• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Linkzg said:
I was walking around a store today looking for Tiger Woods (didn't find it) and noticed that there is a bundle of Punch Out and the Nunchuck. It seemed like an official bundle too and was placed next to Mario Kart + wheel. Is this new or was there always a bundle?

Since release; it's the one I got.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Wii Will Rock U said:
I finally
retired in Mac's Last Stand. That was by far one of the most satisfying endings to any game I have ever played. "Good job, Kid."

Is it even possible not to retire? More importantly, is there no way to start over Last Stand mode if you've already retired? I didn't know about that retiring thing :(.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Holy shit, I can't believe my own dumb luck... :lol :lol

So I'm fighting Title Defence Aran Ryan, and
I get a star on his right hook during the first round at some point. I knock him down but forgot he had that cheating move with the boxing glove on a rope which he swings just before falling. At this point (like I normally do after landing the takedown blow) I'm rapidly pressing 1+2 to restore energy - then I realise he's still doing his last throw of the glove-on-a-string. Fumbling with the controls I accidentally let off my Star Punch...

..and it fucking HITS him and I get an instant KO on the first fucking takedown in the first round. Ahahah! I can't even replicate that now if I tried. I just spent the next minute or so laughing at my unbelievable fortune. :lol

SovanJedi said:
Holy shit, I can't believe my own dumb luck... :lol :lol

So I'm fighting Title Defence Aran Ryan, and
I get a star on his right hook during the first round at some point. I knock him down but forgot he had that cheating move with the boxing glove on a rope which he swings just before falling. At this point (like I normally do after landing the takedown blow) I'm rapidly pressing 1+2 to restore energy - then I realise he's still doing his last throw of the glove-on-a-string. Fumbling with the controls I accidentally let off my Star Punch...

..and it fucking HITS him and I get an instant KO on the first fucking takedown in the first round. Ahahah! I can't even replicate that now if I tried. I just spent the next minute or so laughing at my unbelievable fortune. :lol

Wow. :lol

Wait until you get to TD Sandman. Talk about dumb luck...:lol

Singho

Am I right in thinking that every punch in this game can be countered? If it can't be countered with standard shots, it can be via a star punch?

Also, not all punches that get countered award you with a star, only certain punches you gain a star from right?

I've gotten into this habit of trying to just counter everything. So far the only thing I can't counter is the crazy, knock your head clean off uppercuts from opponents such as Sandman, Soda and Macho.

Think I'm making life hard on myself.

Also, you can't get one KO knockdowns on this like Super Punchout the the Snes?

Valtor

Banned
Wii Will Rock U said:
I finally
retired in Mac's Last Stand. That was by far one of the most satisfying endings to any game I have ever played. "Good job, Kid."

Do I need to get a certain number of kills to get a "good ending" or do I just die? I kinda stopped playing because I had only one life left... Should I die or not?

Wii Will Rock U said:
BTW, I love your avatar Valtor, :lol
Thanks for the avatar compliment, even though I'm kinda jealous of all the scribblenauts avatars going around....

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Singho said:
Am I right in thinking that every punch in this game can be countered? If it can't be countered with standard shots, it can be via a star punch?

Also, not all punches that get countered award you with a star, only certain punches you gain a star from right?

I've gotten into this habit of trying to just counter everything. So far the only thing I can't counter is the crazy, knock your head clean off uppercuts from opponents such as Sandman, Soda and Macho.

Think I'm making life hard on myself.

Not every punch can be countered, and not every counter gives you a star. And yes there are one KO knockdowns on at least some characters.

diddy

Neo Member
Valtor said:
Do I need to get a certain number of kills to get a "good ending" or do I just die? I kinda stopped playing because I had only one life left... Should I die or not?

If you win 10 matches in Mac's Last Stand, you will unlock Champions Mode, which makes every punch from your opponent a one-hit knockdown.

diddy

Neo Member
Singho said:

Yup you can. Some boxers have them and some don't. Glass Joe will get KO'd if you land a 3-star punch on his first step back punch in a match.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
BorkBork said:
Not every punch can be countered, and not every counter gives you a star. And yes there are one KO knockdowns on at least some characters.

Are we sure of this? It seems like all -first circuit- punches might be able to be countered... not that I have, mind you, but, well, the game design "feels" like that.

That or I'm just locked into the notion that red flash = counter.

diddy

Neo Member
DavidDayton said:
Are we sure of this? It seems like all -first circuit- punches might be able to be countered... not that I have, mind you, but, well, the game design "feels" like that.

That or I'm just locked into the notion that red flash = counter.

Yeah, some punches the character steps back and all your punches whiff, or sometimes you'll get blocked. So those are not effective counters. You just have to experiment and find the stars, there hidden and not always found by countering.

diddy

Neo Member
What happened to all the Punch-Out!! love? People are disappointed with the game? Not enough to talk about? I thought people really wanted this game...

Haunted

diddy said:
What happened to all the Punch-Out!! love? People are disappointed with the game? Not enough to talk about? I thought people really wanted this game...
The game came out two months ago, and I've completed it about two weeks after release.

It's a fantastic game, definitely in the Top 3 of the best Wii games this year, imo. Next Level Games absolutely delivered.

diddy

Neo Member
Haunted said:
The game came out two months ago, and I've completed it about two weeks after release.

It's a fantastic game, definitely in the Top 3 of the best Wii games this year, imo. Next Level Games absolutely delivered.

So this thread is dead now? Oh well I thought more people would still talk about the game, there's lots or hidden stuff and in-jokes. Seems like the people who wanted Punch-Out!! don't have a Wii.

Jme

I just got this coupon in the mail:

erk3o1.jpg

It's for $10 off at Best Buy.

The only reason I can think of is that I pre-registered for the game on Club Nintendo, but have not yet registered it (picked it up day 1, just waiting for the club nintendo year roll over to enter my code).

Anyone else get one of these? And since my name/address is printed right on the coupon, that would be sent back to the manufacturer, Nintendo can easily track how effective this targeted marketing is.

Also, on a side note, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the artwork used on this coupon before. Sorry for the bad image quality (webcam)

BorkBork

This is one of those games that will kick my ass a year later on when I have completely forgotten the patterns. Infinite replay value!

diddy

Neo Member
handofg0d said:
Also, on a side note, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the artwork used on this coupon before. Sorry for the bad image quality (webcam)

That picture is on the back of the instruction booklet, but who reads it huh?

jett

D-Member
BorkBork said:
This is one of those games that will kick my ass a year later on when I have completely forgotten the patterns. Infinite replay value!

Eh I dunno about that. Punch-out is like riding a bicycle. You never forget. :p

dyls said:
I just tried balance board on a whim tonight, and promptly plowed my way through the minor and major circuits with only one loss to Don Flamenco. I restarted once on Soda Popinski but just beat him by TKO in the 2nd.

Once again, reviewers have shown themselves to be uncoordinated spazzes. I know exactly what they are doing wrong on the board, and it's the same thing people did wrong on the headers and skiing in Wii Fit. The secret is to simply lean, which is actually harder than it sounds. When you go to lean on one foot, the natural tendency is to push off the other foot. The board reads this as you leaning and before you can get the weight onto the correct foot, you're already dodging the other way.

I got very good at leaning left quickly, but once I got to Great Tiger I realized how slow and jerkily I leaned to the right, and how my weight shifted left first. I practiced switching side to side, even when it wasn't necessary, just to get the feeling right. Soda Popinski really tested my ability to lean, center quickly, lean, center quickly, etc. And the hardest part can be getting centered in time to start punching.

In short, the balance board can work quite well. I don't know how well I'll do on Sandman or TD, but I'm more than satisfied so far.

I bought the game yesterday and have been playing it exclusively with the balance board and motion controls and it's awesome. Note that this is the FIRST GAME EVER where I like the motion controls. It just feels right since all the basic actions--punching, dodging, ducking," involve doing the actual motions and the game is slow enough to have a rhythm (it requires precision rather than waggle flailing). As you point, out, I did have to realize not to push off my opposite foot before doding, but once I did, I had no problems.

I simply wouldn't want to go back to playing it with a controller. The rewarding feeling you get when you are litterally drenched in sweat after beating a character is fantastic. I used the resistance bands that came with EA sports active to give the punching a little more heft and it suddenly becomes far and away the best "excercise game" money can buy. It's both incredibly entertaining and will give you a work out (especially when combined with the resistance band and balance board). I have long been a critic of the Wii, but this is the first game that justifies the system's motion control concept to me. It is the first "killer app."

All of you only using classic controls are really missing out. It may not be quite as precise with balance board and motion controls, but the feeling you get from winning cannot be matched. It's like a violent version of DDR but with far more interesting gameplay.

Jme

diddy said:
That picture is on the back of the instruction booklet, but who reads it huh?

Haha I never even pulled it out of the case. It's still hanging out there with the product registration card and whatever advertisement for "related" Nintendo games came with it.

Nabs

handofg0d said:
I just got this coupon in the mail:

http://i27.tinypic.com/erk3o1.jpg

It's for $10 off at Best Buy.

The only reason I can think of is that I pre-registered for the game on Club Nintendo, but have not yet registered it (picked it up day 1, just waiting for the club nintendo year roll over to enter my code).

Anyone else get one of these? And since my name/address is printed right on the coupon, that would be sent back to the manufacturer, Nintendo can easily track how effective this targeted marketing is.

i got it too... but it's 5 off at amazon

diddy

Neo Member
farnham said:
damn punch out doc luis is pissing me off as a European gaffer

i want that too

looks like its nintendos way to do a demo

That's what you Europeans get for not buying Punch-Out!! :lol

oracrest

man, this game is so good. I am loving the classic control scheme most of all.

Just beat the 2nd Bald Bull, he's HARD!!!

until I figured out....
that you have to pay attention to the whistle sound, which stops just before he starts charging

oracrest

Finally got to
Donkey Kong]
and beat him. Although, he pummels you pretty good.

I also liked the total fan service of making
the second fight with Mr. Sandman be as close to the fight with Tyson from the NES original as they could. Similar haircut, the blinking of his eyes right before he punches, even getting his one middle tooth knocked out when he gets damaged. Awesome! And no Mr. Dream!

diddy

Neo Member
Nobody wants a sequel? In the article it mentions they want to do competitive and cooperative play, i don't know what that means. Create a boss? I guess you could upload your own customized boxer online. I don't know if these would work, or if it's much fun. Kinda changes the Punch-out gameplay.

diddy

Neo Member
Dragona Akehi said:
Fuck all you haters. This game rules.

Haters? Are there people hating on the game? Just seems to be no interest anymore for some reason.

You have any ideas for sequels? I guess Wii Motion Plus, but you would need two Wiimotes for it to work.

diddy said:
Haters? Are there people hating on the game? Just seems to be no interest anymore for some reason.

You have any ideas for sequels? I guess Wii Motion Plus, but you would need two Wiimotes for it to work.

It was a general sentiment. I had written it off months ago because of general opinion "oh lame no new fighters, etc." here on GAF. Then I got a chance to try it out.

FUCK ALL YOU HATERS.

Dragona Akehi said:
It was a general sentiment. I had written it off months ago because of general opinion "oh lame no new fighters, etc." here on GAF. Then I got a chance to try it out.

FUCK ALL YOU HATERS.

Still wouldn't have minded if they added some more new fighters. IIRC, Disco Kid was almost going to be Kid Quick.

But in all, most of the fighters were new characters; Aran Ryan was a completely difference character, as was Bear Hugger.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:

Hey, BEFORE the game was released, there was ample reason to doubt the lasting appeal of it.

After playing it, though... I'd still like more fighters, but I am fairly happy.

BorkBork

Dragona Akehi said:

FUCK ALL YOU HATERS.

There's a suprisingly small amount of hate in this thread, especially after people tried it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
so let me get this straight....

this game does NOT support classic controller?????

How the fuck could they forget to implement that??!?!!?!?!?!?

especially now with wii motion plus, we have to take the wiimote out of the sleeve to play.

Captain N

amtentori said:

especially now with wii motion plus, we have to take the wiimote out of the sleeve to play.

why would you need to take it out of the sleeve? it still works out just fine for me to play.

diddy

Neo Member
amtentori said:

Is it because you have fat thumbs/hands? Classic Controller would be good but the Wiimote sideways works fine.

oracrest

amtentori said:

a sideways wiimote is essentially an NES controller, which is more classic than the "classic" controller.

This version is a COMPLETE fan service to people that grew up with Punch-Out.

Top Bottom