• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordRaptor

The wii changed the industry because it suddenly became vitally important to label consumers into two seperate groups or "real gamers" and "fake casuals".
Before then nobody cared that the PS2 hit its hundreds of millions on the backs of people playing JRPGs, on the backs of people playing Madden & FIFA and on the backs of people playing SingStar & Buzz.

When the Wii hit its hundreds of millions, it became vitally important everyone knew that those people don't count and are scum unworthy of real games that should fuck off to facebook and mobile instead and leave us real gamers with our real games.

Nintendo Spain's PR manager just posted this on his Twitter, and I think it's amazing. Not sure if it's his creation, but whatever.

C1vh-jaWQAEbZ3O.jpg

What's behind the tarp?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, i don't get why people get so mad at the Wii, it was a massive success for Nintendo. The N64 is my favorite console ever, but the Wii deserves to be in that image.

I mean I can get the disdain many have for it. It is the prime example of Nintendo pivoting away from "core/hardcore" gamers and focusing on kids and casuals. It lacked HD graphics in the HD era, which sucked for longtime Nintendo fans as with NES, SNES, N64 and GCN was very competitive (if not on top among the major consoles) in power and graphics technology.

So for a lot of people it was the generation a console/game maker they'd long been fans of shifted into something that no longer matched their interests in the hobby. I mildly feel that way as I didn't care much for the Wii, but I'm not angry about it. Nintendo just shifted to being my least played, but still worth owning, platform.

In any case, the Wii very much deserves to be in the image as it's their biggest success and they hope the Switch is more in the vein of Wii and NES rather than their other consoles that all sold less than the NES/

GAMETA

Banned
Why not the Wii? It had a huge effect on the industry and was a huge success for Nintendo.

Add on that rumors point to the joy-cons basically being wii-motes, and it makes perfect sense.

Maybe because the casuals don't give a damn about it anymore, now that it's past?

Who gives a shit about the Wii? The WiiU was a much better console than the Wii and yet it didn't sell... how can that be? It even has the Wii name on it... maybe it's cause the Wii never had loyal fans.. It was a trendy product, a fad, nothing more...

Casuals look at the Wii on the image and say: "Oh, that shit again? I don't think I'll buy it" (and they won't, unless it becomes trendy)

Hardcores look at it and think: "Oh, that shit again? I don't think I'll buy it, it's a Wii/WiiU 2.0"

You see, Nintendo's targeting it at no one except for us loyal long term fans... "but hey, let's launch the console with loads of WiiU remastered games, that way the only people that bought the WiiU can buy the same games again". - Jenius (with a J).

Got

Banned
Just overheard a bit of convo at Target between a Nintendo Rep and a manager. The rep mentioned getting the store it's promo material for the Switch before Friday and the manager joked about getting a Switch for him to take home if the Nintendo rep didnt mind. Got me a little more excited.

Just overheard a bit of convo at Target between a Nintendo Rep and a manager. The rep mentioned getting the store it's promo material for the Switch before Friday and the manager joked about getting a Switch for him to take home if the Nintendo rep didnt mind. Got me a little more excited.
You should've recorded them and blackmail them to let you get to take the Switch home lol

I have no idea how tech like that works. Just reaching out to better understand what a SCD could be.

I'm going to doubt that the charging port is thunderbolt (Newest version uses USB C form factor) but it's fast enough to send GPU frame buffers. The Switch OS would just have a firmware update to add drivers, and when docked, the console would just switch GPU devices. It would probably work like Optimus where the Switch's internal GPU would push the frame buffers to the screen and the SCD dock would do the math, but the problem is that it won't be seamless anymore. A game would have to be restarted.

Maybe because the casuals don't give a damn about it anymore, now that it's past?

Who gives a shit about the Wii? The WiiU was a much better console than the Wii and yet it didn't sell... how can that be? It even has the Wii name on it... maybe it's cause the Wii never had loyal fans.. It was a trendy product, a fad, nothing more...

Casuals look at the Wii on the image and say: "Oh, that shit again? I don't think I'll buy it" (and they won't, unless it becomes trendy)

Hardcores look at it and think: "Oh, that shit again? I don't think I'll buy it, it's a Wii/WiiU 2.0"

You see, Nintendo's targeting it at no one except for us loyal long term fans... "but hey, let's launch the console with loads of WiiU remastered games, that way the only people that bought the WiiU can buy the same games again". - Jenius (with a J).

Tell me who touched your Wii.

dayum, 512gb SD cards are expensive. I wonder if that will be the desired route in terms of capacity we should be looking for

also the instant a port is announced for switch I'm selling that copy of my wii u game... it would be cool to actually sell my wii u collection and the console itself and have that pay for the entire switch launch

delume

Love that poster. I personally would have picked the NES and Gameboy as the two machines to show how the Switch is the portable and home system evolving together,

I have no idea how tech like that works. Just reaching out to better understand what a SCD could be.

I think the idea of the SCD would be that it would be some modular component that you were either swapping with something better (It's a graphic's card that's better than the one in the current system, and therefore you bypass the existing one and use the better one to improve your experience while docked), or maybe you're doubling what's already there (You're adding an additional graphics card that can work in line with what's already in the system to provide a better experience while docked).

For that to work, the architectures would need to be pretty well in line between the scd and the switch itself. As such, attaching something like the Wii U wouldn't help a whole lot since they're totally different, and likely largely incompatible pieces of technology; one couldn't boost the other.

what-ok

I think the idea of the SCD would be that it would be some modular component that you were either swapping with something better (It's a graphic's card that's better than the one in the current system, and therefore you bypass the existing one and use the better one to improve your experience while docked), or maybe you're doubling what's already there (You're adding an additional graphics card that can work in line with what's already in the system to provide a better experience while docked).

For that to work, the architectures would need to be pretty well in line between the scd and the switch itself. As such, attaching something like the Wii U wouldn't help a whole lot since they're totally different, and likely largely incompatible pieces of technology; one couldn't boost the other.
Thanks for the great explanation.

GAMETA

Banned
Wait, are you actually serious?

I believe he is and so am I... Wii was a fad... no one cares about it anymore.. maybe Sean Malstrom, his followers and people that became a Nintendo fan after 2006.

I've been on this boat since the NES man, most my friends (the ones that still play video-games) will agree with me... the Wii was a huge mistake, it was Nintendo turning its back to the people that loved and supported it. It sold incredibly well, it surely did, but at an extremely high cost to the company's image, to the point where the WiiU (that is a fairly decent console with amazing games) sold almost anything.

Lgndryhr

I'm glad it's a game we all know about and not spoiling a new game.

I think Nintendo is being a lot more careful this go around not to spoil as much. I feel like all the games we know of are obvious choices.

Dat first comment

Haha I had to go back to see it.

Did somebody screen cap the post?

Trying to find it now. All I have for now are these two URL's
http://www.nintendo-master.com/news...a-nintendo-switch-le-14-ou-15-janvier-a-paris

http://www.nintendo-master.com/news...ouable-au-grand-palais-le-14-et-le-15-janvier

I'm fairly certain if people asked like "Which games do you think will be playable at these events?", Splatoon would be on most of the lists.

I agree completely especially since it was in the switch reveal trailer.

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in for the discussion of the GameStop Germany post we shared. Before I posted, I went through the Reddit user's comment history to see what he had been up to and how long he was a member. I also read his replies to people asking him questions on the GameStop Germany thread before sharing.

Very shortly after posting on GN, I also added a RUMOR tag to the post. Followed up with a tweet to let people know. Not trying to disseminate false info or have people read stuff as fact when it's rumor right now. Sorry for any confusion.

As for us posting every bit of Nintendo news, I certainly have cut back in recent years. Well, I should say that I've been trying to, and hopefully some have noticed that. As for right now, the Switch excitement is hitting for all directions, so there are a few more fluff pieces than usual.

Either way, no anger or ill will towards any comments here. Just wanted everyone to know where I was coming from. Thanks to all that support the site, and if we aren't your thing and you don't visit, I completely understand.

Thanks, guys!

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in for the discussion of the GameStop Germany post we shared. Before I posted, I went through the Reddit user's comment history to see what he had been up to and how long he was a member. I also read his replies to people asking him questions on the GameStop Germany thread before sharing.

Very shortly after posting on GN, I also added a RUMOR tag to the post. Followed up with a tweet to let people know. Not trying to disseminate false info or have people read stuff as fact when it's rumor right now. Sorry for any confusion.

As for us posting every bit of Nintendo news, I certainly have cut back in recent years. Well, I should say that I've been trying to, and hopefully some have noticed that. As for right now, the Switch excitement is hitting for all directions, so there are a few more fluff pieces than usual.

Either way, no anger or ill will towards any comments here. Just wanted everyone to know where I was coming from. Thanks to all that support the site, and if we aren't your thing and you don't visit, I completely understand.

Thanks, guys!

Keep up the good work, RC.

I believe he is and so am I... Wii was a fad... no one cares about it anymore.. maybe Sean Malstrom, his followers and people that became a Nintendo fan after 2006.

I've been on this boat since the NES man, most my friends (the ones that still play video-games) will agree with me... the Wii was a huge mistake, it was Nintendo turning its back to the people that loved and supported it. It sold incredibly well, it surely did, but at an extremely high cost to the company's image, to the point where the WiiU (that is a fairly decent console with amazing games) sold almost anything.

There are elements of this that I'll never understand though. What makes a hardcore Nintendo fan? Presumably, it's a love of their franchises (The IPs themselves along with the way they play). You still got those with the Wii. Super Mario Galaxy is arguably the best Mario game. I don't personally like it, but a lot of people go to bat for Skyward Sword. What is it about the Wii that didn't deliver what Nintendo fans would have wanted?

Thanks, guys!
It's probably just me, but I actually dig that you guys post a lot of news, even if sometimes it's just a new JP 3DS theme. Iuno, I find it exciting.

oti

Banned

Give me a break.

You know how people called every piece of video game hardware a "Nintendo" back in the day? That's the Wii. I know kids who call their tablets Wii. Wii is what they grew up with, what they played with their parents, what is still under their living room television. If you didn't like the Wii, sure, hate it. But don't deny that it has shaped video games forever.

Waji

N64 belongs in that image, not the crappy wiggle wiggle aimed TV controller system crap. I don't know a single person that holds the Wii dearly. Do you know a single person that says "do you remember the Wii good old days?"?...

N64 changed the industry for good via it's games. Nothing was ever same... the only thing the Wii changed was Nintendo, and for the worse.
If I had to chose between N64, SNES, Gamecube... N64 would certainly be the last one on my list. I'd be interested to know what it did that's so important.

Cry me a river. The Wii was one of Nintendos best systems ever. Better than N64 and GC for sure. It did the job it was supposed to do.

AdanVC

Man how far we've come.

Remember these days?

nintendo_nx_fake.0.0.jpg

Lol that was so much craziness.

I would love to know what were Nintendo's thoughts when this thing appeared on every single gaming website and message boards. Did they were laughing, did they were worried? Or they just simply didn't gave a damn??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom