• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo TS?!? (guess who was bored last night?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Nintex] said:
Behold it's competitor!!

I made this 3 years ago, just when the DS was announced.
diamond.jpg

Hey! Nice. :)

Coincidentally very similar to this one I made in November 2005:

http://nick.onetwenty.org/index.php/2005/11/21/revolution_inspired_ds_redesign/

I got heaps of interest from a Japanese website for that one. :)

- Nick

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I would just like to point out to everybody posting complicated multi directional hinges and such, that nintendo likes to market products to everybody. This includes children. I'm surprised the DSL got aproved because it's the flimsiest of the handhelds yet. I honestly doubt they'd ever make something so easily broken as one of those hinges that allow for 360 movement.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yours is pretty cool, but it's just...missing something his has.

Spiky bits! :D

I uploaded to TinyPic so people can see it inline here:

5x8j9xv.jpg

This was never made with any serious intentions. When I first blogged it I noted:

"I’m fairly confident that this isn’t a plausible design for the next DS, but I think it looks pretty cool."

Just another upload to TinyPic (so people can see images inline):

66l13z5.jpg

I figured that there would be heaps of touch-screen and microphone only games, and wanted a version of the DS that hid the other controls.

DrGAKMAN said:
Here's a .gif of my concept made to look more "real"...

WiiDSreal.gif
For some reason the image is not coming up. Are you sure you can image link it?

Anyways, I think we should keep this thread going with more designs and mock ups! Keep it up people! :D

gamefreedom said:

I figured that there would be heaps of touch-screen and microphone only games, and wanted a version of the DS that hid the other controls.

AH, I'll buy it at a high price!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
hmm, impressive design, though i think it would be best to have a mechanism that after you twisted it "open," you would be able to slide it up and lock it into place. it would make DS FPSs like hunter easier to deal with if you have a thumb slip stylis, not to mention make reaching for the screen in other games less of a strain as well. also, i think it would be an ok idea to get a little bit of a retractable analog stick in there instead, though that may make some DS games a bigger pain than they ought to be (though would be great for others...)

I'm not sure if this is an improvement, but it does address the horizontal mode gameplay issue with the buttons and D-pad. Anyways, I think I'm done for a while. ;)

Nintendo_TSa.jpg

Nintendo_TS_DSBC.jpg

Jaagen

My take(quick Illustrator job):

ds_2.jpg

This concept is like the iPhone, multitouch only. This means that all the buttons(except R, L, Start, Select and home) is "virtual". The machine contais some kind of rumble, that gives you a feedback when you press something on screen. In DS(phat, lite) mode, the DS games will be displayed in their native resolution, and the rest of the screen space will be used for virtual buttons. The machine is about the same size as the DS lite.

Thigs I forgot to add: Mic, placed on the same place as the DS lite. It also has 1GB of flash memory on board, as well as a SD card slot.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jaagen said:

ds_2.jpg

This concept is like the iPhone, multitouch only. This means that all the buttons(except R, L, Start, Select and home) is "virtual". The machine contais some kind of rumble, that gives you a feedback when you press something on screen. In DS(phat, lite) mode, the DS games will be displayed in their native resolution, and the rest of the screen space will be used for virtual buttons. The machine is about the same size as the DS lite.

Thigs I forgot to add: Mic, placed on the same place as the DS lite. It also has 1GB of flash memory on board, as well as a SD card slot.

Winner. Very elegant and somewhat controversial, so probably something Nintendo would do.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Shog...
It's still a uninforced T-flip design though, not durrable. The screen is still not protected. I thought of having 2 sets of digital controls, but I think Nintendo would rather hold back on doing such a thing...plus it takes some of the "elegance" of having an exposed screen face 'cos there's more "stuff" there.

Jaagen & Chittagong...
This concept has been kicked around before and while it looks simple/nice players NEED tactile buttons...especially since VC & Virtual GameBoy/Handheld games are most likely in the planning for Nintendo's next portable, not to mention port-ups from other systems.

i1192_WiiDSreal2.gif

Here's another version of my WiiDS concept.

Tobor

DrGAKMAN said:
Shog...
It's still a uninforced T-flip design though, not durrable. The screen is still not protected. I thought of having 2 sets of digital controls, but I think Nintendo would rather hold back on doing such a thing...plus it takes some of the "elegance" of having an exposed screen face 'cos there's more "stuff" there.

Jaagen & Chittagong...
This concept has been kicked around before and while it looks simple/nice players NEED tactile buttons...especially since VC & Virtual GameBoy/Handheld games are most likely in the planning for Nintendo's next portable, not to mention port-ups from other systems.

i1192_WiiDSreal2.gif

Here's another version of my WiiDS concept.

Gakman, it's just wrong. It's too narrow to hold correctly, and you need to think Apple with the design. Study some Jonathan Ives designs, it's clear Nintendo is.

And we've discussed this before, but they are not going to do a hand held Wii. It utterly defeats the point and cuts off a revenue stream unneccessarily.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Tobor said:
Gakman, it's just wrong. It's too narrow to hold correctly, and you need to think Apple with the design. Study some Jonathan Ives designs, it's clear Nintendo is.

And we've discussed this before, but they are not going to do a hand held Wii. It utterly defeats the point and cuts off a revenue stream unneccessarily.

Thanks for (not) reading my other posts explaining it and (not) following my train of thought.

First off...I don't really have a program that can render my vision properly so you have to use your imagination a lil' when you look at my bitmaps/cut'n'pastes. My design would look A LOT nicer looking if someone with some skill/graphics program could do it.

Too narrow to hold correctly? Not horizontally...and vertically I already explained in a previous post how there's an ergonomic bulge so you can grip it properly. It looks a lil' tight/cramped, but in a day'n'age of celphone/blackberry/treo texting I think people can handle something like this since it's got more width/bulk to it in that respect. For the most part, future games will be played with a stylus anyways...and I made an option for those who want more traditional controls in widescreen mode via the Wii EXP Port. Here, lemme re-post:

The LCD is on a pivoting hinge so it can be "closed" for clamshell like protection. When closed there's a smaller status screen that tells you whether there's an incoming "Wii Mail", you're charging (and how full the battery is), playing audio media or if you're in standby/pause/sleep durring games. When you open the screen you can access the large battery if need be.

When you flip the LCD for playback the system can be held vertically or horrizontally. Due to the well placed D-PAD you have access to it in either variation with your left thumb. There is also a vertical & horizontal L Button, also for easy access. The right hand is for using the stylus (in either vertical or horizontal form) or for the traditional face buttons in vertical form. Vertical form may look to be cramped or top-heavy, but the unit's heavier components (swivel hinge, battery & rumble) are located in your hand(s) and there's more of an ergonomic bulge towards the bottom for easier gripping.

To answer those who want analog control and/or traditional control (for playing VC downloads) in the wider horizontal mode, there is a Wii EXP port on the bottom of the unit to plug the Nunchuck, Classic controller or even other Wii peripherals!

Naming it "WiiDS" doesn't mean it forever replaces the Wii or plays Wii's library, nor does it mean it controls like Wii...I'm not a moron. It is, however, menu & user interface-wise like the Wii and it's visuals should be on par with Wii in portable form in that resolution...it's not like the Wii is some kind of powerhouse monster!

Jaagen

DrGAKMAN said:
Jaagen & Chittagong...

I know it's an issue, but my idea is that there will be some kind of output that gives you a concrete feel when you press the virtual button. I will explain my idea tomorrow, because it's getting late over here, and I'm soon going to bed.

Tobor

DrGAKMAN said:
Thanks for (not) reading my other posts explaining it and (not) following my train of thought.

First off...I don't really have a program that can render my vision properly so you have to use your imagination a lil' when you look at my bitmaps/cut'n'pastes. My design would look A LOT nicer looking if someone with some skill/graphics program could do it.

Too narrow to hold correctly? Not horizontally...and vertically I already explained in a previous post how there's an ergonomic bulge so you can grip it properly. It looks a lil' tight/cramped, but in a day'n'age of celphone/blackberry/treo texting I think people can handle something like this since it's got more width/bulk to it in that respect. For the most part, future games will be played with a stylus anyways...and I made an option for those who want more traditional controls in widescreen mode via the Wii EXP Port. Here, lemme re-post:

Naming it "WiiDS" doesn't mean it forever replaces the Wii or plays Wii's library, nor does it mean it controls like Wii...I'm not a moron. It is, however, menu & user interface-wise like the Wii and it's visuals should be on par with Wii in portable form in that resolution...it's not like the Wii is some kind of powerhouse monster!

There is a huge difference between texting on a narrow keyboard and playing a game. It just doesn't look comfortable to me at all, even with the bulge.

The key to any future Nintendo handheld is going to be simplicity. Jaagen's design is a possibility, since it doesn't get any simpler than that.

bmf said:
You guys got me all excited, and I drew something.

Please excuse the crudity of this model, it's not to scale or painted.

EDIT: No, they're not nipples. They're some sort of analog sticks.

That's a bit flimsy...having one hinge would make it really easy to break.

elostyle said:
I'd buy it. Though an always exposed screen may not be that good an idea.

iPhone says what's up. As long as something like this was made with the kind of glass on the iPhone, it'd be fine. That thing is un-scratchable.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Jaagen said:

ds_2.jpg

That's what we thought the Wii controller was going to be like before it was revealed (all touch screen and it changed based on what game you played, so any game could have its own control scheme, and when you played NES or SNES games you would get the corresponding buttons). But yeah it would be pretty complex.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Shogmaster, I definately don't like the way you've changed the design now. It looked better before. You're justification for minimalism made sense, too. The added buttons and joystick just take away from the iPhone-esque look.

Pharmacy

Banned
Could someone do one that has a T-Mobile Sidekick style spring loaded screen? Also make it a touchscreen phone. Also racing stripes.

segasonic said:

The problem with Metroid Prime is, you need to use the touch screen to do the looking. With one wide touch screen, you'd be constantly blocking what you are looking at. So really, it would never work right with a single wide screen mode anyways. It's a game series that would only work in the vertical mode.

Death_Born said:
I made a few modifications to your design to make it work both up and down. I didn't add the start+select buttons though.
http://i9.tinypic.com/6h7w014

I actually thought about that yesterday and did this sketch:

Nintendo_TSswivel.jpg

But I didn't like the way that it forced the screen to body ratio to be rather small. I want the screen to be maximized in size to the overall body mass.

And personally, I don't like the D-pad and face buttons showing all the time. It makes it look too "Hey I'm a game machine!". I rather like the fact that the closed mode in my original looks like an upper scale PMP. That's why I wasn't so hot on my latest modification when I posted it....

Sapapayo said:
Why not just something like this if you need to use the buttons in TS format ?

http://i13.tinypic.com/6bu0e0x.jpg

This is my Industrial Design training hampering suspension of disbelief but that mechanism just won't cut the mustard in a real world device. There are just too many problems: flexing on the case, pull out mechanisms like that just never work out working out the layout, durability and reliability, especially for such a low cost device.

It's a design solution that only really "seems to" works in 2D on paper. In the physical realm, you run into a world of problems.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Shogmaster, I definately don't like the way you've changed the design now. It looked better before. You're justification for minimalism made sense, too. The added buttons and joystick just take away from the iPhone-esque look.

I agree with you. That's why I never changed the one in the OP to that one. I just did it to appease the crowd that wanted the traditional controls in the horizontal mode.

argon

Hey Shog,

Have you considered that Nintendo's next portable could include Immersion's TouchSense technology? It allows for various forms of tactile feedback on a touch screen, like replicating an up/down button click, levers, switches, etc.. I think it could have some interesting gameplay implications.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
StrikerObi said:
iPhone says what's up. As long as something like this was made with the kind of glass on the iPhone, it'd be fine. That thing is un-scratchable.

Ya know, I've thought long & hard about this...is it really that resiliant. Even if it isn't/wasn't that good most people do buy cases for their portables anyways...so maybe screen protection isn't all that necessay. I'm even working on a new design with this in mind and it comes with a simple slide plate that covers the screen when your stow it away and then you can flip and slide it against the back of the unit when you are playing.

Jaagen said:
I know it's an issue, but my idea is that there will be some kind of output that gives you a concrete feel when you press the virtual button. I will explain my idea tomorrow, because it's getting late over here, and I'm soon going to bed.

Back durring the "Revolution" speculation I had the idea for a touch interface inwhere a touchscreen layed on top of a well constructed grid of button nodes that give tactile feeling when your thumb pressed into the the screen like a button. I debated with myself on how this would work since you literally don't feel a button on the screen 'cos it's actually under it, I even thought of putting paterned textures on the surface of the screen so your thumb could "feel" around where they may be before pressing. I eventually let go of that train of thought though...but I'm thinking of it again...

I'm going back to the drawing board with my design. My new one won't have a clamshell design, nor any hinging system at all. It's screen will be "exposed" like the iPhone so I guess people will like it's "elegance" and simplicity. Also, to make it even simpler, digital buttons will be gone and replaced by my "buttons under the screen" nodes system...it will allow for the feeling of pressing a button at certain points on the screen, and combined with the pixel-perfect multi-touch LCD, it can even allow for pressure sensitive analog dirrectional control. While a stylus would be suggested for a lot of games, this tactile screen is made for traditional thumbplay. Overall, the unit will look plain without digital buttons, but smooth & simple too. The screen will also be a 480x270 (16x9 EDTV resolution) allowing for a multitude of experiences I'll talk about later.

argon said:
Hey Shog,

Have you considered that Nintendo's next portable could include Immersion's TouchSense technology? It allows for various forms of tactile feedback on a touch screen, like replicating an up/down button click, levers, switches, etc.. I think it could have some interesting gameplay implications.

That seems pretty dang cool. I wonder it's doable in portable form factor.

OK, one last one. For realz. I'm done!

Nintendo_TSb.jpg

Nintendo_TS_DSBCb.jpg

DrGAKMAN

Banned
argon said:
Hey Shog,

Dammit, beat me to it.

Although, I think my method of giving tactile feedback (button press, depress) is different 'cos for all of Immersion's words on their website they really don't talk about how it works...I'd imagine thru sound/vibration through the screen before/durring/after an on-screen press which is more advanced than what I'm suggesting...my idea is more about allowing the player to physically press the screen against a grid of nodes that lays underneither it and registers it like a button press. Nodes would be placed at each corner and "spring" back in place once the player raises/releases his thumb for that button-like depress feeling. Dependent upon which node or nodes get pressed, different button "presses" can be acheived allowing for pressure sensitive and analog dirrectional control (when data is uses in tandem with the touch screen accuracy).

beat

Shogmaster said:
Cute, but the DS mode's screens are too small.

For my money, you nailed the twist concept the first time. (and Nick too.)

Jaagen

DrGAKMAN said:
Back durring the "Revolution" speculation I had the idea for a touch interface inwhere a touchscreen layed on top of a well constructed grid of button nodes that give tactile feeling when your thumb pressed into the the screen like a button. I debated with myself on how this would work since you literally don't feel a button on the screen 'cos it's actually under it, I even thought of putting paterned textures on the surface of the screen so your thumb could "feel" around where they may be before pressing. I eventually let go of that train of thought though...but I'm thinking of it again...

That's actually pretty much the same as I had in mind. My idea was a grid of cellphone like rumble motors(they're flat, aren't they) The screen registered where on screen you pressed, and the rumble tiles around the pressed area vibrated to give you a feedback.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Shogmaster said:
That seems pretty dang cool. I wonder it's doable in portable form factor.

Nintendo_TSb.jpg

Nintendo_TS_DSBCb.jpg

You didn't know about Immersions touchsense control?

Oh yes, and I played around with the spinning circle thing as well and I knew that if you'd fool with it you'd come to the idea of squeezing the D-PAD/Buttons up & in. I put my speakers near there too and not on the swivelling part of the screen...I also got rid of the rounding sides of the screen (making less overhang when it's twisted into vertical possition), made it bigger (so it covers more of the face surface for the "elegant" appeal people seem to like) BUT, ultimatly gave up on it 'cos any way you slice it's too much unit & not enough screen and I thought about what you said before about not having the buttons always visable and I'm starting to agree.

My approach now is asthetically simpler (like Jaagen's) and more technically complex (like Immersion's touchsense) to allow the screen to be more tactile so that we can move more towards touch-screen based play and away from cluttery old digital buttons.

DrGAKMAN said:
You didn't know about Immersions touchsense control?

Nope. Didn't sign up for Immersion press release. ;) I knew of those touch screens, but had no idea it was immersion.

Oh yes, and I played around with the spinning circle thing as well and I knew that if you'd fool with it you'd come to the idea of squeezing the D-PAD/Buttons up & in. I put my speakers near there too and not on the swivelling part of the screen...

Actually, the speaker is on the bottom part. The swiveling part just has holes for the sound to pass through in horizontal mode.

I also got rid of the rounding sides of the screen (making less overhang when it's twisted into vertical possition),

I nixed that idea because I didn't want big cavities on the face all the time. Just seems unrefined that way.

made it bigger (so it covers more of the face surface for the "elegant" appeal people seem to like) BUT, ultimatly gave up on it 'cos any way you slice it's too much unit & not enough screen and I thought about what you said before about not having the buttons always visable and I'm starting to agree.

Yeah. I'm not sure what to make of this version either. As you can notice, the screen size for this version shrank to 3.5". Pretty soon, I'm not gonna have a screen left! :lol

I do love the clean face of the first version. I'm not quite sure what gameplay implications it brings in horizontal mode, as far as appealing to the hardcore crowd....

My approach now is asthetically simpler (like Jaagen's) and more technically complex (like Immersion's touchsense) to allow the screen to be more tactile so that we can move more towards touch-screen based play and away from cluttery old digital buttons.

I'm not still sure if the immersion's tech is portable friendly. You'd think they would have done it in some fashion by now. I've only seen those large desktop implementations.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Jaagen said:
That's actually pretty much the same as I had in kind. My idea was a grid of cellphone like rumble motors(they're flat, aren't they) The screen registered where on screen you pressed, and the rumble tiles around the pressed area vibrated to give you a feedback.

Rumble = vibration = power draining. The benifits of it are being able to "feel" the vibration from the virtual on-screen button before you decide to press into & use it. However, with a portable, I don't think you really need the "feel before you press" 'cos you're looking at the damn screen where the virtual on-screen button is...so it'd be redundant. Also, in games that required this type of control, it'd be power draining and distracting from if there was (non-tactile) rumble in said game.

My method doesn't let you "feel before you press", but it also doesn't require power and it get's the job (of feeling a press/depress like a digital button) done! Plus general dirrections can be detected dependent upon which nodes on the grid are pressed in...much like as if the entire screen were resting atop a D-PAD...but, in combination with the touchscreen's pixel grid, analog control can be acheived as well.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Shogmaster said:
Nope. Didn't sign up for Immersion press release. ;) I knew of those touch screens, but had no idea it was immersion.

Actually, the speaker is on the bottom part. The swiveling part just has holes for the sound to pass through in horizontal mode.

I nixed that idea because I didn't want big cavities on the face all the time. Just seems unrefined that way.

Yeah. I'm not sure what to make of this version either. As you can notice, the screen size for this version shrank to 3.5". Pretty soon, I'm not gonna have a screen left! :lol

I do love the clean face of the first version. I'm not quite sure what gameplay implications it brings in horizontal mode, as far as appealing to the hardcore crowd....

I'm not still sure if the immersion's tech is portable friendly. You'd think they would have done it in some fashion by now. I've only seen those large desktop implementations.

They say 2" screens & up...but yeah...when I presented my "version" a while while back, people screamed Immersion's touchsense, but my idea is different in a lot of ways.

Thanks for responding...yeah, the circle-spin thing is not the answer.

The more I think of it, your first design is very good and the "implications" of losing digital control in horizontal/widescreen mode would be big...unless something can be made of Immersion's or my own version of tactile "presses" from the screen. To add, a multi-point touch panel doesn't imply 2 stylus' and, in fact sorta implies 2 thumbs instead...so if we're moving more towards having 2 thumbs on the screen, then physical buttons/sticks of old should be replaced IF we can get the feel of a button press or analog dirrectional pressure from the screen. If we can, then there's no need for buttons or hinges or none of that. Thanks to multi-point touch control, even button presses may not be neccessary if the screen is "comfy" enough for 2 thumbs without them covering up too much of the on-screen action.

I mentioned before in what I'm brainstorming now that the screen would be even larger/higher resolution than what you've suggested. One reason is that in my "NDS B/C Mode" I have both NDS screens, but in between them (since there's room) there's a virtual NDS D-PAD/Buttons layout. Your left thumb rests on the virtual D-PAD, the screen can be pushed into and released from a node under the LCD to give the feeling of use & the touchscreen detects the centerpoint of your thumb (which determines dirrection on the D-PAD) when you press. The right hand is either on the virtual buttonset and used in the same fasion as the virtual D-PAD (only atop a different sensor node under that part of the LCD) or is using the stylus on the bottom screen.

Thoughts so far, before I draw it up?

gamefreedom said:

http://i9.tinypic.com/66l13z5.jpg

I want that :-/

Though, dont change the color of the button-plate to white. It´d look better if everything had the same color. So all black or all white.
But yeah, great design.

DrGAKMAN said:
They say 2" screens & up...but yeah...when I presented my "version" a while while back, people screamed Immersion's touchsense, but my idea is different in a lot of ways.

Thanks for responding...yeah, the circle-spin thing is not the answer.

The more I think of it, your first design is very good and the "implications" of losing digital control in horizontal/widescreen mode would be big...unless something can be made of Immersion's or my own version of tactile "presses" from the screen. To add, a multi-point touch panel doesn't imply 2 stylus' and, in fact sorta implies 2 thumbs instead...so if we're moving more towards having 2 thumbs on the screen, then physical buttons/sticks of old should be replaced IF we can get the feel of a button press or analog dirrectional pressure from the screen. If we can, then there's no need for buttons or hinges or none of that. Thanks to multi-point touch control, even button presses may not be neccessary if the screen is "comfy" enough for 2 thumbs without them covering up too much of the on-screen action.

I mentioned before in what I'm brainstorming now that the screen would be even larger/higher resolution than what you've suggested. One reason is that in my "NDS B/C Mode" I have both NDS screens, but in between them (since there's room) there's a virtual NDS D-PAD/Buttons layout. Your left thumb rests on the virtual D-PAD, the screen can be pushed into and released from a node under the LCD to give the feeling of use & the touchscreen detects the centerpoint of your thumb (which determines dirrection on the D-PAD) when you press. The right hand is either on the virtual buttonset and used in the same fasion as the virtual D-PAD (only atop a different sensor node under that part of the LCD) or is using the stylus on the bottom screen.

Thoughts so far, before I draw it up?

I think I need to see it to visualize it. ^_^

DrGAKMAN

Banned
i1287_DrGAKMANWiiDS.gif

WiiDS
Pictured powered down. Simple, with no control buttons/sticks and a large enough screen to display 480x270 games & media in true 16x9 fasion. Also on the face of the system are the small HOME, + & - buttons (for menu access to, rumble, sleep mode, volume settings, etc.), Cam/Mic, swipe card reader and 4 corner speaker system to give surround stereo in both vertical & horizontal modes. The system features an NDS Card slot, SD Card slot, HeadSet Jack, stylus storage, large battery access, recharge/power plug, a power switch and built-in rumble feedback & tilt control. Without a special clamshell or hinging system required, Nintendo can concentrate on ergonomics, asthetics, price & power with less engineering & testing hassles.

Sheathed
WiiDS comes with a seperate protective sliding sheild that can be stored on the back of the unit durring play or slide over the face to protect the screan from dirt, smears, scratches & even blunt shocks. There is a see-thru window on the sheild so that (when playing audio media, in sleep mode, charging, etc.) you can check the status of the WiiDS, veiw a clock, check if there's incoming "WiiMail" messages or other data.

TactileMount
Under the LCD is a mounting system that can be "pressed in" to allow for the feel of button presses. The 6 boxes allow for seperate digital clicks and use rubber springs to "pop back up" for that depressing feeling you get from a digital button. The large oval in the center is for proper even re-enforced padding for durrability and measures the degree of pressing pressure for analog directional control. Together with the pixel perfect touch screen sensitivity all types of control can be immitated giving the best of both worlds without physical buttons/sticks cramping the look/feel of the WiiDS.

Vertical Mode
Full NDS backwords compatibility & vertical gameplay/internet/media can be acheived in this mode. There is a vertical set of L & R buttons on the sides of the unit as well.

WiiDS Menu Interface
Just like the Wii UI only in portable form. Disc Channel is replaced by the WiiDS Card Channel and the Photo Channel is now the SD Card Channel, while all other Wii Channels remain the same and can be downloaded & accessed at any time that you're connected to a WiFi network via WiiDS's built-in WiBro chip. The WiiDS's chipset/visual output is on par with the Wii in portable form & includes 1GB of interal flash memory for storage.

Horizontal Mode
In this widescreen mode, new games can be played as well as VC, WiiWare & newer Virtual GameBoy (access to classic handheld games) titles. The screen is large enough to display past systems in their full resolution as well as custmizable "virtual controls" that can be changed, adjusted & moved to the players liking.

Shogmaster said:
The problem with this horizontal mode is that you can easily lose the grip on the thing because your area of grip is so small on the bottom. Not very ergonomically comfortable either. I'd rather see the thing slid the other way so that the d-pad and buttons are on top.

I dont think you will loose grip or it will be unconfortable to hold. Its hard to explain in words, but using the Dpad when its down there would almost be like using the analog nub on the PSP, and I find my thumb in that position to be fine.

if it was tweaked a bit, I think it would work great.

the biggest problem with most of the designs is DS backward compatibility, if you got rid of that it would open tons of more options.

DrGAKMAN, that device is like $300+ complex. I think you are aiming too high. Reminds me alot of my old Clie NX70 though. :)

Linkzg said:
I dont think you will loose grip or it will be unconfortable to hold. Its hard to explain in words, but using the Dpad when its down there would almost be like using the analog nub on the PSP, and I find my thumb in that position to be fine.

Even if I buy it's 'OK to hold' argument for now, you are forgetting the fact that it'll be nigh impossible to use the L + R triggers from down there.

if it was tweaked a bit, I think it would work great.

This is the only way I see it working:

Nintendo_TSc.jpg

Mechanism won't be ideal for the market and pricepoint (you'd have to really careful in designing it to be durable and reliable), but at least you can use L + R.

the biggest problem with most of the designs is DS backward compatibility, if you got rid of that it would open tons of more options.

Then we all might as well be fantasizing something else. Nintendo simply will not go that route.

Shogmaster said:
Even if I buy it's 'OK to hold' argument for now, you are forgetting the fact that it'll be nigh impossible to use the L + R triggers from down there.

This is the only way I see it working:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Shogmaster/Nintendo_TSc.jpg

Mechanism won't be ideal for the market and pricepoint (you'd have to really careful in designing it to be durable and reliable), but at least you can use L + R.

Then we all might as well be fantasizing something else. Nintendo simply will not go that route.

if I could draw, I would try to show off how L/R could be used, it would be really unlikely to be actually made, but it could work.

and yeah, Nintendo has too much good with the DS to leave it, thats why I always wished that they would have 3 devices like they said way back when.

and another thing about sliding designs is that the dpad/buttons could not stick out too much, which is a negative factor.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Explain how it would be $300 in 2009? The screen isn't THAT advanced (480x270 multi-touch, no big deal), nor the tactile mount it sets on, camera (even $50 throw-away cel's have camera's so that's not an issue), a built-in swipe card reader (pfft, pennies) and things like tilt, interflash & rumble are no big thing either.

Ahhh...you're talking about the Wii-like visuals in a portable aren't you? Without getting technical: the GBA is a portable SNES, the NDS is a portable N64...so it would make sense that the next portable would be GCN/Wii-level. Why not? It's not like the Wii is some uber-powerful machine that's impossible to shrink. And if we do get technical, it wouldn't be a portable Wii, it'd be a next-gen NDS with a Wii-like UI & visuals at that resolution.

How would that be $300+ complex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom