• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What indie characters do you want to see on Smash Bros for Switch?

BDGAME

I hope Nintendo don't launch a mere port for Nintendo Switch, but I whole new game with new cast of characters. And, for the first time, Nintendo acknowledged the importance of indies for their machines, bringing at least one indie character for that game.

The most popular indie character right now is from Shovelknight:

tumblr_inline_nxv76bcr9e1qldhit_540.jpg

But, I prefer they put Shantae on it:
shantae_smashified_by_hextupleyoodot-d8xf3wp.png

Shantae have lots cool moves that can fit perfectly on Smash Bros. She is perfect for that game.

I'd be happy with Yooka-Laylee. Regardless of how anyone thinks the game turned out they're neat characters, and I think they fit in Smash Bros more naturally than someone like Bayonetta.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Well shit, you covered the two picks I had in mind.

Hmm. Let me think this over...

Fake Edit: Got it, give me either Gunman Clive or one of the characters from Freedom Planet.

Real Edit: Ooh, ooh, Captain Video!

Nesther

Shovel Knight would be a fun addition. Yooka-Laylee as a replacement for Banjo, as that is never happening.

Berordn

I don't particularly want any, but if there was going to be one Shovel Knight seems the smart pick.

But honestly I want Jimmy T. above all else.

Keinning

Ain't some indie smash bros project being developed right now?

If i had the power to decide, none. Smash fees better with just nintendo characters, its weird enough seeing stuff like Ryu and Snake in there

jwk94

I hope Nintendo don't launch a mere port for Nintendo Switch, but I whole new game with new cast of characters. And, for the first time, Nintendo acknowledged the importance of indies for their machines, bringing at least one indie character for that game.

The most popular indie character right now is from Shovelknight:

http://68.media.tumblr.com/1d52e7733d24770ac6f3d948ea83963f/tumblr_inline_nxv76bcr9e1qldhit_540.jpg[img]

But, I prefer they put Shantae on it:
[img]http://img08.deviantart.net/ec8a/i/2015/166/2/5/shantae_smashified_by_hextupleyoodot-d8xf3wp.png[img]

Shantae have lots cool moves that can fit perfectly on Smash Bros. She is perfect for that game.[/QUOTE]

You basically nailed it on the head. Shantae especially.

Toxi

Banned
I don't want any filthy indie characters in my game about Nintendo all-stars like Dark Pit and Cloud.

Shovel Knight all the way.

I really dislike the Shantae design and her games

Yooka Laylee don't deserve to be in a Nintendo game

Id like Shovel Knight though!

Giga Man

I don't particularly want any, but Shovel Knight and Shantae would be cool to see.

I really want an Indie Fighter made by Dan Fornace or someone who truly understand Smash's gameplay that won't just copy moves from Smash Bros.

Weebos

Banned
There aren't any that I would be happy to see in Smash.

There are a few that I would find acceptable, but really I don't care for any of the options.

Shovel Knight is a must for me. He would be so fun to play as, and his stages and music would be incredible in Smash. A great bonus would be to include Plague Knight or Sceptre Knight so he has a villain to fight.

OwlBoy would be awesome too.

Shantae could be good as a character too, but the games themselves have never been exceptional.

TDLink

Shovel Knight or Shantae are about the only ones I'd be alright with. There are no others that are both still popular and have that kind of history with Nintendo specifically.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Shovel Knight or Shantae are about the only ones I'd be alright with. There are no others that are both still popular and have that kind of history with Nintendo specifically.

Same here. You could argue that Cloud has zero relation with Nintendo, but as the representative of a series that started with Nintendo I'll give him a pass.

- Shovel Knight has to happen. I mean, I already have the amiibo and everything.

- Shantae would be amazing if she can dance / transform.

- I would love Spelunky's, er, spelunker, simply because I adore Spelunky, but I also think he could have a pretty interesting moveset, with basic whip moves and tons of gadgets for his smashes and specials. Probably not going to happen, though...

- Gungeoneer from Enter the Gungeon? Could work as a projectile-based character like Megaman, so many guns to choose from...

As much as Shantae would be a good fit, I got really sick of their open begging and campaigning for Smash 4. Crossed over well into obnoxious.

At least we know Sakurai's full of it if he tries that "no one else asked" comment again. That was such bunk the first time.

Dynheart

Banned
Shovel Knight, as I think he would be the only one, IMO, that would not feel like the odd-character out. As a matter of fact, Shovel Knight doesn't feel indie at all. The character, and game, was a home run.

Shovel Knight is the obvious choice and would fit in perfectly. CommanderVideo comes in as a close second.

In my dreams Undyne from UNDERTALE would turn up alongside a Switch announcement for a port, but that's obviously rather less likely. Y'alls saying "none" are really boring.

I don't want any filthy indie characters in my game about Nintendo all-stars like Dark Pit and Cloud.

Shovel Knight all the way.

With all due respect, people that say "well uh they already put characters like robin and dark pit in the game!" always get under my skin. Those characters are just simply ordinary Nintendo characters, which Smash is primarily about.

In that sense, including non-Nintendo characters should be a big deal. Shovel Knight and other indies shouldn't be compared to characters like Lucina or Palutena, they should be compared to the other third parties on the roster, like Sonic, Pac-Man and Ryu, who all completely trounce them in terms of fame or legacy. People also like to say "well it's more fitting than Cloud!" but regardless of his association with Nintendo or whatever the hell, he's one of gaming's most iconic characters and can still easily stand along side those other guys I just mentioned. Shovel Knight? Not so much. Sakurai has said in the past that he's not just gonna let anyone participate in Smash.

Bayonetta is kind of a special case because she was the winner of the Smash ballot. Maybe if they do another one for the next Smash game and Shovel Knight or Shantae manage to win it all, they could get in, I guess.

Top Bottom