• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Nairume

Banned
It's funny, I can't say in all my years with FFIX before reading others opinions on gaf did I once consider that the battle speed was slow or might be a problem for some. I totally recognise it's a common thought seeing it come up often enough but it just never bothered me.
I think it's one of those things you either immediately notice or just acclimate to and don't really notice until somebody points it out.

Returning to it last year with the steam release, it didn't really bother me that much. Even not taking the speed toggle into consideration, it is sorta balanced out by the encounter rate usually being a bit on the lower side.

I think it's one of those things you either immediately notice or just acclimate to and don't really notice until somebody points it out.

Returning to it last year with the steam release, it didn't really bother me that much. Even not taking the speed toggle into consideration, it is sorta balanced out by the encounter rate usually being a bit on the lower side.

Hah, totally. Probably helps that I really like the battle arrangements for IX, I kind of relished being in combat for those!

kromeo

PS1 version of VI isn't unplayable, it just has longer loading times for random battles. Maybe have a look of youtube to see if its going to annoy you too much. i played through it fine back when it first came out

Not sure about V

I've played through a bunch of FF games in the last year. I'm currently going through XIII with my girlfriend as she never played it. We've hit Chapter 11 and all of the running around, completing missions is really boring for both her and myself. CP costs are skyrocketing, money for upgrades is pretty much nowhere to be seen, and the amount of backtracking you have to do for some of these things is bonkers.

So glad we're almost done. Gotta do IV The After Years after this before the event pops up in Record Keeper.

Bluenoser

Started a new playthrough of FFXIII on Saturday. On Chapter 7 now, after about 12 hours or so. You know, the game isn't that terrible from a story perspective once you have already experienced it. For people playing the first time, I can see how it is convoluted and confusing though.

The linear paths with battle after battle does get tiresome and boring though, and I can't wait til I get down to Pulse so I can start a meaningful grind. However for now, I'm just trying to enjoy the music and the pretty graphics, while trying to pay close attention to the dialogue to see if I can pick up on anything I may have missed on previous play-throughs years ago.

Fuck Vanille though. I forgot how insultingly annoying her character is. Every cutscene, she giggles and frolics like a toddler discovering their toes for the first time.

FFXIII-2 is up next because I still need the platinum. Doubt I'll ever play LR.

Linkark07

Banned
Playing FFV on my vita these days and the job system there is super addicting. They should bring it back.

Just finished this one on PC (unless you count the extra dungeon, which I'm trying to do). The job system is superb. Too many possibilities in Freelancer or Mimic after you master many jobs.

Still working my way through the Brave New World mod for VI. Just got to Thamasa post dinner party. God I love this game. Amazingly, first time (after 20 some run throughs) playing with head phones and hearing all these subtle instrumental embellishments in some of the songs I never noticed before.

I'm mostly sold on the mod too. The script changes are mostly innocuous. The battle and systems rebalances are nice. Lots of fairly challenging fights and new mechanics to play with. With his sped up swdtech meter, Cyan is a real MVP.

Pachimari

Brave EXVIUS has taken up all of my FF time ever since I started playing it three weeks ago. And I'm still fighting my way through FFXIV: ARR which means FF1 has kind of been put to the side. Either way I'll continue soon as I know precisely what to do next.

PaulBizkit

My journey of re-discovery of FF7 continues. Finished disc 1 on saturday and kept playing a lot on sunday. My party is now Cloud, Tifa and Vincent, with Cid as backup.

Alright, so Aeris' death is sadder now (even knowing she dies).
The snowboarding mini game is frustrating as hell, i mean it's fun, but i crashed a lot and it was very long. After that mini-game, you get to The Great Glacier, a snow forest with a LOT of places to go to. There are caves, lakes, a hill, and several cool items to find.

115481-1441148400-png.png

A whole (sub)world to explore!

I enjoyed this place a lot, unfortunately, I discovered the right exit earlier than expected and had to progress the story... After that, i got to the big plot twists involving Zack. Amazing, this game is better than i remembered it.

tumblr_nq2adwpU6i1rslk3oo1_500.gif

Top 10 anime fights

The Corel section is shorter than I remembered... and Tifa's escape was the best.

Anyways, got to the island village and then I had to go somewhere else but i can't remember it now. I'll keep playing later

kswiston

Final Fantasy games are 50% off on PSN and Steam at the moment, so if you are looking to start something new, now's a good time to buy.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hey guys, opinions on Steam version of III, IV and V? Any of them worst than their handheld console?

I've played Steam version of IV.

The fps during battles is very very low and there is no way to fix without breaking the game. The menu interface is ugly as sin too because it is based off the mobile version.

HOWEVER, it has a more interesting level of difficulty than the other versions. Bosses actually require a tiny bit of strategy. And it has an Auto Battle function which is nice.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hey guys, opinions on Steam version of III, IV and V? Any of them worst than their handheld console?

Bought III because of the sale on the SE store. It seems to me it runs worse on PC than it does on PSP and it doesn't even include the option for the (superior) original soundtrack. It also has some ugly ass mobile friendly menus. If you're getting the remake, I'd suggest the PSP version.
But I only tested the PC version for maybe half an hour, so maybe someone who played it for longer can give a better comparison.

jb1234

Finished the MSQ of FFXIV ARR. The last two dungeons were massively lame. They were meant to be BIG deals, the climax of the story but I was thrown into a bunch of people who had clearly done them dozens of times before and now, they were just speedrunning. I was forced to skip all the cutscenes to keep up, which was whatever.

And then, when I watched them at the inn, I wondered why SE even bothered because they were all mindnumbingly dull. I never cared about the fate of Eorzea because the writing team didn't put in the work to create NPCs that mattered to me. And it doesn't help that your character has no personality of his own.

Now I'm in the patch content and it's more of the same, except they're throwing hard versions of the primals and dungeons at me, which doesn't especially thrill. Might play something else for a while, I think.

kagamin

I'm sad I missed out on FF14 ARR post-launch content when it released, I bet Second Coil Turn 4 was really frustrating for a lot of people when it released. XD

Heavensward has a much more focused story since it takes place over 10 levels instead of 50, so it can tell a better story without suffering from too much bloat.

Sub_Level

is V and VI really that bad to play the ps1 classics version on a ps3? Because I dont have an SNES or GBA.

Yes it is really that bad.

I say that as a ps1 fanboy and someone who played through all of VI on ps3 (downloadable psn classic).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Finally continuing after a couple weeks of just being to busy!

nkCiPKc.jpg

Things resume as You rushes into the local bar and boots everyone the heck out! Strangely no one calls the local Shinra police over ta do something about him!

Us1ielF.jpg

This time? Just what else has AVALANCHE been up to?

sBzhuP0.jpg
YSoeVDO.jpg

No punches pulled here. So on point was this lady that What couldn't lift even a finger to respond in defense or anything.

junVSvl.jpg
O4KY4wJ.jpg
mcDQXnl.jpg

Prolly for the best that this guy got booted from the bar since he's likely had more then enough ta drink! Anyways some wandering around town nets us a buncha barred entries to the buildings other than the bar, and more doomsday cultish stuff. Wonder who's bad handwriting that is anyway. Anyways You has grown real impatient so without delay, into the bar!

5SfwY7d.jpg
b34k8pp.jpg

Arguing, shooting/slashing one another in battle while totally ignoring baddies... ya this stuff may have happened. So, can't lie! They did fight! Looks like this bar tender lady knew What when he was little!

aD5r5Ii.jpg
cBOKonl.jpg

Some post-work drinking and mingling with co-workers is in order. Biggs is talking all big and bad while Wedge is blaming This on his being fat. Lets ignore Jessie since she's just being a downer. Must not be a social drinker.

nWfv5Lq.jpg
CxaERLa.jpg

You heads down into his secret headquarters to talk business with everyone and even brings his daughter Marlene with which is weird. Makes this a good time for What to run around chatting up the locals some more!

wqTIpBE.jpg
SNC1ELQ.jpg

Back inside This is trying her hardest to up sell What on one of her drinks but he's having none of that!

VjUpzHw.jpg
OpyqdUT.jpg

Instead, he heads downstairs and immediately starts butting heads with You again! An of course he once again goes on about how he doesn't care about AVALANCHE, the planet, all that stuff. The new guy just isn't gelling well with the rest of the group.

ui5WPdH.jpg
hZNZbBO.jpg

As much as this group sucks, President Shinra doesn't seem all that great either. Like c'mon an event like this warrants more then a 2 sentence speech. ffs he doesn't even offer condolences for the victims or their familys!

mGez158.jpg
jkACgV8.jpg
jWsvd0P.jpg

C'mon now. Business > Nostalgia. Please don't pull me into a mandatory flashback...

91kvn92.jpg
HeEudG2.jpg

Oh fine! What was pretty short at the ripe young age of 14 but had tall aspirations! Or something like that? Leaving home to join the army at that age is pretty crazy. Shinra takes all types I guess?

LjN4STO.jpg
CcLiSDy.jpg

The big promise is that This wants to be in trouble and get rescued like a princess by some famous guy. Preferably What. Why harp on that promise now so many years later when you're not even in immediate danger o.o?

LetI7xj.jpg
oKwJVIj.jpg
3TPzuKZ.jpg

Because What achieved his dream, now This wants hers. Still dun make sense ta me! What and You go through some aggresively hard bargaining which results in What deciding to join up again for the next mission. Which is to bomb the Sector 5 reactor! Real creative huh? But first, You has some alil issue that needs resolving...

rF1upBO.jpg

Looks like we've found the one person in the world who doesn't know how to use Materia!

eDN3LIB.jpg
Yk6CZpK.jpg

This always bugged me. How come theres no Materia which raises physical attributes while lowering magical ones? Talk about a one way road! btw The tutorial didn't help at all so we're gonna have to go deeper!

KzF9CNl.jpg
bORndKj.jpg
qRSu9Hc.jpg

But hold that thought cause its time for the first shop of the game! Its finally opened up now and well old timer, if your shop was open more then ya may actually have customers more often! The first inn of the game is discovered as well. Turns out to be some kids rad as heck bedroom! He's apparently of big fan of bolts and... is that a... gun on one of the beds? Kids seriously hardcore.

4fROAd8.jpg
j94lAvg.jpg
PlfQdD3.jpg

Now its time for more learning! Game controls, how to soft reset, and that a hand can be summoned above your head to help if ya feel lost. Pro-tip: if its your first time through the game you'll prolly end up feeling lost at some points regardless! Now mister big shot SOLDIERs gonna go through the mother of all tutorials, and for free no less!

0AlV7dl.jpg
QrUCX0S.jpg
Nd92nHS.jpg

A mixture of sound advice, odd anecdotes, boasting, and reminding ya to not open the consoles disc cover while playing sums up this round of tutorials. Is any of this getting through to You?

JI2ecN8.jpg
Kc0jdOW.jpg

Leave Midgar? World Map? How could this be? After spending a whole 1 hour of playing I determined that the whole game would take place here!

YoZHURF.jpg
BWsSv2V.jpg

Good guy What finds some more peeps wanting in on his 'leet SOLDIER know-how which means more tutorials! Oh gawd somebody save me from this.

L0GAqCX.jpg
NYDV9VW.jpg

Wait did I say something about him being a good guy?

xTzf1rM.jpg
Ogw1cWN.jpg

Time ta hit the road but first some more nonsense! Poque my interest? Zuh? An why would What be disappointed that Johnny's left town? Are they acquaintances?

CoPPcif.jpg
WZ7Aef1.jpg

I still love this duo!

3 on PC is better than than the DS version, since it's at a higher resolution and the DS version has the extra content locked behind the now defunct Nintendo WiFi. The PSP version is better overall if you don't care for the mobile UI and if you like the Famicom music.

I am finally intending to beat FFs IV-VI as I've gotten far in each of them some 10+ years ago but never finished any of them.

Going through FFIV now, I chose the PS1 version as it is the closest thing to the original without being the gimped, easy version. So far so good. Right now at
Mysidia, just got Palom and Porom in my team.

I took my time to level at
Mt. Hobs
since I was getting wrecked by random battles. Tents are a godsend. The only thing I'm not sure about is the rate at which my party members change without me knowing if I'll get most of them back or not. Makes me really consider if it's even worth powering a lot of them up.

Arthea

I'm not sure was it mentioned or not, but all Final Fantasy games are on sale on steam too.

I was going to join in FF marathon, but then Atelier Sophie released on steam, and Firis is soon, so maybe after.

B.K.

I just finished the Before the Fall: Final Fantasy XIV storyline. Talk about shit hitting the fan.

I wish Bahamut would reappear and nuke all of Ul'dah.

jb1234

Played a bunch of FFXIV last night, which included the hardest boss battle I've done so far,
Ultima Weapon, the hard version from the bard quest. Unfortunately, we wiped a bunch of times because there's a very specific strategy you're supposed to follow as a tank (I was the secondary). After a few wipes and tips from the primary tank, we won. I just hate feeling like the liability. Fortunately, I learned a lot from this dude, including one aspect of tanking I didn't actually know but is common sense. Make sure the enemy aren't facing the rest of your party, haha. I can be dense sometimes.

It's definitely getting to the point where I feel some of these quests are designed to be done with people you know. You can kinda pull them off in the Duty Finder if you get lucky with some of the players but it's really not ideal.

Sub_Level

I'm not sure was it mentioned or not, but all Final Fantasy games are on sale on steam too.

I was going to join in FF marathon, but then Atelier Sophie released on steam, and Firis is soon, so maybe after.

No worries. 2017 is fierce. I think this thread will get a bit more life back in its stride when the releases slow down a little in summer.

Pachimari

I'm celebrating Final Fantasy in high spirits already.

I'm well into Final Fantasy 1 on iPad. I'm playing Brave Exvius and loving it every single day on the phone. And I am playing steadily through FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, so I can be ready for the Stormblood expansion this Summer. While I also still play FFXV even after having completed it, as it gets DLC contents and whatnot.

I won't even have time for the FFXII Remaster this year, so I'll buy it next year, as I hope to also complete FFVII before the Remake comes out, while I really want to play FFV and VI too.

Phew.

Started a Final Fantasy 6 run with the Brave New World mod. I couldn't help but laugh at Mog saying not to steal his spear during the Terra defense sequence

Chase17

I think I'm close to the end of FFX. Just struggled my way through the mt gagazet section. Took me several tries to beat the 3rd Seymour fight. His one attack would just OKO all three members at once (well sans Auron who could hang on). Didn't even see what his major annihilation move was like because I ended up just overdriving with all the aeons to beat him. Hoping I'm not going to need to significantly grind to beat the game.

jb1234

I think I'm close to the end of FFX. Just struggled my way through the mt gagazet section. Took me several tries to beat the 3rd Seymour fight. His one attack would just OKO all three members at once (well sans Auron who could hang on). Didn't even see what his major annihilation move was like because I ended up just overdriving with all the aeons to beat him. Hoping I'm not going to need to significantly grind to beat the game.

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to. The final boss is basically designed in a way to where it expects that you did all the side content, which naturally levels you up.

(And even with a lot of it done, I had a hell of a time.)

Chase17

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to. The final boss is basically designed in a way to where it expects that you did all the side content, which naturally levels you up.

(And even with a lot of it done, I had a hell of a time.)

welp, that's too bad.

Thanks for the heads up!

Opa-Pa

I only got the extra aeons and fought a big at the Omega Ruins and that was more than enough to monumentally kick the last boss' ass in FFX. I didn't even need to use the aeons.

I played with the sphere grid, though, not sure if that matters. But I still don't think grind is necessary, the thing is that your gtid progression defines how hard of a time you'll have.

Chase17

It took two tries and a lot of time but I managed to beat Yunaclesa. Wasn't too bad once I got the patterns down. I think that I have to be getting really close to the end now, but I thought that once saw the cutscene from the opening too so who knows.

Andrew J.

Starting my III DS playthrough, got through the prologue and have the ability to set jobs. I initially decided to go Fighter/Monk/White Mage/Red Mage, but after reading up on how Fighters are pretty bad and RMs are better than usual in the early game I might switch Luneth over to RM.

PaulBizkit

Ok, JUST finished FF7. My first try against bizarro sephiroth took a SERIOUS amount of unnecessary time and final sephiroth killed me with his super nova because my phys. and mag. barriers were down.

The second time, i beat b.sephiroth in a couple of minutes and managed to hit final seph with Tifa and Cloud's Limits AND managed to survive his super nova. Pretty easily.

So, that's it. The end. The game is still a 10 IMO. I would've liked to see what became of the main characters after the story game's story ended. I know i know, advent children...

I think it was a great idea to make Crisis Core and to give us a bigger insight on how Shinra and the SOLDIERs work, and Zack's story adds a lot to the world of FF7.

-- -- -- --

Now, the "how it holds up" score

Graphics: 7. The low resolution polygons are a hard sell nowadays but if you get used to it, then it doesn't matter. Battle graphics are the best.

Sound and Music: 10, the music is awesome and the sound itself is ok.

Gameplay: another 9. The materia system is great but might make things a bit easier. The "everybody can be anything" build types are very good since you can use your favorite characters and never having to worry again. The battles are quick

Logged on to FFXIV for the first time since like 3.1 or 3.2 (I'm i190), excepting a day or two during free login periods.

So glad I didn't risk any level 60 content, because even 50 dungeons were keeping me scrambling trying to remember how to Astrologian.

But with 4 months until Stormblood, I figured now was the time to catch up again. Need that Day 1 Red Mage come June

Heropon

I'm sorry I couldn't continue the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance playthrough but I had exams, then had to stay at hospital and now I'm busy and feel lazy but I kept doing some Final Fantasy related activities in the meantime.

I've recently bought the NES mini and had to finally play the original version of Final Fantasy. It was quite the experience and I could compare how the Origins version improved on it. My main gripes:
  • The accuracy at the start of the game is soooo bad. It was crazy seeing how the battles were more about letting people hit the air while the enemies miss often too.
  • This spell called TMPR sounds interesting but I don't even know what it does. The absolute lack of descriptions in stores/menus meant that I basically needed a reminder of what things do.
  • The aforementioned magic is bugged and does nothing. The same happens with many other skills. How can this happen?
  • Characters can't forget magic they've learned so coupled with the lack of descriptions it could have lead to a bad experience. Thankfully the working magic were the ones with strightforward names and thankfully there are faqs/guides/etc. to help.
  • So the MP is so limited that healing potions are really helpful. Time to buy them one at a time!
  • Every single time those cobras appeared to poison someone and then die terribly the game moved the character to the last spot of the party because reasons after the battle. So more time wasted doing some sorting.
  • This isn't limited to this version, but why can't be Warp be learned before Exit when it's obviously worse? And to add salt to injury they can't be bought until all the difficult dungeons are a thing of the past. *cough*Terra Cave, Marsh Cave, Ice Cave*cough*

I don't know if I'm forgetting more complaints but despite that I somewhat enjoyed my time with this game. I actually didn't find the limited armor slots too obnoxious and it was nice how it was basically telling you: Use weapons/armor as items in battle! In the end this was an interesting experience but I don't feel like playing it again, specially the first hours. *shudders*

Ultratech

Finally got around to playing FFXIII-2 the last few weeks.

Surprisingly, I'm actually enjoying it.

Not quite sure how far I am in the game currently...
currently at Academia 4XX

The monster hunting aspect is sorta interesting (and annoying since the Tame Rate for good stuff is terribly low), though it kinda sucks you have to buy/loot mats to level them up.

The battle system is definitely improved; no more lag time when swapping Paradigms and no Game Over when your Leader dies (that shit annoyed the hell out of me in the 1st game).

Top Bottom