• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Alucard

Banned
Which Final Fantasy have all of you replayed the most? I think my most replayed is probably VII, but I have also played the first game numerous times. If we count spin-offs I have played Crystal Chronicles A LOT.

Definitely FFVII for me. Put in over 250 hours into that game on like three separate playthroughs.

Ultratech

Which Final Fantasy have all of you replayed the most? I think my most replayed is probably VII, but I have also played the first game numerous times. If we count spin-offs I have played Crystal Chronicles A LOT.

Hmm...hard to say. I've beaten the first couple of games (I-V) several times each.

If I had to guess, probably V because of the Fiesta, but the other games wouldn't be that far behind.

Everything after that I've only beat once or twice.

Probably 6, since it was my first (back when we still thought it waz 3)

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal

I and IV I've beaten 5 times each over all the different version. 2 of my IV playthroughs were New Game Plus on the DS though. I just needed to see what happened at the end of the final playthrough. I forgot what it was though lol. Some kind of fancy Thank You For Playing screen that wasn't in the other endings.

II I've beaten 4 times and almost a fifth. I got stuck on my first playthrough on the NES after my first FFI playthrough and started over about a year later after my second FFI playthrough.

VII and X I've done 3 playthroughs of.

All the other pre X games I've beaten twice each.

I've only beaten XII, XIII, and XV once.

XI and XIV I've beaten all of the main story content for. Way too much to replay though.

The spinoffs I've mostly only played once other than the Crystal Chronicles DS games that I did NG+ on for the fancy new gear there. Sequels I replay every time I play their main game since they've been out.

sphinx

the piano man
so I finished 10 recently and I have to say, I have never played 12,13 or 15 (11 and 14 are online so that's out of the question) so instead of going with spin-offs, I am thinking about playing those mainline game first. and then the spinoffs.

is that a good Idea?

up next would be XII, which I am absolutely looking forward too.

spin-offs would be FFX-2, FFXIII-2 and FFLR, problem is the XIII trilogy isn't really very well regarded by fans and I don't own a PS3, so far it's not playable on PS4, right?

if we got the XIII trilogy in a disc for PS4, that would be pretty could and would definitely buy it, otherwise no XIII for me.

SilverArrow20XX

so I finished 10 recently and I have to say, I have never played 12,13 or 15 (11 and 14 are online so that's out of the question) so instead of going with spin-offs, I am thinking about playing those mainline game first. and then the spinoffs.

is that a good Idea?

up next would be XII, which I am absolutely looking forward too.

spin-offs would be FFX-2, FFXIII-2 and FFLR, problem is the XIII trilogy isn't really very well regarded by fans and I don't own a PS3, so far it's not playable on PS4, right?

if we got the XIII trilogy in a disc for PS4, that would be pretty could and would definitely buy it, otherwise no XIII for me.

I'd say the it's pretty likely we'll see a XIII Trilogy HD on PS4 at some point, so I'd just wait for that. Might be a while though. I was also positive we'd have XII HD shortly after X HD came out and it took like 3 years.

X-2 is a really fun game. It's super campy, but if you're like me and like that kind of cheesy stuff it's quite enjoyable. It's important you do the sifequests too since they're a major part of the main story. It will seem to be gaping with plot holes if you don't.

Playing XII next is a great idea though. Especially if you want a break from Spira. With XV still getting QOL improvements and story updates every few months, there's really no sense in starting it now. Might as well wait until it's done.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
8353 screenshots whittled down to 2555 posted in this thread (+ like 5 bonus pics).

Final playtime was like 68:20:05. My fastest playthrough of the game was 13:39:05 so divide 'em up an see I coulda played through it 5 times in that amount of time! Think I've learned even more about FF7 now that I've done such a super thorough playthrough.

Things I've never done before but now have:
- all Fort Condor battles
- seeing loads an loads of newly refreshed npc dialogue after many major events
- came to understand how darn good Mr Meows is
- recruited the optionals with someone other than What
- gotten the whole lowdown on the Black Materia in proper sequential order

Well-timed 20th anniversary NA-release ending to the playthrough, Lindsay. Have to admit that I expected you to give-up posting it all at some point. Very happy to see those expectations completely pulverised. Top stuff!
Ack! I'd never give up!

Lindsay were you planning on beating it on that exact day?
I started this "lp" Jan. 31st! There was at no point any time I thought I'd still be on it VII months later... x.x; Sooo no no no no! Didn't know how many updates I had left until just the beginning of the past week really! An with the update every other day schedule I got on from mid-June until around the end of August it just kinda worked out that way.

I hope your next playthrough is Legend of Dragoon. Haha.
I dun own that an haven't heard any good things about it. I can't be goaded into playing something bad!

PixelatedBookake

Okay so I've been playing through FFX for the first time and I just got to the point were Auron joins the party. Could someone tell me without spoiling future events how some of these events make sense. Auron and Tidas are said to have been transported 1000 years in the future by the Sin portal. Then Wakka and Yuna say that Jecht was Braska's guardian 10 years ago and Tidas says that 10 years ago was when his father left. And then Auron says that was when he began to look after Tidas in Zanarkand. How does that make sense if they were sent 1000 in the future to Spira? Was this explained?

Fou-Lu

He is supposed to be mysterious. I cannot tell you how it all works out without spoiling future events. Just keep playing.

yunbuns

X-2. I have a save that's like 200+ hours on the PS2. I'm guessing it's from doing New Game+ a lot.

SilverArrow20XX

Okay so I've been playing through FFX for the first time and I just got to the point were Auron joins the party. Could someone tell me without spoiling future events how some of these events make sense. Auron and Tidas are said to have been transported 1000 years in the future by the Sin portal. Then Wakka and Yuna say that Jecht was Braska's guardian 10 years ago and Tidas says that 10 years ago was when his father left. And then Auron says that was when he began to look after Tidas in Zanarkand. How does that make sense if they were sent 1000 in the future to Spira? Was this explained?

Just a hint. Zanarkand was destroyed 1000 years ago, and yet everybody's account of time for the past 10 years matches up. Something is not as it seems.

Made a detailed, but very spoilery synopsis of it here if you still have questions after beating it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248121794&postcount=2617

Alucard

Banned
Finished FFII today. Now that I have the complete view, it's easy to see why this is probably the least-loved game in the franchise. The dungeon design is often annoying, the trap rooms are just an awful design idea, the levelling system is a little weird, and the characters are pretty flat despite having potential at the start of the game.

That said, the story was pretty cool despite the out-of-nowhere involvement of LITERAL HELL, and we get introduced to the chocobo, even if it's for just one part of the game. The music is not super memorable, but there are some standout tracks, and I really liked the quality of the sound effects in the GBA version. The big enemy sprites were also quite nice, and having a home base that you return to is a neat idea too.

Overall, this is a pretty unique FF, but given the choice between playing it and almost any other FF...I'd probably choose almost any other FF.

Guy know beaver. Never forget.

SilverArrow20XX

Tried to start playing The Last Story today. Not technically Final Fantasy, but close enough to post here. I've had it since release but never got around to it. Don't want to play it on my Wii U since I'd rather use a corded controller. I figured I'd just set up my Wii and use that with a GCN controller. Then I realize the Wii doesn't have an HDMI port and my new TV doesn't support component. So I figure, what the hell, I'll download that Dolphin emulator and play it with my Xbone controller, only to find out Wii discs can't be read by normal disc drives.

I might just play it with the Wiimote. I hate playing long type games with it though since I gotta change the batteries every 5 hours.

Alucard

Banned
Tried to start playing The Last Story today. Not technically Final Fantasy, but close enough to post here. I've had it since release but never got around to it. Don't want to play it on my Wii U since I'd rather use a corded controller. I figured I'd just set up my Wii and use that with a GCN controller. Then I realize the Wii doesn't have an HDMI port and my new TV doesn't support component. So I figure, what the hell, I'll download that Dolphin emulator and play it with my Xbone controller, only to find out Wii discs can't be read by normal disc drives.

I might just play it with the Wiimote. I hate playing long type games with it though since I gotta change the batteries every 5 hours.

One of the last games I played that I truly loved. The character dialogue and performances are sooooo good. And the game is a ton of fun and has a hummable and relaxing main hub town theme. And that main theme! So good. Also loved the battle system. It's just a super fun game to play IMO.

SilverArrow20XX

The writing in FFXII is worse than I remembered. If this is better than FFXIII, it's not by much.

I really wanted to like this game.

Yeah, the main story's pretty weak. I think the side quests and wealth of exploration and background lore easily put it ahead of XIII though.

In other news, FFXI crashed and suddenly my password for my s-e account wouldn't work. I changed it and decided that it might be a good idea to change the email associated with my acct to something more secure, but apparently I have to send myself another email to change it? And when I do it says that the email has "already been sent - please change it within 24 hours" or something. What? Why is this so difficult?

Yeah, the main story's pretty weak. I think the side quests and wealth of exploration and background lore easily put it ahead of XIII though.

I do think it's better as a game.

That's weird, XII is known for the best writing in the series and I have to say I agree that it is.

It has a great localization. It has a pretty good script. But it's vacuous. The stretch from the Stillshrine of Miriam to Archades seems to be incoherent. The game doesn't seem to know why the characters make the trip in the first place. Maybe "Nethicite is bad. We should go to Archades to investigate" is something the characters all telepathically communicated amongst themselves as they made a journey. Not that it works. Along the way a few scenes seem to play out as if Ashe has an ulterior motive. "Why Archades?" Balthier confronts Ashe with on the Phon Coast. Good question. Yes, we get that she wants power and she's thinking of using it. But why are the characters marching up there in the first place? When the characters finally get to Archades, gritting and bearing their teeth at Cid because ???, Cid and Venat decide to "test" Ashe, because the game apparently needed a conflict to mark the end of a pointless trek to nowhere. Then he fucks off to Giruvegan and the characters curse him, silently thanking him under their breath for moving the story forward again and telling Ashe about a place where she can get the nuclear weapons she desires.

I guess a journey to the evil empire might make sense in a story about a queen on a journey to take back her kingdom. FFXII is that story most of the time. Maybe.

PixelatedBookake

Anyone know if the Final Fantasy Tactics Android port is any good? I'd been putting off buying it for awhile but have been looking for something for my s8+ as of late.

It has a great localization. It has a pretty good script. But it's vacuous. The stretch from the Stillshrine of Miriam to Archades seems to be incoherent. The game doesn't seem to know why the characters make the trip in the first place. Maybe "Nethicite is bad. We should go to Archades to investigate" is something the characters all telepathically communicated amongst themselves as they made a journey. Not that it works. Along the way a few scenes seem to play out as if Ashe has an ulterior motive. "Why Archades?" Balthier confronts Ashe with on the Phon Coast. Good question. Yes, we get that she wants power and she's thinking of using it. But why are the characters marching up there in the first place? When the characters finally get to Archades, gritting and bearing their teeth at Cid because ???, Cid and Venat decide to "test" Ashe, because the game apparently needed a conflict to mark the end of a pointless trek to nowhere. Then he fucks off to Giruvegan and the characters curse him, silently thanking him under their breath for moving the story forward again and telling Ashe about a place where she can get the nuclear weapons she desires.

I guess a journey to the evil empire might make sense in a story about a queen on a journey to take back her kingdom. FFXII is that story most of the time. Maybe.

I don't think the story is good, just the writing.

SilverArrow20XX

Anyone know if the Final Fantasy Tactics Android port is any good? I'd been putting off buying it for awhile but have been looking for something for my s8+ as of late.

Haven't played that version myself, but I've heard it's pretty good. It's like the PSP version without any of the spell slowdown issues.

duckroll

The port itself is pretty good. I played through the entire game on a Sony Xperia Z3C earlier this year. In terms of graphics, UI, and control it performs great on the phone. The only things I have to warn you about would be that a) there is no cloud save function on the Android version, so you cannot easily transfer progress to another phone. I'm on an Xperia X now and could never figure out how to move my save. RIP. b) The game does seem to have crash issues. I'm not sure if there are just crash bugs or if it's a memory issue, but over the course of 30+ hours for the entire game and all the sidequests, I encountered maybe 5 hard crashes. The game doesn't autosave either, so that usually means lost of progress if you're not expecting it to crash while grinding jobs or something.

fvng

Nice! I'm glad you liked it. I played through it twice back-to-back. Takes a lot for an RPG to get me to do that, but FFIII had the charm.

i definitely understand why you would play it twice back to back, maybe a ps4 release with a platinum trophy would be a nice way to pull me back in. love it

SilverArrow20XX

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-game-app-ends-net-service-in-october/.120947

Just happened on this a little while ago. Looks like that mobile Final Fantasy Legends II that never made it out of Japan is ending its service and getting a standalone version sometime after November with no micro transactions. I assume this means no gacha BS. Makes me wonder if games like Brave Exvius will get similar treatment in the future to preserve the stories as more traditional FF games after their services end.

Alucard

Banned
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-game-app-ends-net-service-in-october/.120947

Just happened on this a little while ago. Looks like that mobile Final Fantasy Legends II that never made it out of Japan is ending its service and getting a standalone version sometime after November with no micro transactions. I assume this means no gacha BS. Makes me wonder if games like Brave Exvius will get similar treatment in the future to preserve the stories as more traditional FF games after their services end.

I was enjoying Brave Exvius until it got super microtransactiony in the early going.

Just got Cecil converted into a Paladin. I'm slowly getting through this. I hope to beat this game before the end of the month. I still want to go through the rest of the series.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I should not have stopped playing V. Tried going back to my old save which was many months old and have no idea what I was doing or where I was going lol

You should know that's always awkward to do. Unless it's something obvious like the beginning or the end of the game I would just start back at the beginning.

SilverArrow20XX

M7Op3OC.jpg

Got the FFIX platinum yesterday. All I have left is FFXII and XIV as far as FF Platinums go. I want to try and get them all before Dissidia comes out so that I can say I have them all, but I don't know if I can make it with the leve allowances in XIV.

FF Platinums
VII
IX
X
X-2
XIII
XIII-2
Lightning Returns
XV
Type-0
World of Final Fantasy
Adventures of Mana (Final Fantasy Adventure, still has FF in the title in Japan, so it counts)

Fou-Lu

Nice job! I don't have the platinum in a single Final Fantasy game. What kind of fan of my favourite game series am I really?

Now that I have a SNES classic, I plan to complete VI for the first time. I tried playing the ps1 version before but those load times.

SilverArrow20XX

I'm kind of itching to replay FFI through VI and VIII again after playing VII, X, X-2 and IX on PS4 all over the last year. Hoping these all come to PS4 at some point. I'm confident VIII will eventually at least. A Platinum for every mainline title would be glorious.

jett

D-Member
I've been Final Fantasy VI through the last couple of days. I'm pretty sure I haven't played it since the SNES days, suddenly felt this need to go through it again. I thought I had sworn off random encounters, I thought I found jrpgs like that unplayable today. But I am having a surprisingly good time with it and with the combat, and I've even had some challenging close class here and there (although I am sadly becoming overleveled enough where battles are becoming more of a cakewalk). It's probably got something to do with how rapid fire quick loading is (obviously), fights go by quickly and it always feels nice to hear the FWOOSH sound effect and the purple fade out as enemies die.

9d1YfGv.png

There's some dumb stuff I hadn't really noticed in my youth. For instance, why would ever use a regular attack with Edgar? :p It's been a nice nostalgia trip so far, there's so much I've forgotten. In it essence it's kind of a silly, simple game when it comes to plot and characters, but it's all extremely endearing. I also really appreciate it as a change of pace from what most RPGs (and games) tend to be these days, i.e. incredibly self-serious. There'salso a really great sense of immediacy, I'm never wasting much time going from A to B, everything feels close-by and I really like it.

About to go into Vector, my Celes is at level 20. I remember the first time I played FF3 on my SNES, for some reason I ended up with a super underleveled Celes when I reached the World of Ruin. I think I was level 14 at most and every enemy in WoR was destroying me. I made rash the decision to restart my game from the beginning, because apparently it was just too hard for 13 year-old me. I really like going through the game again, it was like watching re-runs on TV I think, hah.

p.s. The Opera scene is still an incredibly thing to watch unfold in 2017.

jett

D-Member
1rdjhgY.png

D'goh!

Got a buncha espers and Terra back, now the game's systems are starting to get annoying, with the way you have to learn all kinds of magic.

SilverArrow20XX

Yeah. Those are some of the same complaints I have with the game. There being so many characters, and then the game forces you to use some you may have never leveled. The final dungeon is the worst with that. No passive experience at all, so if you've been using mostly one party, you end up splitting it and have your high level characters solo everything while carrying dead weight.

I don't even remember really using any offensive magic other than Ultima spamming late game after learning dual cast. There's just no incentive to since physical attacks are just as damaging and don't cost MP.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
^^
Was thinking of giving FF3/6 try #4 this time on my baby SNES but those posts above remind me why it'd be a bad idea. That and I know from past experience that I'll lose interest super fast!

Playing VII for the first time. I've absorbed a great deal of the story through osmosis, but interesting to go through it all first-hand, and am enjoying it. The perception one hears is that it has aged a lot, probably due to the prerendered backgrounds. Contrast to OoT, which definitely feels like it was laying the groundwork for how most 3D action games play now (well, it had prerendered backgrounds, but not for main gameplay areas.) Big cinematic PS1 titles like the FFs, REs and MGS1 feel like side developments in the progression of interactivity, though still very important.

A lot of story and gameplay elements certainly feel like further explorations of VI. e.g. Returners -> AVALANCHE, Gestahl -> Shinra, Espers -> Ancients, Magitek -> Mako, learning magic via espers -> via Matera, Celes & Kefka being ex-Gestahl experiments-> Cloud & Sephiroth being ex-SOLDIER. Hardly new insights, but you get the idea.

Snes mini will have me playing ff3 over again.

Can't tell you how many times I've replayed this gem.

I just got Terra free of her mind control. Gonna try to reach the world of ruin at the lowest level possible!

This will hold me over until my pc arrives and I start playing ff14.

Tenrius

Finally finished FFV (GBA)! The final boss was a bit tough compared to everything before that, but was easy to adjust my setup. Fantastic game overall! Definitely up there with the best FF games (aka XII and VI).

Rainy

Banned
I'm about 5 hours into FFIX, playing it for the first time on the PS4, just reached Lindblum. I'm enjoying it a lot!

Final Fantasy IX is the best! I need to replay it this year too. Just realized yesterday that the Steam version came out last year and not this year so I'm due.
Snes mini will have me playing ff3 over again.

Can't tell you how many times I've replayed this gem.

I just got Terra free of her mind control. Gonna try to reach the world of ruin at the lowest level possible!

This will hold me over until my pc arrives and I start playing ff14.

I lost my copy of VI so I need to buy another one and since the SNES mini has a lot more than that I think I'll get it. Where can I buy one?

Top Bottom