• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

HUELEN10 said:
Look at the cowman. Nice sweatshirt!

If the press is really getting these, then it is time to look on eBay!
He's mad because a certain individual stole his bike, right?

test_account

XP-39C²
I saw a magazine ad for Punch-Out!! Wii for the first time today. Not that i really read many magazines though, but it is the first time that i saw it :) I think that it looks pretty cool. Here is a scan that i did of it:

pmUbZcGKb.jpg

Here is a fast translation of what the text in the ad says:

"Win back the titlebelt (?) on the Wii.

Take the step back into the ring now that Punch-Out!! does a comback on the Wii. Meet known opponents like King Hippo, or duel/fight (or something like that) with friends and family in the ring. With the Wii Remote and Nunchuk you will get a realistic boxing experience as you let the "power punches" (not sure how to translate this, sorry) fly. If you hold the Wii Remote sideways, then you can control it retro-style with lovely one-two combinations like in the good old NES and Super-NES days.

No matter in which way you box, all opponents has 3 challenges that you must make/beat to be awarded with a "punch-perfect performance". Lead Little Mac to yet another world championship title in Punch-Out!! This is boxing at it's finest!"

The text on the Punch-Out!! box says "Being released on 22th of May", and the text on the Wii consoles says "The world fastest selling gaming console" :)

The balance board controls are terrible at best. They add nothing to the game because you have to lean to one side and then "click" your body down as if you're standing on a giant button. The game obviously isn't made for leaning from side to side, so you can only dodge to the sides as usual - with the balance board it's impossible to do it fast enough when you're under attack from one of the super attacks that has many fast punches in a row.

Video is uploading by the way. Had some trouble with the encode as usual, but I'm pretty satisfied.

Struct09

A quote from the review which addresses a major concern for the skeptics:

Sharkey said:
Just as importantly, Punch Out!! is not a short game. The Major, Minor, and World circuits include all the original fighters, a couple new ones, and even reintroduces some characters from the under-appreciated SNES game. But it may seem that it's cleaving just a little too close to its source material. Beating the last guy and winning the championship is an accomplishment, to be sure, but it wouldn't have been enough. Fortunately, that's where the game really comes into its own.

Title Defense mode, unlocked upon completion of the original three circuits, isn't just some kind of tacked-on bonus. In fact, it's more than half of the game. Each of your opponents return; faster, tougher, and with whole new patterns that subvert your expectations. It's kind of a shock when, after finally taking down
Mr. Sandman
and claiming the belt, you get your ass completely handed to you by Glass freaking Joe. The realization dawns that if he's actually managed to become a credible threat, what is the last guy you narrowly scraped past going to be like when you finally make it that far? The original three circuits are practically an introduction.

beelzebozo said:
what an awesome fucking review.

sharkey continues his "the man" status.

He was the one who played Punch-out!! in the Game Night, no?
Because I liked a lot waht he telled when he was playing it, it seemd that he loved to play good games only because they were fun.

ARAN RYAN in the offcial website!
http://punchout.nintendo.com/
Doesnt have the mustache we thought he had in the video.
EDIT: Oh shit, he doesnt have video!

EDIT 2: OH SHIT, ALL THE BOXERS FROM THE WORLD CIRCUIT ARE PRESENT!!!!

Lambtron said:
:O

God I don't know how I'm gonna survive until Tuesday... :O

We have to wait til Friday :(

I hope that by Wednesday some stores will sell it.

Wow, the title defense video in the 1UP review looks incredible! I cannot wait for this game.

Watching the player in the video always dodge right made me wonder how others play. I have a habit of always dodging left; feels more natural for some reason. Anyone else here always dodge one way or the other? Anyone mix it up? Always try to dodge into punches or away from punches?

SpacePirate Ridley said:
ARAN RYAN in the offcial website!
http://punchout.nintendo.com/
Doesnt have the mustache we thought he had in the video.
EDIT: Oh shit, he doesnt have video!

EDIT 2: OH SHIT, ALL THE BOXERS FROM THE WORLD CIRCUIT ARE PRESENT!!!!

Hey Nintendo, Bald Bull was in Super Punch-Out!!, you know? My need for this game has reached insurmountable desire. GIMME!

Piano

Banned
Title Defense video looks awesome, except that it sucks that they brought back the heart nonsense. Sucked in NES Punch-Out!!, sucks now.

JasonMCG said:
Have there been any reviews that mention whether or not the balance board adds anything (good)?

FoxHimself said:
The balance board controls are terrible at best. They add nothing to the game because you have to lean to one side and then "click" your body down as if you're standing on a giant button. The game obviously isn't made for leaning from side to side, so you can only dodge to the sides as usual - with the balance board it's impossible to do it fast enough when you're under attack from one of the super attacks that has many fast punches in a row.

It's not in a review though :p

dyls

Is anyone else surprised that they put Aran Ryan in? I mean, Aryan continues to have a fairly negative connotation.

dyls said:
His name is A. Ryan

You don't think that was intentional?

I dont think that Hitler thought of aryans to be irish redhairs, and also dont think that Genyo Takeda thought that when he did Aran Ryan in Super Punch-Out!!

I think your are stretching it there.

Updated the OP with the awesome reviews and I am loving what I am seeing now of this game. I :lol at the new Super Macho Man look. It is awesome, :lol

I will say to the people to take caution with the IGN video review. IS FULL OF SPOILERS.

Aran Rayn's cutscene is awesome. Next level games have again gaved personality to a character that didnt have much.

Woot! They retained Popinski & Macho Man's supreme cheesiness! They're my two favorites and I was a bit worried that they would tone that down. But they seemed to have ramped it up even more. :D

Now that I've seen Aran's art, he seems more interesting. They even have art for the ref! I hope a complete set gets released soon.

Posted this on the IGN review comments as well, but figured I'd chime in here with it.

I was very much a skeptic. I love old school games, but this was too much of a "gameplay port" for me, since all of Punch-Out!! is pattern recognition. No new patterns, no new challenge...

New Post:
Just got into the Title Defense mode after the first playthrough, and yeah, the pattern learning is still very much there.

Glass Joe put up a fight.

Basically the first half of the game is nothing but nostalgia and an easy mode for casual players (and a new punch here and there) but the real guts is in Title Defense. It's deceptive though... your first hour or so (if you tear through the main game that fast) is like "Really? That's all they added?"

Gets much better during Title Defense mode. Same models, but all new fighters as far as patterns, punches, intros, taunts, and even supers.

A little something for those skeptical. Title Defense has me pretty convinced. I just wish there was online leaderboards... time challenge anyone!?

Masked Man said:
Oh my god,
Super Macho Man
is DISGUSTING. It's so hilarious. :lol

I hope he still does the mesmerizing man-boob shake.

And holy fuck,
Bald Bull
is fucking terrifying. Something is just wrong there. :lol

Chumly

Can anyone explain what you do in Training mode?

Also wasnt there one last mode? Something like Last Stand? Or something? What is it?

FoxHimself said:
Here's the video containing fights with Soda Popenski, SUPER MACHO MAN and Glass Joe Redux: http://www.dagbladet.no/tv/index.html?clipid=31557

I have NO idea what the hell happened to the quality of the video.

Oh God, the Russian remix of the fight theme. I can't wait until someone manages to extract the music from this game.

Which reminds me, I wonder if this'll be like some other Wii games, and people can actually rip models from it and place them in GMod? Because these guys would fit seamlessly into the TF2 world.

Soda Popinski is amazing, I love his cut scenes and theme. It's cool to see the characters even have artwork for their Title Defense forms.

Top Bottom