• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nicktals said:
"My Mother never fed me. I eat because I'm sad, and I fight because I'm mad!"

"I love tropical food, especially Hawaiians."

"Do I smell chocolate?"

"I'll punch YOUR man hole!"
:lol :lol :lol

2 Minutes Turkish said:
$10 to whoever translates King Hippo's quotes.

I'll PayPal it to you.

Introduction to the ring:
(sees Little Mac)
-Is this a joke? Bwahahaha!

One of the inbetween rounds:
-Mmmm... Im HUNGRY! Feed me!

EDIT: Shit, Beaten!

2296_v.gif

Where have you find the artwork with different costumes?

rhino4evr

So after several beat downs, I finally beat TD Great Tiger..easily the hardest for so far. I had to win by decision..

Then came TD Don Flamenco..and let just say he was SUPER easy compared..but my tactic was extremely cheap. If anyone wants to beat Flamenco with no trouble at all read teh spoilers

basically, don't give in to his taunt, eventually he will swing, for you to dodge and get a few punches in..the trick is when he starts taunting again, don't do anything..he will use the same exact punch. over and over and over.

Every once in a while he will do his super move, which is very easy to block. Just watch his hands. If he moves his hands Left, Right , Left..that exactly how you dodge...dodging these correctly will get you a star..save these until you have three and then left him have it. You should eventually win by decision, if you don't KO him before that.

So easy I didn't even get hit ONCE.

going to wait until tomorrow to take on The angry Irishmen.

koam

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Out of curiosity guys.

How the FUCK do you knock the third set of tape off of King Hippo in TD?

It's the only thing I can't do.

Wait, you weren't at TD bald bull? oh boy....

Third set is, suck when he down that double arm punch... then wait just a bit and he'll open his mouth. Punch it, then left jab it off.

Nicktals

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Out of curiosity guys.

How the FUCK do you knock the third set of tape off of King Hippo in TD?

It's the only thing I can't do.

When he does his two-handed over head swing (the first thing he does after you knock the 2nd tape off), duck, then dodge, then he will give a little chuckle. You need to punch him immediately when he does this. With a little practice you'll be able to get it everytime. It will also come in VERY handy to help finish the fight off.

My King Hippo TD question...How do you get stars on him?

Nicktals said:
My King Hippo TD question...How do you get stars on him?

When he does his single overhead punch WITHOUT opening his mouth, he leaves his body open for a counter. Quickly punch it for a star. It might also work on his other punch he does without opening his mouth, but I was never able to get it then.

koam said:
Wait, you weren't at TD bald bull? oh boy....
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Nah. I was only at the first Bald Bull. I was posting from my Mac after the first 2 losses. I beat him 2 fights after that.

After being trounced the first two fights, I thought it would take forver to beat him. As it turns out, it didn't. :lol

MercuryLS

Banned
This is gaming nirvana. I haven't laughed, cried, cheered this much playing a game before (that's a lie, the original Punch-Out!! had the same effect on me). This is GOTY for people that still play games for the fun. More games like this need to be made.

BTW, who else is using motion controls? I know some reviews said that it's too imprecise but I've been using it without a problem yet. It takes some getting used to but I like it better than the standard controls.

Fuu

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Where have you find the artwork with different costumes?
Site I got them from seems to be down at the moment (gamekult.com) but here you go:

<- (5000 x 7000)

This game just SCREAMS low-budget. The music sounds amateurish at best other than the brass section they got on a couple songs, the fighter intros are just a couple static shots instead of them walking out to the middle from the corner and fighting like it's SUPPOSED to be and even when they walk in from their corner it has to do some weird screen transition before you fight... I guess after all the coke and hookers they don't have much money to invest in game development of a fucking PUNCH-OUT game.

It's this kind of cheaping out on game development that makes many PS2 and GCN games look better than most Wii games by comparison. And still these publishers complain about skyrocketing development costs.

polyh3dron said:
This game just SCREAMS low-budget. The music sounds amateurish at best other than the brass section they got on a couple songs, the fighter intros are just a couple static shots instead of them walking out to the middle from the corner and fighting like it's SUPPOSED to be and even when they walk in from their corner it has to do some weird screen transition before you fight... I guess after all the coke and hookers they don't have much money to invest in game development of a fucking PUNCH-OUT game.

It's this kind of cheaping out on game development that makes many PS2 and GCN games look better than most Wii games by comparison. And still these publishers complain about skyrocketing development costs.

Uh. No. Sorry, you're wrong.

Fuu

I won't stop playing this game any time soon but I'm curious to try the older ones. Should I bother with both the NES Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
polyh3dron said:

There's one in every crowd. Honestly, I thought it would have occurred far sooner than this. Speaks to how fun the game really is.

What's everyone's favorite fighter theme? Glass Joe's is amazing, but I haven't unlocked too many yet.

polyh3dron said:

Yeah, why couldn't they go all out and not make a separate ring entrance animation for every round for every fighter? And couldn't they spare the money to not make a different version of the Punch-Out music tailored to every fighter, twice? What a bunch of cheapasses.

Nicktals

Banned
BorkBork said:

There's one in every crowd. Honestly, I thought it would have occurred far sooner than this. Speaks to how fun the game really is.

What's everyone's favorite fighter theme? Glass Joe's is amazing, but I haven't unlocked too many yet.

Soda Popinkski's, for sure.

MercuryLS

Banned
polyh3dron said:

The presentation is fantastic, I don't know wtf you're talking about. It's not like overly long cutscenes and character intros would add anything to a game like this. The game has all the charm of the original Punch-Out!! and then some. I don't get the complaints.

polyh3dron said:

Interesting point of view.

Personally, the game reeked of old-school charm. I figured everything was done the way ti was on purpose.

But then again, I could just be blinded by my love for Punch Out. They even used sounds from the NES version in this one, so I figured it was all done on purpose.

polyh3dron said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but honestly I couldn't disagree more.

This game has so much charm and the characters are so fantastic that I don't even think of the game in technical terms. A true classic, in my opinion.

Fuu

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Interesting point of view.

Personally, the game reeked of old-school charm. I figured everything was done the way ti was on purpose.

But then again, I could just be blinded by my love for Punch Out. They even used sounds from the NES version in this one, so I figured it was all done on purpose.
I've never played a Punch-Out game before this one and not for a single moment I had a problem with the so called "production values" in the Wii version. Game is just so good.

BorkBork said:
Glass Joe's is pretty amazing indeed. I also like the "jungle" feel in King Hippo's and, while not being a fighter theme, the Major Circuit track.

I wish there was a way to crank up the music volume for the fights.

Tim-E

I made it through Soda Popinski, Bald Bull, and Super Macho Man in one sitting, but my hands were such a mess of sweat by the time I got to Sandman I had to take a break. :lol

rhino4evr

polyh3dron said:

low budget? I guess you haven't played many Wii games. If you get past King Hippo, I think you'll realize that most of the budget went into getting the gameplay absolutely perfect. The game could be in 8-bit when it plays this good. Your over produced crap like Prince of Persia, and Assassins Creed are on a different system..go play those and leave thy thread in peace.

Fuu said:
I've never played a Punch-Out game before this one and not for a single moment I had a problem with the so called "production values" in the Wii version. Game is just so good.

Play both. The SNES version will jar you though.

The Wii version LOOKS like the SNES versino but PLAYS like the NES version.

So to begin with I was playing the Wii one like the SNES one and almost lost to Glass Joe :lol Took a minute to remember the NES version as I haven't played it in 15 years.

I've been playing the SNES one regularly over the last few months.

Nicktals

Banned
What's the 2nd movie? (Talking on the first page of movies). Something for multiplayer?

I have all the rest (well, i have the retirement vid on my other profile, not my main).

Nicktals said:
What's the 2nd movie? (Talking on the first page of movies). Something for multiplayer?

I have all the rest (well, i have the retirement vid on my other profile, not my main).
It's the video you get from doing a Practice. But if you've beaten Career and Title Defense then you've permanently missed it.

Fuu

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Play both. The SNES version will jar you though.

The Wii version LOOKS like the SNES versino but PLAYS like the NES version.

So to begin with I was playing the Wii one like the SNES one and almost lost to Glass Joe :lol Took a minute to remember the NES version as I haven't played it in 15 years.

I've been playing the SNES one regularly over the last few months.
Thanks, I think I'll start with the SNES version since it plays differently from this one (and then get the NES one after I've clocked more hours into the Wii version, done the challenges, etc).

Nicktals

Banned
Gunloc said:
It's the video you get from doing a Practice. But if you've beaten Career and Title Defense then you've permanently missed it.

Man...Did I really never do a practice on this profile? Well I guess that makes this profile even more hardcore, in a way! (think I'm gonna go watch it on my other profile now though...)

Fuu

Nabs said:
watch this and play the NES version
Haha, I've watched that when it was posted earlier in the thread, it's pretty awesome. Since then I only do a left+right when it's needed to bring the opponent into the combo or to land those extra final hits (or the infinite loop on Don Flamenco but I haven't tried that yet :lol).

Fuck that video was great.

The challenges actually make you realise how wrong you're taking on all the fights. :lol

Punch Out!! is a shitload deeper than it appears on the surface. I'm only realising this 20 years later.

-PXG-

polyh3dron said:

This is one of the most complete and well developed games on the Wii. Seriously. What the fuck are you talking about? Games don't need 1080p graphics, 7.1 sound and 15 million hours of cut scenes to be good. Get the fuck outta here with this bullshit.

-PXG- said:
This is one of the most complete and well developed games on the Wii.
Every other first party Wii game says hi. Yes, all of them.
-PXG- said:
Seriously. What the fuck are you talking about? Games don't need 1080p graphics, 7.1 sound and 15 million hours of cut scenes to be good. Get the fuck outta here with this bullshit.
I'm not expecting 7.1 sound or 1080p graphics (umm this is the Wii, hello) and I definitely don't want millions of cut scenes in a Punch-Out game for that matter. I'm just asking for well done music (the music is really really cheap sounding I'm sorry), no weird screen transitions like the one from when the challenger walks from his corner to when you fight like you're going between exploring and fighting in a Final Fantasy game, and no cheap ass slide show during the fighter's theme. Maybe have them do some gestures on the screen during the theme, come out from their corner and start fighting, all in one seamless environment. That's not exactly asking for the moon. It's not like this game wouldn't have sold enough copies to justify it. Also, why give us a mere fraction of a fucking second of Mac in the pink jumpsuit, seriously.

The core gameplay is great don't get me wrong. It just would have been nice if they had gone the extra mile.

Narag

polyh3dron said:

I'm not expecting 7.1 sound or 1080p graphics (umm this is the Wii, hello) and I definitely don't want millions of cut scenes in a Punch-Out game for that matter. I'm just asking for well done music (the music is really really cheap sounding I'm sorry), no weird screen transitions like the one from when the challenger walks from his corner to when you fight like you're going between exploring and fighting in a Final Fantasy game, and no cheap ass slide show during the fighter's theme. Maybe have them do some gestures on the screen during the theme, come out from their corner and start fighting, all in one seamless environment. That's not exactly asking for the moon. It's not like this game wouldn't have sold enough copies to justify it.

I actually enjoyed the small cutscenes. Well done and they helped establish character in a game where I shouldn't even care about such a thing. Mr. Sandman's first slideshow coupled with his ring entrance was such a treat.

polyh3dron said:

I'm not expecting 7.1 sound or 1080p graphics (umm this is the Wii, hello) and I definitely don't want millions of cut scenes in a Punch-Out game for that matter. I'm just asking for well done music (the music is really really cheap sounding I'm sorry), no weird screen transitions like the one from when the challenger walks from his corner to when you fight like you're going between exploring and fighting in a Final Fantasy game, and no cheap ass slide show during the fighter's theme. Maybe have them do some gestures on the screen during the theme, come out from their corner and start fighting, all in one seamless environment. That's not exactly asking for the moon. It's not like this game wouldn't have sold enough copies to justify it. Also, why give us a mere fraction of a fucking second of Mac in the pink jumpsuit, seriously.

The core gameplay is great don't get me wrong. It just would have been nice if they had gone the extra mile.
No.

polyh3dron said:

You sound too fussy.

I thought the whole thing reeked of well done.

Love it.

I have ONE complaint. If I have set NES style play for this game, don't make me use the FUCKING pointer for menu navigation.

Just stupid.

But aside from that. This is pure gaming at it's finest for me.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
polyh3dron said:
I'm not expecting 7.1 sound or 1080p graphics (umm this is the Wii, hello) and I definitely don't want millions of cut scenes in a Punch-Out game for that matter. I'm just asking for well done music (the music is really really cheap sounding I'm sorry)

The music IS well done. It's the completely awesomey catchy NES tunes done right. Have you unlocked any of the fighter's themes?

no weird screen transitions like the one from when the challenger walks from his corner to when you fight like you're going between exploring and fighting in a Final Fantasy game

I don't even know what this means.
and no cheap ass slide show during the fighter's theme.

You want FMV's instead. Gotcha. Most people love the pictures. The art is fantastic and plenty of people (including me) are using it as wallpaper.

Maybe have them do some gestures on the screen during the theme, come out from their corner and start fighting, all in one seamless environment. That's not exactly asking for the moon. It's not like this game wouldn't have sold enough copies to justify it.

So to summarize, those "issues" are all minor and personal nitpicks that have nothing to do with the game's production values, just your personal expectations. Try again.

BorkBork said:
The music IS well done. It's the completely awesomey catchy NES tunes done right. Have you unlocked any of the fighter's themes?
The main fight theme when you play is the completely awesomey catchy NES tune done wrong, and the victory song is sapped of all the energy it had in the NES version.
BorkBork said:
You want FMV's instead. Gotcha. Most people love the pictures. The art is fantastic and plenty of people (including me) are using it as wallpaper.
No I don't, I want something in-engine, like in the NES game. Like I said in my last couple of posts.

polyh3dron said:
The main fight theme when you play is the completely awesomey catchy NES tune done wrong, and the victory song is sapped of all the energy it had in the NES version.
Which one? There are like 3 different versions, not even counting the fighter's unique versions.

pakkit

Banned
polyh3dron said:

No I don't, I want something in-engine, like in the NES game. Like I said in my last couple of posts.
Never before has a man been so wrong so many times.

TD is getting pretty damned hard now, I've won my past three matches all by decision, and am currently trying to re-figure out how the hell to take down Aran Ryan. What a tremendous bag of douche he is. :lol

He's right, listen to all that MIDI compression and lack of effort on Nintendo's part.

:rolleyes:

kinggroin

Banned
polyh3dron said:

...uh... the game is a tribute the original's style and gameplay, so of course it sounds old school (difference between that and cheap). The round transitions are also a throwback to the old split screen portraits where you had little mac on one end (with the trainer spouting some wisdom) and your opponent on the other (with their own witty remark).

It even does the sliding transition animation.

Everything about this game in it's presentation is there to appeal to fans of the original, and hardcore old school gamers in general.

I mean, you HAVE played the original right?

The production values are still there, and if you'd stop bitching :D you'd notice just how absolutely incredible the animation in this game is. From the facial animations during the fight (reactive to the situation and some that aren't; all look awesome) to the attacks and movement. It sure as hell does not scream low budget (unless we're comparing this to something like say, Assassin's Creed). Also, little details like pre-fight taunt animations, or facial damage, or how if you punch a boxer enough times on their bodies it leaves glove marks. Hell, even animation transitions are smooth as hell (especially evident when star punching an opponent in the middle of their swings).

I think EmCeeGramr said it best:

Top Bottom