• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "return" of Final Fantasy X (PS3, VITA) still in early sevelopment stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts as well.

-touched up character models to maybe match those pre-recorded cutscene models (not cgi)
-geometry remaining the same but with some improved textures slapped across it
-pre-rendered backgrounds recreated in higher res or recreated in real time

I was kinda guessing maybe Sony pressured them to announce it a bit early for the Vita's sake. Not expecting any reveal until E3.

This is what I've been thinking too, and it wouldn't be so bad as long as they make it look consistently good.

The problem with some of the other HD remakes is that some things look great and highly detailed, but then some other things really stand out, like some low resolution textures, or some high resolution texture on a low polygon model.

WORTH NOTING: In A. O. Smith's most recent interview with RPGSite (I think Kagari was the interviewer, actually, but maybe I'm misremembering), he gave a non-denial denial when asked if they'd be redoing any localization and voice acting for FFX HD. I think he said something like "wouldn't that be nice."
If they got all the voice actors back and had XIII's voice director, that would be fantastic. Also if they could tweak Tidus' character model to look less like Meg Ryan, that would be great.

Oh my god. I cannot fucking unsee what my mind has seen. Why the fuck did you have to say that?
GWadR.jpg

But seriously, I hope they fix the three faces Tidus has in the game.

Squire

Banned
If they got all the voice actors back and had XIII's voice director, that would be fantastic. Also if they could tweak Tidus' character model to look less like Meg Ryan, that would be great.

That's Jack Fletcher. He's the original voice director X/X-2 anyway, so they'd definitely try to hire him before anyone else. I believe his wife Julia played Elma in both games.

And yeah, I definitely think A.O.S. basically confirmed they'll be redoing the localization. It's also worth noting James Arnold Taylor has played Tidus in all of his subsequent appearances and the same for Hedy Buress/Yuna. SE is still very much in touch the key cast members.

I love FFX, but SE is so incompetent these days that I have little hope for this.
Don't screw it up and I'll buy it, but please be within 2 years.

That's Jack Fletcher. He's the original voice director X/X-2 anyway, so they'd definitely try to hire him before anyone else. I believe his wife Julia played Elma in both games.

And yeah, I definitely think A.O.S. basically confirmed they'll be redoing the localization. It's also worth noting James Arnold Taylor has played Tidus in all of his subsequent appearances and the same for Hedy Buress/Yuna. SE is still very much in touch the key cast members.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that, he has quite the pedigree. Alexander O. Smith, in an interview, made it sound like X's localization was a clusterfuck. I think a do-over would be great.

Fantomen

Neo Member
FF X is my favorite Final Fantasy game. It was my first and i fell in love with it. Voice acting wasn't so much integrated at that time, so i thought it was awesome!

FF X-2 is a really great game too, played it soooo much. :)

Also, please remake FF XII, would look so good in HD!

Squire

Banned
Oh, I wasn't aware of that, he has quite the pedigree. Alexander O. Smith, in an interview, made it sound like X's localization was a clusterfuck. I think a do-over would be great.

He has. I actually think FFX's localization was great despite that. Square really embraced adding more cinematic qualities to games in a way I think was pretty ahead of its time for 2001. If they really have re-hired Alex and are localizing the Western version in tandem with the Eastrrn original's creation (which I'm fairly certain is a general policy, post-FFXIII), the new localization could be incredible.

Maybe a FFXII HD would mean we would get it with the dub not sounding like crap. Truly a negative with that game is its sound quailty. I wonder if this will happen though as unlike X, XII dosent seem that popular among the fandom.

As for X, I would hope for a new dub and would only ask that Rikku's voice stay the same.

Squire

Banned
Maybe a FFXII HD would mean we would get it with the dub not sounding like crap. Truly a negative with that game is its sound quailty. I wonder if this will happen though as unlike X, XII dosent seem that popular among the fandom.

As for X, I would hope for a new dub and would only ask that Rikku's voice stay the same.
Doubtful. I think they'll re-record the current dub with a new script, but I highly doubt they'll re-cast anyone unless there's an actor in particular that just can't find. SE is very into casting an actor as a character and leaving it at that. For all intents and purposes, Steve Burton IS Cloud, for example.

Mxrz

So does this mean FF12 HD is even farther away? Noooooogrrrrgh.

FF12 - couldn't they just replace the dub with the uncompressed one?

Just turn this into a list thread already.

And yeah FFX is better then XII. It's also probably more popular too. Hence why it takes priority over something like XII.

Anteater

They should bring back the 60fps it originally ran it to while they are at it.

:lol, never noticed that, I thought the original footage looked really cool though, I remember seeing the later footage and thought my eyes adjusted and didn't find it as impressive, it had playonline features too, even though I think it was only for strategy guide or whatever.

watershed

Banned
One reason SE chose FFX over any other was because X is beloved by fans and still resonates emotionally with them. According to that Famitsu poll it was the number one tear jerking game people have played. No doubt SE is relying on that emotional connection to get people to the store.

It's not going to be a 'full remake', it will do whatever the Sony requirements are for an enhanced port so they can sell it for full price (or close to it) at retail.

VhQT8.jpg

Just standard with better IQ it looks absolutely on par with the PSV stuff anyway.

This actually looks nice. Throw some animated grass and other little touches in there to make the world seem alive and give it some charm. Square Enix need to take it back to formula and start pumping out games like the old days. Hopefully, that new engine (whatever it's called) aid them in doing that. And then, hopefully, the company will shift towards being more nurturing to creative and "risky" titles like TWEWY, Vagrant Story, and (taking it way back) Live A Live.

legacyzero

Banned
They should bring the black hair back so he could look completely different than the CGI

XmMgf.png
I remember seeing this photo for the first time when it released. I remember how utterly hyped I was.

I agree though. I totally should have darker hair. He'd be less girly methinks.

Squire

Banned
FFX has topped 3 Famitsu polls at this point. All of which, FFVII and VIII also appeared on. When they release this, they're practically guaranteed 1 million units in the first week.

Random battles, Wakka, shit story, Wakka, Meg Ryan, Wakka, HA HA HA, Wakka, Yuna dressing like a granny and Wakka are better than FF XII?

Eh, great game, but it just didn't feel as much like a Final Fantasy to me. It was also long and drawn out, qualities which some see as a plus, but I personally dislike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom