• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "return" of Final Fantasy X (PS3, VITA) still in early sevelopment stages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

It's due out this year - that isn't nearly enough time to finish a complete remake of what is a pretty massive game.

My guess is that this is more of a Stranger's Wrath sort of "remake" - same basic engine, but the characters have been remodeled and animated, textures improved, etc. That's why doing this would be feasible over, say, remaking a PSone game - most of is already there, and it just need polishing.

...And, yeah, it better be the International Edition. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they made that DLC or something.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think they'll give the game the same treatment Ocarina of Time got for its 3DS release. Quite a bit more oomph than a simple HD port, but not a full remake à la REmake.

My thoughts as well.

-touched up character models to maybe match those pre-recorded cutscene models (not cgi)
-geometry remaining the same but with some improved textures slapped across it
-pre-rendered backgrounds recreated in higher res or recreated in real time

I was kinda guessing maybe Sony pressured them to announce it a bit early for the Vita's sake. Not expecting any reveal until E3.

The way this was announced always seemed fishy to me. Like Sony was desperately looking for something to announce at their conference after Nintendo dropped some bombs shortly before them. And as a result they announced a product that has yet to materialize in any meaningful form.

Gambit

You know, the article doesn't really make it seem as if it will be a full-remake. They use the exact same word (HD-Neuauflage) that they use for the Devil May Cry HD Collection and other such ports. (HD-Neuauflage could be translated as HD-remastering)

Neither the interviewer, nor Kitase make it sound like a big deal. Kitase merely says it's still early in development and he assumed he will be involved to assure the same level of quality.

I really, really doubt it's a full-blown remake. At least don't base your hopes on this interview.

Having said that, like most others in this thread I would welcome a full remake with open wallet.

Famassu

Square Enix has become dev' Hell, they announce games, keep announcing games, even tease games, even tease possible upcoming remakes and get all the shit they deserve for not even coming cloe to deliver on their promises.
This is BS. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is now the only game that has been announced a long time ago which hasn't been released yet. Dragon Quest X has also had a long development time, but hey, that's perfectly normal for MMOs and it wasn't announced until recently. The rest of their numerous projects have been released at an decent pace and have only been announced not too long before their releases.

This is the same company that spends 5 years making a single PSP game. Their crappy management has more to do with it.
There are no PSP games they took 5 years to develop. The longest were probably BBS & Type-0 with ~2-2,5 years of development.

Takao

Banned
There are no PSP games they took 5 years to develop. The longest were probably BBS & Type-0 with ~2-2,5 years of development.

Type-0 took more than 3 years given it was announced for PSP in 2008. But yeah, my 5 year mark was excessive.

also saying that he would like the "remake" to have the same quality as the original.

That sounds more like a HD Remaster than a full remake to me.

S-E are just so slow and incompetant that they can't even do a basic port of a PS2 game in good time. Bluepoint managed to port GOW 1 and 2 in just 15 weeks! It'll probably take S-E a whole year to accomplish the same feat
01laugh.gif

Lily

God of War collection apparently only took 15 weeks to finish, so i think/hope this is more than just a simple hd port job.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is never going to be a quick and easy port. There's a LOT of FMV in FFX which not only was rendered for a smaller resolution but runs at a fixed 4:3 AR so it can seamlessly integrate with real-time gameplay sequences.

Everything will need reframing, and possibly rerendering in order to synch up.

The_Monk

Im really curious to see this since I like the old school based turn in RPG's and the recently battle tactics used In FF XII and XIII are not my favorite choice.

I hope to be able to finally finish that one on the PS3 since I do not have a PS2 anymore.

Like a lot of people here, I was under the assumption this was coming out some time this year - but I also didn't realize this was a "remake."

While X remains my favorite FF game - came out at an important time in my life and has a battle system that has yet to be trumped in my opinion
followed closely by X-2
- I didn't necessarily need for this to be a remake to be satisfied. I would have been glad with a simple HD port a-la SotC and Ico. I just want to play it again and as soon as possible.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
At least give us a fucking 1080p logo.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I don't understand why this isn't a two game set. Both games should really be getting the HD treatment.

All PS2 games probably will.

They'll trickle them out with one release and then another. Why make one $40 game with X, X-2 and XII: IZJS when you can do one at a time for 40 a pop? Answer? $queenix

RedSwirl

It's be kinda cool if they could do it like Halo Anniversary - same game, but with the new engine running on top.

RPGCrazied

This will be SE's first HD port/remake? Who knows if its going to be a full remake, or just making it an HD port.

I don't care either way. Just as long as it has trophies and is the international version. Also, why in the world are they not doing X-2 along with this? Sell it as a collection? I'm sure they want to charge separately for each game though.

This will be SE's first HD port/remake? Who knows if its going to be a full remake, or just making it an HD port.

I don't care either way. Just as long as it has trophies and is the international version. Also, why in the world are they not doing X-2 along with this? Sell it as a collection? I'm sure they want to charge separately for each game though.

Yeah, and SE kind of seems to have a split personality when it comes to the ports and remakes they've done thus far. Sometimes they put forward a tremendous amount of effort, like the FF3&4 DS remakes, or rewriting the entire translation and creating new cutscenes in FFT. FF1&2 for PSP comes to mind, too. Other times, they do the absolute bare minimum, as in their iOs ports. So who knows.

SkylineRKR

I don't really need a remake of this, a HD port will suffice imho. And I think it will turn out to be a HD port anyway, perhaps with some (FMV) edits and re-recording of sound. I could understand that an FF would be taking longer to remaster than a God of War game.

I'd rather have FFXII though, I feel that quite a bit gamers missed out on it due to the HD generation starting off at that time. But they're probably going to work on X-2 after this one first.

0 HP

Don't they have to remake FFV - FFIX first?

sakaguchi always seems so personal/fond of FFV when it comes up in interviews...i think that was his thing so to speak. it seems like S-E is in a weird spot now that it's next in line to be remade, at least imo

I thought this was known as it was being remade with the ff13 engine.

That was just a rumor that really had no basis in fact. And lets be real, It would also probably take them a pretty long time to do that.

I've never rolled my eyes harder.
So what you are saying is someone's opinion on the Internet really got to you more then anything else ever? Yeah you sound like a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom