• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Advertising at Wii U Best Buy Events

CTLance

I really cannot imagine that this is cost effective, even if the paid shills only get a Happy meal per day out of it.

Why WiiU, anyway. They'd be more effective if the shills buzzed around the 360/PS3 areas, methinks.

Still, it's probably pretty hilarious to watch.

Maxxan

This might just be one or two opportunistic reps looking to score some pre-order bonuses from a large gaming crowd. Not the smartest of ideas, regardless of who came up with it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
"Dude, I live in Argentina (I'm only here on vacation), my internet connection is crappy, always lend a lot of games and only buy used. Oh, and I don't have cable TV."

I'd love to see the response to that.

Stainless

"Dude, I live in Argentina (I'm only here on vacation), my internet connection is crappy, always lend a lot of games and only buy used. Oh, and I don't have cable TV."

I'd love to see the response to that.

Their response is they have a product for you. It's called an Xbox 360

qko

Having worked at a now defunct electronics store, I'd get pissed when reps from HP and Canon would haggle customers in the camera section openly talking crap and ruining my own sales when such as selling a 12MP Sony Cybershot with 4gb mem card and warranty, only to have jerk off reps sell customers on $99 4.0 HP cameras with 512MB on board memory straight up lying about how "Megapixels don't matter".

I hated that the Manager would just shrug and say "Hey, they pay good money to have a rep here"
And that's probably why they died.

I believe it. Pretty lame of MS, instead of having an attractive product that speaks for itself they feel the need to try to rain on another company's parade. I can't imagine any of these reps were very successful.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
"Hey, would you like me to show you how superior Xbox One is?"

"Sure"

"Go ahead and unzip your pants and bend over for me..."

JDSN

Banned
There were a couple of gaffers at the events, maybe we should hear what they gotta say. Or send them on a witchunt, Gaf loves those.

After the roller coaster of nonsense that MS has been riding the past 4 weeks, I'm inclined to believe this is actually happening.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
A best buy employee also talked about how Microsoft and Sony have contracts with them to limit competitor demo stations allowed in different stores.

I don't think this is true. MS, Sony, Nintendo, all pay for demo stations (or in some other way have a contract with Best Buy to use that space). Least at the event I was at in Denver, it appeared Nintendo was making use of the same Wii U interactive that's always in the store. I don't think they pay to limit their competitors, they pay to have the space for their own interactive.

Would love more verification of this

As of now it could just be some rogue and overly excited MS reps

I think they were likely told to do this at this event but without more confirmation it really isn't proven

Would love to tell this to people and show them it as a fact, not a rumor

Would just add salt to MS's wound :D

SPDIF

Reminds me of this

j0lx.jpg

During the launch of the PS3 in France.

jergrah

I took one of my sons to the event north of Seattle last night and it was only Nintendo - no one from Microsoft around.

I'm thankful for this kind of stuff because now I no longer have to go into lengthy discussions with people explaining why I've always disliked Microsoft.

stuminus3

Banned
Trying to sell an Xbone to people who are interested in Nintendo games doesn't strike me as being a particularly smart move. I could see it if it was PS4 demo stations (scummy as it would still be), but... what the heck does an Xbox offer to people who want Nintendo?

char0n

Lets see, posts come from /v/ (famous for anonymous posting and thus the ability to post multiple times pretending to be different people), "picture evidence" is one picture of a guy who looks more like a /v/ poster wearing a microsoft polo in an attempt to look like a microsoft employee than an actual microsoft rep...

Yeah I'm going to say most likely fake.

Went there yesterday, didn't see any MS employees around. I think the Nintendo women manning the event would've told them off lol

The closest I got to MS were people coming over wondering why there so many people at a Wii U booth. They had came from the Xbox section.

scurker

I didn't have problems with Microsoft at our store, but did have issues with the store employees trying to sell to us. BestBuy employees were asking people to pre-order, and then someone from the phone area was trying to see if people were interested in upgrading their cell contracts.

UrbanRats

Wacky marketing, but i'm sure if Sony did something similar, in this moment in time, we wouldn't be just as critical.

I guess it's kind of natural to pile on Microsoft at the moment.

Top Bottom