• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

benjipwns

Banned
those russians really don't get that greenlight is not a request feature
Anyone who's been on SteamGifts can tell people won't understand these things. The number of people who create giveaways on that thinking it automatically gives the game away free to people (without anyone having to actually buy it) is amusing.

Russians are over-represented in doing that on there as well.

More reasons to impeach Obama really.

GcRayden

I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at my game on greenlight and tell me what you think.

Wave Cave

wavecaveboxart2-1.png

Flyn

Neo Member
If you don't mind me asking, is this the first Fly'n Submission to steam? Were you guys waiting for Greenlight before trying to submit?

Sorry, I did not see your question. Well we contacted Steam some time ago, and they suggested that we submitted our content on Greenlight when it was released. That because our game fited well the profile of game (indie) they wanted to see on Greenlight. But I'm not aware of everything.
However we were quite pleased to be on Greenlight, because we are not the kind of game that will have huge advertising etc... we thought it was a good way to meet directly people, exchange with them and make our game more known before its release. (if we are selected of course)

The youtube system needs to change it only benefit trolls.
Also as someone said, change the down vote button to "dont show me this game again". There are game that I dont want to see, but If they really have a following I dont want to fuck with their upvotes.
The down vote button is just terrible, worst thing in all greenlight.

Hey guys! I saw some of you listed our games in the games the voted for. Thanks a lot!
But we are kind of lost in the flow of all the new games and already late compared to the the most liked games. So if you allow me here is the link of our Greenlight page. Thanks for visiting ;).
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92925091&searchtext=

Upvoted and quoted for the next page. The game looks beautiful.

I'm wondering about two things:

1. Are people interested in a NeoGAF collection with all the games made by members? If EviLore/one of the mods is ok with it, I'd certainly make one.

2. Does this deserve a monthly round-up thread with suggestions etc.? Can't probably answer this yet since we don't know how successful this will be.

This would be really good.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
What's with all of the Slender Man games on there? I must have seen like eight of them when browsing the first three pages yesterday. >_>

megalowho

Also as someone said, change the down vote button to "dont show me this game again". There are game that I dont want to see, but If they really have a following I dont want to fuck with their upvotes.
I don't see what's so bad about it. Does it belong on Steam? Upvoted. Does it not belong on Steam? Downvoted. Is it somewhere in the middle or too early to tell? Nothing. Makes sense to me, not trying to crush anyone's dreams here or anything.

Hinomura

Pass, 50% on metacritic and the reviews say the melee combat is dull.

Metacritic and all, but it's the "vanilla" version they released one year before the "extended" edition:

Extended Edition includes:

more scary scenes, sounds and situations
improved face expressions
new gameplay elements (lvl 4)
new savepoints and chapters
new light and special effects
improved storytelling
new game introduction
all new cutscenes (camera, sound, animations, face FX)
improved sound of characters and environment
improved character animations
optimization –lightning and performance for Xbox360
new tutorial system
newly balanced gameplay
small technical improvements
new combat system

Only review I've found about the extended version: here

Edit: and it's only ten bucks on Gamersgate

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
I don't see what's so bad about it. Does it belong on Steam? Upvoted. Does it not belong on Steam? Downvoted. Is it somewhere in the middle or too early to tell? Nothing. Makes sense to me, not trying to crush anyone's dreams here or anything.

well in the description it seemed like steam didn't even know exactly how they wanted to use their voting system.
better to make suggestions before 4chan gets their hands on it IMO
steam said:
How many votes does a game need to get selected?
It's going to change during the first few days/weeks since we don't know what kind of traffic to expect. Part of the drive for this system is the need for customers to help us prioritize which games they want to see made available on Steam. So the specific number of votes doesn't matter as much as relative interest in a game compared with other games in Steam Greenlight.

We're going to be reaching out to developers as we see their games getting traction regardless of whether they have achieved a specific number of votes or are sitting 1st or 2nd place at any given time. We are most interested in finding the games that people want, not requiring them to always hit a specific number of votes.

~ via http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=765&section=faq

zulux21

if you don't want to see the game again you can't choose the nothing though... that's the issue the other person was talking about. There were a number of games that I wasn't interested in that I ended up down voting even though I didn't think they were so terrible that they shouldn't be on steam just because I didn't feel they deserved an up vote quite yet and I didn't want to see them again while I was browsing.

So you mean its horrible and probably not really a game. Flag it. If im not interested in a game, but its a real game and some people may apreciate it, im not going to down vote it to fuck with them, but im not going to upvote it becuase its also not my type.
Basicaly what Valve wants right now is force people to downvote or upvote to take that game from their cluttered viewing list. A system than only benefits trolls and mediocre games, and does not really give a chance to VERY good games of untypical genres.
Downvote button right now is, "I dont want to see this game in my list again becuase im not really interested" but taking down points to what can be a totally legitimate game.
Ive seen already a handfull of trolls using the downbutton because the game is not their thing, or hate the type of game, but the game being totally professional and looking really amazing.

megalowho

if you don't want to see the game again you can't choose the nothing though... that's the issue the other person was talking about. There were a number of games that I wasn't interested in that I ended up down voting even though I didn't think they were so terrible that they shouldn't be on steam just because I didn't feel they deserved an up vote quite yet and I didn't want to see them again while I was browsing.
Agreed, that along with the constant shuffling of games as you browse makes Greenlight pretty frustrating to wade through in it's current state. A 'Hide' option that doesn't affect rating should be there as well. I personally wouldn't use that feature instead of downvoting if a 'no thanks' response is appropriate, though.

So you mean its horrible and probably not really a game. Flag it. If im not interested in a game, but its a real game and some people may apreciate it, im not going to down vote it to fuck with them, but im not going to upvote it becuase its also not my type.
Steam is not a place for every game on the internet to show up so long as it's not a scam, it's a cultivated storefront with standards. I'll continue using Greenlight to highlight the titles I feel belong in that environment and providing constructive criticism for the ones that don't in their current state. If it's something I'm completely uninterested in (say, Slender Man games) I just ignore those, and hope the folks that do care act accordingly as a whole.

zulux21

Ive seen already a handfull of trolls using the downbutton because the game is not their thing, or hate the type of game, but the game being totally professional and looking really amazing.

I wouldn't be surprised if in general the down vote button was considered skip button by steam and they only pay attention to the up votes.

I mean logic dictates that if a game gets 50k up votes it will likely sell decently, and that would remain true even if that same game had 200k down votes. There is pretty much no way that you will lose customers just because you allow a game some people aren't interested in to be put on steam, meanwhile you would lose potential sales if a game was catching the interest of people, but others just weren't interested so you didn't publish it. (obviously it would require enough interest to be worth having on your store from the start but that is what the whole voting up is for :p)

Now steam does need to avoid flooding their store with to much stuff, but that can easily be done by limiting how many games you can put up from greenlight in a week. I mean you could easily put up one a day and not have any issues with properly promoting them.

It will be fun to see how greenlight grows and evolves though.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's like an elevator close door button that doesn't work. It just makes you feel good to press it, but does nothing, other than the game disappears from your list.

I wouldn't be surprised if in general the down vote button was considered skip button by steam and they only pay attention to the up votes.

I mean logic dictates that if a game gets 50k up votes it will likely sell decently, and that would remain true even if that same game had 200k down votes. There is pretty much no way that you will lose customers just because you allow a game some people aren't interested in to be put on steam, meanwhile you would lose potential sales if a game was catching the interest of people, but others just weren't interested so you didn't publish it.

Now steam does need to avoid flooding their store with to much stuff, but that can easily be done by limiting how many games you can put up from greenlight in a week. I mean you could easily put up one a day and not have any issues with properly promoting them.

It will be fun to see how greenlight grows and evolves though.

I hope thats what really is, and that Valve explains it at the front page if thats the case as soon as they can. If thats the case, it will be good for troll attempts, but right now its frustating people like me that dont really want to fuck with games im not interested but are not bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's like an elevator close door button that doesn't work. It just makes you feel good to press it, but does nothing, other than the game disappears from your list.

Hey hey hey, thats useful in my elevator lol

demidar

Hmmm there seems to be a lot of survival horrors, no doubt due to the success of Amnesia, but I tire of looking at them and RPG maker games. Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon and only serious submissions will fill Greenlight.

Also wouldn't mind the people putting up blatant troll entries to get their Steam account banned. That would be delicious.

Platy

I know this is like the first day the page exists ... but it is REALLY strange to see games with almost 1000 favorites with 0% calculated ratings ....

Greenlight is like the High Expectations Asian Father of indie gaming =P

Haunted

I want a "I've seen this game" button without having to up- or downvote it, as well as a "next entry" (or make it random entry) function, so I can sift through entries easier instead of waiting for 2 pages to load per entry.

Also, the amount of Russian entries is surprising.

Carm

Spent all night going through all the games.

484 down voted

54 in favorites, probably all being up voted.

I don't understand the complaints about down voting. Will there be some trolls yep, that doesn't mean the system doesn't work as intended. If I down vote something, either I'm not interested in it, or actually don't want it showing up on Steam. Either way, I don't want those clogging up the service and taking potential sales away from other products, by wasting daily or other sales on them. If down voting was removed, i wouldn't bother voting at all.

On another note, I'm starting to think Russians shouldn't be able to submit games unless verified developers by Valve, lots of spam from them I, and I'm sure others have reported.

Carm

Submitting games from EA and other publishers heh. Now it's not just, they just seem to be doing it the most.

Haunted

As someone on the Steam forums said:

"The biggest issue here is trying to know if the uploader is the real author. Famous games are being added non-stop by players of the games, who think this system is just a public wishlist."

Seen Mass Effect, Battlefield, Most Wanted and many other EA games just submitted there. Also Spelunky and other games clearly not made by the original author.

People are suggesting a small fee ($10 - $100) to submit a game to Greenlight in order to deter the most obvious trolls. Not sure what I think about that.

Aaron

People are suggesting a small fee ($10 - $100) to submit a game to Greenlight in order to deter the most obvious trolls. Not sure what I think about that.
Valve could put the money into a pool, and have the highest rated indie that month get it. Or something. Fee should be low though.

You can always change your vote later if they start showing things on the page that look promising.

HoosTrax

On another note, I'm starting to think Russians shouldn't be able to submit games unless verified developers by Valve, lots of spam from them I, and I'm sure others have reported.
Seriously. I don't know if the issue is that Russian are somehow more dense on average than the typical Steam audience, or if there isn't a Russian language version of the Green Light page.

As it is, I wish I had a script that would auto-downvote on:
- Russian language found in the description
- wall of text with no newlines in the description
- no trailer
- mention of "iOS" anywhere in the description
- submitting party has a brony avatar
- submitting party is using a free, non-Premium Steam account
- submitting party has profile disabled

I tentatively think this might be a good idea. But with the additional stipulations that if the game is accepted or the author voluntarily pulls the game, then the submission fee is refunded. If the game is removed due to violating any of the terms, the fee is forfeit.

Haunted

I tentatively think this might be a good idea. But with the additional stipulations that if the game is accepted or the author voluntarily pulls the game, then the submission fee is refunded. If the game is removed due to violating any of the terms, the fee is forfeit.
I like this, except that it should be forfeit when the game is pulled by the author as well.

I don't think a small fee would be too much to ask from a developer who's serious about getting his game on steam. Really, just 10 Euros or so.

beril

Seriously. I don't know if the issue is that Russian are somehow more dense on average than the typical Steam audience, or if there isn't a Russian language version of the Green Light page.

As it is, I wish I had a script that would auto-downvote on:
- Russian language found in the description
- wall of text with no newlines in the description
- no trailer
- mention of "iOS" anywhere in the description
- submitting party has a brony avatar
- submitting party is using a free, non-Premium Steam account
- submitting party has profile disabled

Hey, that's not really fair. There might quite a few iOS ports that doesn't really belong on PC, but there are plenty that do, and for any indie dev that has failed getting onto steam, releasing the game on iOS or Android is pretty much the only way to get some money, and most the review quotes will likely be from the iOS version.

I hope thats what really is, and that Valve explains it at the front page if thats the case as soon as they can. If thats the case, it will be good for troll attempts, but right now its frustating people like me that dont really want to fuck with games im not interested but are not bad.

That's what I'm wondering about, too! Our game (Marvin's Mittens) has some portion of down-votes that surprise me. I can see it because I'm the author, I suppose. On a place like youtube, down votes of even a 25% magnitude are reserved for when something is truly rotten, or if there's a general negative backlash towards a movement. One good example is the reveal trailer for Burnout:Crash.

I've said it a couple times in this thread, but seeing the GAF member projects is so awesome. I've been working on games both in studios and at home all while participating on GAF to keep spirits high. When something like this Greenlight launches and you get to see your work next to people you've talked to or worked next to for so long, it feelsgoodman.gif.

Carm

I wouldn't down vote every iso port, but would the majority, not all of them are bad. I will, if I find out they are, down vote every flash game put up. It's difficult to hit the up vote on a iSO port when the video they post shows people controlling the game with an Ipad heh.

As for to many to rate yea... I feel sorry for the people not starting to rate immediately. The number of games to rate is gonna get out of hand pretty quick.

HoosTrax

Hey, that's not really fair. There might quite a few iOS ports that doesn't really belong on PC, but there are plenty that do, and for any indie dev that has failed getting onto steam, releasing the game on iOS or Android is pretty much the only way to get some money, and most the review quotes will likely be from the iOS version.
I guess it's more of a personal bias than a "universal truth" regarding quality. I've seen some very polished looking iOS port submissions. It's just the overall artstyle (oversized player avatars and HUD elements), along with the controls and simplistic gameplay that tend to predominate in games designed first and foremost for the iOS platform that I'm not fond of.

Acosta

Valve needs to clarify what is the use of the thumbs down. If it´s for skipping, I'm fine with it and it would prove useful but I don't want to downrate any game.

Top Bottom