• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Masked Man said:
Okay, so I have absolutely no audio mixing skillz whatsoever, but I strung together all of the Don Flamenco themes (and did a little editing to make it flow as smoothly as possible). If this seems like an acceptable format, then I'll just do the same thing with the rest of the Punch-Out character themes.

Don Flamenco
(Loss... -> Fight Theme -> Get Up! -> Pause Theme -> Knockdown! -> Victory! -> Match Complete)

Let me know what you think!

Thumbs up. Some of the transitions are a bit abrupt, but it's really tough to do seamlessly with so many pieces. Great job!

Can you do Glass Joe and Soda Popinski next? They're my other two favorites. :D

Wizpig

You know, i just wanted to post this for all the people that don't like the new Little Mac... would you like this one more?:lol

ea-sports-fight-night-round-2-20050208050651080.jpg

Masked Man

I said wow
BorkBork said:
Thumbs up. Some of the transitions are a bit abrupt, but it's really tough to do seamlessly with so many pieces. Great job!

Can you do Glass Joe and Soda Popinski next? They're my other two favorites. :D

Glad you approve--thanks! :D I did one edit to keep the flow from the Fight Theme to Get Up!, but that was just looping the end of one of the tracks. Any more editing would have required much more intense slicing and moving things around, and I am not experienced enough to do that, lol.

I edited Don's medley a bit to smooth things out, if only slightly.

Soda Popinski
Glass Joe
Don Flamenco

EDIT: OH MY GOD I am SO glad that they didn't use that Mac. I remember when I first saw him... I was appalled at how ugly he was.

Haunted

Wizpig said:
You know, i just wanted to post this for all the people that don't like the new Little Mac... would you like this one more?:lol
The SNES Little Mac was great. An updated version by Next Level Games would certainly be awesome.

But since they took the majority of boxers from the NES game, it made sense to use the protagonist from the NES game as well.

Thank God they changed the ref, though.

Haunted said:
The SNES Little Mac was great. An updated version by Next Level Games would certainly be awesome.

But since they took the majority of boxers from the NES game, it made sense to use the protagonist from the NES game as well.

Thank God they changed the ref, though.
A) He wasn't Little Mac. I don't care what anyone else says.

B) No. He looked like Aran Ryan's
30axs0g.jpg
little brother. I can't believe they had a much better looking fighter and switched it for Sir Hurf-A-Durf in the final version.

BorkBork

Wizpig said:

ea-sports-fight-night-round-2-20050208050651080.jpg

What is that. What the hell is that.

BorkBork

Masked Man said:
Glad you approve--thanks! :D I did one edit to keep the flow from the Fight Theme to Get Up!, but that was just looping the end of one of the tracks. Any more editing would have required much more intense slicing and moving things around, and I am not experienced enough to do that, lol.

I edited Don's medley a bit to smooth things out, if only slightly.

Soda Popinski
Glass Joe
Don Flamenco

Wow. Thanks for going through the effort. Don's is better, but I think for me it's more of an issue with the music rather than the edit. It's just a bit too drawn out.

Soda's theme is absolutely perfect. Spot on stuff.

Glass Joe's theme always puts a smile on my face. :D

Masked Man

I said wow
BorkBork said:
Wow. Thanks for going through the effort. Don's is better, but I think for me it's more of an issue with the music rather than the edit. It's just a bit too drawn out.

Soda's theme is absolutely perfect. Spot on stuff.

Glass Joe's theme always puts a smile on my face. :D

Yeah, I think the arrangement is a little more soloistic and intricate, so the fight theme alone is pushing two minutes. =/ But I'm glad that you like it! I'll put together some others and report back.

EDIT: Three more.

Von Kaiser
Disco Kid
King Hippo

Masked Man

I said wow
I know bumping is frowned upon, but this thread got a little lost in the E3 madness. To be fair, I've been busy finishing up Layton 1 for the first time (I know, LttP and all...), so my TD experience has been temporarily put on hold. I'm about to face off with Aran Ryan, though, and I'm anxious to see his TD incarnation. :D

In terms of audio, I'm hoping that someone around here can do a favor or two.

1) I don't know who has the capability to do so, but could someone get me good recordings of the Aran Ryan and Bald Bull "Lose Fight" themes? (By that, I mean the brief tune that plays when you lose to an opponent in TD--the song that plays when Mac hangs his head in shame in the NES version.) Those are the only two tracks I'm missing, and I'll be able to complete the little medleys and thus post the complete soundtrack for everyone to enjoy in a more cohesive format. :D

2) I also don't have Photoshop or really any graphic-making skillz whatsoever, so I was hoping someone might be able to come up with some basic album art for the complete soundtrack. Here's the picture I thought we could use:

2h35yys.jpg

All that would really be required would be to slap the Punch-Out!! logo on there and maybe a little text. There was a really great fanmade album art for the Brawl soundtrack that was posted here a while back, but I only have it attached to the songs on iTunes--that is, I don't have the image saved on my computer and I can't find it online. But, for those who remember, I was thinking it could be something like that. ;)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can fulfill either of these requests! If we can get them both done, then I will be able to upload and share a complete Punch-Out!! Wii soundtrack. :D

MiniDitka

Masked Man said:
In terms of audio, I'm hoping that someone around here can do a favor or two.

1) I don't know who has the capability to do so, but could someone get me good recordings of the Aran Ryan and Bald Bull "Lose Fight" themes? (By that, I mean the brief tune that plays when you lose to an opponent in TD--the song that plays when Mac hangs his head in shame in the NES version.) Those are the only two tracks I'm missing, and I'll be able to complete the little medleys and thus post the complete soundtrack for everyone to enjoy in a more cohesive format. :D

Thanks in advance to anyone who can fulfill either of these requests! If we can get them both done, then I will be able to upload and share a complete Punch-Out!! Wii soundtrack. :D
Would those be the same in TD exhibition? if so I could give it a shot.

Masked Man

I said wow
I think I'll have to find someone who can rip the music directly from the ISO or something just so that the quality and clarity are both high and consistent with the files that I have already downloaded. (Apparently, whoever did the original ISO rip missed the two files in question, or they got lost in the process of sharing.) But I appreciate the effort--thanks! :D

Also, I loved your remix. :lol

jibblypop

Banned
I beat Super Macho Man last night but I haven't beat sandman yet. I keep reading this thread and seeing people talking about title defense mode so I know I have a long and awesome road ahead of me! :D

Plaguefox

Masked Man said:
I was hoping someone might be able to come up with some basic album art for the complete soundtrack. All that would really be required would be to slap the Punch-Out!! logo on there and maybe a little text.
Working on this. Sleep first, but should have it done this weekend. 'Course, anyone else's welcome to do one too. :)

Masked Man

I said wow
Brilliant. :D :D :D I wish I could give you a cookie or something, but I like that a lot. Thanks so much! Now if we could just get those two missing tracks... Then we would be in business!

I'm convinced that punch-out doesn't truly start until title defense. I breezed through the first half thinking "wow" this game is so easy. Then I get utterly demoralized by Glass Joe and his ridiculously annoying off beat punches for a good hour or so.

Valtor

Banned
Wii Will Rock U said:
http://twitter.com/Rdiluigi

My latest status says it all. :D

You clearly have not been doing the challenges for this game... The people who finishes all the challenges, they are Gods.

Btw, nice way to whore out your twitter :p and the fact that you didn't post your twitter post will make this post irrelevant soon :p

Valtor said:
You clearly have not been doing the challenges for this game... The people who finishes all the challenges, they are Gods.

Btw, nice way to whore out your twitter :p and the fact that you didn't post your twitter post will make this post irrelevant soon :p
The post:

JUST KILLED TITLE DEFENSE SANDMAN! My greatest video game accomplishment of all time? I'd have to say yes. :D
about 1 hour ago from web

BTW, I love your avatar Valtor, :lol

Razer Reds

Neo Member
Finished up all the stars in exhibition (
even the champion medals
). This game's awesome! Did anyone else have a hard time fighting contender Mr. Sandman after getting his TD stars? For me he became harder than
Donkey Kong

Just beat Sandman on TD. Played through the
Last Stand and unlocked DK.

This game was ridiculously fun. I'll probably revisit it just like the original from time to time. Next Level did a great job... I'm looking forward to their next Nintendo collaboration.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You can tell this game was done well when I load up the original Punch-Out!! and find it... lacking.

That's never happened before.

Now the original Punch-Out!! boxers look far too blocky and undetailed, and they just don't seem as much fun anymore.

Weird.

BorkBork

Someone in this thread said it right:

Punchout Wii is what you remembered Punchout NES to be. That's why it's so awesome.

I hit a wall at TD Soda Popinski.

Too damn fast for me to react without memorizing everything and the combo-chain thing you do on him makes timing difficult to memorize.

The Hermit

TD Soda is annoying as hell.... I either TKO on the first round or lose against him.

The only hint I can give you is the following: remember that star punches and knocking bottles will piss him off, use it for your advantage

Also TD Sandman "hint" made me say holy shit!! :D

I know how to get a knockdown with one punch with him
:D :D

DEO3

I just moved into a newly built house and haven't had internet/cable for the past two weeks, so I bought Punch-Out to help pass the time and I ended up playing it non-stop.

So I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED I SAY, to see this thread on page 15. It deserves so much better.

Anyway I've now completed everything except for five of Mr. Sandman's challenges (two in Contender and three in Title Defense), ffffffuck some of his punches are hard to counter.

Haunted

Plaguefox said:
24x0vvt.jpg

Had a little too much fun with it. :)
Awesome.

Wii Will Rock U said:
We're on page 43. What thread are you reading? :lol
On page 15 in Gaming Discussion. Not at page 15 in this thread. We're at 22, btw. You're not one of those 50ppp wankers, are you?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Haunted said:
On page 15 in Gaming Discussion. Not at page 15 in this thread. We're at 22, btw. You're not one of those 50ppp wankers, are you?
OT time: I never understood the mindset that having 100 posts per page is better. It takes longer to load (since it loads by posts) and it will also load more avatars and pics at the same time, so there's the auto scroll for more seconds which is a problem in case you want to start reading the page ASAP. Also so many people reading will be using the default settings anyway (plus the guests), I like to know if my post is at the end of a "normal" page or not for others without having to look at the post count. :p Enlighten me, I want to know why it's cool.

BorkBork

Haunted said:

Ouch.

Yeah this thread did abruptly die off. E3 and the lack of search during that time killed it.

BorkBork

Hey I did my part over the last few pages of this thread. Any more and I'd be talking to myself.

MWCShay

Finally got the game and man is is pure AWESOME on a disc! Took me awhile to get to TD mode and proceeded to get pummeled by Glass Joe. I had no idea I could even lose to him. The star mode of all the characters adds a ton of replay value to the game too. I'm not even close to getting all of those.

Some I have no idea how to even achieve. Right now this is my favorite game and never leaves the Wii. I might change it out when I pick up The Conduit though.

I was walking around a store today looking for Tiger Woods (didn't find it) and noticed that there is a bundle of Punch Out and the Nunchuck. It seemed like an official bundle too and was placed next to Mario Kart + wheel. Is this new or was there always a bundle?

Top Bottom