• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Square Enix Press Conference thread

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kintaro said:
That was about what I expected. More ports, some announcements, SO4, and Last Remnant. SE's first multiplatform RPG. That's pretty damn big news. Just because there's no Wii-ton forum meltdown doesn't mean the early announcements are a bust. Sheesh.

How can you say SE doesn't like Nintendo? Last I saw, the DS was getting an awesome amount of SE support. They also announced Chocobo Dungeon for Wii. This isn't a real game now? People marked out over Chocobo Tales on DS, but Chocobo Dungeon is non news now?

Wii is still getting Dragon Quest Swords too. And Crystal Bearers (it's easy to forget about FF: CC though :lol )

But, I get it. Wii doesn't get any mainline Final Fantasy, so it's all a bust. Boo-hoo.

You honestly expect people to get excited about Chocobo Dungeon???

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Aokage said:
It's over. Just got back home.

So the biggest stuff was Star Ocean 4 (platform unknown but confirmed to be a "high-end" came according to the producer. Also tri-Ace developing confirmed) and Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon Wii.

First footage of Crystal Bearers, too, all realtime. Looked amazing -- without a doubt the best visuals on Wii yet.

Last Remnant in motion looks pretty goddamn astounding, if you ask me. Facial animation is fantastic, and the battles are incredibly kinetic and dynamic. Frame rate still a little choppy, but they wanted to stress it was still early in development. The towns were vast and full of life -- think Rabanastre next-gen and you'll have a pretty good idea of what they were all about.

Dissidia, FFIV DS, and the new XIII trailers will be at the actual Party two days from now, so sit tight! :D

Good stuff, thanks for the report. Can't wait to see Last Remnant in motion. The screens look excellent (to me). SO4 on PS3/360 is hot shit too. Can't wait.

Sypher

Banned
Aokage said:
It's over. Just got back home.

So the biggest stuff was Star Ocean 4 (platform unknown but confirmed to be a "high-end" came according to the producer. Also tri-Ace developing confirmed) and Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon Wii.

First footage of Crystal Bearers, too, all realtime. Looked amazing -- without a doubt the best visuals on Wii yet.

Last Remnant in motion looks pretty goddamn astounding, if you ask me. Facial animation is fantastic, and the battles are incredibly kinetic and dynamic. Frame rate still a little choppy, but they wanted to stress it was still early in development. The towns were vast and full of life -- think Rabanastre next-gen and you'll have a pretty good idea of what they were all about.

Dissidia, FFIV DS, and the new XIII trailers will be at the actual Party two days from now, so sit tight! :D

Why do I have the feeling it going to be another SUPA MEGURU TUUN!!!!.........behind closed doors.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
schuelma said:

Shit, people got excited over mother ****ing CHOCOBO TALES ON DS. So, yes. If people can get excited over that, they could over Chocobo Dungeon.

schuelma

So, is there any chance of announcements at the actual conference, or is this it?

Eteric Rice

Kintaro said:
That was about what I expected. More ports, some announcements, SO4, and Last Remnant. SE's first multiplatform RPG. That's pretty damn big news. Just because there's no Wii-ton forum meltdown doesn't mean the early announcements are a bust. Sheesh.

How can you say SE doesn't like Nintendo? Last I saw, the DS was getting an awesome amount of SE support. They also announced Chocobo Dungeon for Wii. This isn't a real game now? People marked out over Chocobo Tales on DS, but Chocobo Dungeon is non news now?

Wii is still getting Dragon Quest Swords too. And Crystal Bearers (it's easy to forget about FF: CC though :lol )

But, I get it. Wii doesn't get any mainline Final Fantasy, so it's all a bust. Boo-hoo.

If Chocobo Cave is another mini-game fest, then no, I'm not happpy.

Like I said, I don't care if the wii gets spin-offs. But at very least, let them be quality ones (like Crisis Core is to VII).

Kintaro said:
Shit, people got excited over mother ****ing CHOCOBO TALES ON DS. So, yes. If people can get excited over that, they could over Chocobo Dungeon.
Not when PS3/360 get Last Remnant, not when PSP gets Dissidia and SO1&2, IMO.

schuelma said:

It'll really good in Japan going by the previous games. In Japan both Mysterious Dungeons ahve sold over 700k. It might not appeal directly to you, but here a big market out there for those games and that's why its not some throw away title like some acting.

duckroll

Nibelung Valesti said:

That probably has to do with the fact that most people on this board are english gamers. English gamers don't play Mysterious Dungeon games, and they've never played SO1. :lol

schuelma

SolidSnakex said:
Japan sure will. Mysterious Dungeon 2 sold 700k+ there. Same goes for the original. It might not appeal directly to you, but here a big market out there for those games and that's why its not some throw away title like some are making it out to be.

Ahh..did not know that. Still..I'd like at least one slightly more mature title.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
duckroll said:
So guys, Tri-Ace is working on SO4, but does it say anywhere that they're working on SO1 and SO2 PSP? The conference report says "brand new character designs and animated FMVs by Production IG" but doesn't mention Tri-Ace anywhere. :lol

No, the PSP SO1 and 2 are not by tri-Ace. They didn't say who was doing them, but because they made a big deal about tri-Ace on SO4 I'm quite certain the PSP games are by Tose or something. The did look nice, though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Alkaliine said:
One thing I'm confused about is why do S-E put so many games on PSP when their DS titles are selling much better?

I am confused at the fact that people like you hate when games are made for different system other than your own.

And i do plan to buy all the FF games for the psp.

Nibelung Valesti said:

get over it, or just buy a ps3 or 360 and stop whining. You act as those Square can make a miracle and port the UE engine to the Wii. ugh.

All system owners should be happy and stop hating on the PSP, it isnt selling like the DS, but it fairing much better than any other non-nintendo handheld.

Phthisis

You know, if the games you wanted aren't on the system you hold dear, you could always *gasp* put in a couple extra hours at work for a few weeks and pick up the other console/handheld.

Pretty simple solution.

neojubei said:
I am confused at the fact that people like you hate when games are made for different system other than your own.

And i do plan to buy all the FF games for the psp.

WTF man?

I said that S-E should put more games on DS because they will get better profits. I never once said anything about me preferring this.

duckroll

Aokage said:
No, the PSP SO1 and 2 are not by tri-Ace. They didn't say who was doing them, but because they made a big deal about tri-Ace on SO4 I'm quite certain the PSP games are by Tose or something. The did look nice, though.

I ****ing knew it! :lol :lol

Just like VP:L, tri-Ace will probably put a notice in their site's fineprint eventually that says "We had nothing to do with those games, please direct all questions to Square Enix." :lol

Monk

Banned
Damn, I was really hoping for a DS SO4 game, since they will probably be forced to make it similar to SO2. Now SO4 is going to be similar to SO3 which i hated. Hopefully atleast the dungeons wont be too big.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Aokage said:
D

can u plz tell us how the character-design is ? kiddy or more mature ?

Phthisis said:
You know, if the games you wanted aren't on the system you hold dear, you could always *gasp* put in a couple extra hours at work for a few weeks and pick up the other console/handheld.

Pretty simple solution.

People who don't work hourly can't do this.

I think a lot of people are just in awe that Square Enix seems to be favoring systems that, well, aren't performing well at all at the moment. The Wii owns Japan and pretty much the rest of the world, and all they have (outside of games they announced long ago) is a Chocobo game?

Soulhouf

Yoboman said:
haydenspank.gif

I go wild :lol

Aokage

Alkaliine said:
You sure the Crystal Bearers footage was real-time? How did the gameplay look? How were the visuals compared to the original on GC?

Definitely. The director Itahana said two or three times it was full realtime running on Wii. It was literally 30 seconds long and all cutscene-type fancy camera angle stuff, so I couldn't even begin to speculate on the gameplay. I did come away with the impression that it'll have a much stronger single-player story experience than the original Crystal Chronicles...the main character seemed to be predetermined.

schuelma

Miniboss1232 said:

I think a lot of people are just in awe that Square Enix seems to be favoring systems that, well, aren't performing well at all at the moment. The Wii owns Japan and pretty much the rest of the world, and all they have (outside of games they announced long ago) is a Chocobo game?

Well, I refuse to believe that this is the extent of Square Enix's Wii support. They were probably caught off guard like everyone. Hopefully as the year goes on more projects will be announced.

Great news on FF:CC though. That makes me happy.

Phthisis

Miniboss1232 said:

If you're a salaried employee somewhere, then you're probably making enough money per year to afford it anyway. Usually salaried workers are professionals in some capacity.

Sypher

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Probably not getting SO4, since someone said something about it being on the "high end" or something.
Cant believe im saying this, but it should be. If its going to be like SO3, then waggle is perfect for it.

Diablos54

Wow, a choboco game, Nintendo fans am EXPLODE!

Seriously, they hyped up THAT!? :| I'm sure it'll be a good game, but you don't hype up a game like that to that extent... ****ing hell S-E.

schuelma

Here's some optimism for Wii fans- It sure looks like Squeenix is putting a lot of effort into both the already announced games, so that's good and bodes well for the future. :)

schuelma said:
Well, I refuse to believe that this is the extent of Square Enix's Wii support. They were probably caught off guard like everyone. Hopefully as the year goes on more projects will be announced.

The whole "caught off guard" shit isn't cutting it anymore. The Wii made a huge splash at E3 a year ago. It started selling like gangbusters 6 months ago. That excuse is done.

schuelma

Alkaliine said:
And that's the thing. Why would they put it on PS3? It just doesn't make sense.

I am 99% sure its going to be multi platform.

Aokage

cw_sasuke said:
can u plz tell us how the character-design is ? kiddy or more mature ?

Crystal Bearers character design is nowhere near as kiddie as Ring of Fates. Still maybe four or five heads tall, I thought they looked pretty cool.

Phthisis said:
If you're a salaried employee somewhere, then you're probably making enough money per year to afford it anyway. Usually salaried workers are professionals in some capacity.

Perhaps. This is certainly not always the case. And depending on location, salary pay can still suck.

But whatever. Some people don't want to buy another system. Would you not rather spend that hard earned money on games rather than hardware?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Aokage said:
I ****ing knew it! :lol :lol

Just like VP:L, tri-Ace will probably put a notice in their site's fineprint eventually that says "We had nothing to do with those games, please direct all questions to Square Enix." :lol
I called TOSE on the first page. :lol

Monk said:
When does the pain stop?
When Crisis Core Forever comes out?

schuelma

BrodiemanTTR said:
The whole "caught off guard" shit isn't cutting it anymore. The Wii made a huge splash at E3 a year ago. It started selling like gangbusters 6 months ago. That excuse is done.

I think its still valid to a certain extent.

Yeah, they had a good E3, but that probably wasn't enough to fundamentally change anything.

And companies probably weren't shocked it sold out during the holiday's- its only in the last few months that the Wii's staying power has really shown itself.

Top Bottom