• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope to see the SCD on Friday but if the thing is real they should release it in several years to buff up the switch as Sony and Microsoft are doing with PS4 pro or scorpio.
You buy the SCD as an add-on to buff your switch, no need to buy a new console, it could be cool

No way in hell we see anything about an SCD on Friday. Want to confuse your customers? Start talking about optional add-ons that effect the performance of your console.

LordKano

Did GoNintendo seriously reported a list with Dragon Quest X as a launch game on it ?
I thought they were somewhat a bit serious concerning their reports.

GAMETA

Banned
Nintendo Spain's PR manager just posted this on his Twitter, and I think it's amazing. Not sure if it's his creation, but whatever.

C1vh-jaWQAEbZ3O.jpg

Why the Wii tho?

It's nice and yet.. a little sad that Snes, N64 and NGC which are the most beloved nintendo consoles, are not seen as important markers! But i get the logic i guess. Nes and Wii were mainstream innovations. Others are just damn good consoles..
Could've added the N64 (1996) on there.
I think you guys are overthinking it. It's directly aping an existing image with only 2 "old" machines, and if you're going to pick two old Nintendo machines to show off there's little contest.

AdanVC

I probably won't buy a Switch until 2018, but I am super excited to see what Nintendo brings on Friday software wise.

I really don't think we are gonna see that many play it outside, especially after the mobile gaming boom. Heck, I could count the people I saw play on the DS or 3DS on one hand here in Scandinavia. And seeing others lend out their stuff? Nope. They'll be afraid you'll run away with their joy-con.

Well you got a point in there. But at least it could be a nice conversation starter just like Pokémon Go. I meet tons of people thanks to that game and zero issues with people running away with phones or stuff hah.

Matbtz

No way in hell we see anything about an SCD on Friday. Want to confuse your customers? Start talking about optional add-ons that effect the performance of your console.

Yep that's exactly what I am saying. In my perspective I would like to see it but we won't.

Edit : I said "I would hope" on the other page but I meant "I would like"

Yep that's exactly what I am saying. In my perspective I would like to see it but we won't.

Edit: "I would like" definitely makes a lot more sense. I too am curious.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it. Still hard for me to imagine the whole "switch" aspect working well if you've got an SCD attached to the base. Maintaining compatibility sounds like a nightmare. We shall see.

How did it change the industry? No one cares about motion controls anymore and have gone to traditional stuff again.

You serious? The amount of VR related motion control tech out there right now is huge. Just because we're still using controllers as our main input on consoles doesn't mean it didn't have an effect.

random25

How did it change the industry? No one cares about motion controls anymore and have gone to traditional stuff again.

VR uses a ton of motion controls.

As much as people hate on motion controls nowadays, that concept still lives and will continue to live one way or another.

jmizzal

Reddit Rumour:

someone says their gamestop germany employee showed them what games can be pre-ordered for the switch.

"http://imgur.com/8jwngTz Just got to see this list at my Local GameStop, Germany."

prices and release dates are placeholders so far if I understand correct. But honestly I just found it funny and probably fake

This was posted on gonintendo twitter

But I really hate how misinformation spreads, somebody replied saying "I thought Bethesda said they are not really developing Skyrim for Switch"

Bethesda never said that, all they said was they have nothing to announce at this time.

NateDrake

GoNintendo used to be banned on this site. I don't really take them all that seriously.

GoNintendo got banned for their spreading of random rumors that were false - like AcidGhost. This case is just them reporting something that is going around Nintendo channels. The list is clearly a collection of announced software and the release date isn't accurate.

what-ok

I would also like to see it too. Could a SCD be as simple as a Wii U that some people have sitting around the house?

bumpkin

Nintendo Spain's PR manager just posted this on his Twitter, and I think it's amazing. Not sure if it's his creation, but whatever.

C1vh-jaWQAEbZ3O.jpg
I appreciate the sentiment, but find the lack of a GameCube in there insulting. That was an awesome little box.

GoNintendo reports every single thing.

They seem to be in full-on excitement mode right now. They're even tweeting about Gamestop just having a Switch banner on their mobile app.

GoNintendo got banned for their spreading of random rumors that were false - like AcidGhost. This case is just them reporting something that is going around Nintendo channels. The list is clearly a collection of announced software and the release date isn't accurate.

Yeah, I'm not saying they're awful, dishonest people or anything, but they literally report every single bit of Nintendo info they can find, which translates into a lot of useless noise, so I don't really rely on them for sound info.

And don't every controller have some kind of motion input in them nowadays? PS4 things and XBox and stuff?

Wii was a huge thing and it certainly changed gaming forever. One must be of a peculiar mind if he thinks otherwise.

Nes did that too back in the day.

So that ad thing is quite fitting, and it has just swapped a couple consoles and TV's anyway.

Even the "sceptics" part was in the original. Great work nevertheless.

If it's really going to happen, I'm going to give it a few years. I already know someone that thinks you HAVE to take it everywhere and the concept of taking out joycons for multiplayer makes it confusing like it's another console. All he says is "I just want a box that sits at your TV. That's it." I literally said to just leave it docked the whole time....... He may be part of a VERY minuscule minority though. The trailer was literally on point to the features. It's a console you can take anywhere and optionally allows local multiplayer on the go using the joycons. It's simple. Still, some people just needs to the this kind of shit in person just to understand it.

GAMETA

Banned
The Wii was a juggernaut that fundamentally changed the industry

The Wii was a "casual bet" that paid well for 3 years and then diminished Nintendo's image as a hardware developer. They made a lot o money but are still struggling to get people back on board, especially the oldschool/hardcore.

N64 belongs in that image, not the crappy wiggle wiggle aimed TV controller system crap. I don't know a single person that holds the Wii dearly. Do you know a single person that says "do you remember the Wii good old days?"?...

N64 changed the industry for good via it's games. Nothing was ever same... the only thing the Wii changed was Nintendo, and for the worse.

What I want to know is if the Sonic listing is new. The user said everything besides Sonic is a release title, I assume Project Sonic 2017 is the "besides" since you see it's preceded by "D-NSW" where as the others are "NSW", so maybe Project Sonic 2017 is supposed to be replaced by the generic one (maybe because it's now 2017?).

The Wii was a "casual bet" that paid well for 3 years and then diminished Nintendo's image as a hardware developer. They made a lot o money but are still struggling to get people back on board, especially the oldschool/hardcore.

N64 belongs in that image, not the crappy wiggle wiggle aimed TV controller system crap. I don't know a single person that holds the Wii dearly. Do you know a single person that says "do you remember the Wii good old days?"?...

N64 changed the industry for good via it's games. Nothing was ever same... the only thing the Wii changed was Nintendo, and for the worse.

Jesus, this post.

And yes, I know quite a few people who hold the Wii in high regard. I played Mario Kart Wii at my brother's house recently. His family loves the system to this day.

The NES and Wii were breakout, mainstream successes that resonated beyond the community of core gamers. The N64 was not.

Shahadan

"I don't like the Wii therefore it doesn't belong on this image" zzzzz

Btw I remember the Wii dearly and I enjoyed more games on it than GC or N64.

ksamedi

Lol its one of my favorite Nintendo consoles. Ive heard a large number of gaffers say this as well.

Lylo

"I don't like the Wii therefore it doesn't belong on this image" zzzzz

Btw I remember the Wii dearly and I enjoyed more games on it than GC or N64.

Yeah, i don't get why people get so mad at the Wii, it was a massive success for Nintendo. The N64 is my favorite console ever, but the Wii deserves to be in that image.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

1. They could only show 3 consoles as it was redoing an old NES ad with the identical layout.

2. They're clearly promoting their hardware that was their biggest mainstream successes as the Wii and NES were their two biggest selling home consoles. Thus they're trying to advertise the Switch as the next must have home entertainment device--not as a gaming machine for the core/hardcore gamer market.

They've talked repeatedly about not being able to compete with Sony/MS for that market. They just don't have the IPs, artstyles etc. to compete for the mainstream market that's all about shooters, sports sims, GTA/AssCreed style games, WRPGs and what not.

For better or worse, they're relevance as a hardware maker is to their sizeable base across handheld and console (say 50-60 millionish with 3DS/Wii U since we can't account for overlap), any current non-gamers (lapsed gamers and what not) that they can get back on board, and whatever chunck of the core/hardcore they can get to buy their hardware to have something different than what they get on their main platform(s). But the base is key as those are the folks who buy their games with ridiculously high attach rates, and will now have access to all their games on one platform, as well as all the DLC for them, all the Amiibos tied to the games etc.

Nintendo is never going back to being an "industry leader" that's driving graphics or mainstream gaming trends like they did with NES, SNES and N64 (or even GCN). They'll find success through the above or exit the hardware business and go on whatever path there after.

SirShandy

Did GoNintendo seriously reported a list with Dragon Quest X as a launch game on it ?
I thought they were somewhat a bit serious concerning their reports.

If you're talking about the Gamestop Germany list ( showing what's on the their computer system), GoNintendo doesn't claim anything about those titles being for launch.

GoNintendo also clearly delineate when something is purely a rumor with a tag.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The Wii is pretty much the thing that kept Nintendo the most relevant over the past 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom