• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

PG2G said:
People "in the know" at the xbox.com forums say that any console with a July manufacture date is 65nm, but that they haven't hit actual retail stores yet.
That is awesome news. I will be buying my 2nd 360 this October I guess (for the HDMI port).

tanod

when is my burrito
Ranger X said:
They are one step closer to my wallet.
They only need 2 things now: 50$ less and a machine that doesn't break. Let's hope the redesign with be reliable. (65 milli version)
agree

If true, I expect the pricing setup to be through the end of the year to be:
Core - $300
Premium - $350
Halo SKU - $400 (20GB + HDMI)
Elite - $450

Hard drives would be priced accordingly and HD pricing would actually make a bit more sense with a 20GB for $50 and a 120GB for $150.

I had always predicted a $50 price cut across all SKUs in October after Halo and before GTA4.

C4Lukins

MercuryLS said:
I'm of the opinion that they should have just bit the bullet and went with a $100 drop. With Falcon coming out, they can afford it and it will have a major impact in making the system very successful over the next few years. That said, I don't know how some people can look at this $50 pricedrop and say it's a bad thing (Speevy) or that it will have no impact whatsoever.

I agree. The 100 dollar pricedrop would have been huge. 199 dollar Cores on shelves for Christmas. 50 will still have a big impact. The Core is now the same price as the Wii, and 350 sure looks good up against 500 or 600.

I wonder if the reason that we are not seeing a larger pricedrop may have anything to do with supply issues. We know there is a million plus flawed 360's in the channel, but how many more do they have in warehouses somewhere, and since they fixed the problem, how many 360's have they produced? My guess is they stopped building the screwed up machines months ago, just look at the limited shipments to retail, but when exactly did they start producing the newer improved versions? I doubt they have millions of the newer versions twisting away in storage. My personal conspiracy theory is that after they sell off this last batch of retail units, they do not have enough of the newer improved ones to replace them if sales are huge this holiday. :puts on tinfoil hat: Therefore, they did not drop the price more, because they could not supply the demand for them.

Emiru said:
65nm gpu started in late may, 65nm cpu started early july. the full 65nm 360 should be out on the market by mid September.

Sweet... can't wait to see what one of these looks like inside. Should be buying a new TV this fall, and assuming the redesign is out, I'll be on the 360 bandwagon.

I have a the mass(ive) erection...

oatmeal

Banned
I want me some cheaper 360. Mine seems to be falling by the wayside, always resetting in the middle of gameplay back to the dash. Scares me every time.

Nuke

Banned
Very tempting, but I'm still going to hold out till November. Besides, I'm still backlogged to all hell with PS2 games.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
MercuryLS said:
I'm of the opinion that they should have just bit the bullet and went with a $100 drop. With Falcon coming out, they can afford it and it will have a major impact in making the system very successful over the next few years. That said, I don't know how some people can look at this $50 pricedrop and say it's a bad thing (Speevy) or that it will have no impact whatsoever.
Reducing the price now by $100 wouldn't be a good idea. Halo 3 and GTA4 are going to be released soon and they will sell systems without a big price drop.

Once MS feel that they've sold all the 360's they can with the release of halo 3 and GTA4 at the original pric, they should make the price drop and attract the customers who were not willing to pay $400 to play those games.

Eric WK

LJ11 said:
He says that the Core is being rolled back to $299...

Yeah, but he also posts the email he received from Wal-Mart:

While we are indeed planning on rolling back prices of all Xbox 360 consoles by $50-$80, we can not as of yet give a timetable for when. But you can expect it soon.

Looks to me like the following:

Core - $249
Premium - $349
Elite - $400

C4Lukins

Father_Brain said:
It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo responds if the Core drops to $250, but I'm guessing that they won't need to.

Why would they? A price cut will not help them to be even more "sold out."

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
I would buy a $399 Elite and give my Premium to my daughter. I hope it is true.

Odysseus

Banned
Father_Brain said:
It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo responds if the Core drops to $250, but I'm guessing that they won't need to.

they'll respond by continuing to sell everything they can ship

edit: man, i'm slow

Eric WK said:

Core - $249
Premium - $349
Elite - $400

The problem is.. this guy is posting random crap from some random walmart employee and hes just going to get everyones hopes up..

Odysseus

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
The problem is.. this guy is posting random crap from some random walmart employee and hes just going to get everyones hopes up..

the second problem is who the freak are you

psycho_snake

Father_Brain said:
I dont think they'll do anything because in the position that they're in they dont really need too. As several people have said, wii's are selling out its doing incredible well. However they might be a little concerned about the price drop and the release of both halo 3 and GTA4. Its bound to give a big boost to 360 sales and it could affect the wii sales ever so slightly, but Nintendo wont lose any sleep over it. They're attracting a new audience and even people who have been playing games for a long time. They've also got their own big titles coming out during fall. Wii sales should be as good as ever over the next few months despite the 360 price drop and the release of two big games.

RPS37

Eric WK said:

Core - $249
Premium - $349
Elite - $400

I always thought MS's biggest concern when dropping the price would be the overpriced accessories (hard drives).

That makes sense because then the only accessory (hard drive) re-pricing would be the 120GB dropped from $180-150. That's kind of like the HD-DVD drive re-price $200-180 that just happened. Seems possible.

Eric WK said:

Core - $249
Premium - $349
Elite - $400
Wow, that is better price drop than I expected for the other two SKUs. Core for $249 should move some serious units. I wonder if there is a chance that a memory card is going to be included?

Odysseus

Banned
Kevtones said:
Its happening and it doesn't have to. Speevy got it right on the first page.

this fall's lineup would do jack, didley, and squat for an xbox 360 still at $400. by and large, people willing to buy 360s at $400 for halo 3 have been finding reasons to buy it beforehand. think like casuals and less like hardcore forumites and you might see that a $400 console is way too expensive for one game to move in large quantities.

Odysseus said:
this fall's lineup would do jack, didley, and squat for an xbox 360 still at $400. by and large, people willing to buy 360s at $400 for halo 3 have been finding reasons to buy it beforehand. think like casuals and less like hardcore forumites and you might see that a $400 console is way too expensive for one game to move in large quantities.

I agree..

The issue wth the 360 is that its priced so high that it seems to cap itself off from more of an audience.. even a $50.00 price drop is better than nothing.

I just think that people thinking Core to Wii like prices are expecting way too much and will only set themselves up for dissapointment. Though Elite being at $400.00 would be insta buy for me :lol

Kevtones

Odysseus said:

Well I think the question is whether Microsoft is trying to trump Sony, or compete with Nintendo? I think MS is going after Sony's market first, and at $400, with the games they have, its a safe bet they'll continue to lead. I think lowering the price by a full $100 early next year would help them garner HD market dominance and sustain the momentum they currently have.

psycho_snake

Odysseus said:
Both GTA and Halo were two of the best selling tiutles last gen, so they would have made an impact without the price drop, but the $50 price drop will help improve sales even more. I think that its a good move. Selling the 360 at $350 when Halo 3 and GTA4 are released will bring in more revenue than selling it at $400 when those two games are released. I think the percentage increase in sales will be big enough so that MS will make more money than they did when the price was higher.

People are extremely overestimating the impact of Halo 3 and the next GTA in this thread.

Look, if you guys are going by trends, trends also tend to show that people wouldn't spend $350 for a damn console. Let alone just for Halo 3 or GTA.

For example, at what price was Xbox was when Halo 2 came out? What was the userbase like?

Think about that for a second and come back to me with a logical reply.

What I will say is that the next GTA and Halo 3 will sell considerably less. Way less.

Unless, somehow magically, Xbox360 is $250 or the userbase is above >15 million in NA itself.

Edit: I'm talking hardware boost here and launch software sales.

Talamius said:
Wii for $250 vs 360 for $250? I'll take the Wii every time.

Wii has a game which is a runaway hit in the box, a controller, wifi built in, and 512mb of onboard storage.

360 has a controller. You're looking at $100 more for a game and some form of storage.

Given the choice between the two, your average casual is going to get the Wii, especially once they discover that $250 is going to become $350 just to get going on the 360.
You forgot the deal breaker. Instead of one, you get TWO Gamecubes with the Wii! How the hell did you overlook that? :p

Talamius said:
Wii for $250 vs 360 for $250? I'll take the Wii every time.

Wii has a game which is a runaway hit in the box, a controller, wifi built in, and 512mb of onboard storage.

360 has a controller. You're looking at $100 more for a game and some form of storage.

Given the choice between the two, your average casual is going to get the Wii, especially once they discover that $250 is going to become $350 just to get going on the 360.
But what about the difference in hardware and technology? The Wii's hardware is relatively the same as the Gamecube's, but the 360 is "next-generation" technology. It all boils down to what you expect and yearn from in the system.

diddlyD

Banned
UncleGuito said:
If you've ever worked in retail, you'd know that consumers always are lured to the lowest price. When parents and other buyers now have the choice of a Wii for $250, a 360 for $250, or a PS3 for $500, what do you think they'll go with? Especially in the holiday season, changes like this make a HUGE difference.

off topic, but who is that ugly bald dweeb in your avatar?

FortunateSon said:
People are extremely overestimating the impact of Halo 3 and the next GTA in this thread.

Look, if you guys are going by trends, trends also tend to show that people wouldn't spend $350 for a damn console. Let alone just for Halo 3 or GTA.

For example, at what price was Xbox was when Halo 2 came out? What was the userbase like?

What I will say is that the next GTA and Halo 3 will sell considerably less. Way less.

Unless, somehow magically, Xbox360 is $250 or the userbase is above >15 million in NA itself.

GTA3 sold a shit load of PS2's priced at $299 last generation.... with the Xbox 360 now priced at $249... history tells us that the Xbox 360 should possibly break records this holiday.

Odysseus

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
GTA3 sold a **** load of PS2's priced at $299 last generation.... with the Xbox 360 now priced at $249... history tells us that the Xbox 360 should possibly break records this holiday.

you don't actually believe that, do you?

ps2 sold 2.7 million units in december 2002 at $199. that's the high water mark for the last generation. you think microsoft themselves are even dreaming of hitting that number? also keep in mind that ps2s sold much, much, much better during the non-holiday months in those years it approached or surpassed 2 million units in december than xbox 360 is doing right now. my best guestimate right now is that microsoft will be sitting pretty if they get 2.7 million for september-december combined @ $350.

also... 360 @ $249. cute. the core has yet to find an audience, and i don't think a $50 price drop alone gets it there. it needs a reconfiguration.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
FortunateSon said:

It was full price when Halo came out. ;)

Little bit different this time around.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Speevy said:
Stupid, stupid move.

Halo 3 is going to send 360s flying off the shelves regardless.

I don't think it's a stupid move if this turns out to be true. It's in MS's interest to move as many 360s as possible. Nintendo is giving everyone a run for their money, and MS wants to put the hurt on Sony as well.

Furthermore, Halo 3 aint the end all be all either. I know many people think everyone wants Halo by default, but it's simply not true. Yes, it's a very popular franchise, but there are plenty of people who don't give a shit about Halo.

Odysseus said:
you don't actually believe that, do you?

ps2 sold 2.7 million units in december 2002 at $199. that's the high water mark for the last generation. you think microsoft themselves are even dreaming of hitting that number? also keep in mind that ps2s sold much, much, much better during the non-holiday months in those years it approached or surpassed 2 million units in december than xbox 360 is doing right now.

also... 360 @ $249. cute. the core has yet to find an audience, and i don't think a $50 price drop alone gets it there. it needs a reconfiguration.

Maybe... but historically the $249 Core should do wonders for Microsoft and the casual consumer. Especially if Microsoft advertises and pushes the Core more..

I don't think the Core will put out PS2 numbers... but I defiantly think the Core will begin to start selling a lot more and not just be like 5-10% of the 360 install base.

C4Lukins

FortunateSon said:

I am sorry, but I am going to have to ignore your analysis of trends. Two hours ago, you could not recall the 360 shortages of 14 months ago, and somehow your sales algorithms are suddenly in tune with reality? And while the best selling version of the 360 may be dropping down to 350, there is another SKU that will be at 250.... Which is exactly where the sexulant Wii has been kicking the hell out of the industry with few games, and few features.

Odysseus

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Maybe... but historically the $249 Core should do wonders for Microsoft and the casual consumer. Especially if Microsoft advertises and pushes the Core more..

I don't think the Core will put out PS2 numbers... but I defiantly think the Core will begin to start selling a lot more and not just be like 5-10% of the 360 install base.

i don't know, i think what ships with the core should better match the premium if it is to catch on. frankly, i think the only difference between skus should be the hard drive. i think microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot by making the core as gimped as it is. on one hand, it upsells customers to a premium, which is undeniably what microsoft wants since it is better on their bottom line that way. on the other hand, having no one buy the lesser sku completely defeats the purposes of having it and goes against the whole idea of reaching the budget-minded consumer. who knows, perhaps when the internals of the 360 become profitable, microsoft will actually want to sell cores and will therefore make them more appealing.

Top Bottom