• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

VALIS

Using my criteria of games that are

- Already released, in beta, or very close to being in beta
- Look professional
- Were not fucking made in fucking RPG Maker fuck

Here's my favorites list:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/VALIS/...yfavorites&p=1&sortmethod=alpha&numperpage=30

Mind you, there are still like 150 games I haven't rated yet so I very likely missed some good ones, but a lot of them looked like crap at a glance.

what are you using as criteria to see if the game is out/almost/beta for those games that have limited writeups?

Searching for the game name and seeing what's out there. There maybe have been a few that I missed in terms of being out or almost being out, but I think most of these are released somewhere or really close to being released.

Carm

Has the Favorited list been broken all day? Nothing I've tagged without up/down voting shows up in the favorites section.

gabbo

Searching for the game name and seeing what's out there. There maybe have been a few that I missed in terms of being out or almost being out, but I think most of these are released somewhere or really close to being released.

Ah, so you're searching them out on your own. I thought I had missed something within Greenlight itself

SparkTR

I'm surprised games like Fly'n and Routine have to go through Greenlight. Are Valve still accepting emails for admission or is this the only path for indies?

Lotto

Awww yiss.

The Real Texas is on there!

So far I've upvoted Project Zomboid and The Real Texas. Seems like the game's are gonna need a decent amount of votes to make it though, can't wait to sift through some more later.

Edit: oh snap NEOTOKYO is on here!

Riptwo

Voted for Receiver since it has some of the most interesting gun mechanics that I've tried out in a game. I just hope that a potential Steam release would get the creators to optimize it, because it's fully capable of ruining my machine while looking decidedly oldschool.

Glass Rebel

I'm wondering about two things:

1. Are people interested in a NeoGAF collection with all the games made by members? If EviLore/one of the mods is ok with it, I'd certainly make one.

2. Does this deserve a monthly round-up thread with suggestions etc.? Can't probably answer this yet since we don't know how successful this will be.

I'd like for Steam Greenlight to filter out games that I've already clicked on and put them in a separate category. As it is now, if you want to clear the list at some point you have to either upvote or downvote, leaving no room for games that are not ready yet but could be in the future.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I have this secret silly hope that through this we could get Konami to put up Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4. And have ArcSys put up BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I have this secret silly hope that through this we could get Konami to put up Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4. And have ArcSys put up BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger.

If those companies wanted those titles on Steam, they would be on Steam.

Greenlight isn't about convincing companies to put things on Steam, it's about convincing Steam to let certain games on the service.

I'm surprised games like Fly'n and Routine have to go through Greenlight. Are Valve still accepting emails for admission or is this the only path for indies?

They have not been officially accepting submissions for a few weeks now.

At the moment Steam is currently not accepting new game submissions as we transition to our new Steam Greenlight process. You can find out more about Steam Greenlight here: http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

Not sure how normal publishers are supposed to apply if it is their first time at this point.

Before they put this text up the last two or three La-Mulana submissions I made came back with a message telling me to wait for Greenlight. Heh.

Acosta

Collections so far it´s the best way to navigate this. The navigation tools need huge improvements, it´s near impossible to use the standard method.

Yeah I just went ahead and made a PLAYISM Picks collection for stuff our team is interested in.

Not sure if anyone will use it but browsing various collections really seems to be the only way to sift through the crap at the moment.

Twinduct

Hmm I was under the impression that greenlight would be 'another' option to push games on steam, not completely replace the original submission system?

Hmm I was under the impression that greenlight would be 'another' option to push games on steam, not completely replace the original submission system?

It did't replace anything. This is just a more user-friendly (and supposedly quicker) way for indie titles that normally would fall through the submission cracks to get on Steam.

deleted

I don't get the system yet I think.

So, lets look at Mutant Muds: It has 17.000 visitors and reached 1% completion. Lets say around 10.000 voted the game up (completely made up number) - does it need 100.000 upvotes to get approved?
I can see very few games that benefit from this process, if thats the deal.

Thats a lot more than most titles in there will ever get in livetime sales.

Chinner

Banned
It did't replace anything. This is just a more user-friendly (and supposedly quicker) way for indie titles that normally would fall through the submission cracks to get on Steam.

this. greenlight is to compliment valves own submission process in case they miss any good games.

Aaron

It doesn't replace anything. Think of it more as a front end edition to the current system. Valve is still going to look at these submissions and decide if they make it or not, but they won't have to wade through a mountain of shit to do it anymore. That'll be the users' job.

Detox

So, lets look at Mutant Muds: It has 17.000 visitors and reached 1% completion. Lets say around 10.000 voted the game up (completely made up number) - does it need 100.000 upvotes to get approved?

It's at 1% because they don't know the number of people that are going to vote the threshold will be adjusted according to how many people are actively voting,

Twinduct

It doesn't replace anything. Think of it more as a front end edition to the current system. Valve is still going to look at these submissions and decide if they make it or not, but they won't have to wade through a mountain of shit to do it anymore. That'll be the users' job.

this. greenlight is to compliment valves own submission process in case they miss any good games.

Ah ok. yeah sorry I was looking at the responses at the top about Steam not accepting submissions due to Greenlight and it had me worried.

Games like Fly'n will never reach the 'positive' goal, but looks like a title that would generally be released on Steam :p

Acosta

So far:

The Sea Will Claim Everything
La Mulana
Waking Mars
Inquisitor
Heaven Variant
Miner Wars
Planet Stronghold
Oniken
Neo Scavenger
Inmortal Defense
Gnomoria
Towns
Steam Marines
Guts
Perpetuum
War of the Human Tanks
Project Zomboid
Project Mulana
Mc Pixel
Organ Trail

Krilekk

Banned

I think that's the whole point. Steam never wanted to have an excessive number of games on the service, they want to have games that sell well. Greenlight isn't changing that, it just makes it so that potentially successful games that Valve overlooks due to the sheer number of games that want to be on Steam can still make it. A game that potentially sells only 10k copies is never gonna be on Steam one way or the other.

Top Bottom