• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•15-17•17 - Assassin and mother! clowned, lack "IT" factor

kevin1025

Banned
It's going to have good legs, isn't October Horror month?

Yeah, it doesn't have a ton of competition until Happy Death Day really. I don't see Flatliners doing much. Unless that one night only Jeepers Creepers 3 thing blows the doors off!!!!

I think it doesn't have horror competition until... I can't believe I'm saying this... Boo 2! A Madea Halloween. And maybe Leatherface.

None this week, Jeepers Creepers 3 and the Flatliners remake next week, Happy Death Day on the 13th, The Snowman and Leatherface on the 20th, Jigsaw and The Killing of a Sacred Deer on the 27th, and that's it for theatrical horror this year.

Cult of Chucky comes out on Blu Ray on Oct 20th
There actually is a horror film out on the 22nd: Friend Request.

It's from the same studio as 47 Meters Down, and it looks pretty terrible. https://youtube.com/watch?v=8TJokf8hN_I

Scott "Starfire needs to Fuck" Lobdell?
g7whwJj.png
Yeah. lol

Worldwide Updates:

Despicable Me 3 - $1.015B
Spider-Man Homecoming - $861M
Dunkirk - $508M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $434M ($61M opening in China)
IT - $371M
Cars 3 - $357M
Annabelle Creation - $291M
War doing good in China. Thankfully. It deserved so much more. Movie is amazing.

kevin1025

Banned
How popular is the Ninjago brand for Lego? Are kids really into them as much as Star Wars, Marvel, Minecraft, etc.?

When I worked at Toys R Us some years back in the Lego section, it was the Bionicle and Star Wars that would fly off the shelves, and I rarely had to restock the Ninjago packs. Maybe it's changed since then, since I think it was fairly new at the time.

ZeoVGM

Banned
LOL @ mOther!

Afronsky's one of my favourite directors and i'll be seeing Mother but damn if it aint funny as fuck how its bombing. I have a parcel incoming tomorrow but if it arrives earlier, I go watch Mother cheappp.

Why is it "funny" exactly?

IT continuing to rip the arms off and eat the competition. Well deserved.

As for mother!, I would like to see it be more successful, but yet completely understand why audiences are reacting the way they are to it. I want to go see it again knowing what is going on to see how differently it plays. I am not sure I would have had the same visceral reaction to it if I know all that beforehand.

kswiston

The second weekend ended up being around $15M in China. Down 79%. Not good, but not super atypical for China when another big film opens either. Pretty much everything Scott Mendelson says in that article other than the grosses is wrong.

He posits that Spider-Man had the largest drop ever for a major Hollywood film, but just this year Ghost in the Shell dropped 97% in its second weekend (off of an opening around $30M). Alien Covenant also dropped over 90%.

The second weekend ended up being around $15M in China. Down 79%. Not good, but not super atypical for China when another big film opens either. Pretty much everything Scott Mendelson says in that article other than the grosses is wrong.

He posits that Spider-Man had the largest drop ever for a major Hollywood film, but just this year Ghost in the Shell dropped 97% in its second weekend (off of an opening around $30M). Alien Covenant also dropped over 90%.

Scott knows exactly what he is doing by obscuring the facts here. Spider-Man having the "biggest drop ever" gets more clicks than mentioning the others that dropped more.

Sensationalism at its best right here.

Cvie

what do we think is going to round out the top 5 for the year worldwide and dom?

dom will be
Star Wars
BatB
Wonder Woman
GotG 2
IT?

worldwide
Star Wars
BatB
FatF
Dispicable 3
Homecoming?

i guess Thor and Justice League are both outside shots for either dom or WW?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think Thor could end up being massive but top 5 worldwide will be difficult. I can see it topping Homecoming but not $1 billion.

Justice League will be interesting as it will have the Wonder Woman hype but will likely still be awful.

kswiston

what do we think is going to round out the top 5 for the year worldwide and dom?

dom will be
Star Wars
BatB
Wonder Woman
GotG 2
IT?

worldwide
Star Wars
BatB
FatF
Dispicable 3
Homecoming?

i guess Thor and Justice League are both outside shots for either dom or WW?

Domestic:
1) Star Wars
2) Beauty and the Beast

- Wonder Woman will be either #3 or #4.
- Guardians will be either #4 or #5
- I think that Justice League will take the last spot, but I am not sure of the placing yet.
- If Justice League gets a BvS reception, IT will probably be #5. Thor Ragnarok is also a dark horse.

Worldwide:

1) Star Wars
2) Beauty and the Beast
3) Fate of the Furious

- Despicable Me 3 will be either #4 or #5
- I think that Justice League will take #4 or #5.
- If Justice League fails to hit $890M (only a $17M increase over BvS), #5 might end up being Wolf Warrior 2. That and Spider-Man Homecoming will be close.

Worldwide Updates:

Despicable Me 3 - $1.015B
Spider-Man Homecoming - $861M
Dunkirk - $508M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $434M ($61M opening in China)
IT - $371M
Cars 3 - $357M
Annabelle Creation - $291M
Holy shit did IT made more in two weekends than fucking Cars 3 already??? Holy hot damn did that movie bombed (for modern Disney standards)

Holy shit did IT made more in two weekends than fucking Cars 3 already??? Holy hot damn did that movie bombed (for modern Disney standards)

The Box Office this year had no tolerance for franchise films.

Unless it was Illumination Studios, which I'm convinced regularly performs ritual sacrifice to an ancient demon god to ensure that their movies are successful.

Slayven

Anyone pointed out 2 Stephen king movies opened within one month of each other and did the exact opposite of each other?

The Box Office this year had no tolerance for franchise films.

Unless it was Illumination Studios, which I'm convinced regularly performs ritual sacrifice to an ancient demon god to ensure that their movies are successful.
I could've sworn Cars 3 was an easy billion since the first 2 did okay and it's making already billions in merchandise.

Toa TAK

Banned
I think it should be a lesson. Handle shit right and people will come
I feel like that's (almost) a general rule of thumb, though.

But yeah, in light of Steven King adaptations, you're right. I doubt The Mist TV series will do as well.

Slayven

And Sony tried to get the rights to IT. Luckily, WB/New Line got the rights and did it justice.
We almost got a sequel to IT? Damn

I still think they shoulda made it a cool ass hbo show.

Everyone was saying that.

I feel like that's (almost) a general rule of thumb, though.

But yeah, in light of Steven King adaptations, you're right. I doubt The Mist TV series will do as well.

I have not heard a good thing about the mist show.

Top Bottom