• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "return" of Final Fantasy X (PS3, VITA) still in early sevelopment stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind paying £30 RRP for this, as long as its done properly, and I mean MGS Collection levels of love. If this edges closer to the Ubisoft quality line, everyone at that company can do one.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't mind paying £30 RRP for this, as long as its done properly, and I mean MGS Collection levels of love. If this edges closer to the Ubisoft quality line, everyone at that company can do one.
This is Square-Enix... they'll sell it at full price, make it 720p with no skip cutscene function.

This is never going to be a quick and easy port. There's a LOT of FMV in FFX which not only was rendered for a smaller resolution but runs at a fixed 4:3 AR so it can seamlessly integrate with real-time gameplay sequences.

Everything will need reframing, and possibly rerendering in order to synch up.

Sony didn't do it for GoW and it looked like shit. I don't expect Square Enix to do a better job.

And the game itself needs some work too. It just doesn't look really good in HD. It's definitely no FF XII.

Did they ever explain why they just skipped over like 6 other games and went straight to ten? So weird.

Porting a PS2 game is easier than remaking SNES and PS games?

I didn't know about this, now I feel sad again that there hasn't been any news on FFVIII and VII for PC since June. Someone found out that the games' files were on Steam, but no word of if they'll ever actually come out =(

I didn't know about this, now I feel sad again that there hasn't been any news on FFVIII and VII for PC since June. Someone found out that the games' files were on Steam, but no word of if they'll ever actually come out =(

Those games are hard to get running and have fixed resolutions, which makes them look like crap on anything higher than 800x600. Don't get your hopes up and play the PlayStation versions on an emulator or a PSP.

Those games are hard to get running and have fixed resolutions, which makes them look like crap on anything higher than 800x600. Don't get your hopes up and play the PlayStation versions on an emulator or a PSP.
Played up until the 3rd disc of VIII not more than 2 years ago. I was more than happy with how it looked and ran just fine. But yes, on Vista/W7 they won't work apparently and the lack of widescreen is a tough sell. Just wish there were widescreen Steam versions of both because I don't own VII.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did they ever explain why they just skipped over like 6 other games and went straight to ten? So weird.

They wanted to skip to the best one.

*ducks*

StuBurns

Banned
It's not going to be a 'full remake', it will do whatever the Sony requirements are for an enhanced port so they can sell it for full price (or close to it) at retail.

VhQT8.jpg

Just standard with better IQ it looks absolutely on par with the PSV stuff anyway.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

"No" means also no chance to release it in the west for Square Enix. If I'm not mistaken HD Classics must be in a bundle to be sold here. One more reason to start thinking this will be a remake and not labeled as HD Classics. Unless Sony is planning to change the rules that is.

"No" means also no chance to release it in the west for Square Enix. If I'm not mistaken HD Classics must be in a bundle to be sold here. One more reason to start thinking this will be a remake and not labeled as HD Classics. Unless Sony is planning to change the rules that is.

Im sure Sony will let Square slip buy.

It wasn't the actors' fault at all. The voice direction in the game is the problem.
Both James Arnold Taylor and Hedy Burress have done great jobs with other games - in fact, Hedy even did Yuna way better in FF10-2.

The voice direction isn't even that bad overall, there are just some problems with the underlying game that kinda spoil it. Taylor does a great job with Tidus doing an annoying, cocky voice at the start and a "mature," sober voice in the narration/endgame, but Tidus' voice clips in battle never change so the whole effect is kinda spoiled.

"No" means also no chance to release it in the west for Square Enix. If I'm not mistaken HD Classics must be in a bundle to be sold here.

The specific "HD Classics" are uprezzed, asset-equivalent PS2 games running at higher resolution and framerate, with trophies added in but otherwise essentially unchanged. The reports suggest that this will be an enhanced up-port of FFX (i.e. probably 70-80% reused assets, with some content changes or additions) and therefore won't fall afoul of the same rules. Still essentially a port and not a remake, though.

I definitely wouldn't mind if they give this treatment to Final Fantasy XII, it had its fair share of issues, but it didn't stop you every 4 steps you took with a mundane random battle.

Elginer

The real question is which will come out sooner, Versus or this. A battle to the death of delayed releases. Whoever wins, we lose.
so does Square-Enix's stocks

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How is Square Enix' port and remake efforts (since they do a lot those nowadays)? I know the iOS ones are shoddy but I'm unsure about the others. Chrono Trigger NDS was a very good port, but graphically unchaged. Though they added extra dungeons and an extra ending which seems sort of tacked on in my opinion.

StuBurns

Banned
How is Square Enix' port and remake efforts (since they do a lot those nowadays)? I know the iOS ones are shoddy but I'm unsure about the others. Chrono Trigger NDS was a very good port, but graphically unchaged. Though they added extra dungeons and an extra ending which seems sort of tacked on in my opinion.

The FF4/s for PSP are a really nice port I think. I was impressed.

Grokbu

Skimming through this thread, it seems I misunderstood things, but didn't they announce that they were redoing X in XIII's engine some time ago?

Shepard

Skimming through this thread, it seems I misunderstood things, but didn't they announce that they were redoing X in XIII's engine some time ago?

That was just a roumour spread through the internet, I don't think squeenix said anything official about this.

WORTH NOTING: In A. O. Smith's most recent interview with RPGSite (I think Kagari was the interviewer, actually, but maybe I'm misremembering), he gave a non-denial denial when asked if they'd be redoing any localization and voice acting for FFX HD. I think he said something like "wouldn't that be nice."

Reveirg

WORTH NOTING: In A. O. Smith's most recent interview with RPGSite (I think Kagari was the interviewer, actually, but maybe I'm misremembering), he gave a non-denial denial when asked if they'd be redoing any localization and voice acting for FFX HD. I think he said something like "wouldn't that be nice."

That would me fantastic.

As people have said before. A remake using the most of the original engine, with slightly retouched character models, some rearranged music (from the Piano Collections and/or other arranged songs by Hamauzu? Such as the one he already recorded for his solo album).

Some of the pre-rendered background and the CG movies would have to be adapted to 16:9 though.

I'm also hoping they'll get rid of the random encounters... but that's just wishful thinking.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Someone already said this but damnit, this makes you feel like they just knee jerkingly talked about it before the conference went live and just put together a FFX photo off google images and called it good. See you in 3 years preview 1!

With how incompetent SE has been recently, this doesn't gain any confidence. Especially if it's a a true remake.

If it's just the usual HD glaze over, then I think they should throw in X-2 with it (like they did for FFIV PSP). It's a real complete remake than just the base game is fine (like with FFIV DS).

Grokbu

That rumor came from a site called PSTIME.

http://translate.google.es/translat...l-fantasy-x-para-ps3-y-psvita-sera-un-remake/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446098

There was never any actual announcement and I wouldn't trust every random game site either.

That was just a roumour spread through the internet, I don't think squeenix said anything official about this.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. For some reason, it never occured to me that it was a rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom