• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

ASIS

Man... FF9 is so good!

I just completed
Cleyra
So I think i'm still early in the game. I'm moving at a snail's pace but somehow its making the game even more enjoyable.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Felt underleveled, I was basically getting one shot by some of his abilities... and then trying to actually beat any nearby enemies to level up was just as difficult, haha.
Know how that feels! I was underleveled an had ta grind big time since he was kicking my butt. Forever hate his theme cause I had ta listen to it for like a good hour or something between failed/successful fights with him!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The new 3.5 raid in XIV is fucking beautiful. Part of my group did it last night since one of us in Japan was wide awake. One of the best, if not the best, 24-man raid they've done mechanically too even if I felt the final boss had a little too much padding. I actually felt like a healer cuz I did a lot of alliance wide healing and raising! Lots of Alice in Wonderland and Bloodborne imagery. Love it.

ashasunblade01_20_20117sxr.png
ashasunblade01_20_201ezss2.png
ashasunblade01_20_2010osb1.png
ashasunblade01_20_201znsnr.png
ashasunblade01_20_201eyshq.png
ashasunblade01_20_201d8su5.png

I'd post pics of Zurvan but it's too cool for picture form. But hey, Kefka's Tower references

Made it to a dungeon in FFXIV where there's a massive difficulty spike. After having a rough time (and then getting kicked off the server unceremoniously), I've concluded that I'm a terrible tank and have been watching videos and reading guides for the last few hours.

Didn't know you should mark enemies. And didn't know there was a specific enmity combo. Really, there's a lot of shit here I didn't know that the game should do a better job of teaching you but I guess it just expects that you have prior MMO knowledge or something. Of course, I should have done a better job of paying attention at what it does teach you.
I am going to assume that this dungeon was Brayflox's Longstop, since it's the biggest test for healers and tanks to know their job. Before that, you could get away with not properly tanking or positioning well, even though Monks/pugilists, dragoons/lancers, and ninjas/rogues may resent you a little since their attacks rely on positionals. Brayflox tests the tank with respect to their aggro management, how they position enemies (the last boss is a major test in this), and how they pick and choose what they pull (the lake area after the second boss has a lot of mobs that you can elect to not even fight). It's a test for healers because some of the bosses or enemies require debuffs to be cleansed (if you're a scholar, I hope you have Selene for a cleanse).

I'm not sure if you know, but newcomers to the game are able to get invites to the Novice Network. I am unsure as to what it would be like for your server, but the Novice Network is designed for mentor players to answer new players' questions. It was kind of a disaster at first but from my friends tell me it's much better now. If you're really stuck you have two options: 1) Ask your FC for advice for your class, or 2) find someone with a crown next to their name on your server and ask them if you can get an invitation to the novice network. I think you are still considered a newbie until you do patch 2.55 content so please do consider this option.

I was pondering for a while as to whether or not some folks come into FFXIV, thinking that it's just yet another Final Fantasy with a different battle system, and just using skills because they "do damage". The answer, when I asked a few people in linkshells and elsewhere, is yes and no. A few people came into this game thinking it's literally just another FF with just another battle system and used stuff like i dunno... riot blade over and over, or heavy shot without using straight shot first and keeping the buff up. I've had cohealers lately just use medica 2/aspected helios/eos on sic and only medica 2/asp helios/eos on sic because it comes with a regen, I guess. I know a few people who play this game like just another MMO. Then you have people like me who haven't played an MMO since RuneScape or PSO or something, but have a friend immediately there to show you the ropes (ie: you're not too familiar with modern MMO design but you do know enough of the basics... added bonus is playing with someone who's introducing you to the game).

So... all three groups kind of have different assets and different problems. Additionally, even with the Novice Hall which was added in... uh... 3.1 or 3.2 I can't remember... you're just taught kind of the basics of a regular levelling dungeon (ie: a tank should do this, a dps should do this, a healer should do this), but I still kinda feel like you don't learn much because you don't have other people to bounce ideas off of. You're just put with NPCs in the Novice Hall and it's a ton of basic basic shit they teach you. I know the community has brought up trying to get an intermediate teaching hall in for Stormblood but that isn't a huge priority right now (and tbh I understand why). The game does make an effort to teach you a lot of things now, and especially now in this current patch where they made a ton of QoL adjustments. That being said they still need to make some improvements. I appreciate them telling players to do their class quests when they get to a level that enables you to do one (because we used to have a huge issue with people not doing them cuz they didn't remember they had them). I wish they would just... put the damn tooltip on the screen for a new skill and force people to read them. People just outright do not read their tooltips, even up to level 60. It's a crappy deal but you can't exactly change how people play as much as you really want to.

They had removed the mandatory guildhests which semi-teach you your roles at level 10, and i think that's both a good and bad thing. It's a good thing because guildhests need to be retooled and restructured really badly, but it's a bad thing because you're marching into your first level 15 dungeon without partying up with people in a traditional sense.

That being said? I don't think you need to watch guides or read guides at level 32, haha. I think you should read your tooltips (as the combo potency bonus for aggro generation is right in your tooltips for every attack in the actions menu), and if you need to go to the Novice Hall or ask other players for advice, do it. There's nothing wrong with asking for help. Many of the guides out there are designed for players at 50 or 60 when you get all of your skills and thus can use full rotations. I know Paladin is a special case where you literally get... like... one rotation at 50 and one AoE and it's like watching paint dry sry i hate paladin. But regardless, you don't get all of your tools until 50 (especially in PLD's case where you get Circle of Scorn which is your AoE dot and an easy way of generating aggro).

Either way considering some folks don't come into this game as an MMO/WoW-like experience, I do think they should have textboxes telling you "Please Read Tooltips" as you start. They tried with the novice network and novice hall, but I do genuinely believe they should have an intermediate hall before Brayflox.

As for your tanking issue... okay... this is me:

JlG6yNU.png

Yes I have everything at 60. I can't play everything competently at 60, which is why I stick to bard/ninja/all three healer classes. Playing Summoner is like being a damn octopus to me since I play on controller coupled with a keyboard. I can do more than one geirskogul in a blood of the dragon rotation on a good day but most of the time I'd rather play another melee dps. I wouldn't tank even if you paid me.

I hate tanking. I can't do it because I get far too nervous even though everyone tells me I can tank well. My best friends and my boyfriend literally took me into dungeons to teach me how to tank when I asked, and they did a really good job giving advice as we went along (heck when I didn't position right, I was chewed out for it by one of my friends and I learned from that experience). I learned to mark only because I saw other people doing it, and I do encourage marking early on because low level tanking is not easy. Of all classes, I don't think they do a very good job teaching newbies that 1) they are tanks, and 2) how to tank properly. I am quite aware that the Level 10 Gladiator quest literally teaches you to flash to get aggro (I remember because it was long and annoying), but that isn't all there is to tanking. You're not taught moderate knowledge stuff like grouping (especially when you're grouping ranged stuff), switching stances (especially in later endgame content), and defensive cooldowns. Granted, that kind of stuff comes with experience and if you played another type of class, you'll learn what YOU want if you play another role. If you started on monk first and switch to a tank, you'll want to tank things so the monk will be happy, for example. That's the type of stuff that gets into my head and I get kinda stressed out so that's why I don't tank.

My advice is really... don't drop tanking right away. And try not to care too much--take those experiences where you think you're doing something wrong, and learn from them. If you, as you're learning about it, still don't feel comfortable with it, you can always switch and play different jobs on the same character. This is why my advice to new players is "don't do every sidequest you see"; it's kind of like keeping spare wine around in case you feel like partying on some random night. Picking up a DPS job is probably an easier thing. The thing about MMOs is that a lot of the blame during a wipe goes to tanks or the healers (a lot of the time it goes to the healers because an emptying HP bar is the most visible part of a battle).

I started off as Rogue/Ninja because that's what I wanted to play the game for. My best friend (now boyfriend) kept asking me to play it with him because I was super-shy and I avoided playing multiplayer ANYTHING because I felt really shy and I thought people would think I'm bad at games or something. I grudgingly agreed to playing XIV with him, and... well, you see the result above. Going through ARR and HW I was not the best ninja. I can look back, think of my rotations going through the game, and go "man, I was probably pretty bad!" My bf even took me to a training dummy when I got my final Mudra skill for Ninja, showed me all the ninjutsu, and literally told me to git gud in three days. And I tried. I was passable. I don't feel like I learned how to get SUPER good at Ninja until December 2015 or a little after that. And now I just make up my own rotations, double check with raid guides, and feel good that my rotations mostly line up with theirs. I'm still doing the same things with Bard, too, since I play it a lot. I only started playing Scholar (and now triple-maining with Bard/Ninja) because we needed a healer to fill for practice Coil runs... and now I'm the group's main healer even if I get nervous about it sometimes. I love playing scholar now, and I don't usually like caster classes in games at all.

What I'm trying to say is that you're not going to know everything at Brayflox. You're going to keep learning as you keep going through the game. I'd played Scholar since February almost 50% of the time I played Ninja, and I don't feel like I learned how to play it competently until like... September? October? My standards are a little high but that's how I personally feel about my skills. My friends would say that I was a good healer back in March/April, and as you can tell I don't agree. Your worst critic is always going to be yourself. I still go through stupid "wah I'm bad wah" phases because anxiety is a bitch etc.

But the best part is that you can quit what job you're doing any time you want and pick something else. I think armory bonus applies to the highest level you're at... so it's not going to be too hard to level another class. The armory bonus works like this. I think it's good to have more than one class or role levelled because if you're tired of long dps queues you can go in as healer. If you're tired of melee dps you can go in as ranged. And so on. It makes the game feel less monotonous.

I'm sorry that was long. I'm just trying to remember what other people told me when I started out or when I tried taking up tanking.

kswiston

Switch and Fire Emblem news really sidelined this thread!

I played the first hour of Final Fantasy XV yesterday. It's interesting. I think I need some time to acclimate to the battle system. I fought some monsters in a small shack and the camera was a mess. Hopefully those sorts of things are isolated issues.

I am trying to get another playthrough installment for FFT posted this weekend. Fire emblem and switch talk on GAF sidelined my gaming time too.

Rizzi

I installed the steam version of FF IX. Man, something about the high resolution character models on really low resolution backgrounds makes that look ugly as fuck.

Tenrius

Switch and Fire Emblem news really sidelined this thread!

I played the first hour of Final Fantasy XV yesterday. It's interesting. I think I need some time to acclimate to the battle system. I fought some monsters in a small shack and the camera was a mess. Hopefully those sorts of things are isolated issues.

I am trying to get another playthrough installment posted this weekend. Fire emblem and switch talk on GAF sidelined my gaming time too.

Switch to wait mode, I feel it helps a lot.

Velcro Fly

Finished FF1!

The combo of Giant's Gloves and Haste is obscene. Having my Knight and Master both doing 1k+ per turn on the final boss is crazy.

I had had the ending spoiled for me years ago so I knew what to expect but it was still pretty cool.

Not sure if I'm going to tackle the bonus content or not. I may come back to it later on. For now I think I'm going to move on to Final Fantasy IV on the PSP (played on Vita)

jb1234

I am going to assume that this dungeon was Brayflox's Longstop, since it's the biggest test for healers and tanks to know their job.

That's the dungeon, haha! I honestly only tried it once, felt woefully incompetent and insecure about it and then when the server kicked me out for unknown reasons, I finally got back in after five or so minutes and everyone had bailed. Doing some reading has helped a little bit. At the very least, I know more about my skills and how to piss mobs off enough to target me, something which the Novice Hall only covered the very basics of.

(Basically, it emphasizes Flash a lot but as I figured out later, that skill has its limits.)

My problem is that I just don't have a leader personality and I feel like that's what people expect from tanks. I second-guess myself when it comes to leading people around because I haven't done the dungeon before and there's a very good chance the other people have and expect me to do a certain thing. I need to get out of my own head.

I went back to do the guildleves I haven't touched (which is all of them, haha) and I feel I'm getting the hang of things. Basically, I'm good as long as all the enemies on my left menu have that red color. ATTACK ME, ALL BEASTS.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's the dungeon, haha! I honestly only tried it once, felt woefully incompetent and insecure about it and then when the server kicked me out for unknown reasons, I finally got back in after five or so minutes and everyone had bailed. Doing some reading has helped a little bit. At the very least, I know more about my skills and how to piss mobs off enough to target me, something which the Novice Hall only covered the very basics of.

(Basically, it emphasizes Flash a lot but as I figured out later, that skill has its limits.)

My problem is that I just don't have a leader personality and I feel like that's what people expect from tanks. I second-guess myself when it comes to leading people around because I haven't done the dungeon before and there's a very good chance the other people have and expect me to do a certain thing. I need to get out of my own head.

I went back to do the guildleves I haven't touched (which is all of them, haha) and I feel I'm getting the hang of things. Basically, I'm good as long as all the enemies on my left menu have that red color. ATTACK ME, ALL BEASTS.
Hmm, my boyfriend had to deal with a similar type of issue when he swapped to tank after being a monk during 2.0-2.x (ie: like me with healing, he did it out of necessity and also because "most tanks are bad and I'd rather do it myself"). When our group started doing raids post-Heavensward I think he struggled a bit with being automatically handed the leader role because he tanks (and also because he has the highest role in the FC but that was always an arbitrary role and everyone did everything). He said he's not used to being in a leadership role, but to be honest, I feel like he was always suited to it. I feel like I'm not a good leader because I get really anxious and get into my own head about stuff sometimes so I prefer roles where I can help out the party or if the dps class is fast.

As tank you set and dictate the pacing of the run; pull what you want (I mean there are the random assholes who pull ahead of you but whatever that happens), pull how many you want, and pull whenever you want. When I was learning how to tank, I usually tried to ask the party if there was anything to know. I see other tanks or healers asking that so I usually tell them so it's not really a problem to still ask. People will tell you if they have a keyboard.

One thing that I learned early on from my friends who play main and off tank: flash more than once. There is nothing wrong with flashing multiple times as you use your aggro combo and constantly switch targets.

They did add a wonderful thing in 3.4, and that's coloured aggro bars. Before, they were all coloured blue and all you could do was just look at if they filled up or the numbers/letter. (Sorry some of them are from when I'm scholar or bard (prob bard by the time i post this) cuz the point in 3.4 no matter if I used shadewalker, I kept overtaking the tank in aggro because my opener was that powerful... and it still kinda happens.)

This is what it looks like before you begin an encounter with a mob or if you're not being attacked. No bars at all.

4ojD1cw.png

Flawed Aggro Generation

When someone in the party list has an A next to the bar in the party list, that means they're tanking or they're the lead in the party who has the most aggro.

Zq7TxDi.png

This is really bad. This means that out of 24 people, I am literally the one tanking the raid even with aggro skills already used (shadewalker et al). This is where a tank uses provoke so they can put themselves at the top of the aggro table, then uses their enmity combo to get more aggro while I let up a little bit (fyi this never happened so I tanked it for like 30 seconds lol).

9kRq9AD.png

This is simply case where in our alliance's party I have the most aggro. If the main tank dies, then the boss will start attacking another person in another alliance. It can either be me as DPS or the second alliance's tank (or they might have the same problems as my group). This can be solved a few ways: Ninjas at level 54 or something i can't remember... it's past 50... get Shadewalker which transfers 80% of their aggro generated to the target. I can use that, but there isn't much else I can do if I've already used it. So use your emnity combo until you get comfortable. Sometimes you just can't stop this if your dps or white mage are too powerful. If your dps or healer start tanking it's your job to provoke then use your hate combo.

3IrcuhU.png

Sometimes monks and black mages can generate a ton of aggro based on how their classes work, but this really shouldn't happen in terms of a bard (me on the top) generating that much aggro even with quelling strikes used. This is an alliance raid so it's not a HUGE deal but personally if the other alliances fall and my alliance were still up, I wouldn't want the monk getting aggro first, dying, then me getting aggro then dying.

7RUZgnc.png

Passable. I mean, I don't think the tank will die so that's fine. If the tank DOES die, the off-tank would have to provoke it off of me because I'm the second highest on the list. Off-tanks have jobs too!!!

Good Aggro Generation

TDWkFla.png

This is decent. I'm a little worried about the black mage over there but that can be rectified with me throwing them a smoke screen, them using quelling strikes, or the tank using their enmity combo just a little, but not too much to ensure that he doesn't take aggro from the alliance main tank.

CyyooLs.png

This is OK. I think most people would say it's okay but I wouldn't. It's not really the tank's fault, either. White Mages have access to Shroud of Saints which lowers the enmity generated from their attacks, and gives them some MP regen. Another reason why they may have been high on the list is if they pre-cast (cast before the pull happened) medica II (which I'm sure happened since I see it quite often now). If a tank has regen on them BEFORE they pull, then the tank won't have aggro first. The healer will (shields are different if you're with a scholar or a nocturnal astrologian). If this happens, click off your regen before you pull or flash a lot if you do decide to pull with it on. My bf had to do that with our group's old healer who never understood why he did that. Alternatively, I could try throwing them a Smoke Screen (which lowers their enmity by the action), but sometimes some white mages/diurnal astrologians' playstyles don't facilitate Smoke Screen working as well as it should.

Using the colours on the side helps but I personally feel like the bars are a good thing to keep an eye on in addition to the colours in the enemy list... but that's me coming from a healer/ninja perspective on it. I think one of my friends uses the colour outright. I'm not entirely sure what my boyfriend uses but it's probably a combo of both.

Nairume

Banned
I decided to give the nes version of FF3 another shot instead of slogging through the DS version again last night. I'm already past Goldor's Manor and am enjoying it more than I have in the past. There's still a lot about how it plays that bugs me, but its less bad when I remind myself that a lot of my misgivings on it stem from seeing FF5 doing a lot of the same ideas in a way I enjoy more.

Also it's really been hammered in this time on just how badly the remake translated the world into 3d. I always knew it was bad about that, but there's a lot of subtle things that are just gone in the remake that I really wish had carried over.

jb1234

One thing that I learned early on from my friends who play main and off tank: flash more than once. There is nothing wrong with flashing multiple times as you use your aggro combo and constantly switch targets.

That's the exact same thing I was told by a very nice DPS who joined me (and two others) in that dreaded dungeon. Fortunately, we made it through with just one death against the dragon but man, what a battle! My heart was beating the entire time!

Further progress today includes all the quests up to Titan (terrible), Titan himself (kinda anticlimatic) and now, I'm rampaging through Coerthas, which benefits strongly from deeply foreboding use of organ. The game's music is quite solid but it's really been stepped up a notch for this new area. I'm enjoying my time in the game and find the grind compelling in the same way I liked the sidequests in XV. But I'll admit that I'm really waiting for the story to get cracking.

The slaughter of the Scions was unexpected but aside from a couple of morbid quests (like dealing with the bodies), the game seems content to fall back into its fetch and "go kill this" quest routines. I'd kill for an three-dimensional NPC at this point but there hasn't been a single one.

My current dilemma is that I've gotten an offer from a friend to transfer over to his server with his buddies (and their FC). I'll admit that I don't have much holding me to where I'm currently at so it's just a question of whether it's worth the cost. It would be nice to feel a little less lonely in the game.

I'm still pretty confused by the aggro bars in the upper left corner, even with your nice explanations. I might have to find a site that completely breaks them down.

I installed the steam version of FF IX. Man, something about the high resolution character models on really low resolution backgrounds makes that look ugly as fuck.

Shoot, it's next on my list for a replay after I finish VI Brave New World.

What do people think is the best way to play IX today?

Shoot, it's next on my list for a replay after I finish VI Brave New World.

What do people think is the best way to play IX today?

I'd agree with Steam, if only for the convenience of not hooking up a PSX (it hasn't hit ps4 yet right?) and the speed enhancements.

For my part, I've finished XV. Finished at level 60 with twelve out of thirteen royal arms found. It's a flawed game and that's been discussed to death, but I enjoyed my time with it.

For FFV, the earth crystal's been shattered and the world is doomed. Or something. Exdeath is free and demanded the crystals smite the party, but settled for just kicking around Bartz a bit and rubbing his freedom in Galuf's face. Galuf and Krile returned to their world to face Exdeath and about five seconds later the team decides that this abandonment shall not stand. The adventure continues!

Playing XIV for the first time and I'm really enjoying it. Most of the way through Heavensward right now and I'm using Dragoon as my main class with Dark Knight and White Mage as subs. Beyond some groups of people getting pissy with me about I guess not memorizing a dungeon/trial despite it being my first or second attempt, most of my interactions with randoms have been great. I'll probably go ahead and pre-order Stormblood when I can.

Aquova

Playing the PSP version of FF3, what are the best jobs? So far I've been using Warrior, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, but I just got to the Fire Crystal and I got 4 new jobs... I'm debating about switching Warrior to Knight, and Monk to Geomancer, but I don't have any good weapons for the Geomancer...

gfxtwin

XII: Zodiac Age is one of my most hyped releases this year. Still haven't finished that game, and in terms of graphics and world building it's held up amazingly well and is kinda everything I want to see in a FF game. Decent characters and some of my favorite gameplay in the series too (love how combat feels more organic - no random battles). Wonder when it'll come out this year.

For all the nitpicky flaws that I see in it, the Steam version is probably still the way to go

I'd agree with Steam, if only for the convenience of not hooking up a PSX (it hasn't hit ps4 yet right?) and the speed enhancements.

For my part, I've finished XV. Finished at level 60 with twelve out of thirteen royal arms found. It's a flawed game and that's been discussed to death, but I enjoyed my time with it.

For FFV, the earth crystal's been shattered and the world is doomed. Or something. Exdeath is free and demanded the crystals smite the party, but settled for just kicking around Bartz a bit and rubbing his freedom in Galuf's face. Galuf and Krile returned to their world to face Exdeath and about five seconds later the team decides that this abandonment shall not stand. The adventure continues!

Steam is the best version.

Thanks all, think that's what I'll do. Faster battles will be a god send.

Ultratech

Playing the PSP version of FF3, what are the best jobs? So far I've been using Warrior, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, but I just got to the Fire Crystal and I got 4 new jobs... I'm debating about switching Warrior to Knight, and Monk to Geomancer, but I don't have any good weapons for the Geomancer...

Best jobs are a bit relative in that game, since they re-balanced most of the jobs so they perform better in the Endgame (haha).

That said, the best jobs generally don't come until after the Water and Earth Crystals.

Anyways...as per your question and what you have available now.

Monk: Very good; just pump up those Job Levels and it'll be a killing machine as you go through the game. (It's actual "upgrade", the Black Belt, you don't get until near the end of the game.)

Knight: A great upgrade from Warrior; they get more equipment options IIRC, and they can Defend your party members when they're Critical.

Geomancer: They're actually pretty decent at that point in the game. Their big thing is that they're basically MP-less Mages. You just gotta understand the Attacks that come from Terrain and that there is some randomness with them.

Thief: Thieves are really good in this game; Maybe not when you immediately pick them up, but after around the Water Crystal, they get some very nice Knives that help them pump out lots of damage.

Black Mage and White Mage are still good/decent too. Sadly, their upgrades don't come until late.

But for any immediate power boost, just pump up your Job Levels, as it affects a number of things for each Job. (More attacks, Unique Skills get powered up, Stronger Magic, etc.)

Noi

My current dilemma is that I've gotten an offer from a friend to transfer over to his server with his buddies (and their FC). I'll admit that I don't have much holding me to where I'm currently at so it's just a question of whether it's worth the cost. It would be nice to feel a little less lonely in the game.

If you can afford it, absolutely do so. Being part of an FC and activel talking with people who play the game will greatly augment your time spent playing it. It's a social game after all.

RDreamer

Spent yesterday playing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. It's actually the longest I've spent with that game even though it was the sole reason I got a Gamecube back then. I got the GC before I realized how multiplayer focused it was and when I got it my enthusiasm kind of went away after a bit.

Anyway, spent a few hours yesterday with my fiance playing it. She apparently played a ton of it when she was younger, so she was really excited. We got two years through the "story," and it's really fun so far. I really wish they'd put something else out with this formula and online multiplayer for PS4. Maybe mash it up with a bit more loot like Diablo. That'd be perfect.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yesterday Noi and I did Thornmarch EX with a few other GAF members on our server and it was pretty fun, partially because I love hearing how other people get into the game and how they think the story will go. Or what they're doing in-game. It's just nice to hear someone compliment Thornmarch EX's design when most people generally hate it (but it's usually easier to do with people who know what they're doing vs people who don't).

Also I think I need a raise macro. I have a good one in mind but idk yet. I'll probably just use the standard "raising <t>" in the end. I've played healer way too much lately instead of 50:50 with ninja that it's kinda getting to me, haha. It's because of the stupid relic light farm cuz it forces me to be inflexible.

I tried one of the new expert dungeons as ninja while Noi ran as monk and I felt rusty. I need to whack at a training dummy for a while because my rotation needs to get NOT rusty cuz my dps is usually pretty high. Same with bard too maybe, but it's pretty hard to get bard wrong imo.

That's the exact same thing I was told by a very nice DPS who joined me (and two others) in that dreaded dungeon. Fortunately, we made it through with just one death against the dragon but man, what a battle! My heart was beating the entire time!

Further progress today includes all the quests up to Titan (terrible), Titan himself (kinda anticlimatic) and now, I'm rampaging through Coerthas, which benefits strongly from deeply foreboding use of organ. The game's music is quite solid but it's really been stepped up a notch for this new area. I'm enjoying my time in the game and find the grind compelling in the same way I liked the sidequests in XV. But I'll admit that I'm really waiting for the story to get cracking.

The slaughter of the Scions was unexpected but aside from a couple of morbid quests (like dealing with the bodies), the game seems content to fall back into its fetch and "go kill this" quest routines. I'd kill for an three-dimensional NPC at this point but there hasn't been a single one.

I'm still pretty confused by the aggro bars in the upper left corner, even with your nice explanations. I might have to find a site that completely breaks them down.
Yeah, people will help you out if you're unsure. It's one of the reasons why I appreciate tanks asking me if they can pull bigger while I'm healing, or ... what happened two days ago where two Dragoons and I basically three-manned the Antitower cuz our tank dc'd and we kicked him cuz one of the drgs had to get going soon. Talking is good! I feel weird when no one talks (not even a hi at the start or a "thank you for the run" at the end), but some people just wanna get into a dungeon and get out. I felt that way after a long day at the hospital, so I get it.

The Titan portion of the game is usually a lull to many players so I don't blame you for feeling how you do about it. Tanking Titan in general is pretty boring too cuz you just kinda stand there while the DPS and Healers do mechanics. Titan Extreme has /some/ stuff for the main tank to do but that mostly amounts to taking a tankbuster to the face and making sure you don't fall off the platform. It's generally a boring fight if you're not healing or acting as off-tank in extreme, or doing most of the damage dealing work. I've done all three roles and I generally prefer damage dealing in Titan.

The game generally picks up in Coerthas but, and I had this conversation yesterday, I don't feel like ARR's story picks up until 2.3 or 2.4. I personally love Heavensward, FF4 and FF6 references and all (lol running jokes), but I can't really get down with the majority of ARR's story because the pacing is kinda off? I appreciate the quests in hindsight because I can say "I remember that guy!" or "man that guy was a small fry before but now he's the big kahuna" or something or "man this tiny little quest contributed a lot to the game's lore", but the quest design in ARR is mostly done because I think they were just trying to make a game and get it done while setting a framework in for future content. It simply pales in comparison to current content in retrospect. I was rewatching all of the patch trailers with Noi the other night, and it's amazing how BIG AND FAT patch 2.1 was. So much content and Quality of Life shit like housing and pvp and stuff. So it's not really a surprise to me that people don't dig ARR off the bat. I didn't, and I don't particularly like overselling the ARR portion of the game to folks. But I love Heavensward so much. The characters are great, the dungeons are great, the music's better... and I can owe part of that to playing with other folks who have similar goals.

It's kinda amazing thinking of sidequests in ARR and how, outside of the shitty moogle quests in HW, some of the quest objectives in HW changed? It didn't feel as much like busywork, but then again... I did some of my sidequests while in a party and commented on some of the lore that got slightly realized in the sidequest. The moogle quests in HW are unforgivable though. they're terrible and I'm glad they tweaked them or said they won't do something like that again. No one liked them.

I'm sorry. I typed a lot of that last night while I was sleepy and watching a stream about puppies and forgot the most basic parts:

I think for the most part, while learning, you can get away with just using the colours in the enemy list (red square, orange triangle, yellow triangle, green circle) while you're a tank as long as you're switching targets and monitoring everyone that way. Like you want it to be this for you. That's perfectly fine and I run with a few tanks who just use those colours and they have a good time tanking.

r9IB5g5.png

This is good. Everything is a red square and everything is on you.

As for the party list and the numbers with it, I as ninja or healer feel like it's good simply because I know when I should let up or when I should toss someone an enmity skill. Mostly late endgame tanks seem to use it because that way they can manage their threat better, but for the most part from what I hear a lot of tanks in casual content or early game use the colour system which is fine. I know they tweaked the party list just because it's easier for colourblind folks to use it.

Basically:

J1QQarC.png

This is perfect. This is from the healer's side (or any other party member's side who isn't a tank). A green square or a yellow triangle on the healer or DPS's perspective is okay and you're doing your job as long as you have it red. In terms of the party list:
- the "A" and red filled up bar indicates that Noi is the main tank and the main thing that the enemy is hitting him only (as long as he's facing it away from the party)
- Corvo's meter (the yellow bar with "2" beside it) is filling up but it's okay as long as the tank's using enmity skills. Dragoons have no enmity skills so they have to either let up or the tank needs to swap to tank stance/use their enmity combo more to alleviate that issue. Warriors are a special case so lol.
- my meter (the barely filled bar with "3" beside it) is perfect. I'm barely threatening to overtake the tank even though I'm in cleric stance and helping with damage dealing.
- my fairy (Eos)'s meter is 4(!!!!!) so she's barely generating aggro too. Because I control my fairy manually, they don't blow all of their skills at once to generate all of the aggro in the world.

zGnwANM.png

This is baaaaaad. This is in a 24-person raid (24 party members separated into three alliances, with three tanks in total in the entire raid). Look at my icon; it's red. That means I'm a DPS. Look at the tank's icon, which is blue. Consider:
- I have the A, yellow bar and all. This means that out of the entire alliance, I'm the one who's tanking the enemy. This is indicated by the red square in the enemy list. This is not so good because I'm a squishy ninja and ow that one attack took me down to 4000 HP.
- My tank has "1" beside him. This means that he's a tank fighting me for aggro since his bar is filled too and is red, and can definitely jump ahead to "A" if he actually used Provoke to put him one point ahead of me. Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Provoke > Rage of Halone. But he won't. Then I cry because I don't have Shadewalker up.
- There is no "2" in this list because my tank and I are neck and neck in enmity generation.
- don't let this happen to you! If you go into an instance as a tank, please be prepared to tank if needed!

Otherwise just using the Red Squares as an indicator in the enemy list is just fine. I just pay attention to the bars because I technically have to pay attention to EVERYTHING.

Oh another thing. As a healer I don't start healing the tank unless they're either
1: 60% down on their HP or 50% if they're using their cooldowns
2: get hit by a tankbuster and I have to mitigate before the attack happens and top off after the attack happens
3: are super darn squishy because their equipment is bad and I have to start healing them when they get just 80% full.

Don't get antsy if your HP meter isn't filled 100% of the time. I know some tanks do (heck some DPS do), but I'd honestly rather help deal damage over healing a tank who's 70-90% full and heal when they're below that or when I see a tankbuster coming if I know the tank can handle it. A faster pull means less damage dealt to the party overall. A lot of endgame healers subscribe to that notion, so please don't let that throw you off.

I ran a level 60 dungeon the other day with a tank who didn't use their cooldowns so I elected to heal them more often than deal damage. So it's just a situational thing. I'd obviously heal more in raid or trial, but regular dungeons don't always force you to do it.

If you can afford it, absolutely do so. Being part of an FC and activel talking with people who play the game will greatly augment your time spent playing it. It's a social game after all.
Wow a wild Noi appears, what the heck!

I completely agree with this. If Noi didn't get me to play on the same server as he does (and then a few people on GAF and other boards joined us on the same server or were already there) I would have felt really lonely and I probably would've dropped the game. A server transfer is expensive (like 18 bucks) but if you get to play with other people you know and join their FC you'll likely have a way better experience. 90% of my time is spent doing stuff with other people or for other people (ie: I craft stuff for other people lol), and I ended up enjoying my time with the game a lot. I've probably taken nearly 11k pics by now and I've only been playing for 2 years. Most of those pics are like... group photos or pics with this poopoohead.

So I won't deny it: I enjoy XIV more because I get to play with other people I know and joke around and do stupid shit with them. If I examined the game with a critical eye like I did above, I'd probably say ARR drags for most people until a certain point, or it needs to put some stuff more upfront. Or its global cooldown needs to be a little faster which is why I play Ninja or Monk. Or they need a glamour (transmog) book real bad + extra inventory space (which we're getting). The recent boss in the recent raid has an unnecessary portion which will probably be trivialized when people gear up. And other stuff.

But I really dig the game because I love being able to talk about it with people or hanging around people. Like my group is actually spread out across the world. One of us is in Japan (well, two soon), another of us is in the Caribbean, some of us are in the States, two of us are Canadian, one of us is in Europe, etc. And I got to know a few people a lot better than I originally did because I play with these guys quite often. So if you can transfer to play with people you actually know, I'd say go ahead.

jb1234

The Titan portion of the game is usually a lull to many players so I don't blame you for feeling how you do about it. Tanking Titan in general is pretty boring too cuz you just kinda stand there while the DPS and Healers do mechanics. Titan Extreme has /some/ stuff for the main tank to do but that mostly amounts to taking a tankbuster to the face and making sure you don't fall off the platform. It's generally a boring fight if you're not healing or acting as off-tank in extreme, or doing most of the damage dealing work. I've done all three roles and I generally prefer damage dealing in Titan.

It was just bizarre to me that I was preparing this feast while Titan was rampaging about. And then when the five admitted they were really just testing me (sorta), I was like, "FUCK YOU." :p

What spiced the battle up a little bit is that the DPSs were taken out (they blamed lag) and for the last quarter of his health bar, it was just me and the healer. That was fun. :p But still, I was basically sitting there and hacking away at him. I didn't even know he had all those other abilities.

The game generally picks up in Coerthas but, and I had this conversation yesterday, I don't feel like ARR's story picks up until 2.3 or 2.4. I personally love Heavensward, FF4 and FF6 references and all (lol running jokes), but I can't really get down with the majority of ARR's story because the pacing is kinda off? I appreciate the quests in hindsight because I can say "I remember that guy!" or "man that guy was a small fry before but now he's the big kahuna" or something or "man this tiny little quest contributed a lot to the game's lore", but the quest design in ARR is mostly done because I think they were just trying to make a game and get it done while setting a framework in for future content. It simply pales in comparison to current content in retrospect. I was rewatching all of the patch trailers with Noi the other night, and it's amazing how BIG AND FAT patch 2.1 was. So much content and Quality of Life shit like housing and pvp and stuff. So it's not really a surprise to me that people don't dig ARR off the bat. I didn't, and I don't particularly like overselling the ARR portion of the game to folks. But I love Heavensward so much. The characters are great, the dungeons are great, the music's better... and I can owe part of that to playing with other folks who have similar goals.

It's not a terrible story or anything. For instance, it doesn't have any of the overplayed anime goofiness than made me hate World of FF and unlike XV, it's largely coherent. There just isn't a great deal of it because most of the content is padded out with the fetch and kill quests. I'm definitely looking forward to Heavensward's content.

I'm sorry. I typed a lot of that last night while I was sleepy and watching a stream about puppies and forgot the most basic parts

It's all good, haha! I think I get it now! The numbers to the far left are actually the order of people affected by aggro! So if I'm a tank, A is what I want and everyone else needs to be under that. I imagine that healers need to be the highest number possible.

Your Alliance C pic is a little intimidating because there's just one tank in a party of eight. That's a lot of pressure!

I've gotten better at using cooldowns at specific times, especially the one that boosts healing when I sense healers need the help.

I completely agree with this. If Noi didn't get me to play on the same server as he does (and then a few people on GAF and other boards joined us on the same server or were already there) I would have felt really lonely and I probably would've dropped the game. A server transfer is expensive (like 18 bucks) but if you get to play with other people you know and join their FC you'll likely have a way better experience. 90% of my time is spent doing stuff with other people or for other people (ie: I craft stuff for other people lol), and I ended up enjoying my time with the game a lot. I've probably taken nearly 11k pics by now and I've only been playing for 2 years. Most of those pics are like... group photos or pics with this poopoohead.

I'm currently on Leviathan but they're on Ultros. Since I actually only know one person in this particular group, it would be a bunch of getting to know new people. Still puts me in a better position than I am now, where I have no one at all to play with. Just have to decide whether I'm willing to spend that money.

I beat FF3 for the first time, my first main goal of this Anniversary frenzy. I'm glad I can finally say I beat it after having the DS version all the way to the final boss before losing the game about 5 years ago. The next goal is beating FF6 for the first time after having THAT all the way to the end of WoR. Considering my GAF handle, this is a blemish that needs to be corrected.

Having finished XV and TLG, I'm now digging back into VI Brave New World.

As many have noted, the re-translation isn't great (though not horrible -- many of the best lines are left untouched (e.g., "And you're a king crab!").

The rebalance is interesting. Many of the fodder enemies can do significant damage now, often w/ death-triggered super attacks. It seems that many enemies trigger this attack only when killed w/ a certain type of attack (e.g., physical or magic), so part of playing in a new area is figuring out who to kill which enemy with to avoid these. That coupled w/ the increased HP and just general damage boost for enemies means that I've had to think more carefully about party composition and equipment. This is great, as the first half of the game includes many situations where you have to decide who to team up w/ whom (defense of Narshe) or who to bring and who to leave (e.g., going to search for Terra).

I've just taken the castle under the mountains to look for Terra, and brought Celes, Locke, and Edgar (of course I originally brought Sabin for the Figaro scenes, but then dropped him back at Narshe so I could pick up Shadow). Outside of Jidoor, I've actually stopped to level and grind some GP for equipment, as my team is a little too fragile.

Edgar's physical tools (e.g., drill) no longer ignore row, so if you really want to pump his damage, he needs to be up front. Alternatively, he can dragoon from the back row, and tweaks (stat bonuses with dragoon relic and spears) make him quite nasty if going this route.

Celes gets Ice 2 at level 12, which is a real heavy hitter at this point. Also, enemies cast enough magic to make runic worthwhile and a useful way to charge up MP in the field.

Locke dual wielding boomerang and half moon from the back row is quite good, and w/ haste shoes and dodge-boosting equipment he becomes fairly durable.

Shadow is squishy, no doubt -- great dodge, but low HP. Also, w/ only katana and daggers, if you want to back row him you have to spend a LOT of gp on shuriken and the like. Also, I've still not seen an Interceptor counter, which is strange. I note too that they seem to have greatly tweaked the likelihood of an inn flashback w/ Shadow. I've had three in the last hour!

The most surprising and welcome thing about this mod for me has been the way my shifts in play behavior have made the game's plot feel fresh again. I've played VI 20 some times probably, and know it like the back of my hand. Having to reconsider party makeup and build, having to stop and grind, this throws me out of my established patterns just enough to reignite the excitement of the plot. Instead of plowing right through to get Terra, I'm taking my time, talking to townspeople, fighting, and thinking about my party's next steps. And it emphasizes for me how great this game's narrative and pacing are.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Going to replay FFIX, even though I have a fairly progressed save, it's been like 5+ months since I last touched it.

As part of my replay, I may try an unconventional party. Freya, Quina, Eiko, (Undecided).

My past play throughs were Zidane, Steiner, Vivi and Garnet. Pretty plain and vanilla.

Ultratech

I'm thinking of probably starting XIII-2 before the end of the month.

Mostly because I'm kinda itching for another RPG to play.

Should be a decent start to this year.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
So I have just finished Lightning Returns. I kind of liked the general idea of the game, but only crap that ending is everything that is wrong with the FF13 saga in one 10 minutes cutscene:

- Ok, we know that you have to rescue Serah. Stop saying it every line.
- Noel yoloing out of nowhere to try to save Yeul again, and they end up reunited thanks to fucking Caius of all people, the guy responsible for destroying everything.
- Snow not dying at the end of the Yusnaan quest because... love and miracles? And then coming out of nowhere to punch the clavis to oblivion...
- Supersaian of friendship at the end with eidolons and all the pals.
- Everyone just chilling at the end, cracking jokes. Sazh just popping out of the soul thing with his son, Snow being like: "Always late, old man, hahaha". You know, just casually FLOATING IN SPACE AFTER KILLING A GOD.

This trilogy man...

So I have just finished Lightning Returns. I kind of liked the general idea of the game, but only crap that ending is everything that is wrong with the FF13 saga in one 10 minutes cutscene:

- Ok, we know that you have to rescue Serah. Stop saying it every line.
- Noel yoloing out of nowhere to try to save Yeul again, and they end up reunited thanks to fucking Caius of all people, the guy responsible for destroying everything.
- Snow not dying at the end of the Yusnaan quest because... love and miracles? And then coming out of nowhere to punch the clavis to oblivion...
- Supersaian of friendship at the end with eidolons and all the pals.
- Everyone just chilling at the end, cracking jokes. Sazh just popping out of the soul thing with his son, Snow being like: "Always late, old man, hahaha". You know, just casually FLOATING IN SPACE AFTER KILLING A GOD.

This trilogy man...
Ya gotta love it right lol

RDreamer

Aaaaaaaaaalmost finished with World of Final Fantasy. I'm like 45 hours in. Still really liking it, though kind of antsy to get it finished. I really liked all the intervention stuff with the FF cameos. They really throw a ton of that at you at the end.

And the fiance and me got another year through FF Crystal Chronicles. I was thinking as we played that it would be really cool to do something similar on Switch. Kinda hope SE does it, but doubt it'll happen.

How are the other Crystal Chronicles games? None of them are really multiplayer, right?

Rizzi

Aaaaaaaaaalmost finished with World of Final Fantasy. I'm like 45 hours in. Still really liking it, though kind of antsy to get it finished. I really liked all the intervention stuff with the FF cameos. They really throw a ton of that at you at the end.

And the fiance and me got another year through FF Crystal Chronicles. I was thinking as we played that it would be really cool to do something similar on Switch. Kinda hope SE does it, but doubt it'll happen.

How are the other Crystal Chronicles games? None of them are really multiplayer, right?

I'm still cranky that I had to restart WoFF. That game starts slow.

Nairume

Banned
I get the feeling that at least a fifth of my final playtime for this run of FF3 is going to be spent sitting in the first room of Bahamut's cave grinding away.

Finally storming the final dungeon gauntlet for real is going to feel really earned.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I get the feeling that at least a fifth of my final playtime for this run of FF3 is going to be spent sitting in the first room of Bahamut's cave grinding away.

Finally storming the final dungeon gauntlet for real is going to feel really earned.

Grinding in a jrpg listening to a podcast can be comfy.

Nairume

Banned
And Final Fantasy 3 is beaten.

I definitely came away from it with a better opinion of the game from when I started, but yeesh that end game was nuts. Were it not for save states on the mini, I would have had to start back from the tower again since I didn't realize you had to do all the dark crystals to fight the Cloud.

jb1234

FFXIV is starting to get really grindy and it's pissing me off. The first 30 or so levels of the game are paced very well, only needing to do MSQs to advance your levels. Well, past that, those quests aren't enough and I'm finding myself having to do a lot of boring sidequests and roulettes to keep things moving. This evening, I grinded 150,000 XP, did four MSQs and then found myself needing another 200,000 XP to get to level 41. It's frustrating because I'm finding this part of the story somewhat interesting and I don't like having to indulge in stuff I've done countless times before.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
FFXIV is starting to get really grindy and it's pissing me off. The first 30 or so levels of the game are paced very well, only needing to do MSQs to advance your levels. Well, past that, those quests aren't enough and I'm finding myself having to do a lot of boring sidequests and roulettes to keep things moving. This evening, I grinded 150,000 XP, did four MSQs and then found myself needing another 200,000 XP to get to level 41. It's frustrating because I'm finding this part of the story somewhat interesting and I don't like having to indulge in stuff I've done countless times before.

There is such an absurd amount of content at this point in the MSQ alone that you shouldn't have to grind really. I never felt I had to at least to reach level cap, and this was long before Heavensward was a thing. Though the story does hit a slump in the mid vanilla campaign, but so long as you just keep an eye out for doing sidequests en route to the next MSQ objective, you shouldn't be having much issue? Are you doing the dungeon dailies also? I really have not once actively found myself trying to grind xp ever.

Hi, GAF, quick query - after finally stopping and starting for years, I'd made it my goal for 2017 to finally play FFT. I'd previously played (well, started multiple times) the physical PSP version without any issues in the cutscenes. With the digital version on my Vita, the opening cutscenes have a ton of stutter and lag. It's frustrating, as the cutscenes are absolutely fantastic. I can't figure out if it's an issue for me specifically, or if it's a problem that effects everyone. I couldn't really find anything on Google.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Wait really? IV is fine, but I don't think I'd recommend it very highly. If anything, I'd recommend VI or VII.
Yeah same here. IV is the sort of game that you think is the best fucking thing ever. . . If you were like 12 when you first played it. V greatly outshines it gameplay-wise and VI greatly outshines it story-wise.

B.K.

That's where I am too. I do two or three quests and then have to go do stuff to level up. I'm starting to get a bit burned out on the main story, anyway. There's way too much bloat and filler in the Realm Reborn story. They could easily cut half the quests and not have any effect to the story. Right now, I'm just going around unlocking features and doing some side stuff to get experience and levels. I still need to buy Heavensward, so I can get past floor 40 in Palace of the Dead and grind some levels there.

Aquova

I'm playing through FFIII right now, and while I really like the job system and gameplay as a whole, the story is really really weak. They tell you you're the heroes of light, but that's it. I'm nearing the 3rd crystal and I don't know who the main villain is, or if there even is one. I don't know what the end goal or quest is, heck I didn't know that
the heroes were on a floating continent until they left it.
I don't need to have the story laid out before me, but they are really not revealing much.

I'm playing through FFIII right now, and while I really like the job system and gameplay as a whole, the story is really really weak. They tell you you're the heroes of light, but that's it. I'm nearing the 3rd crystal and I don't know who the main villain is, or if there even is one. I don't know what the end goal or quest is, heck I didn't know that
the heroes were on a floating continent until they left it.
I don't need to have the story laid out before me, but they are really not revealing much.
I think the villain's motive and identity was pretty interesting actually. Definitely an underrated one in the series imo. Keep at it because you will find out eventually.

Top Bottom