• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

I'm tired of getting my ass whooped. Can someone give me a strategy for beating Ultima Weapon? I have Squall at Lvl 100, Rinoa at 52, and Irvine at 53.

do you have any heroes(item)?

Enter fight with low hp with Squall and Zell(preferably), use a hero on each of them, thren spam cancel button until you get a limit break and he should fall quite fast.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Turn your Laguna card into like, a billion heroes drinks. Have Squall in critical HP. Max out his strength by junctioning a bunch of Ultima to it. Spam Renzokuken while invincible to wreck everything in the game including Ultima and Omega.

That's usually what I end up doing by the end since the progression system is so bad.

I don't even have Laguna's card. I've avoided Triple Triad since my 2nd playthrough. I wish I could pull off Invincible Moon, but he barely gives me an opportunity to heal and the one time I got Rinoa to use her limit she does Angelo Cannon.

Yes, I finally beat him! Squall did Lionheart and it took him out. Crazy that's all it took. That one time I was doing well Squall kept on doing Blast Zone instead of Lionheart.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
luYRcoy.jpg

After many hours of grinding... the Gil counter kinda glitched out o.o; But thats besides the point! Ya know rpgs love tossing loads of boss fights one after the other at the end an thats what we're gonna settle!

nxhFI80.jpg

First of all we're gonna stick it to those remaining &%$^%$ Weapons! A 20 minute time limit vs Emerald? Guess they coulda equipped the Underwater materia but... nah. You got this.

Efxrdag.jpg
0qHpJ4I.jpg

You shoots it once and it dies. Okay. Um. Was there supposed ta be more to it than that?

qNkxyR7.jpg

Jealous of how much ass You just kicked, What rides ULTROS into battle against Ruby alone!

xKMznpK.jpg
dmLU1Wg.jpg

What kicked back an let his materia do all the work for him. For 16 minutes he died, final attack+revived, final attack+knights, final attack+knights'd, died again and repeated until Ruby gave up the ghost. So there is a valid use for HP<->MP materia!

5z4RBB6.jpg

Oh boy... ya know things are getting really glitchy when the game stops telling ya which materia leveled up x.x Thats all the Weapons taken care of. I mean, surely there can't be any others yet to be awaken an set loose upon the planet. Nope nopes.

aSLtflw.jpg
Ajp0Clm.jpg

Emerald had the Earth Harp and Ruby the Desert Rose. An now they're being traded to this dude for a master materia set and a gold Chocobo! The bird can live here for all I care, but What's taking that materia! All the magic, summons, an most of the commands in 1 single materia! Would be super cool if there were a way ta get more of these but alas its just a one-off thing.

vMPAoYy.jpg

What's all ready ta head down into the point of no return! Goddamn T yells at him, saying "mosey" sounds wimpy but w/e! He's not the leader!

j2PeOoI.jpg
Qv7RgjN.jpg

Hordes of baddies are about ta rain down upon the area so What, This, and Dracula move on ahead while the others fight 'em off!

iuUtYwV.jpg
NAXXkFC.jpg

How these platforms are floating an how they don't crumble under the weight of IRON MAN, I have no idea!

Jj47Hud.jpg

Down in this blocky area... wait for it...

lVHOglz.jpg

Booga booga booga! One last jumpscare as Jenova just suddenly slides on screen!

O8iBB1M.jpg
uEtUgvL.jpg

This could wail on Jenova-Absolute all day, but its in our interest to banish her with the power of the knights asap. An its not to make things easier!

L3cHwBT.jpg
UelDkiV.jpg

Jenova was a load-bearing boss cause once she's dead the ground crumbles an they all go fallin'!

Dc7KE05.jpg
VeoSNnD.jpg

An down below they meet up with the rest of the party... and Sephiroth! He's exerting an immense amout of power flinging them around and junk.

U7ihF0q.jpg

What sees a glimmer of hope just floating around behind Sephiroth...

aVTeCJz.jpg
GSeTlug.jpg

...and decides that not just he, but everyone can fight! Eeeeeh?!

17oNYO9.jpg
atmdMj0.jpg
2g3qGEj.jpg

Yup, due to choices made earlier everyone gets some action here! Team B gets wrecked pretty hard by an attack which reduced their HP to 1! For just having 2 members, Team C held out well an busted their end of the Bizzaro Sephiroth! Team A takes the kill cred since they're in the center an thus able ta attack more parts. I love how this jerks death animation is just it slowly capsizing!

j6x7NXm.jpg

MORE BOSSES & FORMS = MORE FUN!

0aMWNZb.jpg

I like how even with a barrier up, This still smacks him around for max damage.

FAQxGcf.jpg
5ukysf5.jpg
TY3VgL5.jpg

Annoyed with how OP the party is, Safer Sephiroth utilizes the power of math which goes wayyyyy over my head!

HXO3KE3.jpg
YPhNhKS.jpg

This all powerful solar system busting attack inflicts a hefty amount of damage on the party. Its incapable of one-shotting so no worries about game overs if you're quick on the recovery.

dT8vrgM.jpg
IA0ASQN.jpg

Or just happen ta finish him off with the next attack! Later nerd!

Y5t4eYY.jpg

Yes! That was it! An end to the boss battles! Now alls left for 'em ta do is kick back an wait ta see how the planet responds.

C41pZGE.jpg
Kq7kmRk.jpg

Nooooo! Dammit What! Your mental issues were resolved! Don't pull this crap now!!

DAzoAvT.jpg

What's spirit is apparently sucked through some kinda wormhole?

whD8mTa.jpg
zM8xneI.jpg

An out the other ends a high quality final (maybe this time?) battle!

Bx4pepq.jpg
48KSUw4.jpg

This Sephiroth doesn't stand a chance an is quickly dispatched via Omnislash!

GwfNElC.jpg
rFCY4Qg.jpg

Now What's left with the issue of snapping outta this dream. Fortunately for him, a helping hands reaching out ta bring him back to reality!

tonka

Dunno if it's a bit or not, but you can make the master materia if you got the huge materia. Just a matter of mastering all the other materia haha.
Then just go to cosmo canyon and voilà, master materia

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I didnt think about the final attack with HP>MP materia, clever.
Its a lazy extension of the usual final attack+phoenix strat. Not foolproof cause one of Rubys tentacles can drain half your MP over and over so ya gotta keep an eye on the game just incase that happens!

Dunno if it's a bit or not, but you can make the master materia if you got the huge materia. Just a matter of mastering all the other materia haha.
Then just go to cosmo canyon and voilà, master materia
In this universe/playthrough all 4 huge materias were shot straight into Meteor so that options not available! I coulda had at least 3 additional masters of each type if not for that. Being without kinda made final materia setups for each team alil more strategic though.

Alucard

Banned
Still working through Final Fantasy II. In Mysidia and feel like I'm nearing the end game.

I've been playing the game without sound, opting to listen to podcasts on the bus instead. Am I missing out on anything in terms of music with this game?

SilverArrow20XX

Still working through Final Fantasy II. In Mysidia and feel like I'm nearing the end game.

I've been playing the game without sound, opting to listen to podcasts on the bus instead. Am I missing out on anything in terms of music with this game?

Game has a great soundtrack like any FF game. My favorite is the Pandemonium theme, which is the final dungeon. The Rebel Base theme and overworld theme are also fantastic. Some of the tracks have really short loops compared to later titles though.

sphinx

the piano man
ok so I platinumed FFX some days and it was my first time playing through this game, and went into it fairly unspoiled

the Sphrere Grid system is exciting but in this game, it's kinda broken. All 7 characters share the grid and for the main quest, the game expects you to fill about a 4th of it so everyone remains useful, but as it turns out, everyone can learn everything so it's a matter of time til 4 of your characters are going to be utterly useless. Getting high levels to beat dark aeons and super bosses would be a lot more fun if everyone had their job and specific set of moves, not shared and copy/pasted.Hell if you complete just one Sphere grid you can probably beat everyhitng minus penance.

I feel like some story parts flew over my head... were Auron and Tidus in the same circunstances??
Auron was an unsent, Tidus also evaporated and disapparead from at a different point and just differently from Auron,. I remember the child with the hood saying Tidus's a dream from them, the Faith (not sure what are they and how are they still alive or dreaming or wishing... I admit I didnt pay a lot of attention to it).

that being said, I really really liked it, I wished I had played it back then.

SilverArrow20XX

ok so I platinumed FFX some days and it was my first time playing through this game, and went into it fairly unspoiled

the Sphrere Grid system is exciting but in this game, it's kinda broken. All 7 characters share the grid and for the main quest, the game expects you to fill about a 4th of it so everyone remains useful, but as it turns out, everyone can learn everything so it's a matter of time til 4 of your characters are going to be utterly useless. Getting high levels to beat dark aeons and super bosses would be a lot more fun if everyone had their job and specific set of moves, not shared and copy/pasted.Hell if you complete just one Sphere grid you can probably beat everyhitng minus penance.

Yeah. Without any grinding, I usually just finish the character's grids and maybe get 1/4 of the way through a second grid. I really love the balance of the game before the end game grind. Every character has their own important tasks. My only real complaint being Yuna tended to get less experience than others during the first half of the game because I only used her for defense and healing. Sadly, in the end game everyone gets all of the unique skills and characters like Auron are made useless even earlier because all of the Celestial Weapons have defense ignoring properties, making his piercing pointless.

I feel like some story parts flew over my head... were Auron and Tidus in the same circunstances??
Auron was an unsent, Tidus also evaporated and disapparead from at a different point and just differently from Auron,. I remember the child with the hood saying Tidus's a dream from them, the Faith (not sure what are they and how are they still alive or dreaming or wishing... I admit I didnt pay a lot of attention to it).

that being said, I really really liked it, I wished I had played it back then.

Auron and Tidus are different. Long explanation ahead.

Auron is a real person. He was killed by Yunalesca soon after Braska's pilgrimage when he angrily confronted her. Before succumbing to his wounds he made his way all the way to Bevelle where he asked Khimari to look after Yuna. Then he went off and died, but became an unsent. Everybody else thought he recovered from his wounds. Somehow he kept aging to keep the illusion going. At the end of the game, he simply passes on to the Farplane because his business is finished.

Tidus and Jecht are technically Aeons, as citizens of Dream Zanarkand, which is itself a giant Aeon. The way Aeons work are that they are dreamed up by a Fayth (a person who has become a stone and perpetually dreams, such as the hooded boy who dreams Bahamut, or Seymour's mother who dreams Anima), and then a summoner taps into these dreams and brings them into reality.

Dream Zanarkand's Fayth is all of those Fayth on Mt Gagazet, who used to be citizens of the real Zanarkand. They together dream up the entire city and all of its people, and the summoner who makes it into reality is Yu Yevon. Presumably, these dream citizens of the dream city lived as normal people and had kids, Tidus and Jecht being their descendants after 1000 years.

When Bevelle was on the verge of winning the Machina War, Yu Yevon put this plan together to ensure that his people would live on in some form. He also created Sin as an armor to protect himself while he summoned the city and to defend the city itself. Dream Zanarkand actually exists in the real Spira out in the middle of the ocean and Sin attacks any ships that get near it. It's actually possible, though rare, for any dream citizen to physically leave the city, like Jecht did 10 years ago when his ship was wrecked while fishing off the coast of Dream Zanarkand, and how Tidus was washed away while Sin attacked in the intro. Auron, as an unsent, is able to go undetected by Sin, and this is how he was able to simply travel to Dream Zanarkand, riding Sin, to see Tidus.

At some point, the stress from continuously summoning the city robbed Yu Yevon of his sentience, and he now just summons it endlessly on pure instinct and has been doing so for 1000 years. At some point, Yunalesca, Yu Yevon's daughter, tried to stop Sin, using the final aeon (her lover, Zaon). She lost her life, bringing the first Calm, and Zaon became the second Sin and the endless cycle began, with summoners sacrificing their lives and one of their Guardians becoming the new Sin, all the way up to Braska and Jecht. It's unclear if she did this to help perpetuate Sin and preserve Dream Zanarkand, or if she genuinely wanted to create a reprieve from her father's violence.

When the party kills Yu Yevon at the end of the game, they kill Dream Zanarkand's Summoner. So of course, all of his Aeons.....unsummon. Including Tidus. That's why Tidus disappears at the end. The Gagazet Fayth also pass on after Yu Yevon dies, so Dream Zanarkand can't just be resummoned. The other Fayth also all take a break from dreaming, so all Aeons in general are gone.

FFX-2 spoilers.

We learn from Maechen that memories and desires of the departed are preserved as pyreflies. Shuyin, the antagonist of the game, technically isn't an unsent of the Shuyin that died in the Machina War, but an amalgamation of that Shuyins memories, desires, ambitions, and emotions that may not have all originated from Shuyin himself. Using this same principle, the Fayth, who have returned to dreaming in a limited form as a thank you to Yuna, gather other peoples memories and feelings towards Tidus as well as his own lingering sentiments, and rebuild him in a solid form, just like a Shuyin was created from his lingering Sentiments. This of course, has the implication that this isn't the real Tidus, but a 99.9% accurate copy.

The Audio drama and novel continue off this and start having reconstituted memory beings start appearing all over the place including Sin.

sphinx

the piano man
Auron and Tidus are different. Long explanation ahead.

woah, damn, looks like I am really bad at understanding these final fantasy stories, there was far more to it than I thought.

thanks for taking your time to explain.

more questions though:

.- why or when does a regular Spira person turn into a Fayth? like, who put those people there in Gagazet turned into stone, or do people just go there and choose to turn into one?

.- what was that simulation of Dream Zanarkand Seymour showed the party? was that the real dream Zanarkand or just a simulation or what was it? and in general, what were his intentions the whole time, did Seymour just want to make everyone an unsent or what are his motives?

SilverArrow20XX

woah, damn, looks like I am really bad at understanding these final fantasy stories, there was far more to it than I thought.

thanks for taking your time to explain.

more questions though:

.- why or when does a regular Spira person turn into a Fayth? like, who put those people there in Gagazet turned into stone, or do people just go there and choose to turn into one?

.- what was that simulation of Dream Zanarkand Seymour showed the party? was that the real dream Zanarkand or just a simulation or what was it? and in general, what were his intentions the whole time, did Seymour just want to make everyone an unsent or what are his motives?

People generally choose to become Fayth of their own free will. Just like Jecht chose to become the Fayth for Braska's final Aeon. This is true of the Gagazet Fayth too. They were citizens of Zanarkand and presumably volunteered to help preserve their country.

Seymour shows the party a sphere recording of the real ancient Zanarkand. Seymour's mother chose to become a Fayth so that Seymour could use her to fight Sin. To Seymour though, all that meant was that he lost his mom. He kinda snapped after that. His whole shtick is the stereotypical "If I kill everything in the world, then there will be no pain, therefor I'm saving the world from pain." He wants to become the Fayth for Yuna's final Aeon so that he can become the next Sin and carry out this insane plan. That's why he wants to marry Yuna. The bond would make him more compatible as her final Aeon.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Before we start I'm toss up a link to the OP here! Anyhow, this is it!

uaEB3gO.jpg
CDtky2M.jpg

Aha! Its This thats trying ta lend the helping hand! But the unstable nature of the area causes her to fall and end up on the receiving end of some help!

JQTewpM.jpg

What displays another inhuman amount of strength by holding himself and This up with one hand, all the while babbling about meeting "her" at the Promised Land. But its already been determined thats not actually a place or thing ya dummy. Someone oughta tell him to give the Farplane a try instead.

CSVGxCU.jpg
HUzI12u.jpg

Everyones okay! Including Zenny and Dracula who are just barely offscreen, yeah thats it. Also sup fmv'd Mr Meows!

m4zvbHI.jpg
3o4PZfW.jpg
kVvRWnM.jpg

Holys about to get ta work meaning this place is gonna collapse even more than it already had so far! They're gonna need a way out before they get caught up in it!

Gaal9ES.jpg
fbJ4z9O.jpg

Fortune was shining on Goddamn T and the others cause the crater opened so wide that the Highwind tumbled all the way down to 'em! An with them onboard it rode that Holy blast straight on out!

svSzO7I.jpg
ONXx7my.jpg

The airship suffered alot of damage but theres always more emergency things to try out! This time it straight up turns into a plane an rockets away!

sabhopS.jpg

Back at Kalm, lil Marlene thinks she hears the flower girl an rushes over to her window to see...

CEr9xEv.jpg
YAJS5is.jpg

...the impending doomsday! Midgars getting wrecked something fierce.

opfl78x.jpg
HVYbJMT.jpg

Holy's finally made its way there but only as a token gesture apparently, since Meteor seems ta not be getting stopped!

ioewLS7.jpg

Check out the sweet new ride! I'd take this over vanilla Highwind any day!
I still want my freaking Buggy & Tiny Bronco back!!

wmiNg10.jpg
gy31DXb.jpg

Mr Meows, or I guess Reeve, had literally everybody get their butts down to the slums for safety reasons though at this rate that may not be enough.

8dSiVAI.jpg

Meanwhile What's mind and eyes seem to have drifted elsewhere -.-;

ylwiNiw.jpg
CADnuKo.jpg

Okies we got his attention back on more pressing matters! The Lifestreams going wild an thats usually never a good thing!

i7XrDw7.jpg
xB2PMb5.jpg

Life's dream is coming... and how! So much valuable Mako... er I mean spirit energy! We sure the planet was drastically in danger with the reactors up an running?

wGDL6zl.jpg

Is it helping? Hurting? Not doing a darn thing? Don't leave me hanging!

dMLh62A.jpg

Wait huh? Did we just loop back to the start of the game? No, the credits have started rolling! But! But! You can't do this game!!

GKLe6If.jpg
ciR1ieY.jpg

What travels the wasteland as a courier for hire...

wecxGgK.jpg
iz8qprK.jpg

Genesis rises ag... redacted

Vi6d7jT.jpg
p74wpFd.jpg
zwXOiYQ.jpg

FF XIII you magnificent madman. Ya actually did it huh!

mXqYuH7.jpg
4GlpASF.jpg

Him and his kiddies pass some time scaring off birds with their roars!

LopKSsC.jpg
ME94lM0.jpg

An that was Final Fantasy VII! One of the greatest games ever made an my personal favorite!

A1qmDyZ.jpg

An this is a screensaver circa. Windows '95! idk what its doing here, think the game softlocks at this point or something.

ZBxXtmW.jpg

An today is September 7th, 2017. A whopping 20 years after the games north american release! Been awhile since I started a new playthrough. Was kinda thinking I should do so in order to honor this anniverary... NOT! No worries though!

qXq4WfJ.jpg

Someday we will see them again.

Matski

Neo Member
Well-timed 20th anniversary NA-release ending to the playthrough, Lindsay. Have to admit that I expected you to give-up posting it all at some point. Very happy to see those expectations completely pulverised. Top stuff!

Geido

I didn't read all your posts, but I enjoyed the ones that I did!

Realised that I've forgotten a lot of FFVII as well.

I'm busy with FFXII at the moment. Really enjoying it. For some reason I had it filed away as one of the lesser FFs. But I think it's easily top 5 and maybe top 3 material. No idea where that notion came from. It feels like Star Wars.

I'm really unsure if I want to do all the optional content though, the game is huuuuge. Going back and forth between seeing it as a chore and enjoying it.

I didn't read all your posts, but I enjoyed the ones that I did!

Realised that I've forgotten a lot of FFVII as well.

I'm busy with FFXII at the moment. Really enjoying it. For some reason I had it filed away as one of the lesser FFs. But I think it's easily top 5 and maybe top 3 material. No idea where that notion came from. It feels like Star Wars.

I'm really unsure if I want to do all the optional content though, the game is huuuuge. Going back and forth between seeing it as a chore and enjoying it.
I wouldn't bother with the rare hunts and items. I think this game had rare hunts.

SilverArrow20XX

Just got the last crafting trophy in XIV. That's 6,000 things crafted in 4 days. Glad that's over. Now I just need the three 1,000 gathering trophies and the 1,000 leves trophy and I'll have that platinum.

Finally beat VIII, but I think I broke the game. Since you can't pause during the ending sequences I just hit the PS button to pause it instead while I was surfing on the web. The controller must've got desynced because it resumed and jumped ahead to the scene with Rinoa at the SeeD ball and then I hit the PS button again because I wasn't finished and then just took it off a moment ago and the screen is just black. Oh well, at least I got to beat it.

Alucard

Banned
Close to entering the final dungeon in Final Fantasy II, but I think there's a bonus one I need to seek out somewhere first.

This game is pretty rad overall. I like how much more grounded the story is despite the main cast being super boring for the most part and just being avatars for the plot.

Finding FFXIII end game a real slog. Two trophies left, just have to beat a Long Gui and finish up Treasure Hunter.
Struggling just with the Shaolong Guis though, beat it about 1 in 5 times which is making grinding them a huge pain.
I have my weapons etc as maxed as they can be at this point, what else can I do to make life easier?
Every time he does Bay/Quake I rarely recover from it.

Ladekabel

It's kind of sad that I wanted to play at least one Final Fantasy game this year and haven't done it yet and don't know if I have the time in the future...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Close to entering the final dungeon in Final Fantasy II, but I think there's a bonus one I need to seek out somewhere first.

This game is pretty rad overall. I like how much more grounded the story is despite the main cast being super boring for the most part and just being avatars for the plot.

It's the first RPG story that I liked chronologically. Shit like Ultima and Might and Magic were fun, but the stories didn't get good until right around this time. FF II just has this simple war and revenge tale told quite well for an NES game. People you barely know die but you still feel a bit of regret. NPC family members die and they react appropriately.

SilverArrow20XX

Glad you like it. It's the true most underrated title in the series.

What version are you playing? There is a set of bonus dungeons in the PSP version. They involve several replays of the dungeon to see different scenarios and get different weapons. They also flesh out the backstory of a new character and it's pretty good.

Otherwise, there in a post game bonus dungeon as well that is also in the GBA version. Hope you didn't unequip your party members who were about to leave, because they keep what they were wearing in this dungeon. It's still possible naked, since there's a place to shop pretty early on, but you'll need to run from all battles for a healthy length of dungeon first.

I would like to go ahead and start on my next Final Fantasy, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. My PS2 is dead so that leaves out X, X-2, and XII. I can't find my copy of VI or VII anywhere. I think the Steam version of IX came out back in February so I've already played that this year. Playing IV on my PS3 has weird graphical issues, I don't really feel like going back into III because of that final dungeon. Don't have any money to buy I, II, XI, XIII, XIV, or XV. I lost Crystal Bearers because I downloaded it from a friend's account and that was gone after my first PS3 died.

Alucard

Banned
Glad you like it. It's the true most underrated title in the series.

What version are you playing? There is a set of bonus dungeons in the PSP version. They involve several replays of the dungeon to see different scenarios and get different weapons. They also flesh out the backstory of a new character and it's pretty good.

Otherwise, there in a post game bonus dungeon as well that is also in the GBA version. Hope you didn't unequip your party members who were about to leave, because they keep what they were wearing in this dungeon. It's still possible naked, since there's a place to shop pretty early on, but you'll need to run from all battles for a healthy length of dungeon first.

I'm playing the GBA version. I only unequipped one of the players that left, and I feel like my party is pretty beastly/competent already. I have Cure at level 16, and I'm planning to get Ultima to at least level 10 before trying to finish things off. I'll see if I can get holy that high too. Oh, and I've been relying on Haste, Berserk, and Protect in almost every battle to build up those spells as I near the finale.

Good to know it's a post-game dungeon. I won't worry about seeking out a dungeon for nothing before entering the final dungeon. I checked an FAQ and it seems like I have two or three major areas left before the end game dungeon.

Alucard

Banned
I would like to go ahead and start on my next Final Fantasy, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. My PS2 is dead so that leaves out X, X-2, and XII. I can't find my copy of VI or VII anywhere. I think the Steam version of IX came out back in February so I've already played that this year. Playing IV on my PS3 has weird graphical issues, I don't really feel like going back into III because of that final dungeon. Don't have any money to buy I, II, XI, XIII, XIV, or XV. I lost Crystal Bearers because I downloaded it from a friend's account and that was gone after my first PS3 died.

How is Crystal Bearers? Looks kind of fun and different, and most reviews say it only takes around 15-16 hours to complete.

SilverArrow20XX

How is Crystal Bearers? Looks kind of fun and different, and most reviews say it only takes around 15-16 hours to complete.

It's pretty short. I liked it. The battle system is fun and I thought the story was good enough.

I didn't bother with the weird enemy swarm speed run quests. Every area has this thing where you have to kill a ton of enemies within a time limit. I only beat the first one. The others didn't even seem close to being possible. Must've been some kind of combo system I didn't understand or something. The rewards didn't really seem worth it and there was no story to them or anything.

Alucard

Banned
It's pretty short. I liked it. The battle system is fun and I thought the story was good enough.

I didn't bother with the weird enemy swarm speed run quests. Every area has this thing where you have to kill a ton of enemies within a time limit. I only beat the first one. The others didn't even seem close to being possible. Must've been some kind of combo system I didn't understand or something. The rewards didn't really seem worth it and there was no story to them or anything.

Oh, that's how I felt about the Donkey Kong Country Returns speed runs for the Wii. I did one or two and gave up on the rest because they seemed ridiculous.

fvng

Just finished FF3 on Vita (The DS port) and oh fuck that was great, I'm sad it's over. Hopefully we get some equally charming FF games on current or next gen consoles

Alucard

Banned
Just finished FF3 on Vita (The DS port) and oh fuck that was great, I'm sad it's over. Hopefully we get some equally charming FF games on current or next gen consoles

Nice! I'm glad you liked it. I played through it twice back-to-back. Takes a lot for an RPG to get me to do that, but FFIII had the charm.

Alucard

Banned
Lindsay, you should put your posts up on a blog or something. Good memories in there. I'll have to replay it as well one of these days. A shame the controls suuuuuck against the pre-rendered backgrounds.

I hope your next playthrough is Legend of Dragoon. Haha.

Toth

Just noticed ProJared uploaded his video on Final Fantasy III. I'm bout to watch.

I watched this a few weeks ago and no lie, I felt I enjoyed watching the FF3 stream moreso than playing the remake. I really enjoyed the remake mind you, but the original just has so much charm that was lost in the transition. It is such a shame we never got this one.

On a fun note, I was amazed to find many parties (even with Summoners!) were able to beat the game rather easily. I always assumed that the Ninja x 2 Sage x2 combo was absolutely necessary to beat the CoD.

SilverArrow20XX

I remember navigating one of the caves in FFII, searching every nook and getting every treasure. Beating the boss and manually backtracking out......only to be immediately back attacked and petrified by cockatrices upon getting back to the world map. After that I started just having maps of dungeons open on my computer while I play lol. I honestly enjoy it more when I have maps. Same way I play Zelda II.

Alucard

Banned
I remember navigating one of the caves in FFII, searching every nook and getting every treasure. Beating the boss and manually backtracking out......only to be immediately back attacked and petrified by cockatrices upon getting back to the world map. After that I started just having maps of dungeons open on my computer while I play lol. I honestly enjoy it more when I have maps. Same way I play Zelda II.

I played a couple of the FFI bonus dungeons like that. Honestly, as many positive things as I have to say about FFI and FFII, a lot of them are cancelled out by the ridiculous enemy encounter rates in these games.

Ultratech

On a random FFII note, the dungeons are in fact awful, and the trap rooms are insufferable.

Yeah, the Trap Rooms are the worst things ever.
"Oh, wrong room... By the way, we jacked the Encounter Rate in here!"
"DAMMIT!"

It'd probably be a little better if it didn't plop you right in the middle of the room.

I played a couple of the FFI bonus dungeons like that. Honestly, as many positive things as I have to say about FFI and FFII, a lot of them are cancelled out by the ridiculous enemy encounter rates in these games.

The Encounter Rates are pretty ridiculous. Especially FF1 in particular.
I remember doing the Bonus Dungeons for FF1 and got extremely annoyed after a while because you were literally walking into encounters like every 7-10 steps.

Fou-Lu

Which Final Fantasy have all of you replayed the most? I think my most replayed is probably VII, but I have also played the first game numerous times. If we count spin-offs I have played Crystal Chronicles A LOT.

Top Bottom