• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Advertising at Wii U Best Buy Events

O7PctG2.jpg
Dude looks like a mormon

"Hello children, have you heard the good news of the Lord? I'd like to talk to you about the One true god."

Xav

So Microsoft is advertising their new ONLINE obsessed console to the most OFFLINE audience around in Nintendo fans?

This is the new c block. It's called console blocking. All jokes aside. Positive Word of mouth is very powerful and is actual what microsoft needs. I had a marketing professor convince the majority of people in my class not to shop at best buy because of a bad experience he had. All these guys are doing is planting seeds. Don't look at a few people being told something. Word of mouth grows exponentially. Is it disgusting yes. One of the reason I decided against a career in marketing.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I know these reps have existed since early on in the 360 gen and are present at a wide variety of events.

Sorcerer

I wonder if the reps were doing double duty and trying to convince people in the Apple department to get a pc with Windows 8 instead.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
As far as I know these reps have existed since early on in the 360 gen and are present at a wide variety of events.

Yes, I used to work at a GameStop and I can tell you that all three companies have local retail reps that go into the stores and do things like check marketing, demo discs, look at stock and sales numbers, etc.

These reps are probably just onsite to do their normal job and people are just now noticing them due to the increased E3 foot traffic. Unless this is happening everywhere I severely doubt that this is a legitimate attempt by MS to advertise at the Wii U events.

starmud

i feel bad for any rep trying to shill xbox to a line of nintendo fans waiting to play the new mario... talk about a hard sell.

theeraser

An MS guy was at the event I went to in Manchester, CT. He just asked a couple questions about everyone's impression of the XBone E3 conference, got a few negative responses, and then left after watching a group play some levels in Mario.

The crowd was pretty respectful toward him, and he was pretty respectful toward us. Overall, not the worst way to market your product I guess.

Meelow

Banned
LOL Sony is in on this too? Oh god, now it's even more hilarious.

The thing about this is, why is Sony sinking down to this level? I know they did some pretty hilarious stuff before but they shouldn't sink to this level when the PS4 is getting great reactions.

Hey, nintendo fans, want to pay for multiplayer, keep your games forever and have our one and only great DRM? Great!!!

Only on XB1!!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
LOL Sony is in on this too? Oh god, now it's even more hilarious.

All three companies have these types of reps and have had them for years. They get sent out to a wide variety of stores and events sometimes to promote a specific game release or in-store promotion, but oftentimes just as general representation.

Two people were standing across the aisle in which the demo was setup ( on both sides of the people playing the game). One shouts to the other - 'Did you see the Ryse video'. The other said 'That looked amazing. I already have it pre-ordered'. The first guy also had a running commentary during most of the demos, including "This looks like a 3DS game" (3D World), "Look at that horrible loading time" (DKCR) and "Didn't this game come out 10 years ago?" (Zelda).

Didn't look like some planned marketing. They seemed to fit the awkward basement dwelling stereotypes.

Usobuko

Banned
Two people were standing across the aisle in which the demo was setup ( on both sides of the people playing the game). One shouts to the other - 'Did you see the Ryse video'. The other said 'That looked amazing. I already have it pre-ordered'. The first guy also had a running commentary during most of the demos, including "This looks like a 3DS game" (3D World), "Look at that horrible loading time" (DKCR) and "Didn't this game come out 10 years ago?" (Zelda).

Didn't look like some planned marketing. They seemed to fit the awkward basement dwelling stereotypes.

I'm curious and sorry for being daft, is that your real life account on this?

GulAtiCa

hahaha. That sounds more like a fanboy with way too much time on their hands then a rep.

Permanently A

They looked like normal folks. If they had been a bit better dressed, I might have thought they were marketing folks. I just found it a bit weird that they picked Ryse of all games to discuss.

I guess Ryse is the most cinematically appealing game that screams "these are next gen graphics." Its a shame the gameplay looks boring.

Usobuko

Banned
They looked like normal folks. If they had been a bit better dressed, I might have thought they were marketing folks. I just found it a bit weird that they picked Ryse of all games to discuss.

Ryse is hated on GAF but it is a game that the mainstream audience embrace at this very moment. It's hovering between #2-5 position on Amazon for Xbox One best selling games, along with heavyweights like CoD, Battlefield, Forza etc.

If you take what was said by Daniel Cook to be true, then the market taste has indeed changed.

You got the sense the pre-Xbox, 'gamers as bros' was a smaller subculture within the nerdy, whimsical hobby of games. Over two console generations, a highly cynical marketing team spent billions with no hope of immediate payback to shift the market. In an act of brilliant jujitsu, Nintendo was slandered as a kids platform, their historical strength turned against them. Xbox put machismo, ultra-violence and chimpboys with backwards caps in the paid spotlight. Wedge, wedge, wedge. Gamers were handed a pre-packaged group identity via the propaganda machine of a mega corporation. For those raised post-Xbox, Microsoft was an unquestioned Mecca of modern gaming culture. Dude. They made Halo.

The thing about this is, why is Sony sinking down to this level? I know they did some pretty hilarious stuff before but they shouldn't sink to this level when the PS4 is getting great reactions.

The last thing Sony or Microsoft want to see is a resurgent Nintendo, especially given the common reasons given for Wii U's tepid postlaunch sales i.e consumer confusion about the name, the gimmick, etc

Meelow

Banned
The last thing Sony or Microsoft want to see is a resurgent Nintendo, especially given the common reasons given for Wii U's tepid postlaunch sales i.e consumer confusion about the name, the gimmick, etc

Doesn't this give Nintendo permission to do this at a PS4 and Xbox One event?

RobertC

Banned
It wasn't that long ago when there were all sorts of doom and gloom for Wii-U... Xbox One's presence has taken some of the heat off, but it doesn't take away the stuff that happened.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
After E3 we now know that there will be only one next-gen console with no DRM and free online. Nintendo can advertise consumer rights as a feature, and no, the account system problem isn't nearly as bad as what Xbox One is doing.

SmokeMaxX

Ryse is hated on GAF but it is a game that the mainstream audience embrace at this very moment. It's hovering between #2-5 position on Amazon for Xbox One best selling games, along with heavyweights like CoD, Battlefield, Forza etc.

If you take what was said by Daniel Cook to be true, then the market taste has indeed changed.

The reason I prefer Nintendo is because I don't think "interactive movies" should count as "good video games." Nintendo's always put having fun and actually playing the game first.

Castcoder

Banned
I'm wondering if Microsoft will be putting in ads for the XBONE with Amazon PS4 shipments. I believe something like thay happened with Medal of Honor and Call of Duty, right?

freddy

Banned
If the guy is an over zealous employee there on other business, a fan with a Microsoft shirt on or a genuine shill sent to drum up good word for Xbone it's still hugely embarrassing for Microsoft. How low can you sink?

Top Bottom