• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

Psychotext said:
Maybe, but it fits too well to be random, and why would someone bother to say "$50 - $80" if there was one price drop across the entire range? Wouldn't enter your head.
Guess we will just have to wait and see :shrug:

TDG

Banned
quest said:
I am sorry but 50 dollars after 2years is really weak and stupid. It is not like the 50 takes them to the magical mark of 199 with the core or 299 with the premium. The 50 dollars still puts them way out of reach for casual gamers. This is it for MS they need to cement NA against sony this fall. They have the line up but they chickened out with the price drop. Come fall 2008 it will be sony with the monsterous fall line up. I highly doubt sony will chicken out when it comes to price cuts as they have already done one.
Wait. A $50 dollart price cut equals $250 for the core. Are you telling me that $250 is out of the reach of casuals? What the hell is the Wii?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
the disgruntled gamer said:
Wait. A $50 dollart price cut equals $250 for the core. Are you telling me that $250 is out of the reach of casuals? What the hell is the Wii?

Do you want more Cores to be sold?

KINGMOKU

How much is the memory card again?

I would buy a 249$ core, with a memory card. Without, nope.

TDG

Banned
moku said:

But, (to be quite blunt) I'm not talking about you. You know that there's no way to save your games out-of-the-box with the Core. Casuals, maybe don't.

moku said:

:lol

Come on dude... memory cards are like $30... are you telling me that an extra $30 is a deal breaker?

quest

Not Banned from OT

To walk out of the store and play the Wii is 250+ tax it comes with a game and save storage. A core+memory card and good game is damn near 350 or out of the reach of casuals.

But, (to be quite blunt) I'm not talking about you. You know that there's no way to save your games out-of-the-box with the Core. Casuals, maybe don't.

Oh come on. The last two successful consoles had memory cards.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Suikoguy said:

Who really cares right now it is to late to go back. Games will be developed to assume there is no hard drive. MS wanted a cheaper to manufacture SKU oh well to late to un ring that bell.

RiskyChris said:
Oh come on. The last two successful consoles had memory cards.
It's very true. There's more than 100 million console owners out there that knew to buy a memory card if they wanted to save their games.

KINGMOKU

Karma Kramer said:
:lol

Come on dude... memory cards are like $30... are you telling me that an extra $30 is a deal breaker?
I am a son of a bitch. Yes it's a deal breaker. that 30$ could go towards the purchase of a second hand game.

I want cheap goods, that are awesome.

Odysseus

Banned
Suikoguy said:

they could pull the core off the market today and it would not make one difference because (a) cores have already been sold and (b) the hdd is removable, so it's not guaranteed to even be on premium systems. might as well pimp that thing and push as many of them as possible.

Karma Kramer said:
PS2 didn't have memory cards packed in did it?

No, but casuals knew enough that memory cards were required. That's what the post was trying to say.

"bububu how could anyone know you need to buy extra stuff with the core!"

KINGMOKU

Odysseus said:
they could pull the core off the market today and it would not make one difference because (a) cores have already been sold and (b) the hdd is removable, so it's not guaranteed to even be on premium systems. might as well pimp that thing and push as many of them as possible.
Back me up here Odysseus. Your a cheap bastard as well, right?

Hell NO! We wont go! ...down to the store and buy a 360 unless it comes with a memory card for 249$!"

quest

Not Banned from OT
Psychotext said:
There's already 2 games (maybe more) out there that require the hard drive. Who is to say that more wont go that way.

No one wants to leave money on the table. They want to sell as many as possible sure a PC port of a MMORPG might require a hard drive but a normal game won't.

Suikoguy said:
Why does it matter what SKU is sold. I know some people dont think the Core is a great deal, but so what. If someone need to start slow with the 360 than that is fine by me.

TDG

Banned
quest said:
To walk out of the store and play the Wii is 250+ tax it comes with a game and save storage. A core+memory card and good game is damn near 350 or out of the reach of casuals.
But is a casual that knowledgable? We don't know.

I could sure as hell make the argument that the Wii is out of casuals' price range because "Oh, the buy another controller and nunchuk and it comes to more than $300, therefore the Wii doesn't have a casual-friendly price," but I'm not, and I never have, because that's silly. Casuals are just that, casual. They're probably not as knowledgable, and they probably won't look at the Core as "out of their price range" and "damn near $350."

moku said:
I am a son of a bitch. Yes it's a deal breaker. that 30$ could go towards the purchase of a second hand game.

I want cheap goods, that are awesome.

You obviously don't really want a 360 then if the price of a memory card is a deal-breaker.

quest

Not Banned from OT
RiskyChris said:
No, but casuals knew enough that memory cards were required. That's what the post was trying to say.

The casuals also did not start buying the PS2 until it got to 199. I don't remember the PS2 only droping a measily 50 dollars before its 3rd xmass.

Odysseus

Banned
moku said:
Back me up here Odysseus. Your a cheap bastard as well, right?

Hell NO! We wont go! ...down to the store and buy a 360 unless it comes with a memory card for 249$!"

we're mostly in agreement. i do want a hard drive for my system. i've said before that i wouldn't go over $299, and i won't. a $349 premium is still out of my psychological price range.

i mean, i owned all four systems last time around and didn't pay over $200 for any of them, for crying out loud. at the rate microsoft is moving the price down, it will be 5 or 6 years before the 360 gets there.

TDG

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Did they? Did they all factor a memory card into the price when deciding which console to buy? Ya think?

You people are delusional. The guy said that $250 is not casual-friendly, which the Wii has proved to be false, and I was pointing that out.

Odysseus said:
we're mostly in agreement. i do want a hard drive for my system. i've said before that i wouldn't go over $299, and i won't. a $349 premium is still out of my psychological price range.

i mean, i owned all four systems last time around and didn't pay over $200 for any of them, for crying out loud. at the rate microsoft is moving the price down, it will be 5 or 6 years before the 360 gets there.

What if the 20GB hard drive price is cut from $100 to $50...

Would you buy a core then?

Mrbob

Odysseus said:

We'll see if you actually hold out. No technicalities either like "Oh I got a 50 dollar gift card with my X360 so it was only 300!"

quest

Not Banned from OT
Did they? Did they all factor a memory card into the price when deciding which console to buy? Ya think?

You people are delusional. The guy said that $250 is not casual-friendly, which the Wii has proved to be false, and I was pointing that out.

The Wii also comes with internal storage/hot game/Wireless controller/wireless adaptor. If the 360 came with all that at 250 no one would bitch and it would be a casual friendly price.

Odysseus

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
What if the 20GB hard drive price is cut from $100 to $50...

Would you buy a core then?

no. the core as it is presently configured is a non-starter. the core simply must come with the contents of the premium (sans the hard drive, of course) if it is to be taken seriously as a sku.

Mojovonio

Banned
Odysseus said:

4?????

Odysseus

Banned
Mrbob said:
We'll see if you actually hold out. No technicalities either like "Oh I got a 50 dollar gift card with my X360 so it was only 300!"

hey now, those technicalities can come in handy!

microsoft... for that matter, the entire industry... will either get $420 out of me this holiday or nothing at all.

premium 360 w/revised innards
halo 3
mass effect

$420.

otherwise, i'll just keep replaying my ps2 games.

RumFore

Banned
quest said:

With the 360 you can play DVDs as well as experience way better visuals that the Wii will ever be capable of. The deal breaker though is that the 360 has a way better selection of games. At $250 the 360 is a better deal unless you want to hop and swing around your living room.

KINGMOKU

Karma Kramer said:
You obviously don't really want a 360 then if the price of a memory card is a deal-breaker.
Oh, I really do want a 360. I am in gaming purgatory right now. I own no next-gen system, and I cant find either of my DS recharger plugs. My gaming set-up is PATHETIC.

I should upload a damn picture of my pain right now. A broken Snes that looks like the terminator, a half-working N64, and a pink gamecube, along with a Saturn that I lost the AV plug for, and a PS1 without a memory card.

I want a 360, badly, but my cheap-ass self says screw that crap, when like OD just said, I owned all the systems last time, and didnt pay out the ass for them.

I wont do it, it goes against my cheap ass belief system.

Odysseus said:
no. the core as it is presently configured is a non-starter. the core simply must come with the contents of the premium (sans the hard drive, of course) if it is to be taken seriously as a sku.

so you want the wireless controller, hd cables, headset, hdd, ethernet cable, ect?

Ok understood.

Though do you honestly think the 360 Pro at $349 is a rip off compared to the $249 Wii? I just personally see the extra $100 as justified when you look at the competition's price-points.

MechDX

moku said:
Oh, I really do want a 360. I am in gaming purgatory right now. I own no next-gen system, and I cant find either of my DS recharger plugs. My gaming set-up is PATHETIC.

I should upload a damn picture of my pain right now. A broken Snes that looks like the terminator, a half-working N64, and a pink gamecube, along with a Saturn that I lost the AV plug for, and a PS1 without a memory card.

I want a 360, badly, but my cheap-ass self says screw that crap, when like OD just said, I owned all the systems last time, and didnt pay out the ass for them.

I wont do it, it goes against my cheap ass belief system.

Buy a Core and use the money from a PSOne memory card for a 360 one.:lol

KINGMOKU

MechDX said:
Buy a Core and use the money from a PSOne memory card for a 360 one.:lol
I wonder how much I could get for my gaming setup at Gamestop right now.

I'll grab a quick pic, and see if any gamestop emply. could answer. Give me a sec.

Odysseus

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
so you want the wireless controller, hd cables, headset, hdd, ethernet cable, ect?

Ok understood.

Though do you honestly think the 360 Pro at $349 is a rip off compared to the $249 Wii? I just personally see the extra $100 as justified when you look at the competition's price-points.

i don't factor the wii into the equation at all. the wii is not a system i would consider buying, it doesn't matter what the price is, and it's value in relation to the 360 is of no consequence. the 360 is the system i would buy (provided they actually made hardware that worked), and i'm just not willing to go above a certain threshold to actually get thing.

Odysseus said:

Really, I would think the HDD is the big difference.

Is it the wired controller? Is it the lack of headset? Is it the composite cables?

TDG

Banned
quest said:
The Wii also comes with internal storage/hot game/Wireless controller/wireless adaptor. If the 360 came with all that at 250 no one would bitch and it would be a casual friendly price.
So you honestly think that every single casual gamer out there is very knowledable, knows what goes into every box, etc? You think that some dumb**** parents shopping for their christmas won't think of $250 as a compelling price point because they know that you need a goddamn memory card?

If you honestly think that way, you're either kidding yourself, or you've never been in a game section of a store and watched clueless parents try to figure out what the difference is between Xbox Live 360.

Odysseus said:
i don't factor the wii into the equation at all. the wii is not a system i would consider buying, it doesn't matter what the price is, and it's value in relation to the 360 is of no consequence. the 360 is the system i would buy (provided they actually made hardware that worked), and i'm just not willing to go above a certain threshold to actually get thing.

Ok understood

I guess I just look at the situation a bit differently. I mean consoles have been priced at $200-$300 forever... so with inflation its not terrible that the Xbox 360 is $349.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Karma Kramer said:

Ok understood.

I think the HD cables should be included HD is the damn selling point of the thing like they should with the PS3. Head set nope core user is not going to take it online or they would buy the premium. Ethernet cable while nice is not a deal breaker. Hard drive nope but either a memory card or internal storage to match the Wii and PS3.

The core at 250 should include memory card/internal storage/premiums av component/compisite cable/controller. A big time greatest hits game would not hurt either to match the Wii.

Odysseus

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
Really, I would think the HDD is the big difference.

Is it the wired controller? Is it the lack of headset? Is it the composite cables?

it's mostly the controller and the cables. personally, i don't really care to go online with 360, so the headset is a non-issue.

in general, yeah, i stand by my assertion that the core needs to come with everything the premium does, except for the hard drive. which, of course, gets us back into the realm of wondering why we need multiple skus to start with if the hdd is the only difference. i dare say a better idea would be microsoft encouraging the sale of hard drives separately via coupons (buy a 360 and hdd together and get $20 off instantly!), which would allow them to advertise a low price on the system and actually have it matter for once.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So you honestly think that every single casual gamer out there is very knowledable, knows what goes into every box, etc? You think that some dumb**** parents shopping for their christmas won't think of $250 as a compelling price point because they know that you need a goddamn memory card?

If you honestly think that way, you're either kidding yourself, or you've never been in a game section of a store and watched clueless parents try to figure out what the difference is between Xbox Live 360.

The 360 and PS3 are way a way from the parent gift market. They need to start hitting some of the casual 18-35 year old gamers who would know that kind of stuff and they have lots and lots of money.

quest said:
I think the HD cables should be included HD is the damn selling point of the thing like they should with the PS3. Head set nope core user is not going to take it online or they would buy the premium. Ethernet cable while nice is not a deal breaker. Hard drive nope but either a memory card or internal storage to match the Wii and PS3.

The core at 250 should include memory card/internal storage/premiums av component/compisite cable/controller. A big time greatest hits game would not hurt either to match the Wii.

You do understand that Nintendo is profiting like $50-100 off the Wii while Microsoft would be losing money off the CORE even without all the stuff you just mentioned.

360 has better games and better visuals. That has got to count for something.

Odysseus

Banned
Karma Kramer said:

it apparently doesn't count for much if you ever take a glance at the npd charts. you and me might prefer the games of 360 over the games of wii, you might prefer the graphics (i personally don't care), but the general public seems to think the wii is where it's at right now, and it can't be all price. some of it, sure.

you put the emphasis on a $250 non-gimped 360 and put it up versus the wii at the same price, i'd like to say the 360 would win. but i can't say that right now and actually feel confident about it.

RumFore

Banned
At what point did some of you get into gaming? Nearly every new system has been around 199.99 at launch and stay at that price for around 2 years. After the launch of the PS1 and N64, consoles have needed a memory card. These systems have a LOT more features at just $50 in case of the Wii and possible 360 price drop. If your the type that wait for console price drops whats the problem with waiting some more?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Karma Kramer said:
You do understand that Nintendo is profiting like $50-100 off the Wii while Microsoft would be losing money off the CORE even without all the stuff you just mentioned.

I am sorry but a 64 meg memory card can't cost more than a few dollars. The premium HD cable can't cost more than a few dollars. I am not asking for wireless or a harddrive but 2 simple things that would help move units. That or drop the price to 199 I could live with that instead. MS should be breaking even or making money off the hardware even with the 50 dollar price cut. It has been 2 damn years costs have had to go down a ton the PS3 already dropped in price.

Top Bottom