUCH.
I have no idea why.

I get super annoyed seeing term word on page 1 every god damn day.

Sorry for the drive by derail.

I'm with you; it doesn't anger me, but hopefully this isn't the future of language. Some random meme used to describe a phenomenon that has nothing to do with the words?

I think it ties into the general online culture of posting memes that are only funny if you "get the reference".. "Oh, I get that reference, the thing kinda is similar to meme thing! HAHA"

/old man

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I'd say Demi Lovato. I couldn't name a single one of her tracks, but I remember long ago a girlfriend at the time was reading about her on tabloids and she seemed like another poor young celebrity train wreck
, the kind people love to laugh at for their substance abuse and emotional meltdowns as Hollywood celebrities. I figured she would fade out and crumble under the public scrutiny. Down the road, and working in mental health awareness myself, I noticed how active and present she was as somebody affected by bipolar disorder. It's not a glamorous thing to own, but by doing so, she offers information and guidance to those who have to struggle with those issues. She's done a great job of bucking the traditional taboos and stigmas of discussing mental health.

Also the pope, the leader of one of the most reviled and outmoded religious institutions, turned out to be way more liberal, socially aware, and empathetic than the typically morally upstanding leader of the free world.

This. He was hated in the 80's and 90's for Microsoft's business practices and antitrust lawsuit.
He and his wife, Miranda, winds up helping out the human race with the vaccination of the developing world and massive philanthropy.

I hope Melinda doesn't find out about Miranda.

higemaru

JK Rowling is a real good one

Gal Gadot

Mr Miyamoto (although we've all known this one for awhile)
You mean the JK Rowling who failed to take a side in the heated Parliament election despite repeated calls to endorse and despite her otherwise fervent political activism (against Trump) on Twitter? She really dropped the ball when it mattered imo

And Gal Gadot's got her own IDF baggage.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Chris Evans is exactly who I first thought of as I clicked the thread. Marvel nailed that one. He pretty much is Captain America.

Aurongel

Bill Gates is probably the ultimate one for me given my years of being a loser dork and basically bashing all things Microsoft and Gates.

The humanitarian work he's done should cement his place in history books.

Fuchsdh

It feels like Bill Gates is the last of the robber barons in a way. Time was, there seemed like a lot more pressure on the rich to be philanthropists not just for PR. I mean what rich person besides Gates do you see doing anything like what Carnegie did in his lifetime?

You mean the JK Rowling who failed to take a side in the heated Parliament election despite repeated calls to endorse and despite her otherwise fervent political activism (against Trump) on Twitter? She really dropped the ball when it mattered imo

This idea that a person must be perfect to be good is super counterproductive.

DonShula

LOLWUT????? Care to explain??

We all assumed he was a cool dude since he brought us some of our favorite childhood characters. Turns out he really was a cool dude who was also a musician and gardener and all around great guy. Never heard a negative thing about him.

I wondered how long it would take for this thread to turn into "the person you picked is closer to milkshake duck than reverse milkshake duck."

I got nothing for ya. Truly good people are all dead. Better?

Certainly many out there, but Christian Bale comes to mind. Him secretly (as secret as one can be) visiting Aurora victims was very heartening.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
John Cena. A golden-boy wrestler could easily turn out to be an egomaniac dick behind-the-scenes, but he does an unbelievable amount of charity work and champions some legit progressive causes.

latest

Terry Crews for days

Dude is awesome. Link goes to his Fathers' Day letter to his daughters.

Ashton Kutcher.

This too. His speech to the senate on human trafficking.

Trouble

Banned
John Cena. A golden-boy wrestler could easily turn out to be an egomaniac dick behind-the-scenes, but he does an unbelievable amount of charity work and champions some legit progressive causes.

I don't even watch wrestling, but I've seen a ton of stuff about what a generous and caring person he is.

Terry Crews for days

Dude is awesome. Link goes to his Fathers' Day letter to his daughters.

I love Terry. He's incredibly open about his journey in life and how fatherhood changed him into a better man.

riotous

Banned

I think he's earnd the right to shake the WWE stench off; WWE is such racist trash.. don't get how it's such a popular thing on NeoGAF.

That's a good one. It's not that I didn't think he's a good person or anything, but all I know is people who watch Wrestling seem to hate him for some reason. Learning of everything else he's done, he comes off like a genuinely great role model for his young fans.

Top Bottom