• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What indie characters do you want to see on Smash Bros for Switch?

I think Shovel Knight and Shantae are the only two with either the history and/or popularity on Nintendo systems to warrant consideration.

None.

In fact, I wish Smash was more exclusive. Too many third parties. Sonic is a third party regular on Nintendo consoles, so he makes sense. Pacman, too, to an extent. But Cloud, Snake, and all the other PS mainstays can hang out with their friends and fester on All-Stars Battle Royale 2 or whatever the name of the next Smash rip-off.
Yeah, I know, people having their favorite characters in games they enjoy really sucks.
I hope the next Forza game is nothing but Prius'. Because options suck.
Also, FF and MG were with Nintendo before Sony.

Toxi

Banned
If we're going by pure impact on the industry, basically nobody measures up to Steve from Minecraft.

Though I guess Minecraft no longer counts as indie.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'll go with Commander Video (from the Bit.Trip series, which first appeared on WiiWare) and Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes, from Suda51's twisted mind; don't think it qualifies as indie, but I'd love to see him anyway).

wUQEqG6.png

Forgot about Cave Story, that would be a good addition too.

kunonabi

Who?

*googles*

Okay, a dating sim protagonist is definitely not what I expected. Could be a really funny character.

Yep, represents a whole new genre and pays tribute to keiko erikawa too. We'll probably just get stuck with Kasumi though if tecmo ever gets a rep.

Jawmuncher

I play smash bros to play as Nintendo characters. Big name 3rd parties are cool, but I think we have enough at this point.

Unless snake comes back it's never enough

If staying power and legacy were all that mattered, Bayonetta wouldn't even be close to Smash.

If we're going by pure impact on the industry, basically nobody measures up to Steve from Minecraft.

Though I guess Minecraft no longer counts as indie.

LOL damn, going for that double brutal truth

Toxi

Banned
Yep, represents a whole new genre and pays tribute to keiko erikawa too. We'll probably just get stuck with Kasumi though if tecmo ever gets a rep.
Kasumi is meh as fuck. If it has to be someone predictable, let it be Ryu Hyabusa.

But I'll take Angelique over both of them.

Kyzon

I'd like Juan as a true grappler. He'd be pretty rad.

Also, he's not indie, but Dillon feels like it and i want him

kunonabi

Kasumi is meh as fuck. If it has to be someone predictable, let it be Ryu Hyabusa.

But I'll take Angelique over both of them.

Ryu i could tolerate if he's classic. Other than Angelique a Deception character would be interesting from a gameplay perspective.

The Drifter would be cool in a lot of games.

Same with Shantae, Shovel Knight, Sans

Now that goddamn Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta are in, none of these indie characters being mentioned would surprise me

EhoaVash

The green arrow Pokemon from sun and moon to replace fucking Lucario.

Nintendo x Ubisoft relationship continues to be super strong so I wouldn't be surprised if one Ubisofness character gets in. I hope it's Rayman and not a rabbids.

Shovel Knight does have a chance now that the game was published by Nintendo in Japan.

All the big Japanese companies have a rep in smash beside tecmo koei. If ninja gaiden was still popular ryu Hayabusa from ninja gaiden might still had a chance.

Anyway inkling girl, spring man, captain toad, what ever the fuck next Fire emblem's MC is are basically all confirmed at this point.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I play smash bros to play as Nintendo characters. Big name 3rd parties are cool, but I think we have enough at this point.
It's not like Nintendo is forcing you to pick a non-Nintendo character. You'll always have Samus and Fox and Wario available if you want to play as them, so what's the problem in having more third party fighters? I wanna see Phoenix Wright there (I know he appeared on Marvel vs Capcom, but I'm not a fan of traditional fighting games) just as much as some characters from the Paper Mario series (like Rawk Hawk, Dimentio or O'Chunks).

Nintendo x Ubisoft relationship continues to be super strong so I wouldn't be surprised if one Ubisofness character gets in. I hope it's Rayman and not a rabbids.

Shovel Knight does have a chance now that the game was published by Nintendo in Japan.

All the big Japanese companies have a rep in smash beside tecmo koei. If ninja gaiden was still popular ryu Hayabusa from ninja gaiden might still had a chance.

Anyway inkling girl, spring man, captain toad, what ever the fuck next Fire emblem's MC is are basically all confirmed at this point.
From Ubisoft I think it should be either Rayman or the Prince from Prince of Persia, although I wouldn't be opposed to a Rabbid in Smash.

If staying power and legacy were all that mattered, Bayonetta wouldn't even be close to Smash.

You're right. Bayo doesn't matter at all in those regards. Hence why the only way she got in was via a ballot where those otherwise solid rules were thrown aside.

Toxi

Banned
You're right. Bayo doesn't matter at all in those regards. Hence why the only way she got in was via a ballot where those otherwise solid rules were thrown aside.
They're not "otherwise solid rules", LOL.

First it was "Just Nintendo characters." Then with Snake it was "Third party characters had to be icons with a significant history on Nintendo consoles." Then with Cloud it was "Third party characters had to be icons, significant history on Nintendo consoles is optional." Then with Bayonetta was "Third party characters can also get in if they're really popular with Smash fans."

And it's not just third party characters. Melee had a character who was literally an advertisement for an upcoming game, and invented another character entirely to represent the Game and Watch units. What solid rules do those fit under? None, because there are no rules beyond "Who the designers decided to put in the game."

EhoaVash

From Ubisoft I think it should be either Rayman or the Prince from Prince of Persia, although I wouldn't be opposed to a Rabbid in Smash.

PoP is dead and honestly doesn't really have a iconic main character from the series. Sure sands of time was popular back then but it's been a long time since anyone can remember him also having rabbids inplace instead of Rayman is a disgrace. That's like having a goomba instead of Mario in smash.

Orb

If anything it'd be Incineroar to replace Lucario I'd think, since he seems to be getting the bigger push(i think?)

Though Lucario is never leaving and I'm glad. Love getting them 200~% Aura Spheres :)

EhoaVash

If anything it'd be Incineroar to replace Lucario I'd think, since he seems to be getting the bigger push(i think?)

Though Lucario is never leaving and I'm glad. Love getting them 200~% Aura Spheres :)

Nah green arrow Pokemon is way more popular. See it being the only new gen pokemon in pokken deluxe switch.

Fuck Lucario

Also why are people wanting beck? And yokai laylee both games crashed and burned. No way are those characters ever redeamble

Also shit I forgot Dixie Kong is so gonna be in smash 5.

Toxi

Banned
Versus a half-dozen Fire Emblem characters, or Dark Pit, or Ice Climbers? Or some random ass Pokemon?
The half dozen Fire Emblem characters is just fucking weird when you actually look at the 3DS game sales. Yeah, they were successful, but successful here was almost reaching 2 million sales per game, on the same system where Animal Crossing New Leaf cleared 10 million and Tomodachi Life and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon cleared 5 million.

Crayolan

It's not like Nintendo is forcing you to pick a non-Nintendo character. You'll always have Samus and Fox and Wario available if you want to play as them, so what's the problem in having more third party fighters? I wanna see Phoenix Wright there (I know he appeared on Marvel vs Capcom, but I'm not a fan of traditional fighting games) just as much as some characters from the Paper Mario series (like Rawk Hawk, Dimentio or O'Chunks).

I don't hate that the 3rd party reps exist or anything, in fact I love some of them like Megaman, but in general I'd rather the devs put their time into making new Nintendo characters playable than new 3rd party characters.

They're not "otherwise solid rules", LOL.

First it was "Just Nintendo characters." Then with Snake it was "Third party characters had to be icons with a significant history on Nintendo consoles." Then with Cloud it was "Third party characters had to be icons, significant history on Nintendo consoles is optional." Then with Bayonetta was "Third party characters can also get in if they're really popular with Smash fans."

And it's not just third party characters. Melee had a character who was literally an advertisement for an upcoming game, and invented another character entirely to represent the Game and Watch units. What solid rules do those fit under? None, because there are no rules beyond "Who the designers decided to put in the game."

Isn't the rule just "What Sakurai want" and "What Nintendo want/allowed"? People can say they want what characters to join smash. But eventually Nintendo wont agree unless they're characters Nintendo want to promote or characters Sakurai convinced Nintendo that can help marketing Smash as a franchise. That's the reason why Bayo need the ballot to join and why it's unlikely for indie characters to join.

Toxi

Banned
Isn't the rule just "What Sakurai want" and "What Nintendo want/allowed"? People can say they want what characters to join smash. But eventually Nintendo wont agree unless they're characters Nintendo want to promote or characters Sakurai convinced Nintendo that can help marketing Smash as a franchise. That's the reason why Bayo need the ballot to join and why it's unlikely for indie characters to join.
I think it's mostly what Sakurai wants, considering Snake was advertising a PS3 game in Brawl.

EhoaVash

People wanting All these indie characters make me furious make me anger with boil with rage

Why can't yall be like Woody and understand that your indie characters won't ever be part of Andy's I mean Sakura's toy box

J-Tier

I mainly don't want indie characters in smash because that would guarantee them never showing up in upcoming and future indie crossover fighters.

hiryu64

If you're looking for exactly one "indie game representative," I think you'd have to look at all characters within the indie game sphere that have the most notoriety and/or influence dating back over the past several years, how well their popularity has held up over time, stability of the properties, commercial viability, etc.

There have been a ton of beloved indie games and characters over the past few generations, but really, I think Shantae and Shovel Knight are far and away the top two picks. I'm not necessarily arguing that they're the most popular indie properties ever (Braid, Undertale, and Fez say hello), but from a holistic standpoint, they're probably two of the largest and most well-developed/established indie properties that are strongly linked to Nintendo. Shantae's actually one of the longest-running indie properties, period. Speaking of Shantae, several posters have already made the case for her, given her tight history with Nintendo platforms, as well as WayForward's dedication to Nintendo's platforms since the days of the GameBoy Color. Given that, I'd say she's probably the best Nintendo-centric indie representative overall.

However, in terms of actual real-world feasibility, I'd have to give Shovel Knight the edge, if only because there's an actual commercial link between YCG and Nintendo, as Nintendo published Shovel Knight in Japan. Also as has been mentioned, Shantae doesn't really have a presence in Japan where, as I just said, Shovel Knight was literally published by Nintendo in Japan. Mind you, I personally don't have any sort of pulse on the indie scene in Japan, so I couldn't tell you how popular either of these two are. But from an overall standpoint, I personally think Shantae makes the most sense, but Shovel Knight appears to be the most likely and viable indie rep for a future Smash game.

Some have mentioned Steve from Minecraft. Unfortunately, he's no longer indie. Nintendo would have to talk with Microsoft to get him in.

Toxi

Banned
We also need some Wonderful 101 love, for sure. Would be a perfect fit!

f679f098a5b1b67238d7794f8890bca2.jpg
Question as someone who hasn't played the game: How the hell would you make a moveset that reflects the whole "Using dozens of people as a living weapon" aspect?

Not rhetorical, I honestly would really like to know how Wonder Red would play.

I would want Lilac but Freedom Planet does not have much connections with nintendo outside of Freedom Planet and Runbow.

Shantae started on gameboy and would be a cool somewhat retro character.

ffdgh

Question as someone who hasn't played the game: How the hell would you make a moveset that reflects the whole "Using dozens of people as a living weapon" aspect?

Not rhetorical, I honestly would really like to know how Wonder Red would play.
They'll think of something. Many characters have improvised movesets already lol.

Toxi

Banned
They'll think of something. Many characters have improvised movesets already lol.
I know, but I'm trying to think of how they would adapt the Wonderful 101 more faithfully than what they did with Fox and Captain Falcon.

Nah green arrow Pokemon is way more popular. See it being the only new gen pokemon in pokken deluxe switch.

Fuck Lucario

Also why are people wanting beck? And yokai laylee both games crashed and burned. No way are those characters ever redeamble

Also shit I forgot Dixie Kong is so gonna be in smash 5.

I ain't letting you sit here and shit talk Yooka Laylee by daring to put it in the same level as the piece of shit mighty number 9.

Top Bottom