• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Square Enix Press Conference thread

schuelma said:
I am 99% sure its going to be multi platform.

Did previous Star Oceans sell well in USA and Europe? Because if they did then I guess it's suitable for 360, but if not, then I really question S-E's decision.

Phthisis

Miniboss1232 said:
Perhaps. This is certainly not always the case. And depending on location, salary pay can still suck.

But whatever. Some people don't want to buy another system. Would you not rather spend that hard earned money on games rather than hardware?

I don't mind spending my money on hardware provided the software for it is compelling. I know it's sort of cliche now, but I buy gaming machines for what I can play on them. Software first.

BrodiemanTTR said:
The whole "caught off guard" shit isn't cutting it anymore. The Wii made a huge splash at E3 a year ago. It started selling like gangbusters 6 months ago. That excuse is done.

Game developers want to make games on competent systems, not trash from seven years ago.

But enjoy Chocobo's Dungeon!

duckroll

Alkaliine said:
Did previous Star Oceans sell well in USA and Europe? Because if they did then I guess it's suitable for 360, but if not, then I really question S-E's decision.

Square Enix isn't the only deciding factor here. tri-Ace co-owns the IP and they sure as hell are never working on last-gen hardware. :p

And if you come out the day after sales figures were just announced where platform A completely trashed platforms B and C to a degree never seen before (9 to 1, WTF) and tell everyone your new game's platform hasn't been decided on yet (but it's probably gonna be platform B or C) you might as well just jack up both middle fingers and slam down a sign that reads "It's gonna be spinoffs and D-team shit for you, baby!" It just doesn't make any sense.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Aokage said:
Crystal Bearers character design is nowhere near as kiddie as Ring of Fates. Still maybe four or five heads tall, I thought they looked pretty cool.

ah, thx .. now i`m thrilled - hope we`ll get soon pics or the trailer :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Square Enix isn't the only deciding factor here. tri-Ace co-owns the IP and they sure as hell are never working on last-gen hardware. :p
And they have a next-gen. engine they made that was fully funded by MS, why not use it for other games?

Wow, so Square´s big Wii-game is a Chocobo minigame-compilation for Wii.
I said wow -.-

X360 and PS3 get new epic RPGs and Wii another minigame-compilation.

Phthisis said:
I don't mind spending my money on hardware provided the software for it is compelling. I know it's sort of cliche now, but I buy gaming machines for what I can play on them. Software first.

Okay. Well, if you're a Square Enix fan, I hope you can afford all of the consoles.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Game developers want to make games on competent systems, not trash from seven years ago.

That's why the strongest hardware has always led every generation.

Oh wait.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
BrodiemanTTR said:
And if you come out the day after sales figures were just announced where platform A completely trashed platforms B and C to a degree never seen before (9 to 1, WTF) and tell everyone your new game's platform hasn't been decided on yet (but it's probably gonna be platform B or C) you might as well just jack up both middle fingers and slam down a sign that reads "It's gonna be spinoffs and D-team shit for you, baby!" It just doesn't make any sense.

It's not that easy to completely shift your philosophy and development overnight. They were focused on PS3, and you can't just shift to the Wii that quickly, especially when 360 is so viable in the U.S

BrodiemanTTR said:

Sure it does. Wii and DS owners have been sucking down spinoffs and D-team shit, AND LOVING IT. Perfect fit! People here will even defend if it you can scroll through menus with the waggle wand!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BrodiemanTTR said:

It's really time to get over it. Games will be thrown around everywhere. That's going to be the reality of it.

Aeana

MasterMFauli said:
Wow, so Square´s big Wii-game is a Chocobo minigame-compilation for Wii
I said wow -.-

Uh, no. It's a Mysterious Dungeon game.
There were two Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon games for PS1, too. This is not a new thing - more like a revival of a series.

Kintaro

MasterMFauli said:
I said wow -.-

Leave the thread. You're clueless.

Sure it does. Wii and DS owners have been sucking down spinoffs and D-team shit, AND LOVING IT. Perfect fit! People here will even defend if it you can scroll through menus with the waggle wand!

Sounds like you're bitter. I take it you went to the Media Create thread.

Phthisis

Miniboss1232 said:
Okay. Well, if you're a Square Enix fan, I hope you can afford all of the consoles.

I'm somewhat of a Square Enix fan; nothing hardcore, but enough of one to buy a PSP for the Star OCean series, provided it hits the U.S. I'll also eventually get a PS3, if only for the next Team Ico game, but I'll be honest that FF13 doesn't really excite me.

Being poor for 4 straight years has taught me one thing, though: if you want something, you can get it by putting in the work.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
duckroll said:

An important point. tri-Ace, especially Gotanda himself, are total tech-whores. They're not going to jump into Infinite Undiscovery and then go back to last-gen.

My money is on SO4 being PS360 multiplatform.

Aeana said:
Uh, no. It's a Mysterious Dungeon game.
There were two Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon games for PS1, too. This is not a new thing - more like a revival of a series.

Ok, better than minigames, but still nothing against The Last Remnant or Crisis Core >_<

icecream

Public Health Threat
duckroll said:
So guys, Tri-Ace is working on SO4, but does it say anywhere that they're working on SO1 and SO2 PSP? The conference report says "brand new character designs and animated FMVs by Production IG" but doesn't mention Tri-Ace anywhere. :lol
Another VP? Tose is still in business!

Eteric Rice

Troll, get out.

Yixian

Banned
MasterMFauli said:
I said wow -.-

This appears to be Nintendo's intention.

In fact, I have another request. J Jonah Jameson from the first Spiderman movie with Wada's head shouting "No main games, spinoffs! Best thing in the world for a kid your age!" Preferably with a downtrodden Wii in the corner.

Let's recap. The games Nintendo fans will have to look forward to after this show is over will be:

Chocobo Wii
FFIVDS even though I CAN ALREADY PLAY FFIV ON THE SYSTEM

Meanwhile, Sony fans get
Star Ocean 1 remake
Star Ocean 2 remake
Most likely Star Ocean 4
FF Dissidia
Last Remnant

PAY REAL CLOSE ATTENTION, NINTENDOGOERS! THIS'LL BE A SHOW FOR YOU, I TELL YA

duckroll

MasterMFauli said:
I said wow -.-

Yeah I'm really looking forward to the minigame compilation. I hear they announced a few of these minigames at the conference too:

"Step by Step"

In this minigame you move step by step on a dungeon floor. Pushing in any of the 4 directions will make Chocobo move one step in that direction.

"I'll hit you if you hit me"

Chocobo and other famous FF monsters take turns to swap attacks and whoever loses all their HP first loses.

"Item Collection Extravagenza"

In this minigame Chocobo must find as many items as possible on a dungeon floor before proceeding to the next.

"Identify a Scroll"

Chocobo uses an unidentified scroll and something magical happens. Will it be good? Will it be bad? Only the moogle knows!

I can't ****ing wait. I love minigame collections like this. :D

jj984jj

BrodiemanTTR said:
Sales figures can only take you so far, next-generation projects will not be canceled for it like Wii owners are hoping, this isn't the handheld market.

schuelma

Have the mysterious dungeon games ever been released in the U.S?

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Sales figures can only take you so far, next-generation projects will not be canceled for it like Wii owners are hoping, this isn't the handheld market.

Hey, Crisis Core is still in development!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Chris Michael said:
Scheißekopf
Anyway.

I think what Square Enix's plan to do is to ride on the "non-game fiasco" sales that is current with Wii titles whilst still maintaining an even flow of their regular "hardcore" games on both PS3 and 360. That way the Wii (and more specifically the DS) software keep up the income in the sheer hope that somehow PS3 breaks away from its shackles and storms the barnyard like a raging bull.

AniHawk

Chris Michael said:
Let's recap. The games Nintendo fans will have to look forward to after this show is over will be:

Chocobo Wii

Meanwhile, Sony fans get
Star Ocean 1 remake
Star Ocean 2 remake
Most likely Star Ocean 4
FF Dissidia
Last Remnant

We get it.

Eteric Rice

speedpop said:
Anyway.

I think what Square Enix's plan to do is to ride on the "non-game fiasco" sales that is current with Wii titles whilst still maintaining an even flow of their regular "hardcore" games on both PS3 and 360. That way the Wii (and more specifically the DS) software keep up the income in the sheer hope that somehow PS3 breaks away from its shackles and storms the barnyard like a raging bull.

I bet they're going to be really dissapointed if that's what they're waiting for.

Kintaro

Chris Michael said:

Chocobo Wii
FF IV DS even though I CAN ALREADY PLAY FFIV ON THE SYSTEM
FF: Crystal Bearers
FF: CC - Ring of Fates

Meanwhile, Sony fans get
Star Ocean 1 remake
Star Ocean 2 remake
Most likely Star Ocean 4
FF Dissidia
Last Remnant
Crisis Core

Helped you out there.

...or did I?

If all you want to see is big media create sales numbers, the DS is getting DQ9. You win.

Aeana

schuelma said:
Have the mysterious dungeon games ever been released in the U.S?

Torneko: The Last Hope, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon 2, Nightmare of Druaga, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Eteric Rice

Kintaro said:
Helped you out there.

...or did I?

If all you want to see is big media create sales numbers, the DS is getting DQ9. You win.

He meant "new" titles, not ones we've known about forever now.

schuelma

Wii fans should be excited that Crystal Bearers apparently looks impressive and will be playable this weekend.

Right guys?

Kintaro

Eteric Rice said:

Oh, in that case.

Cry harder. SE has a TON of shit for Nintendo coming out regardless.

Polari

Chris Michael said:

Chocobo Wii

Meanwhile, Sony fans get
Star Ocean 1 remake
Star Ocean 2 remake
Most likely Star Ocean 4
FF Dissidia
Last Remnant

Oh Sony fans, is this really what you've been reduced to?

jj984jj

Eteric Rice said:
Only the Star Ocean games and Chocobo's Dundeon are new. FFVI/Dissidia are from Jump and tLR is from GI.

Kintaro

schuelma said:
Wii fans should be excited that Crystal Bearers apparently looks impressive and will be playable this weekend.

Right guys?

Given barely any talk about it, I doubt they care.

Phthisis

If it makes anyone feel better, I'm pretty sure these announcements have absolutely zero effect on the enjoyment retirement home Wii-owners are having with their systems.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Only the Star Ocean games and Chocobo's Dundeon are new. FFVI/Dissidia are from Jump and tLR is from GI.

They're still new. Those mags aren't even streeting yet. They're supposed to be officially announced at the party. :p

nelsonroyale said:
Wonder how many square/ff fans are actually in this thread.... seems like its been taken over

peace

Look, I wanna steer clear from the imminent bannage but SE did say that Nintendrones sould especially pay close attention.

Not that I agree with the chorus, I'm still in the May 12th Wii megaton camp.

schuelma said:

Right guys?

ONE guy said that it looks impressive.
Right now Mario Galaxy remains the graphical benchmark of Wii, until a non-Square-fan says that FFCC:CB looks the best.

Eteric Rice

jj984jj said:

They're from like, "yesterday." They just leaked out early from what I understand.

Top Bottom