• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Square Enix Press Conference thread

Mar

Jonnyram said:
I think it's all over actually.
Looks like lots of stuff is remaining under wraps :lol

We didn't even get a full version of that animated gif. Total thread failure.

Yixian said:
Why are people expecting a 360 exclusive? Have you not seen the hardware sales in Japan? Do you not understand the concept of demographics?

Although, this is Square, second only to Capcom is incomprehensible platforming decisions.

I think that was exactly what they were thinking when they said "North American/Japanese Simultaneous Release". They looked at everywhere for total 360 sales went "Hmmm...outside of Japan, folks love their 360's, specially in NA....5.7 game attach rate.....millions of systems sold....very nice..."

Now....I ask you "Do you understand the concept of demographics?" Japan might be a lost cause for the 360 crew, but everywhere else, it's doing just fine. *checks on the 11 million sold so far figure* Yup, doing juuuuuust fine. Not to troll...but...umm...how's the PS3 sales doing?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sooo is there going to be anything this weekend, or was that it?

Man, as a Nintendo fan, I'm glad I've stayed up till 4:17 in the morning for this, it was well worth while. Now I can sleep happily knowing SE loves my Wii. :)

SolidSnakex said:
Most of what the PSP is getting are ports/remakes. It's not a big deal.

But they could still put all of these games onto DS, and make a bigger profit. I know they want to share it around but as a company they're not getting the benefits they could potentially gain.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jonnyram said:
I think it's all over actually.
Looks like lots of stuff is remaining under wraps :lol
They've got to save some stuff for the party, right? :lol

Alkaliine said:
But they could still put all of these games onto DS, and make a bigger profit. I know they want to share it around but as a company they're not getting the benefits they could potentially gain.
It's not like they can completely ignore the PSP, so why not keep delaying Crisis Core Forever and releasing PS1 games that should be on PSN? I don't see reason to complain about what PSP is getting if you own a DS. If you want those games that badly, get one.

Dark Fact

With the posted announcements from this conference, the PSP game Dissidia and the DS remake of FF4, there are still two items that have been previously announced tho not fully disclosed:

Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII...which I think will be the big announcement at the end...what this is, not sure, but my assumption is to either appear on the Wii (like FF12 RW for DS) or xb360 (if they want to use the same engine), or the also possible 3rd FF13 on PS3.

Kingdom Hearts KeyBlade Wars...which was shown briefly at the end of KH2, and mentioned recently in reference to the next KH game not being "KH3". This may still be too early, so my money is on FFH13 since this IS the 20th FF party after all.

dogonfire

I wish these blogs had the courtesy to post a picture of a stop sign or something for us foreigners when events were done.

And sypher, graphics don't matter to me. I'm a hypocrite? :(

farnham

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Man, as a Nintendo fan, I'm glad I've stayed up till 4:17 in the morning for this, it was well worth while. Now I can sleep happily knowing SE loves my Wii. :)
actually i just woke up (and its 11 AM)

Yixian

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
I think that was exactly what they were thinking when they said "North American/Japanese Simultaneous Release". They looked at everywhere for total 360 sales went "Hmmm...outside of Japan, folks love their 360's, specially in NA....5.7 game attach rate.....millions of systems sold....very nice..."

Now....I ask you "Do you understand the concept of demographics?" Japan might be a lost cause for the 360 crew, but everywhere else, it's doing just fine. *checks on the 11 million sold so far figure* Yup, doing juuuuuust fine. Not to troll...but...umm...how's the PS3 sales doing?

Considering the complete lack of games and the horrendous price, not bad.

And btw, 360 isn't doing particularly well in Europe either. Better than Japan, not so bad in the UK, but everywhere else, France, Spain, Italy *blows raspberry*

I don't see how games like The Last Remnant are going to make enough money on 360 to cover the cost it took to develop for it. I mean, look at it, it's a diehard RPG/RTS hybrid type thing.

Plenty of 360 owners here will want it, but the masses bought a 360 for games like Gears and Halo, and couldn't care less about much else. Likewise, you don't buy a PS3 if you're going to be buying tons of shooters.

FuturusX

Surely as a gamer you get excited about games?, non?

I like the Wii ( I own the Wii) I'm glad that Nintendo took an entirely different road.
But I have to say I don't care how many people buy it , I'll judge its success on the variety and quality of titles.

I'm a gamer first - Analyst second. Which is why Dreamcast will go down as one of my favourite consoles of all time, regardless of its poor sales showing and its pathway to the demise of SEGA.

It's about games people...especially for us the hardcore.
Lets not forget that.

Biggest news is Star Ocean 4 guys, just because you can't fap when you don't know the platform(s) the game is on doesn't mean the announcement is insignificant.

And I ****ing hate how everyone is following that.

duckroll

Dark Fact said:
Kingdom Hearts KeyBlade Wars...which was shown briefly at the end of KH2, and mentioned recently in reference to the next KH game not being "KH3". This may still be too early, so my money is on FFH13 since this IS the 20th FF party after all.

Nomura has said again and again and again. It will not be at the party. It's a Summer announcement, which means - E3. The spinoffs will NOT be about the Keyblade Wars specifically but will cover the characters that are "not Sora" like King Mickey and Roxas during the gaps in time which have not been covered. The planned platform for these stories to be told are portable systems.

Sypher

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Biggest news is Star Ocean 4 guys, just because you can't fap when you don't know the platform(s) the game is on doesn't mean the announcement is insignificant.

Were there any screens of it? If we see it, than atleast we know if its for new gen or next gen.

Kato

dogonfire said:
I wish these blogs had the courtesy to post a picture of a stop sign or something for us foreigners when events were done.

And sypher, graphics don't matter to me. I'm a hypocrite? :(

Same here.
If your taste differs you're a hypocrite
Hyprocrites all around..
We should start a hypocrites movement and ban the term hypocrite at the same time cause it's one helluva overused and missplaced word..

Yoboman

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

It's hard to get excited over a name

Borys

Banned
That was underwhelmeaton. And that Last Remnant game is just all kinds of ugly.

What happened Square? You used to push the Playstation boundaries with Final Fantasy 9, Final Fantasy 10-2 and Kingdom Hearts 2?

No FF13 news makes me a sad Kittonwy ^~^

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
It's over. Just got back home.

So the biggest stuff was Star Ocean 4 (platform unknown but confirmed to be a "high-end" came according to the producer. Also tri-Ace developing confirmed) and Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon Wii.

First footage of Crystal Bearers, too, all realtime. Looked amazing -- without a doubt the best visuals on Wii yet.

Last Remnant in motion looks pretty goddamn astounding, if you ask me. Facial animation is fantastic, and the battles are incredibly kinetic and dynamic. Frame rate still a little choppy, but they wanted to stress it was still early in development. The towns were vast and full of life -- think Rabanastre next-gen and you'll have a pretty good idea of what they were all about.

Dissidia, FFIV DS, and the new XIII trailers will be at the actual Party two days from now, so sit tight! :D

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
In regards to the HD issue, I guess Nintendo would be in a tough spot then, if they had tried to release a $400 console with 360 level graphics they'd be well behind the PS3 right now in sales. I know I wouldn't have bought one either. Trying to do too much like you suggest would have killed the wii outright, sorry pixel-counters.

I admit Final Fantasy XIII and the new games looks cool as hell, but if the videos are right it doesn't look like much fun to me. :-/

I say let the big-bad final fantasy stick to the elitest platforms and have smaller teams work on wii titles, using existing licenses like chrono trigger, secret of mana, actraiser, and such. I think the wii would be much better off with titles like that. :)

I guess I pray for Konami to give us Suikoden VI for Wii (they have an unnamed wii rpg in the works) and Sega to give us Skies of Arcadia II. :)

Ceb

Nuclear Muffin said:
Looks crap! sorry. after seeing BD and LO (I'm not totally convinced on FF13 I wanna see it running in real time on an actual console first) I'm not impressed one little bit!

Apples and oranges. TLR looks to have huge army battles, something both BD and LO lack. I agree that the ciy shot doesn't look too hot though.

Multi-platform sucks.

RaijinFY

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Yay Star Ocean 4 was announced and then? Not even some art or something and yeah we dont even know on what platform (s)... ****ing lame.

duckroll

So guys, Tri-Ace is working on SO4, but does it say anywhere that they're working on SO1 and SO2 PSP? The conference report says "brand new character designs and animated FMVs by Production IG" but doesn't mention Tri-Ace anywhere. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Aokage said:

So the biggest stuff was Star Ocean 4 (platform unknown but confirmed to be a "high-end" came according to the producer.

PS3/360 confirmed

Good news on FF:CC though..hopefully its a strong title.

Sypher

Banned
Anyone can say "I'm all about the gameplay. **** graphics! 480p FTW" but I can guarantee you that if the half the games you play today looked like 8bit tragedies, you wouldnt give them a second look. Good visuals and good gameplay go hand in hand, they arent exclusive concepts.

You honestly can tell me that you would rather have the current Wii than a Wii HD?

Aokage said:

So the biggest stuff was Star Ocean 4 (platform unknown but confirmed to be a "high-end" came according to the producer. Also tri-Ace developing confirmed) and Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon Wii.

First footage of Crystal Bearers, too, all realtime. Looked amazing -- without a doubt the best visuals on Wii yet.

Last Remnant in motion looks pretty goddamn astounding, if you ask me. Facial animation is fantastic, and the battles are incredibly kinetic and dynamic. Frame rate still a little choppy, but they wanted to stress it was still early in development. The towns were vast and full of life -- think Rabanastre next-gen and you'll have a pretty good idea of what they were all about.

Dissidia, FFIV DS, and the new XIII trailers will be at the actual Party two days from now, so sit tight! :D

You sure the Crystal Bearers footage was real-time? How did the gameplay look? How were the visuals compared to the original on GC?

El Papa

duckroll said:
So guys, Tri-Ace is working on SO4, but does it say anywhere that they're working on SO1 and SO2 PSP? The conference report says "brand new character designs and animated FMVs by Production IG" but doesn't mention Tri-Ace anywhere. :lol

Whoa, holy shit.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Aokage said:

*hype*

Aokage said:

Thanks for the report! I wish there was something, maybe a screenie or two, thrown Wii's way so we can share with the awesomness that you just experienced.

sypher said:
Anyone can say "I'm all about the gameplay. **** graphics! 480p FTW" but I can guarantee you that if the half the games you play today looked like 8bit tragedies, you wouldnt give them a second look. Good visuals and good gameplay go hand in hand, they arent exclusive concepts.

You honestly can tell me that you would rather have the current Wii than a Wii HD?

Wii can do "good" visuals. Great even.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

It was definitely a significant announcement. I suppose people aren't more excited because we knew it was coming and we got no screens or platforms or even a proper title, they didn't say anything at all. It's just confirmation of what Famitsu told us to expect, all the excitement is in the other thread where most of us hope it's more of a mix of SS and TtEoT.

zoukka

Not interested unless its a hyper detailed 2D-game. Til the End of Times plot was so shitty i just couldn't play it through. And the voice acting :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
That was about what I expected. More ports, some announcements, SO4, and Last Remnant. SE's first multiplatform RPG. That's pretty damn big news. Just because there's no Wii-ton forum meltdown doesn't mean the early announcements are a bust. Sheesh.

How can you say SE doesn't like Nintendo? Last I saw, the DS was getting an awesome amount of SE support. They also announced Chocobo Dungeon for Wii. This isn't a real game now? People marked out over Chocobo Tales on DS, but Chocobo Dungeon is non news now?

Wii is still getting Dragon Quest Swords too. And Crystal Bearers (it's easy to forget about FF: CC though :lol )

But, I get it. Wii doesn't get any mainline Final Fantasy, so it's all a bust. Boo-hoo.

DieH@rd

Banned
Aokage said:

Thanks for impressions. I hope someone will release video of Last Remnant...

dogonfire

sypher said:

I played through Mega Man 1-4 yesterday and enjoyed it a great deal. What's your problem with people with different opinions? Why does what we do/like matter to you? Maybe you can find someone who will debate this on your level somewhere else.

Top Bottom