• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Advertising at Wii U Best Buy Events

kick51

Banned
Ryse is hated on GAF but it is a game that the mainstream audience embrace at this very moment. It's hovering between #2-5 position on Amazon for Xbox One best selling games, along with heavyweights like CoD, Battlefield, Forza etc.

If you take what was said by Daniel Cook to be true, then the market taste has indeed changed.

"game that the mainstream audience embrace"

and you're citing amazon charts, which show zero numbers, only placement.

Between this and saying people don't like Platinum Games because their games will not sell well, I'd recommend you don't quit your day job.

Permanently A

Oh god, I just realized the video, in response to the concerns over the Xbone spying on you, the guy says "Put a blanket over it"

This is almost too ridiculous to be true

I hope they get counter-trolled by informed fans.

I didn't know those existed.

I bet that guy in the video thought he was clever calling it the spybox. I wonder how long it took him to think that one up.

Oh god, I just realized the video, in response to the concerns over the Xbone spying on you, the guy says "Put a blanket over it"

This is almost too ridiculous to be true

Of course it's ridiculous.

He wasn't being serious. He was responding to the paranoid nerd thinking Microsoft is bugging his house with Kinect.

Still a jerk move for that Microsoft guy to be there, though I don't know the whole story. I wonder if Microsoft sent him there or if he was there on his own accord. I can imagine him just being a merchandiser and stocking the shelves, seeing the Wii U and sticking around for a bit.

Usobuko

Banned
"game that the mainstream audience embrace"

and you're citing amazon charts, which show zero numbers, only placement.

Between this and saying people don't like Platinum Games because their games will not sell well, I'd recommend you don't quit your day job.

Hold your horses before you make a personal attack.

Amazon Charts was part of the equation, the second part of the post was proposing the taste of the industry might have been shifted. I'll recommend you to read between the lines regarding Platinum Games.

Aristion

Banned
There was DEFINITELY a man from Microsoft at the Best Buy Nintendo event in Kissimmee. He was speaking with one of the Nintendo representatives.

This is VERY INTERESTING.

kick51

Banned
Hold your horses before you make a personal attack.

Amazon Charts was part of the equation, the second part of the post was proposing the taste of the industry might have been shifted. I'll recommend you to read between the lines regarding Platinum Games.

nope, sorry, gonna have to explain it. it's not clear.

Fox Mulder

I've seen reps for a number of companies in Best Buy. A directv rep tried to convert me and ask a bunch of questions, but I'm a cord cutter.

big_z

Actually, from what I understand the MS Reps that are starting to show up in Best Buy stores is for a different reason. At least from everything that I've read.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/microsoft-to-open-mini-stores-inside-best-buy/

Similar to those Samsung Experience areas inside of Best Buy.

Edit:
Oh I see someone already posted this. But yeah, that's basically what they've been doing.

Pretty much this. It's also not uncommon for reps from various companies to be roaming bestbuys.

The guy in the video seems to be on his way home or to work (hence the back pack)and simply chatting up with other gaming fans. Its not like he was preaching and handing out pamphlets for the xbone religion. This is a non story people want to use as another check box to shit on Microsoft with.

Azheim

Neo Member
Some guy in a black polo with a non-descript (not Sony, MS, or Best buy) logo was hovering near the start of the (100+ person) line at the event I went to today. He was trying to dissuade people from waiting, and I believe was praising the virtues of another console as I walked up. He was already into his spiel by the time we got there, and I didn't hear exactly which console he was supporting. What I did hear clearly was: "Are you really going to wait? All you're going to get to play here is Mario Kart and Mario World." When the group in front of us said that they did, in fact, want to stay he sort of shrugged his shoulders, sighed reluctantly and said "Alright, I guess they do have the swag." (Referring to the Wii U bags and lanyards, and Mario Kart pennants being given to the attendees.) He then walked away, and I didn't notice him again.

He seemed very corporate. Way too clean and professional to be some passing fanboy.

fred

Sounds like a load of old bollocks to me. If they were going to send staff to distract people from the Wii U to the one they'd use babes, not fat blokes.

Codeblue

Some guy in a black polo with a non-descript (not Sony, MS, or Best buy) logo was hovering near the start of the (100+ person) line at the event I went to today. He was trying to dissuade people from waiting, and I believe was praising the virtues of another console as I walked up. He was already into his spiel by the time we got there, and I didn't hear exactly which console he was supporting. What I did hear clearly was: "Are you really going to wait? All you're going to get to play here is Mario Kart and Mario World." When the group in front of us said that they did, in fact, want to stay he sort of shrugged his shoulders, sighed reluctantly and said "Alright, I guess they do have the swag." (Referring to the Wii U bags and lanyards, and Mario Kart pennants being given to the attendees.) He then walked away, and I didn't notice him again.

He seemed very corporate. Way too clean and professional to be some passing fanboy.

There's swag?

watership

I love this. Microsoft Stores are being built up in Best Buys in the US starting this week, for a lunch in late June, and there have been no less than 3 posts linking, and confirming that is happening to Best Buys, all over the country... and almost everyone in here is ignoring that fact.

Typical Microsoft. Spending millions building up stores in Best Buys.... just to socially engineer Xbox One sales.

freddy

Banned
Sounds like a load of old bollocks to me. If they were going to send staff to distract people from the Wii U to the one they'd use babes, not fat blokes.

This is Microsoft we are talking about. Ballmer thinks he is sexy so he likes his reps to look like him.

Ok, that was lame.

Ryse is hated on GAF but it is a game that the mainstream audience embrace at this very moment. It's hovering between #2-5 position on Amazon for Xbox One best selling games, along with heavyweights like CoD, Battlefield, Forza etc.

If you take what was said by Daniel Cook to be true, then the market taste has indeed changed.

tumblr_mc99xdfMqw1riahmqo1_400.gif

Yeah, judging from the buzz I've been hearing, Nintendo should definitely put more people on Mario Kart 8 to get it out for the holidays. and push 3D Mario into an early 2014 title.

Top Bottom