• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

SOLDIER

Now that the SNES Classic has been unlocked, I'm finally enjoying a version of FFV that doesn't look like ass and doesn't have a crappy translation.

Really enjoy the Job system, and wish I could have gotten this working when the Job Fiesta was going. The idea is that you have to stick with a randomized Job party setup, right?

I thought the classic had VI on it, not V, but yeah, you're assigned a random job party. You can get really random and run the risk of getting repeat jobs. I ended up with a bad combination because I could never beat the final boss with my team. On my first playthrough with a regular one I beat the final boss with all Mimes and Freelancers.

Right now I just got back to the surface in IV and supposed to be going back to Baron.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I thought the classic had VI on it, not V, but yeah, you're assigned a random job party. You can get really random and run the risk of getting repeat jobs. I ended up with a bad combination because I could never beat the final boss with my team. On my first playthrough with a regular one I beat the final boss with all Mimes and Freelancers.

Right now I just got back to the surface in IV and supposed to be going back to Baron.

I think they hacked it to put in their own custom ROMs. Probably the fan translated SNES version of FFV.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Let's see... For this year, I've completed:

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy XII
3. Final Fantasy X
4. Final Fantasy VI

Still thinking what I can replay... Maybe V, but then again, I'm not a fan of V.

FFIV needs a map for the overworld. It's hard trying to find a specific location on this map.

Let's see... For this year, I've completed:

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy XII
3. Final Fantasy X
4. Final Fantasy VI

Still thinking what I can replay... Maybe V, but then again, I'm not a fan of V.

For me so far all I've played is VIII. Currently working on IV. Just got the Falcon so I still have a little ways to go. It's looking like I won't be able to get to the rest of the series minus the MMOs by the end of the year. I still got I, II, III (I hate that last dungeon so I'm skipping that too), V (but might skip since I did Fiesta last year), VI, VII, IX, X, X-2, XII, XIII, and Tactics.

SilverArrow20XX

I didn't even really mean to play so many FF games this year. It just sort of happened.

FFVII
FFX
FFX-2
FFIX

As well as keeping up with XIV and XV updates of course.

I'll also be playing XII sometime before Christmas too. Certainly the most FF I've played in a single year in a long time.

Fou-Lu

I just started playing Crisis Core which I have played a bit before and watched other people play, but not beaten myself. I am completely in love with the battle system. Who cares if Genesis is a tool, this is so fun to play.

Have completed AAR and Heavensward in this last three months, does that count as two game? :V

Hoping there's another discount on FFT mobile soon, I've got an itch to play it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Now that I've secured the SNES mini I'm going to reopen my internal debate about playing FF III (SNES) versus FF VI Advance. It's a pretty even list of pros and cons.

SNES

Better Font
Better Music

GBA

I like the additional content
I like the new script
Portability

I think I'll play it on the SNES mini. I do have a portable SNES clone as well as the SNES cart but no, this is what I'm going to do. I've also got a nearly complete FF VII save on my old PS3 that I'll move to the Vita and finish off this year. While I didn't get to VIII-XII this year I'm pretty happy having beaten 1-5 from February to August (and I beat FF V six times this year) and doing VI and VII.

B.K.

Have completed AAR and Heavensward in this last three months, does that count as two game? :V

Not really. Final Fantasy XIV has a long arcing story. I tend to think of it in terms of the PS1 games.

1.0 is disc 1.
2.0 is disc 2.
3.0 is disc 3.
4.0 is disc 4.

SilverArrow20XX

Not really. Final Fantasy XIV has a long arcing story. I tend to think of it in terms of the PS1 games.

1.0 is disc 1.
2.0 is disc 2.
3.0 is disc 3.
4.0 is disc 4.

Naw. Each expansion has its own complete story arc. The content quantity is also comparable to an offline FF game. They're more like sequels that continue a bigger plot. Like those old James Bond movies with Specter. You knew there was a leader of Spectre that Bond would have to deal with later, but he's not directly tied to the plot of Thunderball for example. The Garleans are Spectre and the expansions are all different Bond films.

Lynx_7

After flip-flopping a little bit between the NES and GBA versions of FF II, I think I finally settled on NES. I know the PSX remake is basically the same but better, but the NES version plays well enough and has some old school charm to it. Besides it'll also be easier to transition to III that way. Just got the canoe.

Which weapon should I choose for Maria? Bow seems really sucky so far.

SilverArrow20XX

After flip-flopping a little bit between the NES and GBA versions of FF II, I think I finally settled on NES. I know the PSX remake is basically the same but better, but the NES version plays well enough and has some old school charm to it. Besides it'll also be easier to transition to III that way. Just got the canoe.

Which weapon should I choose for Maria? Bow seems really sucky so far.

It becomes better the more you use it. It's not as good at damage as swords and axes of course, but it lets you have Maria in the back row acting as a healer. It's also good later in the game when some encounters have dangerous back row enemies that are good to take out first. You'll be hitting so hard with your other melee guys later that the loss in DPS isn't a problem, and in boss fights you'll be healing and buffing with her every turn anyway.

JayBabay

This year I've played through:

FF4 (second time)

FFXII (second time)

and now FFVI (third time), the much maligned Steam version at that! I've added the mods to it and it's really not bad with the scanlines and vibrant reshade. The main gripe would be the battle UI, I just finished the phantom train so we'll see how patient I can be without the benefit of Fast Forward when it comes to grinding.

Last year I did VII (third time), X (second time) and XV.

I might be able to squeeze out IX if the Holidays aren't too busy. Gotta make way for Xenoblade 2 if it turns out to be good.

Lynx_7

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but boy, these dungeons in II are a war of attrition. My resources were pretty much depleted after I was done with the Snow Cave, which I had to beat in 2 visits. Normally this'd be something I actually enjoy, but between having to fight the same 9 goblins every time I need to go back to the city, attacks randomly missing enemies on the front row, the Run command never.fucking.working and just the general slowness of it all... it gets a tiny teensy ittle bit tedious is what I'm saying. :p

I don't even know what I'm doing with my characters right now. I gave Firion Fire as his primary spell, and then Life and an Ice spell I had lying around, Maria is my magic fodder who has pretty much everything under the sun (with a focus on Ice, and Bolt is there too I guess), and Guy has Fire because it was sitting in my inventory lonely and sad so why not. It's still kind of fun and better than people give it credit for (so far I still prefer it over XIII), but it would be a lot better if I had a way to skip all the world map fodder at this point.

SilverArrow20XX

Yeah, some of those problems like the slowness and the fleeing and accuracy problems are fixed in the remakes. The encounters and dungeon designs are all the same though. There's a reason nobody recommends the NES version. As you said though, despite those problems it's still pretty good for its time and despite its problems I still think it's pound for pound a stronger game than XIII and XV. With the improvements in the remakes it's actually a favorite of mine. Easily the most underrated title in the main series with so many people waving it off as garbage.

You're in for a treat with the improvements III makes over the NES version of II though. The battle system is MUCH faster and the gameplay is just a huge step forward all around. It does have some aggravating progression decisions that I disliked though. Over reliance on gimmicks like mini. Dungeons specifically designed for certain jobs, forcing you to change. Gear for some earlier jobs stops getting carried in later game shops, so you have to use new jobs to be relevant. Things like that. It's why it's my personal least favorite of the first three.

Top Bottom