• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

I hope the take down is for:
1.Take the down vote button. It seems is really a down vote and not, I dont want to see this game again.
2. Only people that have make a game can submit it. Between the russians and the trolls this is getting ridiculous.
4. Only accounts with games can vote and upload.
3.Heavier bannings for any troll attempts.

EDIT: Fuck, its only the page went down, its going again and as bad as ever.

That's what I'm wondering about, too! Our game (Marvin's Mittens) has some portion of down-votes that surprise me. I can see it because I'm the author, I suppose. On a place like youtube, down votes of even a 25% magnitude are reserved for when something is truly rotten, or if there's a general negative backlash towards a movement. One good example is the reveal trailer for Burnout:Crash.

I've said it a couple times in this thread, but seeing the GAF member projects is so awesome. I've been working on games both in studios and at home all while participating on GAF to keep spirits high. When something like this Greenlight launches and you get to see your work next to people you've talked to or worked next to for so long, it feelsgoodman.gif.

Wait what?
So that means that down votes possibly count. Fuck this system Valve, this isnt youtube.
Again good luck with your game, already upvoted yesterday, and it looks really cool. Love the drawing the wild animals aspect.

Haunted

If they ban every account doing troll entries we won't have a lot of Russian Steam members left by the end of the week.

Wait what?
So that means that down votes possibly count. Fuck this system Valve, this isnt youtube.
Again good luck with your game, already upvoted yesterday, and it looks really cool. Love the drawing the wild animals aspect.

Yeah, to me it seems like they've got a hotornot.com situation here. It's extreme harshness just because of the language of the site. Down vote sounds very harsh when in fact it could just mean "pass" for most people!

I personally would just get rid of down-vote for now. When it becomes a popularity contest you need to get rid of any potential shenanigans. Flagging would do for now though :)

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I just got a "new comment" notification for one of the Greenlight games I commented on, because the author made a comment (not in reply to me). Is this happening to anyone else?

...I'm okay with getting notifications but only for direct replies or games I have in my favorites list. If commenting on something automatically signs you up for further updates, I'm basically not gonna leave feedback anymore. Ugh.

Yesssss! Can somebody do it? I don't know if I should, since my profile is my company's (ie, linked to my game)

Hopefully they are adding in a field "suggested price", as we were saying earlier :p

I voted for those Mittens too, but a friend of mine submitted a game and he's telling me that there is too many downvotes compared to upvotes. Stopping the troll submits may be possible but stopping troll downvotes seems harder.

beril

I voted for those Mittens too, but a friend of mine submitted a game and he's telling me that there is too many downvotes compared to upvotes. Stopping the troll submits may be possible but stopping troll downvotes seems harder.

Any other devs feel like disclosing their stats?

Gunman Clive is currently at 75% positive; no idea if thats good or not and its annoying as hell that I can't see the actual number of votes. Other than to the few games that have recieved tens of thousands visitors and started getting a few precentages, there is no way to really gauge how my game is doing compared to others.

Link Man

Banned

Gunman Clive is currently at 75% positive; no idea if thats good or not and its annoying as hell that I can't see the actual number of votes. Other than to the few games that have recieved tens of thousands visitors and started getting a few precentages, there is no way to really gauge how my game is doing compared to others.

Wow, upvoted. Looks great.

Yeah, to me it seems like they've got a hotornot.com situation here. It's extreme harshness just because of the language of the site. Down vote sounds very harsh when in fact it could just mean "pass" for most people!

I personally would just get rid of down-vote for now. When it becomes a popularity contest you need to get rid of any potential shenanigans. Flagging would do for now though :)

Its an idiotic system and it needs to be remodeled. The only ones that are taking advantage of this system are trolls.
Im very scared when our team sumbits the game to greenlight becuase of what I have seen this two days.

Ironmask

russians, russians everywhere....

lol.jpg

AlejandroDaJ

Neo Member
Cute Things Dying Violently is currently at 58% positive, which is... ouch. I'm getting banged up for looking like a Flash game that "belongs on Newgrounds."

I can't decide if the downvote button is terrible or ingenious. If I ignore my stake in this, I think I gotta side with "ingenious", since it means only true crowd pleasers with built-in audiences will reach Valve's attention. Nothing will "squeak" through. Which I guess seems fair, if only there were (a) better discoverability beyond lists and (b) less power given to trolls.

I have a few more cards up my sleeve for CTDV's success on PC, but it looks like I might have to move forward on a more Steam-friendly project.

I'm sure Valve will catch on to the downvote issues and just focus on a games upvotes and how much traction the game gets. The most highly rated and praised games will have its own group of outspoken haters, so it does not make sense for them to take downvotes into consideration.

Gaspode_T

even some super amazingly successful mobile games (made by pretty large teams and having awesome graphics etc) seem to be getting banged up "keep this s''#! on mobile" is the common theme in the comments sections...it is the PC gamer purity thing showing its ugly side, I wish people could be more accepting of genres they are not interested in and just not vote on those, there is a genre filter but people don't seem to want to use it.

If it is RPG and has fantasy elements it seems to get pass, even Minecraft clones are not getting stellar votes as far as I can tell, so maybe doesn't even match with potential sales which would be bad for longterm success of this thing...

honorless

Man, what is with LAYERNET? They're flooding the place with submissions—has anyone else put forward as much? I dunno, it just seems a bit shady.

Vastag

I can't decide if the downvote button is terrible or ingenious. If I ignore my stake in this, I think I gotta side with "ingenious", since it means only true crowd pleasers with built-in audiences will reach Valve's attention. Nothing will "squeak" through. Which I guess seems fair, if only there were (a) better discoverability beyond lists and (b) less power given to trolls.

I hope that they will change the downvote to "Not interested" or that at least that it will be ignored in games with lots of upvotes.

NewFresh

Cute Things Dying Violently is currently at 58% positive, which is... ouch. I'm getting banged up for looking like a Flash game that "belongs on Newgrounds."

I have a few more cards up my sleeve for CTDV's success on PC, but it looks like I might have to move forward on a more Steam-friendly project.

I upvoted it yesterday, but did see the "newgrounds" comments.

Haunted

Yeah, the downvote button should be a skip/don't show this again button instead - there's already the report function for wrongfully submitted games and if someone doesn't want a game on Steam even though the submission is legitimate, the lack of upvotes will do the job.

That said, I want to clean my list of things I haven't rated yet, so some games I dislike rather than like get the downvote button for now (sorry!).

Play the flash version and change your mind :/
:( But the videos and screens look so good...

Roto13

I can't imagine there are many games I would downvote instead of just ignoring. Maybe One Chance if they tried to get that on there.

Whole Greenlight is Newgrounds at the moment so don't worry. But as long as we got you may I ask what is your price for this game? And can we mod it to add porings in it. Or even a whole Ragnarök Online mod?

Sounds good man, let's get some transparency going here. Marvin's Mittens has got, as of writing, a neat 60% up, 40% down right now. I find that shocking, as on a YouTube of the Internet you wouldn't get nearly that many down votes.

Those "belongs on newgrounds" comments are kind of out control. GAF knows this but awesome shops, like Jakub & co. at Amanita Design, produced Machinarium in Flash. :)

I don't really downvote anything. If a game doesn't appeal to me I just ignore it. Why should I hurt the game's chances when the very action of it being on Steam and me never buying it hurts nobody, while it not being on Steam at all hurts a lot of people.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

honorless

While we're talking about transparency...I hope that BudokaiMR2 weighs in on how the statistics for La-Mulana look. Honestly, that is the one game I was anticipating Greenlight for and it's still at 0% :mad:

And can we mod it to add porings in it.
This made me chuckle.

Aselith

Too much work! I approved/disapproved like 50 projects last night and I woke up with the ones from last night plus 100 extras today. I need to quit my job and start Greenlighting full time! (Or they need to make a mobile app and I'll do it at work.)

AlejandroDaJ

Neo Member
Whole Greenlight is Newgrounds at the moment so don't worry. But as long as we got you may I ask what is your price for this game? And can we mod it to add porings in it. Or even a whole Ragnarök Online mod?

I'm gonna add the ability to load custom spritesheets for the Critters during the next update, I think. It's trivially easy to do. The only effort required would be in making some new custom sheets for others to use as a guide.

NewFresh

I don't really downvote anything. If a game doesn't appeal to me I just ignore it. Why should I hurt the game's chances when the very action of it being on Steam and me never buying it hurts nobody, while it not being on Steam at all hurts a lot of people.

This is exactly what I am doing. I wish there was a hide functionality, but I have no desire to put a game or the dev down.

I was reading the comments for Mutant Mudds and people saying things about the game already being on 3DS, so they downvote it... this completely bogs my mind.

Twinduct

I've only voted down two things. One was a terrible minecraft clone and the second was some type of horde zombie game.

But I've just been reporting spam/ copyrighted shit/ troll attempts all day. Wake up Valve, there's a shit load of games to ban!

I'm gonna add the ability to load custom spritesheets for the Critters during the next update, I think. It's trivially easy to do. The only effort required would be in making some new custom sheets for others to use as a guide.

That's a nice idea. Mods are a great way to make your games popular.

Also can we get a thread for the GAFers on Greenlight? Greenlight's comment system is inefficient and full of trolls at the moment and I really want to see brilliant GAFer games instead of fakes.

alstein

Needs a better way to tell what you've voted on, and what is close to getting on there.

Thankfully one game that interested me is going to be on Gamersgate anyways.

I was reading the comments for Mutant Mudds and people saying things about the game already being on 3DS, so they downvote it... this completely bogs my mind.

I actually wrote a discussion on there because of how bad ratings for games that might look maybe a little bit like they were made in Flash as instant down vote with rude comments like any old chump can make a good Flash based game.

Something like Binding of Isaac or VVVVV stood a chance to never get accepted if they were on Greenlight and depended on it.

Haunted

I don't think they do. I just treat the downvote button as "take this off my list of games to rate, I'm not interested".
Yup. If there's something actively wrong with the submission, I report it.

As it is, I wish I had a script that would auto-downvote on:
- Russian language found in the description
- wall of text with no newlines in the description
- no trailer
- mention of "iOS" anywhere in the description
- submitting party has a brony avatar
- submitting party is using a free, non-Premium Steam account
- submitting party has profile disabled
harsh

Though I'd do the same for the words "tower" and "defence". :p

ALEA JACTA EST

This looks like Europe Universalis during Roman Era.

"Cool idea, but looks too clunky and ugly for Steam." from the comments. WTF. Honestly, I think XBLIG/WP's process is better than Project Greenlight at the moment. Valve really needs to step in and set expectations for the service (both for developers AND for "reviewers") as well as provide a much better UI (one that doesn't encourage downvotes to clear the list of things to consider, for example). Just really disappointing so far, but I know it is early.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not to retread old territory, but you shouldn't necessarily worry about your vote data just yet since it's essentially meaningless as Valve will spend the next few days/weeks or so sorting through the data to ascertain a reasonable goal one must achieve to be submitted for approval. At present, the requisite goal is unrealistically high for this very reason.

Top Bottom