• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

Mooreberg

LM4sure said:
shut the hell up. who do you think you are?

He's not looking at the larger picture anyway. Games aren't like music, movies, or TV's. The success of one brand always comes at the expense of what content is available on another. A few people here shelling out $50 more than they'd like to doesn't change anything in the long run if it doesn't result in a huge jump in adoption among people who don't post here. Doesn't really matter though. At the first sign of some heat, Nintendo can take out the pack-in game and sell their system at $199.

$250 for the core is a good price point to be at from a marketing standpoint. Everyone here acts like it is a crime against humanity to expect people to buy a memory card, but this has been the case for every console since the PS1. The average consumer is used to this.

The 360 64mb memory card is 29.99 very similar to the PS2 memory card which is $24.99. It is very similar to what the console market has done in the past. I know a lot of casuals who picked up 360s and they could care less about downloading arcade games, storing music, and downloading movies. All they need or care about is the space a memory card provides to save a game.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really hope the 65nm rumor is true and that all of them come with HDMI.

By the way 360 core have been cheaper than Wii since Wii was released in Sweden but that doesn't seem to have stopped the Wii from dominating 360 here.

Shamrock

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if this is a move to try to clear remaining stock off store shelves.

The 65nm systems are going to have major internal overhauls to improve reliability. I think when it releases, MS is going to have new packaging and really play the whole redesigned angle up. They have to restore consumer confidence and show people that these are newly designed and more reliable 360's.

So I can see them dropping the price now to try to clear some stock off the shelves, then right before Halo 3 they start stocking the shelves with the "Code name Falcon" systems with possibly another 50 dollar price drop.

Just to support this theory a little bit more, I was in my local game crazy this week and the manager told me that they haven't gotten a 360 shipment in for over a month. When they ran out of the 360's the only ones that were sent were factory refurbished systems sent from MS. I've seen them myself and they come in their own special packaging and say factory refurbished on them. To me, that definitely suggests that MS is holding back new shipments. The only possible reason I can think of is that they are waiting on the 65nm revisions.

evilromero said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Haha. Anticipating titles like Mario Galaxy and Metroid over Halo 3 and GTAIV! Ha, what was I thinking? *joins the crowd* Wooooo! HALO! I'll shelve my personal preference next time to maintain the fragile ego of any possible hardcore fan.

I like you. Most people just back down when they are confronted by another opinion.

brigadeer

Shamrock said:
I wouldn't be surprised if this is a move to try to clear remaining stock off store shelves.

The 65nm systems are going to have major internal overhauls to improve reliability. I think when it releases, MS is going to have new packaging and really play the whole redesigned angle up. They have to restore consumer confidence and show people that these are newly designed and more reliable 360's.

So I can see them dropping the price now to try to clear some stock off the shelves, then right before Halo 3 they start stocking the shelves with the "Code name Falcon" systems with possibly another 50 dollar price drop.

Just to support this theory a little bit more, I was in my local game crazy this week and the manager told me that they haven't gotten a 360 shipment in for over a month. When they ran out of the 360's the only ones that were sent were factory refurbished systems sent from MS. I've seen them myself and they come in their own special packaging and say factory refurbished on them. To me, that definitely suggests that MS is holding back new shipments. The only possible reason I can think of is that they are waiting on the 65nm revisions.

Has it even been confirmed that the 65nm chipsets are even close to becoming a reality? I know it has been confirmed that they are working towards that point, but I don't think there has been a timetable confirmed anywhere for it's eventual introduction into new systems. Am I wrong here? I just think there are a lot of people out there just expecting a move to 65nm here in the near future, and I don't think it's going to be that soon or that easy.

calder

$100 would have been nice, oh well.

I'm more interested in what the **** MS are doing with their prices in Canada. The fact they haven't adjusted their hardware for changing currency at all that I've seen is just ridiculous to me. $100 more on all sku's for Canada when the CAD has been around .94 USD for a while now?

brigadeer said:
Has it even been confirmed that the 65nm chipsets are even close to becoming a reality? I know it has been confirmed that they are working towards that point, but I don't think there has been a timetable confirmed anywhere for it's eventual introduction into new systems. Am I wrong here? I just think there are a lot of people out there just expecting a move to 65nm here in the near future, and I don't think it's going to be that soon or that easy.
Confirmed, no. But take a look at my link on the last page... it's just rumour but there's enough information there to make it interesting.

I'm seeing some pretty crazy talk here, even from people who's opinions I usually respect. When it comes to the 360 price drop all reason goes out the window. Some people have made some good points.

These are the factors pressuring a price drop:
* it's about damn time. the 360 is the console that has gone the longest time without a price drop. Consumers have been conditioned to EXPECT a price drop by now so people will wait for one they KNOW is coming.

* Sony just dropped the price. This increases point one even further, but at the same time the gap in price has been dramatically reduced and it looks like it's had a pretty good effect.

Microsoft can fight those two pressures by releasing great games, but there gets to a point where games just can't cut it anymore. A $50 price drop relieves ALL of that timing based pressure for another 6-8 months, while they again increase the gap between it and the PS3.

A $100 drop at this stage of the game DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. The marginal increase in sales will not be THAT much higher, and MS will STILL gain all of those mass market benefits of $299 next year.

The Wii is selling like gangbusters but right now it's a different segment of the population than the one that is interested in the 360. With things like WiiFit coming out this is even MORE true. So MS isn't actually faced with much pressure from the Wii right now. This year is about MS taking on Sony. Next year is when the Core will drop to $199, and a $299 premium and when you'll see a lot more casual games get released for the 360 as it combats the Wii.

Halo 3 + GTA4 + the rest of the ridiculous lineup already ensure that MS will win this holiday season in regards to unit sales (NOT INCLUDING THE WII) and this $50 further cements that. With WiiFit the Wii will still win the sales game though. I honestly think it's goign to sell a ridiculous amount.

Rocksteady33 said:
Has anyone pointed out that the price next to the 360 doesn't include the 99 cents like the DS and Wii do? Seems odd to me.

Ha! "The Cheapest Next Gen Console Money Can Buy".

Slick mother****ers.

Speevy said:
Stupid, stupid move.

Halo 3 is going to send 360s flying off the shelves regardless.

All they did here is weakened the impact for the inevitable drop to $299.

$50 price drops don't work when they bring the machine to the midpoint between two hundred dollar amounts.

I agree.

This is just leaving money on the table at a time where the 360 has a real strength and really doesn't have to. Stupid move, MS.

The should have regular price when Halo hits, then two months later, when you've had your Halo impulse buys, offer a Halo bundle pack at regular price or an unbundled pack at -$50. This way, you keep the momentum rolling through to the holidays, rather than blowing your load too early.

Crisis

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:
OK regardless, the 360 doesn't have any cents next to it, yet every other product on the page does. Might throw off the credibility of this ad.

Wait a minute. Folks he's right. That looks pretty suspicious.

MechDX

Rocksteady33 said:
Has anyone pointed out that the price next to the 360 doesn't include the 99 cents like the DS and Wii do? Seems odd to me.

not totally uncommon for WM to do this.

Pristine_Condition said:
The should have regular price when Halo hits, then two months later, when you've had your Halo impulse buys, offer a Halo bundle pack at regular price or an unbundled pack at -$50. This way, you keep the momentum rolling through to the holidays, rather than blowing your load too early.
I don't agree, but obviously everyone will have a different take on this.

Sure, there are tons of people that were going to buy the 360 for halo 3, but this price cut will help them generate momentum with those that weren't automatic halo 3 buyers. This cut + halo + gta 4 = massive sales. Plus as others have stated - the figure isn't even that important because so many people are waiting for a price cut simply because they know there's going to be a price cut.

Then you cut again at the end of November or beginning of December (when you have the falcon models on shelves)

WTFing

Banned
Since we can post RUMORS, I've found this pic:

360.jpg

Is this teh 65nm people talk about? Clean DIESEL + Nitrogen cooling ? Awesome

rs7k

I see a lot of people blasting $50 as a price cut, but you can see both Sony and Microsoft are extremely reluctant to drop the price. Both of them probably want it to be a long cycle, and Microsoft sure as shit won't recoup the Xbox1 losses with a 4-5 year cycle.

They both have a lot of room to drop in price.

my apologies if this has been posted, but at TRU (which is offering a $50 gift card w/ purchase of a 360) they have (or at least had when I worked there two years ago) a 30-day price guarantee so you can get the gift card this week and then go back next week and get the other $50 taken off the price.

Bugnology said:
Is this teh 65nm people talk about? Clean DIESEL + Nitrogen cooling ? Awesome
I'd buy one, but only if it spits flames and has that vacuum release noise (and dry ice effect) when I open the disc tray.

NinSoX

Banned
I don't agree on those saying they should cut the price now for 50$ and then again before the end of the year. It's just not a good idea to cut your price 2 times within a 5 month span. It doesn't give consumer confidence that the current price they buy it at is a good one.

NinSoX said:
I don't agree on those saying they should cut the price now for 50$ and then again before the end of the year. It's just not a good idea to cut your price 2 times within a 5 month span. It doesn't give consumer confidence that the current price they buy it at is a good one.
PS2 did it in Japan (and on a slightly longer timescale elsewhere). Didn't seem to harm them.

Shawn128

MechDX said:
Madden....anyone else notice that the commercials for "Madden Day", the release of Madden '08, shows the 360 controller and the commercial ends with the 360 splash screen and LIVE logo?

If anyone remembers.....Nintendo and EA had a deal back in the day, and a lot of commercials, madden included, ended with the Gamecube logo flashing across the screen. I dunno if it boosted GC Madden sales, but it sure as hell didn't affect PS2 or PS2 Madden sales :lol

Actually, I take back what I've been saying. What I think they'll do is price drop now, then bundle in a game or two later in the year and price cut spring next year.

Who knows, I might change my mind again soon. :lol

909er

Psychotext said:
Could be worse. I live in the UK where we have 17.5% sales tax. Luckily a few people have been running deals on the standalone premium to make it £229 which works out as about $465. RRP is £279 / $570. I have no idea what this price cut would work out to be for us, but I'd like to see the premium go to £249 and the elite to £299.

There's obviously places far worse in Europe too.

Damn, all this sales tax talk makes me wish I still lived in Oregon.

If this had dropped by $100 I'd definitely be purchasing one for my brother on his birthday. Ahh well, it's still nice to see a drop of some point and hopefully it'll motivate Sony to drop once more before the year is up.

Speevy said:
There's no way. 2 price drops in just a few months? People will interpret this as a red flag and it will hurt long-term sales.

The Xbox 360 has been on store shelves since November 2005, and the only sensible price drop is $100.

If they were going to drop the price $50, it should have happened in 2006.
I don't think consumers think about whether price drops are a sign of desperation or whatnot at all. They simply see the new price and act accordingly. Only us armchair sales analyst think about price drops in that way.

I fully expect MS to drop the 360 price a further $50 in mid-late November, before Thanksgiving. The Falcon motherboard 360s will be out by then, and I believe they will go for the jugular this holiday season.

Besides, an MS technical strategist already said that they expect Sony to drop the price of the PS3 one more time this fall. Dropping it by $50 now instead of the full $100 allows them to have another $50 pricedrop this fall in reaction to Sony's move, which is smart.

If the price drop is equivalent percentage wise across the 3 SKUs, the new prices would be:

Core - $260
Premium - $350
Elite - $420

I believe that looks likely.

Maxwell House said:
I don't think consumers think about whether price drops are a sign of desperation or whatnot at all. They simply see the new price and act accordingly. Only us armchair sales analyst think about price drops in that way.

I fully expect MS to drop the 360 price a further $50 in mid-late November, before Thanksgiving. The Falcon motherboard 360s will be out by then, and I believe they will go for the jugular this holiday season.

Besides, an MS technical strategist already said that they expect Sony to drop the price of the PS3 one more time this fall. Dropping it by $50 now instead of the full $100 allows them to have another $50 pricedrop this fall in reaction to Sony's move, which is smart.

I basically agree with everything you said. The PS3 dropping twice in a few months (or being the first to drop at all) gives it a greater air of desperation. If Microsoft staggers their $100 drop across two points this year, it'll generate two boosts in interest while cutting the revenue lost per console after Halo arrives by a decent chunk.

Besides, unless a product is failing at market, I don't think the general public looks at a price reduction as any sort of desperate move. It's just another step in the general product lifecycle that everything goes through.

Ranger X

They are one step closer to my wallet.
They only need 2 things now: 50$ less and a machine that doesn't break. Let's hope the redesign with be reliable. (65 milli version)

pswii60

Maxwell House said:
If the price drop is equivalent percentage wise across the 3 SKUs, the new prices would be:

Core - $249
Premium - $349
Elite - $399

I expect this

Good news if true and if it is .65 nm on the elite then I will gladly pick one up.
If not, I will pass and wait as I tend to prefer my rings on my fingers.

GhaleonEB

Maxwell House said:

Core - $260
Premium - $350
Elite - $420

I think they'd have to adjust the hard drive prices if they did that, as the $100/$180 gaps between the Core and Premium/Elite are based on the HDD prices. Unless they shuffle the contets of the boxes a well.

I think it's kind of silly for anyone to expect a second price drop this year. Microsoft held off for 21 months until this one - there's not going to be a second one until next year. It wouldn't surprise me if they did another $50 around the same time.

Emiru

Banned
Maxwell House said:

65nm gpus have already started production a month ago, the 65nm cpu should be out by september.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If there is a price cut, it's about time. I'll be waiting until next year though to be sure I can pick up a newer model/HDMI (hopefully?).

1) everyone has accepted that the ad is real? has any other person confirmed it? wouldn't store employees know by now?

2) if it is real, what sunday would that ad be for? august 4? would they print august 11 this far in advance?

bachikarn

Emiru said:
65nm gpus have already started production a month ago, the 65nm cpu should be out by september.

But the questions is, will we know they have been released or will they just start popping into x360's?

Emiru

Banned
bachikarn said:
But the questions is, will we know they have been released or will they just start popping into x360's?
we will know exactly when they show up, because someone will open up the console.

Good for Ms but is it true though?

Now to see the effect this will cause. I don't think it will cause that much of an effect. It's not really about the price drops and such. It's about the perception of the Xbox brand that people have in their minds right now.

Not a good sign.

I doubt it will cause any big spur in sales.

Top Bottom