• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rösti;227949660 said:
Two things to remember from the SCD patent:

The second quote there I think would make an SCD quite an attractive device. At a good price I think it could enjoy really great sales. Maybe a power increase à la Nintendo 3DS to New Nintendo 3DS could be entertained without causing too many compatibility issues?

The second sounds like the whole "folding @ home" thing on PS3. The incentivization is interesting, but threading that needle sounds kind of crazy. Regardless though, I don't think it makes things any easier from a compatability perspective. As you said, you could potentially get away with it if it was a N3DS type deal, but at that point you're not seeing the benefit of plugging or unplugging an SCD. It's just a new/upgraded handheld system.

The remote play suggestion of the first post could get around the need for upgrading the handheld portion, but that seems to lose the "switch" aspect again as you'd need to be in wireless range.

pooh

Rösti;227949660 said:
Two things to remember from the SCD patent:

The second quote there I think would make an SCD quite an attractive device. At a good price I think it could enjoy really great sales. Maybe a power increase à la Nintendo 3DS to New Nintendo 3DS could be entertained without causing too many compatibility issues?

You have to scroll a bit. The video is a few months old.

I always thought the SCD concept sounded suspiciously similar to Nvidia GRID: http://www.nvidia.com/object/grid-technology.html

This makes me wonder if that was a factor in partnering with Nvidia.

kulapik

BTW, that ad was made by Nintendo Spain, but I guess that they didn't want to make it completely official since it was in english, plus the PR manager probably can't retweet himself, so he gave the pic to someone else to post it so he could retweet it on the Nintendo account.

https://twitter.com/VicJunquera/status/818529432080150528

"For those asking: I didn't make this, this picture was made and given by Nintendo Spain"

DonShula

Has there EVRE been an "internal use only" memo leak that turned out to be true?

I like the mental picture of Nintendo, in 2017, handing out color copies of printed materials for "internal memos." Like someone is walking around the office, handing out pieces of paper. Forget email. Forget internal collaboration sites. Nintendo hands out color copies of high level information and they're just laying around everywhere and visitors can discreetly snap pictures of them.

Poor Scalebound.

Thats like Zelda U being cancelled and just the Switch version existing. In a sense that some bought a Xbox just for Scalebound or the promise of Scalebound.

Not suggesting that Scalebound is Zelda huge.

GAMETA

Banned
Deny it as much as you want but the Wii changed how a lot of people think about video games. Older people and parents loved to play on it and it got a lot of fantastic software. Hell, Mario Galaxy was released on it. One of the greatest games of all time.
The games that released on the console together with the unique Wiimote will always be remebred from gamers all over the world. If you like it or not. ;)
And the SNES didnt build up any loyalty...everyone switched to the PSOne later on so your point is...pointless.

Tell me how many grampas and gramas will be buying the Switch. How many fathers and mothers will be swinging their arms carelessly with the joypad on their hands... I don't think many.

Yeah, the Wii had great games, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Zelda TP and SS (not my favorite), DKC Returns (the best game on the system, in my opinion), MK Wii and what more? Shovelware? Useless crap? "But but but the Wii Sports..." The Wii Sports is less a game than those old arcade crapy games on old shopping malls.

The SNES had ONLY Super Metroid, Zelda A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, the first Mario Kart, F-zero, DKC 1, DKC 2, DKC 3, Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, the best Mega-Mans, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy IV, Street Fighter 2, Super Castlevania and many many many more. And you're telling me the Wii was more important than the SNES?

The PS1 stole the whole thing due to the same reason the WiiU didn't sold. Nintendo was a fucking douche bag that thought it owned the world. The hit was hard but yet they learned their way and worked hard to deliver the N64. It had bad third party support but their games changed the whole industry again, they created the basis of what we call modern games.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that getting old ladies to aimless wiggle their virtual tennis rackets was a much bigger deal to this industry. Hell yeah!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Poor Scalebound.

Thats like Zelda U being cancelled and just the Switch version existing. In a sense that some bought a Xbox just for Scalebound or the promise of Scalebound.

Scalebound moved to Switch confirmed

Tell me how many grampas and gramas will be buying the Switch. How many fathers and mothers will be swinging their arms carelessly with the joypad on their hands... I don't think many.

Yeah, the Wii had great games, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Zelda TP and SS (not my favorite), DKC Returns (the best game on the system, in my opinion), MK Wii and what more? Shovelware? Useless crap? "But but but the Wii Sports..." The Wii Sports is less a game than those old arcade crapy games on old shopping malls.

The SNES had ONLY Super Metroid, Zelda A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, the first Mario Kart, F-zero, DKC 1, DKC 2, DKC 3, Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, the best Mega-Mans, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy IV, Street Fighter 2, Super Castlevania and many many many more. And you're telling me the Wii was more important than the SNES?

The PS1 stole the whole thing due to the same reason the WiiU didn't sold. Nintendo was a fucking douche bag that thought it owned the world. The hit was hard but yet they learned their way and worked hard to deliver the N64. It had bad third party support but their games changed the whole industry again, they created the basis of what we call modern games.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that getting old ladies to aimless wiggle their virtual tennis rackets was a much bigger deal to this industry. Hell yeah!

Lol, you sound like a frustrated kid. No need to answer you anymore.

Poor Scalebound.

I'm sure there are "some" people that bought an Xbox One for Scalebound, but that has to be a darn small number. Always disappointing to lose potentially good games though.

Platinum sure has had a weird track record lately... Korra, TMNT... I know that Bayo 2 was fantastic, but this has me worried about their future projects. Seems like they're spreading themselves too thin.

Poor Scalebound.

It makes me hope the rumors of a Switch exclusive are true. Platinum are independent, so they need to have constant games in development to stay afloat. Nier is likely going gold soon, so that would mean Granblue and Lost Order are the only two games they have announced to be in development.

Wii was so good that it made gaming a household thing. Everyone from babies to grandfathers played it.

That created the myth of "hardcore" gamers, who in truth are just a bunch of insecure whiny kids, never able to grow up. That kind of people wouldn't touch the Wii, because their parents/siblings played it.

Even now they shit on everything Nintendo, because they just cannot understand how it is better to have varied experiences and innovative hardware.

They are against anything that is fun and goofy, because that's not "cool" or "mature".

It is harder to make good comedy, and I will always pick up fun games instead of gloomy hate-filled misery like most of the modern "great" games (Witcher, GTA etc.).

I have limited amount of time and money and would rather forget all the shit that the world throws in my face every day.

Platinum sure has had a weird track record lately... Korra, TMNT... I know that Bayo 2 was fantastic, but this has me worried about their future projects. Seems like they're spreading themselves too thin.

To be fair, those games were made the same lesser C-team they seem to have, lead by Eiro Shirahama. Considering how those games turned out, I think, uh, someone needs a demotion.

Transformers Devastation on the other hand was directed by the guy who made Metal Gear Rising and it turned out pretty darn good, so.

Roo

Oh God just drop it already...

9Xnf2M0.gif

Moltenix

Poor Scalebound.

Pretty sure there's only a handful of people who bought an XB1 specifically for Scalebound.

Oregano

Scalebound being cancelled would mean Platinum being on the Switch partner list and being rumoured to have a far off exclusive suddenly makes a ton more sense.

Nintendo seems happy with the actual quality of their work so throwing some work their way probably isn't an issue. Especially if they're willing to take on an assisting role like with Star Fox.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

It wasn't big to the industry as evidenced by how different games are on the PS4 (which is dominating the market) compared to the Wii or Nintendo in general. But it was huge to their survival as it, and the DS, sold gangbusters after the GCN failure and N64 losing soundly to PS1 in sales.

The issue is after N64 and GCN Nintendo had just become irrelevant to industry trends. They tried to compete on power, and sold like shit. They had games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 4, Turok, Eternal Darkness etc. as exclusives/timed exclusives and still sold like shit.

That's just the bed they made from the failed partnership with Sony creating the monster brand they can't compete with, to sticking with carts for the N64 and alienating 3rd parties and lacking the FMV stuff that wowed people on PS1, to going with proprietary discs for GCN when DVDs where a huge boost to selling PS2s etc.

They had to do something different from there on as they had to accept that they'd lost the core gamer market to Sony, MS and the AAA third party publishers. They don't make the types of games to compete in that market, and they don't have the mindshare to launch consoles are $400-500 to compete in power. They've got to do their own thing and try to keep their base buying a ton of games and hopefully attract some casuals and nongamers who aren't already satisfied with the other options. The Wii and DS where huge success at this.

So sorry, Nintendo is never going to impact the mainstream industry in the ways you're talking about again. They just have little to no relevance in the genres, artstyles etc. that the mainstream prefer and aren't going to change. They'll do things there way and succeed or fail for better or worse.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Scalebound being cancelled would mean Platinum being on the Switch partner list and being rumoured to have a far off exclusive suddenly makes a ton more sense.

Nintendo seems happy with the actual quality of their work so throwing some work their way probably isn't an issue. Especially if they're willing to take on an assisting role like with Star Fox.

We don't know if Nintendo "is happy with their work". They definitely had a business arrangement last generation, but nothing lucrative came out of it.

Oregano

We don't know if Nintendo "is happy with their work". They definitely had a business arrangement last generation, but nothing lucrative came out of it.

They hired them to assist with Star Fox after Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2. If they weren't happy with the quality of their work I don't think that would have happened.

random25

They're probably happy enough to have them on board with 3 projects on the Wii U and have them as a software partner for the Switch.

Nintendo isn't really known for dropping a ton of cash for game development so maybe they aren't hurt as much when games don't sell that well.

jmizzal

If Scalebound is canceled I hope Kamiya can bring it over to Switch if MS doesnt own the IP

Or Kamiya has working on a Switch game

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo isn't really known for dropping a ton of cash for game development so maybe they aren't hurt as much when games don't sell that well.

Yep.

To me that's one unfortunate mistake in hindsight. Back when they were flush with cash from the Wii and DS breaking records they really should have been aggressive in buying up some developers.

Be it splurging on a major one that was struggling like Capcom or Konami to have those big IPs in their stable, or some more niche ones like Atlas, and/or buying several smaller ones (including some western ones).

That would have really helped round out their exclusives library. Bad for consumers as we all mostly hate exclusives, but for a company like Nintendo that struggles to get third party support that would have been a wise move to sure up the library for the future.

maxcriden

Hi all,

What's the consensus in here on the veracity of the Gamestop leak?

I haven't been able to keep up with that thread, is there any corroboration for the info in the OP?

Given Kimishima's comments about 2M units and being able to increase production if demand is larger, and given there will surely be some pre-orders available (?) unlike with NES Classic which had next to none, I was hoping there would be units available for those wishing to preorder.

Malakai

It wasn't big to the industry as evidenced by how different games are on the PS4 (which is dominating the market) compared to the Wii or Nintendo in general. But it was huge to their survival as it, and the DS, sold gangbusters after the GCN failure and N64 losing soundly to PS1 in sales.

The issue is after N64 and GCN Nintendo had just become irrelevant to industry trends. They tried to compete on power, and sold like shit. They had games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 4, Turok, Eternal Darkness etc. as exclusives/timed exclusives and still sold like shit.

That's just the bed they made from the failed partnership with Sony creating the monster brand they can't compete with, to sticking with carts for the N64 and alienating 3rd parties and lacking the FMV stuff that wowed people on PS1, to going with proprietary discs for GCN when DVDs where a huge boost to selling PS2s etc.

They had to do something different from there on as they had to accept that they'd lost the core gamer market to Sony, MS and the AAA third party publishers. They don't make the types of games to compete in that market, and they don't have the mindshare to launch consoles are $400-500 to compete in power. They've got to do their own thing and try to keep their base buying a ton of games and hopefully attract some casuals and nongamers who aren't already satisfied with the other options. The Wii and DS where huge success at this.

So sorry, Nintendo is never going to impact the mainstream industry in the ways you're talking about again. They just have little to no relevance in the genres, artstyles etc. that the mainstream prefer and aren't going to change. They'll do things there way and succeed or fail for better or worse.

That is a straight up lie. Golden Eye moved 8 million units. The rest sold at least a million if not more.

Say Scalebound is officaly Cancelled.

Should Nintendo save it? I don't feel it would've sold much, but it could boost Relationships with Platinum and Fans.

I Personally have no opinion on this matter, the game never looked intresting to me ,but what do you guys think? Save or not?

I just hope that the Bayonetta series is finished. The second game wasn't as good as the first, and Wonderful 101 spoiled me on how creative Platinum can be.

Bayo 3 AND Okami 2, I want it all now.

I'm glad I'm not alone in wanting Okami 2!

Hi all,

I haven't been able to keep up with that thread, is there any corroboration for the info in the OP?

Given Kimishima's comments about 2M units and being able to increase production if demand is larger, and given there will surely be some pre-orders available (?) unlike with NES Classic which had next to none, I was hoping there would be units available for those wishing to preorder.

I'd say that the info about Friday the 13th is definitely solid. A few different sources have stated as much. I've also seen multiple sources suggest that pre-orders on the 13th are "wave 1" and Gamestop will take names for a second round of orders. I think that falls in line with ramping up the 2m estimate if the demand is there.

As a note with no sources: I wouldn't be surprised if NES Classic/3DS shortages are due to Nintendo putting all available resources into Switch production.

Should Nintendo save it? I don't feel it would've sold much, but it could boost Relationships with Platinum and Fans.

I Personally have no opinion on this matter, the game never looked intresting to me ,but what do you guys think? Save or not?

I'm always up for the idea of saving games, but I'm not sure how that would work in this case. The stories that just came out suggest that they were having problems getting the game to run well. Not sure how they'd manage that on even weaker hardware. It seems like Scalebound just needs to take a rest.

Hi all,

Leak has me nervous so I'm heading down to Gamestop Friday morning and trying Amazon Thursday night if they open orders.

Peltz

Bruh...

Yado

No. They should spend their money on games people want.

Hieberrr

I'd like to see a high production value game on the Switch. Something on a similar level to FF7 Remake, KH3, God of War, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom