• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming sentiment bothers you the most overall?

"It's a huge game, therefore bugs and glitches are acceptable".

Is that not true though? The bigger the game the more likely there will be bugs/glitches in the final release. The severity is the key. Game breaking? Unacceptable. Some jank? It's massive.

The entire hype train mindset. I fall into it all the time due to being on GAF so much. It's so hard not too, but I I definitely feel like it sours "old" games. I put old in quotes because with Q1 this year I felt GR2 was old because I needed to play all these games while their OTs were really active.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I love both styles, but my point is that action rpgs I get to points where I am just demolishing anything and everyone. Action games or combat systems aren't endless with variety, they are fun but they have the same things that turn based systems run into and it's once you're powerful it is a mash fest most of the time. But I'm ok with both as I know what to expect... I just simply enjoy both styles in different games
Not disagreeing with that, but generally if I'm going to be face-rolling enemies, that is more fun in an action-based combat system. The best ones are the ones that reward you not just for winning but for playing well, so that way you are constantly challenging yourself to do better even if 95% of your battles pose no real danger to you.

I'll take that over QTEs, timed button presses, "stop the spinning reels", etc shit that devs had been adding to try and make turn-based battles feel fresh.

Not saying I want turn-based battles to go away entirely, but by and large I am glad the genre is moving away from it.

Xbox players only like sports games and shooter. As someone who really enjoys alot of microsofts more
Bizzare first party stuff this sentiment seems woefully ignorant and fan boyish.

Falchion

I hate when some people don't use a feature so they don't want it available for anyone. The biggest example I can think of for this are achievements and trophies. I love them but a ton of people want them to be removed or stay out of Nintendo systems. You can turn them off if you don't want to be bothered but there are plenty of people who do enjoy the extra challenge.

StayDead

When people complain about games that they never had any intention of playing. I really hate this. Especially when people do it about completely niche games with a niche audience.

"ugh, this game is so anime avoid this everyone" - says the person who had no clue that the game or series was until the thread was made on a gaming forum.

That annoys me to no end.

RootCause

"PC master race"
That one is pretty bad too. :p

I hate when some people don't use a feature so they don't want it available for anyone. The biggest example I can think of for this are achievements and trophies. I love them but a ton of people want them to be removed or stay out of Nintendo systems. You can turn them off if you don't want to be bothered but there are plenty of people who do enjoy the extra challenge.

I'm neutral on trophies/achievements, I see no issue with having them, or wanting another company to introduce it to their platforms.

The one thing I don't like, is that for many devs, it's becoming a substitute for in-game unlocks/rewards. Wish I felt were more enticing.

"More options = better in all cases."

Restraint is one of the hallmarks of design, in general, but especially in games.

Fucking this. Especially if 'more options' ends up undermining a core thematic aspect of the game.

Second to that though, I'd probably go with the obsession over 'optimal strategies'. It's descended from stat based board games, but it's much more prominent, and much more frustrating, in video games. It's why I avoid the PVP elements of MMOs or games like Pokémon, because you had either be rocking the absolute best builds or you're a scrub that doesn't know how the game works.

Is that not true though? The bigger the game the more likely there will be bugs/glitches in the final release. The severity is the key. Game breaking? Unacceptable. Some jank? It's massive.

The entire hype train mindset. I fall into it all the time due to being on GAF so much. It's so hard not too, but I I definitely feel like it sours "old" games. I put old in quotes because with Q1 this year I felt GR2 was old because I needed to play all these games while their OTs were really active.

I tend to agree with you on that - i think it is fine to accept some bugs here and there - a bigger game is bound to have some - i don't think you can realistically test for everything.

Then on the other hand Breath of the Wild comes out practically bug free - and no one really bats an eyelid ( you could argue that games should come out like that anyway) - but i guess this feeds into another sentiments that irks me - the gaming community is relentlessly cynical and negative and doesn't tend to praise anything much these days.

Puruzi

Banned
When people complain about games that they never had any intention of playing. I really hate this. Especially when people do it about completely niche games with a niche audience.

"ugh, this game is so anime avoid this everyone" - says the person who had no clue that the game or series was until the thread was made on a gaming forum.

That annoys me to no end.
It's okay it's just criticism.

😒

Worst of the worst: "A game's value is directly proportional to the amount of hours it takes to complete."

This is an absolutely toxic mentality for everyone involved. Game design suffers due to bloat, consumers' time is disrespected, and developers are under pressure to deliver longer and longer games with finite resources.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The obsession with metrics as some sort of ultra-reductive way of determining the worth of a game.

Metascores being one part, the other being frame-rates/resolution basically all tech-specs being used like trading card stats.

pablito

Including any minority or female character and being called pandering or labeled sjw.

"Sucks" "Bad" pretty much language that if that person doesn't like it, it's not a good product.

It's all about the GAMEPLAY. No. Other aspects of games can be enjoyable too. Ask people that didn't like Star Ocean 4 why they feel that way.

Everything should be more like souls/botw.

Oh my god this. Don't know how I forgot about it. It's especially bad here, to the point where I'm conditioned to skip the rest of the criticism if I see Souls mentioned.

PillarEN

When people argue against allowing options that make games more accessible, and insist that others should just have to "git gud" like them

Examples: people arguing against an optional easy mode in Dark Souls. More recently, people arguing for the removal of things like fast travel or save anywhere from Breath of the Wild

I put this on the developer (and in a way the publisher) to do as they please. I may or may not like it but I respect the artist to do as they wish (of course the publisher can manipulate that). Worst case scenario I complain about them not having X feature.

And this isn't to take a swipe at you. What I mentioned above is just a personal take.

On the other hand while I don't mind that the Bungie Halo games had 4 difficulty options I have to say that playing the campaigns on Easy compared to Heroic or Legendary is a very different experience. Not in a "git good" way. Just in a gameplay way and how you approach the combat. The difficulty and tactics which are implemented on the higher difficulties aren't purely about Less health and taking more damage. They are gameplay changers. So this is sort of why I respect the idea of having one type of difficulty for Souls games. When I was first going through Demon's Souls I was lousy and I was struggling. But as I mastered the game ever so slowly I am very happy that I wasn't given an easy option as I probably would have broken down and taken it, but in retrospect I am glad I stuck the the hard (and only) difficulty. It made the experience what it was. And worst case scenario if I wasn't down with that to begin with then it's fine for me to walk away and say "not my kind of game". So that's sort of my take. Leaving it in the hands of the developer.

Framerate doesn't matter.

Everything should be more like souls/botw.

Racism/Sexism/Dickheads are just a part of playing online, get a thicker skin.

If people don't relate to the character because they're an unlikable dick then they probably shouldn't be the lead.

No there's no reason we can't have leads that are unlikable dicks.

"Old games have no value"

They don't to me. literally 0.

Demanding that all games would benefit from open world or action gameplay and generally shitting on alternative or classic game systems as if they are no longer legitimate.

Oh and "this game is the first to do this or the best this because I just started playing this new game." It probably isn't.

This for me I think. Weapon degradation in Zelda and match making in Destiny immediately come to mind.

There are too many to list, honestly, but most of them could be boiled down to "lack of empathy."

Yeah...I might just go so far as to lump it all in under "Gamergate", but in that I'm including people harassing developers, other gamers, games media folks and non-gamers on social media, youtube, forums, etc....I think you put it better.

RootCause

When people argue against allowing options that make games more accessible, and insist that others should just have to "git gud" like them

Examples: people arguing against an optional easy mode in Dark Souls. More recently, people arguing for the removal of things like fast travel or save anywhere from Breath of the Wild
They can already do those things. It's called roleplaying.

Just limit saves to bonfires, or towns. And don't use fast travel. No patch needed.

Peltz

Any major platform that sold over 10 million units "has no good games."

Okay, sure buddy. Every platform that has reached anywhere near that number has some fantastic games to play even if it doesn't cater to your personal tastes.

petran79

Banned
"You need to own all current gaming platforms (PC, XB1, PS4, Switch, 3DS,Vita,Iphone etc) for the optimal gaming experience and not to miss out on exclusives"

This would be a nightmare scenario. Updates, subscriptions, resets, troubleshooting etc

One PC is enough!

I tend to agree with you on that - i think it is fine to accept some bugs here and there - a bigger game is bound to have some - i don't think you can realistically test for everything.

Then on the other hand Breath of the Wild comes out practically bug free - and no one really bats an eyelid ( you could argue that games should come out like that anyway) - but i guess this feeds into another sentiments that irks me - the gaming community is relentlessly cynical and negative and doesn't tend to praise anything much these days.

I think BoTW is a great outlier. Should that be the goal of every single game, big or small? Of course! Now realistically there is almost no way that will happen most of the time. Wasn't it reported that Nintendo has been developing it for 6 years? No way companies can put that much into most games.

I completely agree with you about the cynical and negative attitude. One "bad" thing is latched onto in most games. Just take a look at ME:A. It's mostly people who haven't even played the game. You saw one or two GIFs and are now an expert on how bad the game is!? I understand why people tend to lean towards the negative as games are not cheap and people want the best quality from their $60 + Console/PC purchase, however not every game needs to be GOTY here!

I also find it really interesting how reading this thread I'm nodding my head in agreement with a lot of the comments yet know I fall into a lot of these tropes sometimes. Even consciously knowing it is still hard to get out of that circle, especially when I read GAF so much.

Mithos

"I want game developer to do X Y Z, but I don't want them to do it too well/good, because then I can't keep complaining about it."

The Dude

Not disagreeing with that, but generally if I'm going to be face-rolling enemies, that is more fun in an action-based combat system. The best ones are the ones that reward you not just for winning but for playing well, so that way you are constantly challenging yourself to do better even if 95% of your battles pose no real danger to you.

I'll take that over QTEs, timed button presses, "stop the spinning reels", etc shit that devs had been adding to try and make turn-based battles feel fresh.

Not saying I want turn-based battles to go away entirely, but by and large I am glad the genre is moving away from it.

I just want balance is all and games rooted in turn based to simply stay there, just as we have and never will see on a grand scale an action game turn into Turn based, know what I mean? So for me I just want my rooted in turn based games to stay there and a portion of newer IPs do a nice mix of turn based and action.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm the developer, I spent my blood sweat and tears making the game, I decide what part of it you own, not you

I'm the consumer who bought your game with the money earned from my blood, sweat, and tears. If you don't intend for me to own everything on it, you can kindly keep your dlc shit off my disc.

when people say they are tired of a style, like Souls games, "More castles? More dungeons? Please, I've seen this before."

like, no shit you have. by this logic we may as well throw out all fantasy fiction past "The Once and Future King". wizards in Lord of the Rings? please J.R.R. why don't you come up with something original.

Puruzi

Banned
I'm the developer, I spent my blood sweat and tears making the game, I decide what part of it you own, not you
All of that is nice and all but consumers spend their money on it so they own it. If a dev was making a game for free sure, but that aint how it is

The Dude

when people say they are tired of a style, like Souls games, "More castles? More dungeons? Please, I've seen this before."

like, no shit you have. by this logic we may as well throw out all fantasy fiction past "The Once and Future King". wizards in Lord of the Rings? please J.R.R. why don't you come up with something original.

Yea, it's just pure selfishness is all. Like every game needs to be made solely for them.

gelf

Any kind of shitting on gamings heritage bothers me. People talking as if older games(and gameplay trends) have no value and don't need to be preserved.

"Gamer culture" or "not a real gamer"

Neither of those things belong in our hobby. Do you play games? You are a gamer.

Also the vita has games, and many of them are awesome

Matty77

Without getting into political aspects of gaming I think the attitude/opinion that bugs me most is the "I hated the way this trilogy ended so retroactively it's all trash and somehow I didn't enjoy the 100 hours I put in even though I thought I did because the end was that bad".

It shows up in all entertainment fans but bugs me even more in interactive mediums. Newsflash most entertainment fails to stick the landing, just have fun and enjoy it before it nosedives.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
"You only need 60fps in multiplayer shooters."

I don't know why people are so in love with choppy gameplay and controls.

Mupod

'it's completely impossible for a game to be good if I'm not having fun in the first 2 hours'

there are plenty of games out there with steep learning curves - I'm not always willing to put in the effort myself but I don't dismiss something as shit as a result.

More than anything, I think it's ambiguity of people spreading bullshit, as well as the way they try and talk up their own credibility.
More than anything I notice posters usage of ambiguous uses of words like "we", "us", "most", "many", where posters will carpet bomb these unsubstantiated claims about proportions in an attempt to give their own opinion credibility.
It makes perfect sense. Boost up your perceived value by talking over others by saying "most of us feel that Nintendo fanboys are the worst fanboys", is a perfect ambiguous way of the use of "most of us" could mean 10 posters, or 100 or 1000- that doesn't really matter, because anyone caught on the other side of that exchange sets themselves up for a "not all men" type ordeal, where you have to fight for clarification over these posters lazy and receipt lacking bullshit arguments.

Listen- If you have something to say, don't use words like "we" or "almost all" or "most of them" as a way to talk up your own points.
Go back to the lab and come up with better reasoning instead of resting on the idea that if you have other people behind you, you're idea is supposed to be better. Having a popular or repeated idea in a online space doesn't make it good or anymore worth listening to.
That goes hand in hand with the cultist behavior that I've noticed online as well. The way some people speak of themselves as "gamers" bothers me. You're not a gamer. You're a person who likes video games. This is not a gaming culture. We're people who happen to share one interest. That doesn't mean we're a real community. Video games is a pass time enioyed by all sorts of people.

To say that you're a gamer, as a means of identification deminishes yourself and lets the other person who reads or listen to your self explanation, define you on whatever biases or extrapolations or connotations they have on what it means to be a gamer. Don't devalue yourself by explaining yourself as being defined by video games, or being a vegan, or a progressive or a crossfitter. Those are things you do. Not what you are. You don't brush your teeth or wipe your ass differently because you enjoy video games.

It's a trap to fall into cultural and group oriented norms that deduce or limit your abillity to self affirm as an individual. You don't want to get into a mindset where you think on the same wavelengths or in the same circles.
This cultist and religious belief set about group structures penetrate many of the things I don't like about video games in a social setting. From groups aligning over preferences of alignment and loyalty to hardware and software companies, to the idea that there is a hierarchy of better and lesser gamers, to the fetishization of that you can be wrong about your opinions in terms of reviews, representation, expression, coverage, integrity and so on, hinging on what the rest of the groups says.
If rest in my groups says that this game is the best ever, how can't you possible be compromised or a fucking moron if you don't fall in line? If everyone in the thread says thing thing is true, how can the outliers not be more likely to be wrong?

Stand up for yourself and have your opinions that goes against the grain. Being part of team populist or team FOTM doesn't mean shit. It's not that you have to be a Nancy naysayer, or some moderate mother theresa. Just... Don't use others opinions as an anchor for the levy or strength of something being worth more.

Ultimately, the point of having a message board is not to have threads where you have posters dogpiling a populist idea as everything else gets drowned out, but that is what happens when people are more occupied with being heard, than hearing others.
I don't learn anything if I don't associate with people who go against what I fundamentally believe to be true. I don't become more aware of my opinions, values and feelings if I am not challenged by people who annoy me. I want to constantly revise and evolve how I see and believe in things and I cannot do that if I am only being surrounded by the same sentiments, the same ideas, the same values. I go nowhere without listening to the shit that gets me angry.

Clearos

When you put a lot of hours into an MMO and people tell you that you have never enjoyed the game. You just caught in mindless quests and have stockholm syndrome.

Silvawuff

The concept of a backlog. It's a collection meant for entertainment, not a ball and chain. Not everyone who collects teapots will actually use them all; the pleasure comes in the finding and owning of the object, and I feel game collections are the same way. This becomes harder with the mass digitization of games and its growing intangibility.

Framerate/performance, outside of grievously bad optimization or something.

The normalization of toxicity in online gaming. Just be nice.

Souls culture -- like, great, I think the Souls games did good things for the gaming ecosystem, but it's time to move on imho.

And finally my biggest: people accepting poor infrastructure, customer service, or hardware because "that's just how this company is." Don't support inferior product or you're going to keep getting it. I think every gaming company has a hand in this, so it's not exclusive to anyone in particular.

Top Bottom