• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
polyh3dron said:
No I don't, I want something in-engine, like in the NES game. Like I said in my last couple of posts.

There are already of plenty of in-game scenes (intro, between rounds, knockout) that showcase the animation and character of each fighter. The art was something different, and it was done very well. You basically get both.

-PXG-

polyh3dron said:
Every other first party Wii game says hi. Yes, all of them.

I'm not expecting 7.1 sound or 1080p graphics (umm this is the Wii, hello) and I definitely don't want millions of cut scenes in a Punch-Out game for that matter. I'm just asking for well done music (the music is really really cheap sounding I'm sorry), no weird screen transitions like the one from when the challenger walks from his corner to when you fight like you're going between exploring and fighting in a Final Fantasy game, and no cheap ass slide show during the fighter's theme. Maybe have them do some gestures on the screen during the theme, come out from their corner and start fighting, all in one seamless environment. That's not exactly asking for the moon. It's not like this game wouldn't have sold enough copies to justify it. Also, why give us a mere fraction of a fucking second of Mac in the pink jumpsuit, seriously.

The core gameplay is great don't get me wrong. It just would have been nice if they had gone the extra mile.

1) Every character has an entrance animation, as well as animations between rounds
2) Every character has a remix of the main theme (as well as three versions of the main theme for the different circuits)

What you're doing is mindless nitpicking for the sake of it. Who cares if the "stole my bike" scene is a few seconds too short? Give me a break. Is it really that big of a deal?

HoTHiTTeR

This game is so fun, but so frustrating. lol

Just as I was writing this post about not being able to get past TD Piston Hondo, I make it through w/ a Round 3 KO. :D

Nicktals

Banned
The one complaint I thought I would never see is a complaint that this game didn't stick close enough to the original.

But well, dude, this is somethingorother.

And you're fucking nuts about the music. I've been listening to Soda Popinski's theme on repeat for 3 days straight.

Vinci

Danish
polyh3dron said:
I'm not expecting 7.1 sound or 1080p graphics (umm this is the Wii, hello) and I definitely don't want millions of cut scenes in a Punch-Out game for that matter. I'm just asking for well done music (the music is really really cheap sounding I'm sorry), no weird screen transitions like the one from when the challenger walks from his corner to when you fight like you're going between exploring and fighting in a Final Fantasy game, and no cheap ass slide show during the fighter's theme. Maybe have them do some gestures on the screen during the theme, come out from their corner and start fighting, all in one seamless environment. That's not exactly asking for the moon. It's not like this game wouldn't have sold enough copies to justify it. Also, why give us a mere fraction of a fucking second of Mac in the pink jumpsuit, seriously.

The core gameplay is great don't get me wrong. It just would have been nice if they had gone the extra mile.

You are far too volatile over what are basically nitpicking details. Nothing about this game screams low budget; everything is clearly chosen to be the way it is.

Feep

Banned
Today, I was playing basketball with some friends. After I hit a fairly sweet fadeaway jumper over my defender's outstretched hand, I taunted him with "Que pasa? Quieres mas?" like a badass. One of my teammates, who I had no idea even played video games, shouted out, "Carmen!" to which I instantly replied, "Mi amor!"

All the other players were extremely confused. We made no further reference of this for the rest of the game.

Jme

ShockingAlberto said:
Just used Punch-Out as the first game I installed to my External HDD.

My God, the loading times are a third of what they were.

I wish I had the guts to install HBC + USB Loader, but I'm sure I'll be the exception to the rule and end up bricking my system.

Feep said:
Today, I was playing basketball with some friends. After I hit a fairly sweet fadeaway jumper over my defender's outstretched hand, I taunted him with "Que pasa? Quieres mas?" like a badass. One of my teammates, who I had no idea even played video games, shouted out, "Carmen!" to which I instantly replied, "Mi amor!"

All the other players were extremely confused. We made no further reference of this for the rest of the game.
That is fucking amazing. :lol

Haunted

Nicktals said:
Yes, you can still get the achievements...you obviously won't be able to do the
champion
mode fights unless you
unlock it in LS mode.

The above sentence doesn't contain character spoils...
Thanks. :) Yeah, not that interested in the
Champions Mode
, so I'll just try my best in LS and if I lose, it's not a biggie.

I just want to try my hand at some of those achievements. :D

Feep said:

:lol

Masked Man

I said wow
SpacePirate Ridley said:
You know you are awesome for knowing all that. ;)
We need to start to translate ALL the quotes and shouts of the boxers. I can do all Flamenco's ones, as im from Spain. Flamenco is very easy to translate for someone who knows a little spanish, but there are some words that are like diminutives and similar things that are not correct if you write them, but are massively used in common talk.

Aw, shucks, well thanks, Ridley. :D It required quite a bit of searching on my part, lol. But I'll do what I can to get all of Hondo's quotes down!

This will be our first GAF Translates!/LttTranslation thread. :lol

Nicktals said:
"My Mother never fed me. I eat because I'm sad, and I fight because I'm mad!"

"I love tropical food, especially Hawaiians."

"Do I smell chocolate?"

"I'll punch YOUR man hole!"

:lol :lol :lol Brilliant!

BorkBork said:
What's everyone's favorite fighter theme? Glass Joe's is amazing, but I haven't unlocked too many yet.

Oh gosh, that's nigh impossible! Regardless of which one(s) I pick, they are all EXTREMELY well done. They fit their respective characters perfectly, and I find them all catchy in their own way.

That said, the Glass Joe arrangement blew me away when I first heard it. Once I heard it, it did not leave my head. It's so French and bouncy. :D Other favorites include the brilliant guitar tour de force of Don Flamenco's theme (I expect quite a few people to record their own versions on Youtube :lol ), Disco Kid's fabulous and dance-alicious remix, King Hippo's tropical island beat, and Piston Hondo's koto-driven theme with some cool rhythmic changes.

eXistor

Just beat that punk Soda Popinksi's ass (TD). He wasn't too bad, you just gotta remember his pattern (I wrote it down) and dodge every move he makes to TKO him in the first round.

Now on to Bald Bull TD. I hear he's the most difficult of all right?

Haunted

eXistor said:
Just beat that punk Soda Popinksi's ass (TD). He wasn't too bad, you just gotta remember his pattern (I wrote it down) and dodge every move he makes to TKO him in the first round.

Now on to Bald Bull TD. I hear he's the most difficult of all right?
I don't think Bald Bull TD is all that tough if you dodge his bull charge instead of trying to counter him.

I thought Don Flamenco TD and Super Macho Man TD were harder.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Haunted said:
I don't think Bald Bull TD is all that tough if you dodge his bull charge instead of trying to counter him.

I'll give you Super Macho Man TD (gave me trouble) but Don Flamenco TD was probably the easiest TD fight from my first playthrough. He's so predictable.

rhino4evr

Haunted said:

Don Flamenco? He was by far the easiest for me. I had the most trouble on Geat Tiger.

Masked Man

I said wow
Beat Bear Hugger TD on the first try, although it was by decision. I didn't bother countering anything for fear of messing up the timing, but I didn't find dodging to be difficult in the least. It was more a battle of attrition than anything. Great Tiger TD was cool, though! Kind of like Simon, as someone previously mentioned. Also, it was nice to see
the return of the NES Magic Punch
. :D

Drakken

Went back to Career mode today after working on achievements yesterday. I had left off at Bald Bull TD. After several unsuccessful attempts, I got the hang of countering his bull charge to the point where I was felt like it was a 50/50 chance. My final fight with him was really intense. Iirc I got to round 3 having been knocked down twice. I got him down twice in the round, so basically whoever got knocked down next was done. It's then that he decided to do his bull charge. I watched and waited for the smoke, and BAM! Clutch. Stayed alive, stunned him, and put him down with a super punch. Man, I was so amped up.

Super Macho Man TD took awhile. My reflexes weren't working too well, so I was basically relying on memorization. I lost enough times that I was able to memorize every punch he throws in the first round. Unfortunately I failed to get him down three times in the first round like I had hoped, and with that my memorization strategy kind of went out the window. Funny enough, my reflexes decided to kick back in in the second round, allowing me to TKO him.

I can't praise Next Level enough for the Mr. Sandman TD fight. Honestly, that's everything I could want in a final (or not so final) "boss." Extremely fun. He's a beast, but I was able to learn his moves without too much trouble. Putting him to sleep felt so good.

So now I'm on
Last Stand
. Wow, talk about intense.
My first draw was Glass Joe, put him down easily. Then I got DONKEY KONG (how awesome is that?!); as expected he beat me (got to round 2 at least). Next up was Mr. Sandman, and I beat him again, much to my delight. That was followed by Joe again, Bear Hugger (won by decision), and Aran Ryan (almost got KOed but bared down to TKO him in round 3). Then Joe again. Then Bald Bull, and unfortunately I didn't fare as well this time. With two losses, I got Joe again (is it normal to get him so many times?). Then came King Hippo, which should have been easy, right? Unfortunately I hadn't fought him since the first time back when I started TD, and I basically forgot what to do to get the manhole cover off (the 3rd time you need to punch him). He KOed me in round 2, and I was seething. With some shame, I reset the game before it saved my third and final loss. Cheap, maybe, but there's no way I was going to play through the whole game again just to get back to Last Stand. Anyway, I then beat him and proceeded on. Since then I've gotten Don Flamenco, Von Kaiser, Hippo again, Disco Kid, and Mr. Sandman again. That's 13 wins (and 2 registered losses). What I'm wondering is how long I have to play this mode; there is an end to it, right? Some way to win for good?

darkpaladinmfc said:
To all GAF having trouble with TD Bald Bull. Look at this video. Watch how he counters the Bull Charge, and remember if you hit him with a 3-Star punch after he stands back up you instant KO him for good.

I didn't realize you could get in those extra jabs for stars. That would definitely make things easier.

Masked Man

I said wow
Found this posted on FFShrine. It's the complete rip of the soundtrack, save for two tracks: Aran Ryan and Bald Bull's "Lose" Themes (when they beat you in TD).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zjf53j

Enjoy! And for those with audio skillz, feel free to mix up some medleys for each fighter. I won't mind if you post them here. ;)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
;_;

I keep getting hit by TD Great Tiger's annoying tornado move, I can't react fast enough to see which way to dodge each time.

pakkit

Banned
Papercuts said:
;_;

I keep getting hit by TD Great Tiger's annoying tornado move, I can't react fast enough to see which way to dodge each time.
You're gonna hate Don Flamenco's special too, then.

dyls

Papercuts said:
;_;

That move gave me some trouble as well. You really have very little time to make your choice which way to dodge. I found it helpful to keep looking at the original Tiger, instead of trying to follow either one of the attacking Tigers. Use your periphery to tell you which one is the real one while keeping your gaze on the middle. It will take away some of the reaction time.

dyls said:
That move gave me some trouble as well. You really have very little time to make your choice which way to dodge. I found it helpful to keep looking at the original Tiger, instead of trying to follow either one of the attacking Tigers. Use your periphery to tell you which one is the real one while keeping your gaze on the middle. It will take away some of the reaction time.
Even when you've "mastered" it, sometimes it just feels like your eyes send the wrong signal to your thumbs and you dodge the wrong way.

For the very first one, at least, he always goes left, right, left. That's good to know if you plan stockpile a star or two.

Papercuts

ShockingAlberto said:
Even when you've "mastered" it, sometimes it just feels like your eyes send the wrong signal to your thumbs and you dodge the wrong way.

For the very first one, at least, he always goes left, right, left. That's good to know if you plan stockpile a star or two.

That'll help, thanks. This is the first time I really noticed the TD rule of go down three times, lose...I could beat him pretty easily if it wasn't for that. It also doesn't help when I perfectly avoid the move there's 1 second left in the round to jab him, then at the start of the next he gets me with every hit. :lol

Feep

Banned
pakkit said:
You're gonna hate Don Flamenco's special too, then.
Wait, time the hell out.

It doesn't matter which way he punches. YOU CAN DUCK EVERY SINGLE ATTACK. There's no need to memorize anything.

BorkBork

Masked Man said:
Found this posted on FFShrine. It's the complete rip of the soundtrack, save for two tracks: Aran Ryan and Bald Bull's "Lose" Themes (when they beat you in TD).

Enjoy! And for those with audio skillz, feel free to mix up some medleys for each fighter. I won't mind if you post them here. ;)

Awesome, I've been looking for someone to get it all into one package.

Fuu

Masked Man said:

Sweet!

Papercuts

Feep said:
Wait, time the hell out.

It doesn't matter which way he punches. YOU CAN DUCK EVERY SINGLE ATTACK. There's no need to memorize anything.

Haha, yeah.

I finally beat Great Tiger, and still didn't really like it. The fight itself was really cool but that move seriously brought the whole thing down, even though I beat it, it only feels like luck, which isn't the case for any other fight. Also when you look at the stats for the fight, it's really crazy how badly you need to master him....

I was knocked down twice, landed ~140 punches, missed 9. He was knocked down 5, landed 12 punches, missed ~60 yet I was on the verge of losing because of the arbitrary 3 downs you're out thing. I don't mind the fact that you do need to basically master the fighter to beat him here, but that attack was 50/50 for me all the time, and the only reason I was knocked down.

But with Don Flamenco, holy shit. I beat him by decision on my first try, which makes him the first person I've fought on TD without losing atleast once. He had two easy to dodge moves, and his super attack was just duck, duck, duck and easily sidestepped afterwards. I didn't get anywhere near KOing him, but he wastes so much time between attacks that he's also the only fighter I never KOed even during the original fight.

Haunted said:

But if you try and dodge his charge, doesn't he just keep doing it until he hit's you or you hit him?

Sciz

Masked Man said:

Hah, I was right, Disco Kid really was Kid Quick at one point. :lol

Fuu

2 Minutes Turkish said:
But if you try and dodge his charge, doesn't he just keep doing it until he hit's you or you hit him?
No, he takes his sweet time but he eventually stops by himself.

Fuu said:
No, he takes his sweet time but he eventually stops by himself.

Fuck I remember waiting and waiting and the fucker did it like 10 times or some shit in the original before finally knocking me down.

I wanted to break my own skull I was that pissed off.

Same with the SNES version.

Haunted

Did you guys KO or TKO Don Flamenco TD? Because I could only whittle him down to a decision by not taking the offensive at all. I guess he's relatively easy to get by, but KOing him? And don't get me started on the beatdown I received
when he lost his wig.

I beat Great Tiger TD easily, even Bear Hugger TD gave me bigger problems (although that was because I wanted to counter all his shots to get lotsa stars).

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I think 4 times was the maximum he did in my case.

Haunted said:
I think 4 times was the maximum he did in my case.

ok. Well put the exaggeration down to my age at the time I guess. :lol

I'm gonna jump back in to this game tonight. I beat Hippo TD last night so I'm in to the next circuit.

I'll see how I go.

Thanks for the help with Hippo TD by the way guys.

Nicktals

Banned
Papercuts said:
Haha, yeah.

I finally beat Great Tiger, and still didn't really like it. The fight itself was really cool but that move seriously brought the whole thing down, even though I beat it, it only feels like luck, which isn't the case for any other fight. Also when you look at the stats for the fight, it's really crazy how badly you need to master him....

Should I spoil this strategy? Well, I will...But it's only a strategy spoiler.

Counter each punch of his special. It's actually quite easy to counter. If you have a star, and successfully counter each punch, and then dodge his spinning attack, use your star for an instant KnockOUT!!!

It's awesome how great of strategies you learn going for achievements...That's probably my best find yet though.

Haunted said:
Did you guys KO or TKO Don Flamenco TD? Because I could only whittle him down to a decision by not taking the offensive at all. I guess he's relatively easy to get by, but KOing him? And don't get me started on the beatdown I received
when he lost his wig.

TKO in the 2nd round...But that's all I've really tried for. I think I could TKO in the first round if I took the time to try for a perfect round...But I'm not sure of that. Would be very tight, and would have to be perfect...

Papercuts

Nicktals said:
Should I spoil this strategy? Well, I will...But it's only a strategy spoiler.

Counter each punch of his special. It's actually quite easy to counter. If you have a star, and successfully counter each punch, and then dodge his spinning attack, use your star for an instant KnockOUT!!!

It's awesome how great of strategies you learn going for achievements...That's probably my best find yet though.

Damn! I'll have to try that.

What I did was counter the red gem punches for stars, then do the sequence attack correctly for another star, wait until I did a normal knockdown first(since he goes in the same pattern on that attack), dodge the white gem attack and use the 3 star punch, then worked him down to an eventual knockout in the third round.

And yeah, I wonder how much of this stuff is hidden throughout the game. I still think the TD Aran Ryan instant knockout is the funniest/best one yet though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, I imported this from Europe since my shitty country doesn't have a solid release date, and if it does it's nowhere soon.

I'm floored. Punch-Out!! was one of the first games I ever played, and it's long since burnt itself into my memory. Well, how frighteningly difficult it was for my child-like mind is probably the one main thing I remember.

This delivers on so many fronts. It's like the first half is the best trip down nostalgia lane possible, while the second half throws a whole new game at you while referencing the original.

I have to say though, my skills are truly awful and I feel like hurling the remote at the screen. My proudest moments wast the first time I defeated Super Macho Man, as I ended up doing so without taking a single blow, TKO in the first round.

Once you have his moveset down pat and know how to get a the stars he's really, really easy. One of the moves he does is quite common and has an easy star opening.

BorkBork

TD Sandman down to a Star Punch! EPIC 3rd round KO woooooooo!!!

Holy shit I just read about Last Stand Mode and Champion's Mode. :lol

The Wii officially has the MOST HARDCORE GAME EVER.

rhino4evr

BorkBork said:
TD Sandman down to a Star Punch! EPIC 3rd round KO woooooooo!!!

Holy shit I just read about Last Stand Mode and Champion's Mode. :lol

The Wii officially has the MOST HARDCORE GAME EVER.

it's definitely the most old school title Nintendo has done in a long time. I think the last Nintendo game to have this much challenge was F-Zero Gx (which was really a SEGA game)

Masked Man

I said wow
Okay, so I have absolutely no audio mixing skillz whatsoever, but I strung together all of the Don Flamenco themes (and did a little editing to make it flow as smoothly as possible). If this seems like an acceptable format, then I'll just do the same thing with the rest of the Punch-Out character themes.

Don Flamenco
(Loss... -> Fight Theme -> Get Up! -> Pause Theme -> Knockdown! -> Victory! -> Match Complete)

Let me know what you think!

Top Bottom