• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

oracrest

quinntendopower said:
not complete:

i did not see a single 007-373-5963 anywhere in the new punch out

I'll admit that I thought the announcer should have gone through the entire 10 count when King Hippo gets knocked down... instead of insta-win.

The funny thing is that this time they were more important the canadian directors of the game, and all their team than the japanese team.
Why the fuck there is not the director of Punch-Out!! and the director of Next level in the interview just amazes me (in the bad way).
I know they are talking about the whole saga, but it was NL who bring it to live again, not them.

For shame Nintendo, for shame.

EDIT:
OMG FUCKING WAT
Wada
This is a great opportunity, so I have something I'd like to say. In Punch-Out!!, the game gives you a lot of hints about effective timing of punches. There is a big boxer called Bald Bull in the NES version as well and a light flashes to the right in the audience when he charges. If you punch when it flashes you will land a body blow.
Tanabe
What? Really?
Wada
No one has known about that for about 22 years…
Everyone
(laughter)
Wada
I was wondering when I would have a chance to tell people that.

All the people thought it was the jumping timing, and today we discover, after 22 years, that a flash of light in the audience tells you when to hit Bald Bull. OMG!

oracrest

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The funny thing is that this time they were more important the canadian directors of the game, and all their team than the japanese team.
Why the fuck there is not the director of Punch-Out!! and the director of Next level in the interview just amazes me (in the bad way).
I know they are talking about the whole saga, but it was NL who bring it to live again, not them.

For shame Nintendo, for shame.

EDIT:
OMG FUCKING WAT

All the people thought it was the jumping timing, and today we discover, after 22 years, that a flash of light in the audience tells you when to hit Bald Bull. OMG!

lol, that is cool, belongs in the games secret thread.

I always just went by the sound effects, after the second one when hes charging (in the old one)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
SpacePirate Ridley said:
there is not the director of Punch-Out!! and the director of Next level in the interview just amazes me (in the bad way).
I know they are talking about the whole saga, but it was NL who bring it to live again, not them.!
I thought Next Level worked with a NCL director, and that director did the Iwata Asks...

Although the more obvious answer would be that Next Level Games folks aren't hanging out at NCL.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just picked a copy up last night and was wondering if I have to disconnect the Wii Motion + every time I want to play Punch-Out.

Borrowed this from a friend...not really liking it too much.

Two boxers away from World Circuit completion...after only playing for about 2 hours. I was a big fan of the SNES Punchout and the original...this feels like they rushed it.

Stuneseht

permutated said:

Two boxers away from World Circuit completion...after only playing for about 2 hours. I was a big fan of the SNES Punchout and the original...this feels like they rushed it.
Title Defense mode will blow your mind.
I'd like to say that this mode was made especially for those who liked the previous games.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
one_kill said:
Just wondering, what's the longetivity like? I'm not sure if I should get it when it releases here in about two weeks =\

The longevity is great. 20+ hours, but that should not be your only criteria for purchasing the game. Get it without hesitation.

Gamefly'd this recently, and I've been really enjoying it. Don't know why I doubted it.

I should've bought it when it first came out. Maybe I'll just go buy it when I get my new job.

Jazzem

Still really want this :( Hopefully I can find it for £20 somewhere.

DenogginizerOS said:
I just picked a copy up last night and was wondering if I have to disconnect the Wii Motion + every time I want to play Punch-Out.

You don't necessarily have to, but if you're going to play it NES pad style, I'd advise you take Motion+ off as the 1/2 buttons will be a bit awkward to reach otherwise.

oracrest

one_kill said:
Just wondering, what's the longetivity like? I'm not sure if I should get it when it releases here in about two weeks =\

its plays just like the original, which is one of the few NES games I still play on a regular basis.

Pimping my own article but this is the right thread to post it to. I conducted an extensive post mortem interview with Next Level Games about Punch-Out!! It's three pages long so I won't paste the whole thing here but here's a snippet:

The speed and reaction time necessary to defeat most of the boxers is very fast. Is the Wiimote/Nunchuk motion-control combo a viable option? What if it’s coupled with the balance board? Is anyone in the office really good enough to use both methods and beat the upper tier opponents? Even playing with just the Wiimote, I was routinely late with punches and had my timing completely messed up.

Bryce Holliday, Gameplay Lead: Just like using the wheel in Mario Kart it offers a different way of playing. I love the satisfaction of standing up, mimicking Mac's movements and landing the knockout blow. The balance board, motion controls and classic controls schemes are all viable, but they require the user to think differently in each situation. Our legs are not as dexterous as our thumbs therefore you need to look for the Boss' tell a little earlier. It's probably hard to retrain mid-fight or mid-career, but on your next time through the game you should try a different control option.​

Check the entire interview here.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
permutated said:

You're in training mode. If title defense mode doesn't change your mind, nostalgia has tainted your memories of the previous two Punchout games.

oracrest

http://www.gamespot.com/greatest-video-game-hero/vote/index.html?battle_id=35

votenow.jpg

v.gif

I'm almost done with the World Circuit, and I just can't seem to muster up the will to keep playing. I don't know if it's because I'm tired of having to memorize and anticipate new set of attacks every time I challenge a new fighter or what, but unless things, I'm just going to retire after winning this belt.

Made it to title defense last night, and am currently on Disco Kid.

The guys are definitely tougher this time around, and I've learned to use the practice/exhibition feature before entering each fight (I didn't take advantage of this before and, as a result, my record is all sorts of fucked up right now).

I hope to be finished with this circuit tonight, and the entire game before the end of this weekend.

samratty

I'm sooo bad at this game. Got upto Mr. Sandman on standard mode, not even unlocked Title Defence. Haven't played it in a while but plan to get back at Sandman and smash him up.

Damn great game, even if I am bad at it.

Bald Bull (contender) is a cheap son of a bitch.

I got the punch to the gut thing down, but besides that and waiting for his taunt, is there any way to get stars from this asshole?

zalemale

Bald Bull (contender) is a cheap son of a bitch.

I got the punch to the gut thing down, but besides that and waiting for his taunt, is there any way to get stars from this asshole?

Yeah, you can delay your follow up punches after he does his punch where he rolls his fists around before throwing it...I think it's his 3rd / 4th punch patterns he throws. Throw your second punch ever so delayed to score a star punch. I just beat this guy on contender today (actually tko'd him in the first round) but it probably took a good couple of hours to get him down. There are a few good you tube videos. Good luck!

oracrest

I cracked and bought someone's download code for the Doc training. Pretty fun. Just a tutorial, but it is cool that they made a little dedicated fight for nintendo club members only.

1081007-punch_out_doc_super.png

zalemale said:
Yeah, you can delay your follow up punches after he does his punch where he rolls his fists around before throwing it...I think it's his 3rd / 4th punch patterns he throws. Throw your second punch ever so delayed to score a star punch. I just beat this guy on contender today (actually tko'd him in the first round) but it probably took a good couple of hours to get him down. There are a few good you tube videos. Good luck!

Just beat the game last night. After spending hours to beat bald bull, it was pretty refreshing to once again go against boxers that could be knocked out normally.

Epic fight with Sandman (took me hours to beat him, too), and an even more epic end to the inspiring story and legacy of Little Mac. The final movie was touching and wistful.

Awesome game.

I finally got around to this game. Beat contender and am now on Title Defense. Man, even Glass Joe was a pain in the ass! Unlocking all the audio in exhibition is not easy either! I did it for everyone up to and including aaron riley already though. This game is tough!

Really, really late to the party but I just picked this up since it's cheap (Nintendo Selects) and TRU had that 2 for $30 deal. First PO game and loving it so far, playing the Career mode. Figured the game should last me a good 15 hours or so depending on how long it takes me to learn the patterns and how much harder TD is compared to the first go-around.

Then I discovered Challenge mode. :D :D :D Some of these are going to be a pain to get but it looks like there's a lot more secret stuff hidden in these fights than I previously imagined. One punch knockdowns? Upwards of 6 openings for earning a star in a single fight? Crazy stuff.

Currently stuck on Soda fracking Popinski. I'm guessing the trick is to memorize when he hooks and when he uppercuts? Because I can't react to his moves quickly enough.

Can't even imagine how much tougher this guy will be during Title Defense. -_-;

He always throws punches in groups of two, at least, and I think he always alternates between uppercuts and hooks (so for example, he might do something like two hooks -> two uppercuts -> two hooks from the other side).

That's probably not exactly right, but I remember his pattern being something like that.

He always throws punches in groups of two, at least, and I think he always alternates between uppercuts and hooks (so for example, he might do something like two hooks -> two uppercuts -> two hooks from the other side).

That's probably not exactly right, but I remember his pattern being something like that.
Got it, thanks! Just seems crazy that you pretty much have to anticipate what he's going to do instead of reacting to some kind of tell. Or maybe there is one but the window is smaller than my TV's latency?

Just got past Bald Bull after figuring out how to counter that rush attack. After reading the Iwata Asks on this game, I kept trying to look at the flashes in the crowd lol. Is there any significance to Bald Bull's stagger after body punching him when he's dizzy?

Sandman...was a pain in the ass to fight. Took me well over 10 tries to down him and his tricky triple uppercut. I think I stumbled upon an infinite combo during one of my attempts. Is it just a matter of rhythm/timing to keep your chain of punches going on him?

On to TD Glass Joe who I've heard so much about!

I was thinking of getting this game for WiiU, can I control with the wiiu gamepad, or do i have to get a wiimote?
For a real answer, you can't control any Wii [mode] games with the Gamepad. You can use it as a screen, but that's it. When you're playing Wii games on Wii U, the system effectively becomes a Wii, so think of it essentially predating the Wii U while in that mode.

Top Bottom