• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anecdotal Evidence: Possible U.S. 3DS Supply Constraints (Check on your preorders!)

It's really easy in the GS POS to determine who has preordered and when. If you want to be an ass, you can tell the employee: F7, enter back office. f7 to go to the reserve listing. Highlight the sku and hit enter. All the reserves pop up with the name, date and phone number.

A non retarded store will have this printed in the event of a shortage, and make the phone call to the people at the bottom. These people can then either come in and cancel their preorder or stay "in line" for the next shipment, canceling their reserve at any time if they find one at another retailer.

As for exceeding preorders of street dated stuff, again, a non retarded store will get the games in and see, for example, there are 80 copies of Homefront 360 and we have 67 reserves. Therefore, we can take reserves up to the amount we have on hand. A store that is so blinded by the idea of driving numbers will take unlimited preorders at this point at the expense of the customer.

As a rule in my store, after living through the hell of the 360 launch, I NEVER, EVER guarantee a system on launch day. You are preordering your place in line. The store down the road will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge if you want, but we try to be realistic.

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
It's really easy in the GS POS to determine who has preordered and when. If you want to be an ass, you can tell the employee: F7, enter back office. f7 to go to the reserve listing. Highlight the sku and hit enter. All the reserves pop up with the name, date and phone number.

A non retarded store will have this printed in the event of a shortage, and make the phone call to the people at the bottom. These people can then either come in and cancel their preorder or stay "in line" for the next shipment, canceling their reserve at any time if they find one at another retailer.

As for exceeding preorders of street dated stuff, again, a non retarded store will get the games in and see, for example, there are 80 copies of Homefront 360 and we have 67 reserves. Therefore, we can take reserves up to the amount we have on hand. A store that is so blinded by the idea of driving numbers will take unlimited preorders at this point at the expense of the customer.

As a rule in my store, after living through the hell of the 360 launch, I NEVER, EVER guarantee a system on launch day. You are preordering your place in line. The store down the road will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge if you want, but we try to be realistic.

I knew GameStop was a piece of shit!

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
My Gamestop in LA (on Lincoln & Pico) is doing a midnight launch. I preordered mine last year. They better fucking not be doing first come first served.

Dineren

Banned
Called my local Gamestop and they said there will be enough for preorders, but they can't guarantee there will be any extras. I changed my preorder from Amazon to Gamestop this week because I didn't want to wait the extra two days for shipping, hopefully I'm not going to end up waiting a lot longer.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I'm a little worried. On one hand, I was the first to preorder at our store by a couple weeks.

...On the other hand, I'm an employee, so If we're short I may have to wait it out for the regular customers. God damn it.

I guess I'll find out when I go in for my shift tonight.

Question for those of you who are GS employees. I preordered the 3DS on 12/26 and my receipt shows I am #4 (I'm guessing the GS employees were 1-3). I just came back from changing my color from black to the blue version and on the new receipt it shows they had to cancel my previous order to create the one for blue and now my number is 28. I should still be fine right? I still have my original receipt showing #4.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just dropped by the Atlanta Gamestop where I have my 3DS pre-ordered, to trade in some stuff. The clerk remarked that he couldn't believe all my games were complete in boxes and that the discs had no scratches, LOL.

I asked them about the availability situation and was told "if you didn't pre-order by today, you're S.O.L. at this store."

lethial

Reeeeeeee
LovingSteam said:
Question for those of you who are GS employees. I preordered the 3DS on 12/26 and my receipt shows I am #4 (I'm guessing the GS employees were 1-3). I just came back from changing my color from black to the blue version and on the new receipt it shows they had to cancel my previous order to create the one for blue and now my number is 28. I should still be fine right? I still have my original receipt showing #4.

Why don't you call the store to find out or ask them when you were there? How would anybody on here know about your order?

lethial said:
Why don't you call the store to find out or ask them when you were there? How would anybody on here know about your order?

lol. Because in my experience GS employees on the phone don't offer any information and since there are GS employees here who have offered information in this thread I figured I'd ask. Have an issue with it? How about you simply not respond.

LovingSteam said:
How can you tell what number you are from the receipt? I was first to preorder, according to the sales rep, but my receipt doesn't say 1 anywhere.

Vyse The Legend said:
How can you tell what number you ar from the receipt? I was first to preorder, according to the sales rep, but my receipt doesn't say 1 anywhere.

I may be wrong but right next to the date on the receipt you will see a code. For me its 04616/01 and there is a number next to it

Deku

Banned
I waited a year before I got my DS and I was planning on waiting for the 3DS, but the offer at best buy (1600 points -- basically $16 free store credit) was enough.

I was 5th or 6th on the list of names on the binder when the cashier took my information. Mind you this was one month ago when best buy started to advertise the pre-order. I have no idea how the list has grown since.

I had put up my Amazon pre-order way back in January just in case I wanted a 3DS on launch day, but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle dealing with UPS and their shitty delivery policies and cancelled it after I got my Best Buy pre-order.

Thoraxes

Just checked my Target.com
employee discount from family member + no target for 50 miles of where I am now + no car
pre-order. Still on schedule with two-day shipping for Wednesday the 30th, because of no shipping on Sundays.

System and a game for $270 though, sweet deal for me.

LovingSteam said:
I may be wrong but right next to the date on the receipt you will see a code. For me its 04616/01 and there is a number next to it

Yeah, that's not what that means. Also, by canceling and re reserving, you put yourself at the end of the line, if the store is following correct policy and distributing them in order of reservation date. (assuming they don't get enough to cover reservations).

Sorry, man.

Yeah, that's not what that means. Also, by canceling and re reserving, you put yourself at the end of the line, if the store is following correct policy and distributing them in order of reservation date. (assuming they don't get enough to cover reservations).

Sorry, man.

lol oh man, that sucks.

Sorry, man.

Thanks for the info. Just called, guess they're one of the stores that will not be doing first come first serve but rather holding a system for those who preordered for 48 hours.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
kunonabi said:
So are the games up for sale or just display? I might want to head out to Walmart early to ensure picking up samurai warriors.

There's five games that came out on the 22nd. Ridge Racer, Ghost Recon, Rayman, Combat of the Giants: Dinosaurs, and Asphalt 3D.

LovingSteam said:

04616 is the store number. 01 is the register number. The number next to it is the transaction number. However, that transaction number has nothing to do with your place in line for preorders. That transaction number is just for counting the transactions for that day on that register. So if your number is 28, that means you were the 28th customer rung up on register 01 that day.

Lyte Edge said:
The clerk remarked that he couldn't believe all my games were complete in boxes and that the discs had no scratches, LOL.

I consider it a small miracle any time somebody trades in a game that's in really good condition that's been out for more than a few months. I don't understand how so many people manage to fuck their games up. But time and time again, they do.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
ZealousD said:
There's five games that came out on the 22nd. Ridge Racer, Ghost Recon, Rayman, Combat of the Giants: Dinosaurs, and Asphalt 3D.

I don't know the exact date that they came out, but Sims 3 and Madden Football are also already for sale at most retailers.

Edit: As for an update on the main topic, My Gamestop called me and said they have my pre-ordered Blue 3DS waiting for me, and I have 48 hours to pick it up. BUT they took 13 pre-orders for the Blue 3DSs and 9 Black 3DSs, and are currently one Black 3DS short. They also don't expect anymore 3DSs until Mid-April and obviously no one will be able to walk-in a get a 3DS there for quite awhile.

So make sure they have YOUR 3DS in the back waiting for you. :)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If I'm not able to buy my 3DS at the NYC midnight launch event, I'm going to cry like a baby.

Hilarious.

So the ONLY time that pre-orders might actually be beneficial, Gamestop/EB fucks it up.

Having been part of that corp many, many years ago...I guaran-damn-tee some stores are getting all the 3DS they need to fill pre-orders.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Was the first to reserve at my gamestop, so some magazine racks will be feeling the pain if I get fucked on this.

Guess I'll stop in tomorrow when I'm running errands to find out what the deal is

darkressurection said:
GAMESTOP UPDATE:

Just called up my local Gamestop (which is admittedly not in a super tech savvy area) the dude I talked to said that they for sure had enough units for pre-orders. He also mentioned that tomorrow is the LAST day to preorder (Don't know if that is nationwide or not)
I think it is nationwide. The one I was at yesterday, there was some confusion about whether they were still taking reserves for both colors so they checked the latest notices and that was mentioned.

I didn't specifically ask about supply, but after reserving they asked if I'd be showing up Saturday night, so it wasn't a JodyAnthony situation of explicitly taking orders for a later shipment.
StickSoldier said:
So if the 3DS actually sells out of pre orders in UK AND NA, I wonder how many units that is compared to other systems at launch, number of units sold that is?
I don't know of any system that had a first month of 1+ million in the US. GBA was almost 900K.

Top Bottom