• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne/Nioh - am I wasting my money?

GreenStig

Neo Member
For me Bloodborne is my game of the generation so far. Honestly you can't go wrong with it.

Nioh i own but couldn't get passed that bloody vampire witch boss. May even give it another try as South park is not holding my attention.

groansey

for me the combat is amazing in these games but I could never get into them regardless.

It's not the difficulty, it's the lack of reasonable checkpoint/save system that made it a chore for me, fueled by trial&error game design.
And then seeing all those streams and videos where people just rush to their corpse after dying,skipping all the mobs and everything, just makes me question : what's the point of that system then? Punishing? I call it tedious.

Agree, mostly. Even with the shortcut it was frustrating and tedious to have to work and backtrack before tackling Gascoigne again, especially in a game designed around trial and error. A save point across the bridge would have made sense and encouraged players to retry and learn.

But I can't stand combat in game where the enemies have "invincibility frames" - it's cheap and shit. There's no skill to learning that sort of thing.
BotW also commits this crime, which is even worse as the combat is based around limited resource management, yet it will let the player waste arrows while the boss is doing an invulnerable animation. Thankfully it's bosses are much easier.

Dark_castle

Both are great. Bloodborne is really tough at the beginning, but is totally doable. I was able to beat it and Im a fairly casual player.

Nioh, is way fucking hard for me. Its difficulty continuously ramps up, I've only gotten half way through, I doubt Ill ever get much further.

Nioh is a RPG through and through. In Bloodborne, equipment and stats matter less than player's reflex and understanding of enemy patterns/mechanics. However in Nioh, you have to think more about how you build your character, choosing the synergistic stats from your gear and skills in order to prevail, like the Diablo games. That's not to say player's skill and knowledge of mechanics don't matter (they matter a lot still), but you have to know what you're doing with your character's equipment and choice of weapon and skills.

Nev

Banned
If you want a Souls clone that is Ninja Gaiden lite with Diablo loot and tons of filler go for Nioh.

If you want to experience the best videogame ever created buy Bloodborne.

Mendrox

Agree, mostly. Even with the shortcut it was frustrating and tedious to have to work and backtrack before tackling Gascoigne again, especially in a game designed around trial and error. A save point across the bridge would have made sense and encouraged players to retry and learn.

But I can't stand combat in game where the enemies have "invincibility frames" - it's cheap and shit. There's no skill to learning that sort of thing.
BotW also commits this crime, which is even worse as the combat is based around limited resource management, yet it will let the player waste arrows while the boss is doing an invulnerable animation. Thankfully it's bosses are much easier.

Bosses don't have invincibility frames in bloodborne. The player has them and you should abuse them by dodging towards enemies.

arcticice

Bloodborne obviously. it was my first foray into Soulsborne as well, and i enjoyed the hell out of it. i have over 120 hours into this game, and is easily one of the best games i've ever played. i'd highly recommend it

Neither of them is all that difficult tbh. Bloodborne is better overall but Nioh has better combat. I'd recommend getting Bloodborne first, but still play Nioh when you get a chance. It's great as well.

eXistor

Definitely give Bloodborne a try, even if you end up not finishing it, it's good to at least try and see for yourself. Nioh is good if you're into the style of game and you want more after the Souls games, but I'd rank it fairly low on the scale; I found it to be too repetitive. Great controls though.

they're not hard, they just demand your attention.

you should try them both. once you're over the standard difficulty, you'll gain access to every other game of this calibre.

I am quite mediocre at best when it comes to skillz and reaction times in games and such. But i've still managed to platinum both Nioh and Bloodborne, the difficulty is there when you have 0 experience with the games but when you learn some and get over the hump it's not all that hard except for optional stuff if you want to platinum. There's some optional bosses in both games that are quite silly one shotting hard. But with some persistence i managed.

Espada

Nioh runs at 60 fps, has more distinct weapons, more character builds, and more robust combat system. The game has also received 20 patches since its Feb release, mainly fixing bugs, adding more modes, improving skills, etc... It also got 3 DLC packs which added more enemies, weapons, modes, guardian spirits, and so on. Of the two Nioh is as Action RPG as you can get. It's very strong in both aspects.

Bloodborne runs at 30 fps with uneven frametime, has weapons with stylish alternate states, the regain system that rewards aggressive play, and far better art direction, level design, and music than Nioh. Its DLC, The Old Hunters, is fantastic and is home to some of the best content in the entire Soulsborne series. Instead of Nioh's sectioned off stages, Bloodborne has a large, intertwined world.

They're fairly different games, especially since Bloodborne is far closer to an action game than an RPG, while Nioh has both in equal measure. Since you've bought both, you can play the one that suits your taste in a given moment.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
the initial skill wall is huge, but if you can power through it and scaled that the games really open up and are a ton of fun.
You either quit within the first few hours or you stick trough it until the end. I feel theres not much middle ground.

brawly

Can't wait for OP's "I've been stuck in the beginning area for five hours" BB thread.

I'd get Dark Souls 3 instead. It's a great "best of Souls" and easy to get into.

groansey

Can't wait for OP's "I've been stuck in the beginning area for five hours" BB thread.

I'd get Dark Souls 3 instead. It's a great "best of Souls" and easy to get into.

Is DS3 easier to get into and ok to play having no prior experience of DS1 or 2? Is there a Gascogine skill-gate?

Ferr986

Is DS3 easier to get into and ok to play having no prior experience of DS1 or 2? Is there a Gascogine skill-gate?

Seeing your posts, you won't like DS3. It works the same way as do Bloodborne in terms of dificulty, exp resources, checkpoints, etc

brawly

Yes to the first question. No to the second. The game imo just gets progressively harder.

You can turtle, which just makes it more accessible by default.

Seeing your posts, you won't like DS3. It works the same way as do Bloodborne in terms of dificulty, exp resources, checkpoints, etc

Actually, you're probably right.

klaushm

Bloodborne is hard sometimes. Nioh is mostly hard on bosses. Sometimes, even unfair.

I'd recommend Bloodborne over Nioh, because it feels more polished to me. Nioh is more of a fusion between Dark Souls, Onimusha and stage select. It is faster than Dark Souls, but punitive as, and it is staged. Each stage brings you back to the stage select menu and you can redo those, do optional stages or daily ones.

I didn't know this about Nioh and was a bit disappointed at first. My own fault for not researching enough. After the first impression, I loved it.

groansey

I may try DS3 then.

If they re-released BB as the exact same game but with Castlevania style levelling linked to attack power they'd probably make a ton more sales from players they alienated, like me. Call it Bloodborne: Scrub Edition. Easy money.

Nev

Banned
Nioh runs at 60 fps, has more distinct weapons

Wtf am I reading here. Nioh, the game with 6~ types of weapons that come from real life weapons you see in every single melee action game, has more distinct weapons than Bloodborne of all things.

This is like, a literal lie.

Svejk

I wouldn't bother with either, OP... the increased challenge would be unnecessary and can be rather stressful, based on what games you've listed that you enjoy. I quit DSII & III about half way each... just too much tension for so little sense of progress and shitty platforming. I understand the temptation... if you can find one or the other for around $7, go for and give it a try... you never know till.

Gintamen

Wtf am I reading here. Nioh, the game with 6~ types of weapons that come from real life weapons you see in every single melee action game, has more distinct weapons than Bloodborne of all things.

10 is ~ nearly double the number.

I love both games. I like Bloodborne better, though I wouldn't start with that one if concerned with difficulty.

You can really out-level and out-gear the (standard) game in Nioh.

Then there are spells and ninja tools to really extend your survivability.

Attack damage and defense buffs
Enemy attack / defense debuffs
Heath regen
Instant revival (Naruto substitution jutsu)

Joining the right clan when that opens up can really add to your survivability and damage as well either with direct health / heavy armor boosts, or indirectly through raising luck significantly to increase drop rates of the rarest gear.

Nioh also gives you a bailout / you win form that turns you invulnerable and increases damage for a time.

You just need to get used to the game at the beginning, and see how things work.

When you have a chance, choose Spear as one of your weapons and stay in mid-stance (which is actually good the whole game). That poke is no joke with damage and distance. Then branch out to other weapons and stances at your leisure.

You may find some road bumps in bosses, but you can easily gear up specially for those (like anti-paralysis gear, meds, spells). Or simple summon help from other players if you get stuck.

Once you're done with Nioh, move on to Soulsborne and be amazed :)

Bloodborne's creature / level design and atmosphere are on a whole other level.

Edit: Yo, I forgot.

Just get Sloth magic as soon as you can, and you break Nioh.

I should have just said that. It's Very Easy mode, especially when stacked with all the other tools Nioh gives you.

Good luck!

void666

Banned
Well, i think Nioh is boring as fuck. Couldn't force myself to finish it.

Bloodborne is a masterpiece. And difficulty in souls games is overblown.
Anyway, summoning and ludwig's holy blade are the easy mode in case you need it.

Ctlead

Banned
I think the difficulty in these games are a bit overblown. They're not that bad if you have patience.

Bloodborne is one of the best games of this gen, so I recommend you buy it.

Nioh is less obtuse than Bloodborne.

With a proper story and a proper tutorial which explains pretty much everything.

It's also more forgiving because if you fuck up for your character build you can always respec. Nothing is permanent.

And if you're a fan of fast paced combat action game, Nioh has that Ninja Gaiden blood in it.

Overall if you're new to these types of game, you should start with Nioh first.

Your post is both completely correct and possibly incorrect.

In that everything you said is completely true; there are more tutorials in Nioh (for the bit I played of it), while in Bloodborne, you have those prompts in the first area and the hub area where you can experiment as much as you want. And Nioh, by all accounts, will probably be a easier to get into based on that alone, though I think the low/medium/high stances may take longer to get used to.

On the other hand, Bloodborne was my first Souls-like game, and while the beginning kicked my ass many times over, I eventually earned a plat both in the base game and the DLC and have replayed it every year since, sometimes more than once. He may very well be taken away by Bloodborne.

So I dunno! I look forward to eventually getting the Complete Edition of Nioh for a better view of it in case someone asks this again.

Elandyll

Banned
Can't really say for Nioh (the combat system and difficulty turned me off in the Apha), but even as a semi casual I have loved Bloodborne and even Platinumed it.

Kill3r7

BB is the better game and experience but Nioh is easier for new players and the tutorials help in getting you to understand and master combat.

Sakura

To be fair King's Field IV can do exactly this. So FromSoftware kind of has that reputation!

I saw Kings Field IV at the store the other day and almost bought it, but I figured the difficulty would be too much for me.

JMY86

Bloodborne is by far the superior game. Nioh is a very good game with an interesting mechanic in the stance system but a lot of the levels are pretty bland and the complete lack of enemy variety is a real bummer. The loot system in Nioh spices things up as well but Bloodborne is simply a far, far better game and just an amazing experience from start to finish.

Ferr986

Can't really say for Nioh (the combat system and difficulty turned me off in the Apha), but even as a semi casual I have loved Bloodborne and even Platinumed it.

If you may be interested, the alpha is not representative at all of the final version, both in difficulty and other mechanics like weapon degratation (that was canned).

MilkBeard

You should try Bloodborne. It's a masterful game either way, oozing atmosphere and creepiness.

If you like it, then try others of a similar type (Nioh, Dark Souls, etc.).

So, Im browsing the PS deals and I see these two games on for quite a nice price.

Now I usually avoid thease games like the plague as the percieved difficulty levels put me off. But their settings and worlds are right up my street.

I should say I dont think im a terrible gamer or anything but I have never really played these types of games before. I just usually play games on normal mode and I play alot of RPG games (recently stuff like Horizon, Nier, Hellblade, Witcher, Shadow of Mordor, etc etc)

Im happy to die a bunch and learn patterns of bosses and stuff. But are they so frustratingly hard that more casual gamers like me will be wasting my time and money?

And if not, what would be a better starter into this genre? Bloodborne or Nioh?

Or should I just not bother at all and stick with my casual 3rd person action games, LOL
Bloodborne is a masterpiece and the best Souls game imho. Nioh is great but the story isn't that good.

I understand the hesitation, I felt the same way with Dark Souls but loved it.

Izuna

Banned

If you are pretending Bloodborne has weapons with more varying movesets and purpose you're very wrong.

What does Nioh being based on rather ancient weapons have to do with anything?

Revan

Nioh was great....until it became a grindy loot acquiring mess.

The extra difficulties (seriously - there are 5 - FIVE - New Game Plus options) make it 100% focused on loot after the first play through.

In terms of difficulty - if you’ve played (and enjoyed) the Ninja Gaiden games - and played through those on the different difficulty levels - Nioh will be pretty easy to you. It’s opening difficulty is like playing on Hard in NGB for example.

I’ve never played the Souls games so I can’t speak to them.

Which is not until the post game? I never bothered with that crap, platinumed the base game and now I'm in the second DLC area. You can grind but you honestly don't have to to experience the bulk of the game.

Sulik2

Bloodborne is a masterpiece of a game. Just be sure to use a guide to ease how awful the intro zone and onboarding is in that game. Once you are out of Central Yarnham its incredible.

Rezae

I platinumed Bloodborne. If you don't like hard games, stay away. It can be incredibly difficult, and the faster pace (compared to other FROM games) requires you to be absolutely on your toes and quick with your reflexes.

If you're not a completionist, you can still see most of Bloodborne and avoid some of the more challenging end game content, and although you can grind a bit, at the end of the day you're still going down fast if you don't learn to avoid bosses attacks and learn their patterns.

Haven't played Nioh.

Izuna

Banned

The extra difficulties (seriously - there are 5 - FIVE - New Game Plus options) make it 100% focused on loot after the first play through.

In terms of difficulty - if you’ve played (and enjoyed) the Ninja Gaiden games - and played through those on the different difficulty levels - Nioh will be pretty easy to you. It’s opening difficulty is like playing on Hard in NGB for example.

Tbh it had 2 difficulties too many.

Sanke__

Im happy to die a bunch and learn patterns of bosses and stuff.

Definitely try Bloodborne
There is a good chance you will like it a lot

Just remember the opening area is unforgiving (the game doesn’t get significantly harder) and finding shortcuts is very important (finding a new shortcut back to a previous lamp is the games version of a checkpoint)

Revan

Which is not until the post game? I never bothered with that crap, platinumed the base game and now I'm in the second DLC area. You can grind but you honestly don't have to to experience the bulk of the game.

I completely agree - I LOVED the base game and the first DLC.

Then I didn’t touch it for a while, came back to it with DLC 2 dropped (I got the season pass) and found myself incredibly bored with it - like I couldn’t do the first levels of both the 2nd and 3rd DLC. The game becomes so dependent on better gear it killed my enjoyment of the game.

A first time Nioh playthrough is awesome.

Subsequent playthroughs turn the game into Diablo - a game type I have zero patience for these days.

I guess what I’m saying is that first time play is awesome and worth the money for the sheer volume of content alone.

Afterwards? It becomes subjective. I don’t like how the game shifted. Most people do.

That’s all.

Tbh it had 2 difficulties too many.

100% concur. The should have stopped at WotD.

Kill3r7

Personally I find NGB to be significantly harder than any of these games because the gameplay relies so heavily on combos and timing. Nioh and BB are far simpler in their mechanics, not implying that they are bad just different.

Top Bottom