• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Am I the only one that feels suckered by all of the run roo run hype? Gameplay is extremely boring and I'm just burned out on all of the "World zone (1-X, 2-X) type games. Maybe i'm not far enough in yet. /shrug

I haven't bought into the hype myself. Looks like a very polished game, and I'm sure it's fun if it's what you're in the mood for. Of course, the gaming media adored Scribblenauts, a game I felt was a broken mess, in spite of its tremendously inspired premise. Anytime I see GAF form a collective boner, I tend to be cautious.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I haven't bought into the hype myself. Looks like a very polished game, and I'm sure it's fun if it's what you're in the mood for. Of course, the gaming media adored Scribblenauts, a game I felt was a broken mess, in spite of its tremendously inspired premise. Anytime I see GAF form a collective boner, I tend to be cautious.

I'm sure Run Roo Run is a fine game, but after reading more and more about it (despite the CRAZY hype on GAF), I said no. I know everyone here gives TA shit for being over-hype crazy on everything, but GAF has that same tendency on a lot of titles.

The same goes for Scribblenauts. I bought it on DS when it came out, and was SO disappointed with it. I was able to unload it quick without eating much cost, but for all the rave reviews it was getting (on both DS and now iOS), I found it incredibly boring and lacking. Drawing "God" and "Tornado" and "Alien" was fun for like, 10 minutes tops.

But everyone has their opinions on gaming in general, so that's why I'll use GAF opinions to get an idea on a game, but I'll always do my own research as well (YouTube gameplay videos are a Godsend).

I've been lacking time the last few days so didn't take ya up on the offer the other day. I'm game though, probably a little rusty as I haven't kept up with recent game changes.

No worries, man. But yeah, if we can muster two other keen folks, we'll get something sorted. I've only just jumped back in of late after playing other stuff, but it still remains one of the best iOS games on the market...though you wouldn't think it, given the general lack of interest around these parts! :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Am I the only one that feels suckered by all of the run roo run hype? Gameplay is extremely boring and I'm just burned out on all of the "World zone (1-X, 2-X) type games. Maybe i'm not far enough in yet. /shrug

Blow through the regular levels in an hour. Then pull your hair out with the extreme levels. They are a total cunt. Personally, I'd really live a 'medium' level of challenge that incorporates all of the game mechanics together.

Huff

Banned
Blow through the regular levels in an hour. Then pull your hair out with the extreme levels. They are a total cunt. Personally, I'd really live a 'medium' level of challenge that incorporates all of the game mechanics together.

Those are probably going to be the free levels.

Gaaraz

Is there anyway to get my coins etc from my iPhone temple run onto my iPad? I've spent so long playing it and have lots of items etc, but on the iPad I'm essentially starting afresh, and need some resurrect wings!

The best tower offense game, Anomaly Warzone just got cloud saving!

jBN6ysVSEq45S.jpg

Huge TD fan, but I had never heard of this one. It looks interesting though, I'll check it out.

Thanks!

heringer

I'm sure Run Roo Run is a fine game, but after reading more and more about it (despite the CRAZY hype on GAF), I said no. I know everyone here gives TA shit for being over-hype crazy on everything, but GAF has that same tendency on a lot of titles.

The same goes for Scribblenauts. I bought it on DS when it came out, and was SO disappointed with it. I was able to unload it quick without eating much cost, but for all the rave reviews it was getting (on both DS and now iOS), I found it incredibly boring and lacking. Drawing "God" and "Tornado" and "Alien" was fun for like, 10 minutes tops.

But everyone has their opinions on gaming in general, so that's why I'll use GAF opinions to get an idea on a game, but I'll always do my own research as well (YouTube gameplay videos are a Godsend).
To be fair, I think Scribblenauts is pretty bad too, but I like Run Roo Run.

Just buy what looks compelling to you. People too often blame Gaf for recommending a game they didn't like. What can I say? People should trust their instincts and do their own research if they think their tastes aren't aligned with what people recommend here instead of blaming others for buying something they ended up disliking.

Some people tend to overhype anything, but any experienced gamer should be familiar with that by now.

LuchaShaq

Banned

My default reaction to indie platformers is ignore them or hate them when I play them so I've played very few for more than 5-10 minutes except Super Meat Boy but gave this one more of a chance since I love Scriblenauts. I guess it just depends how burnt out you are on the genre.

hiryu

How someone feels suckered by a 99 cent game is beyond me. If I get 10 minutes of playtime out of it then it was worth it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Like someone said, 99 cent games is like going to the arcade and playing games. Except you keep the games and you may end up playing for hours

Manus

Man playing Epic Astro Story on the work Android phone and it's amazing. I hope it comes to iOS quick.

ParityBit

How someone feels suckered by a 99 cent game is beyond me. If I get 10 minutes of playtime out of it then it was worth it.

Man, I used to pay 2 bucks in quarters to play Afterburner in the arcade on hard. I would die in less than a minute sometimes. Then I would do it again!

What is the issue with 99 cents? I don't it!

Man, I used to pay 2 bucks in quarters to play Afterburner in the arcade on hard. I would die in less than a minute sometimes. Then I would do it again!

What is the issue with 99 cents? I don't it!

Probably kids without jobs.

After being in the console/handheld scene for so long, I'm downright giddy that I only have to pay $1-$7 for games these days.

blahness

After being in the console/handheld scene for so long, I'm downright giddy that I only have to pay $1-$7 for games these days.

not just kids without jobs. many of my co-workers can't break down and spend .99 on a game and would rather play free crap games. I drives me up the wall when they start going on about how fun this turtle with a jetpack free game is. I can't understand why they would not want to get the most out of their devices.

GeekyDad

I agree. "I'm downright giddy that I only have to pay $1-$7 for games these days" as well, but I was also a kid without a job once, so I know what it's like to make every quarter count. I don't begrudge anyone that.

I don't think that's what we're talking about here, though. What we're talking about is, well, just talking. It's a discussion forum. We talk about what games we like, what games we don't like, what we like about those games...

For me, I just love the process of weeding out games. To be perfectly honest, I probably don't play half the shit I buy. I get my rocks off more from collecting good shit, so I scrutinize every freebie and $0.99 game on the App Store. Don't give a shit if someone doesn't "get it." Fuck 'em. ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I have spent my fair share of money on games on the app store, as many of us here have. I've also bought a game for $1 that I got more out of than I did a game I spent $5 on. It's not as much that everyone is whining about spending $1 on a game, but that some of us don't deem said game as being worth $1.

Let's use an arcade example (random game names incoming) - do you play every racing game or fighter in an arcade? I don't. In fact, there are very few games I enjoy at an arcade anymore, so I'm quite selective with how I spend that quarter. Some people love racing sims and find it to be worth their $1 per play, but those same people scoff at $0.25 for a game of Ass Kicker or whatever the shit they have. Others are the exact opposite. And in fact, some people may try those racing games if they were cheaper, but for one game of Racing Extreme, they can get four rounds in of Ass Kicker - a game they KNOW they'll enjoy.

Basically, I think people need to stop harping on people who complain about or bitch about the price of a game. I've done it, just as many of us have. There are other factors involved in how we view the price of an iOS game, and thus how we value said game. I won't spend $0.99 on Run Roo Run, for example, because it doesn't look fun to me. But I dropped a couple dollars on Aralon when that first released because it looked (and is!) awesome.

Again, it's not fair to bitch about those of us who won't "try" a game at $1 when there are plenty of games others won't "try" for $1.

Fox Mulder

The extreme levels haven't been hard for me, apart for one or two. The hook for me is shaving off milliseconds to climb the leader boards.

Flunkie

Banned
Shit, I'm even okay if I don't like a game at 99 cents. Run Roo Run and Super Crate Box are both recent games that I'm not too crazy about, but it's two dollars. I played them and tried to like them and still got 5 minutes of enjoyment. Whatever. I move on.

Edit: okay, cumulatively probably an hour of playtime.. still value for games that aren't the greatest imo

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Huge TD fan, but I had never heard of this one. It looks interesting though, I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Tower Defense with the twist that you're the "attacker".

Personally I double-dipped from the Mac version. That one is a little more fleshed out story & cutscene-wise and a bit harder than the iOS version due to you controlling a person running around rather than just tapping things but regardless, a magnificent game.

Hope you enjoy!

heringer

So, I'm at work. Hear a notification, open Hero Academy and play a turn in like 10 seconds.

Then I work some more. Hear another notification, this time for Ascension. I open my iPhone and play another turn in seconds.

Work some more, rinse and repeat.

This is portable gaming as God intended.

So, I'm at work. Hear a notification, open Hero Academy and play a turn in like 10 seconds.

Then I work some more. Hear another notification, this time for Ascension. I open my iPhone and play another turn in seconds.

Work some more, rinse and repeat.

This is portable gaming as God intended.

YES YES a million times YES!

Asynchronous or BUST!

dream

So, did anyone get that Jazz: Trump's journey game? Seems like the translations are kinda bad, but it plays pretty well.

I just can't do it. I'm too much of an English nerd to support something so poorly translated.

...unless it drops to 99c, that is.

Crumpet

Neo Member
The extreme levels haven't been hard for me, apart for one or two. The hook for me is shaving off milliseconds to climb the leader boards.

In regards to Run Roo Run I don't understand how its possible to shave off milliseconds. The character seems to travel at the same pace throughout. I was expecting it to be more like 1000 heroes where a perfect landing on a slope would propel you at a greater speed. Is it just a case of getting over obstacles as efficient as possible ?

Fox Mulder

In regards to Run Roo Run I don't understand how its possible to shave off milliseconds. The character seems to travel at the same pace throughout. I was expecting it to be more like 1000 heroes where a perfect landing on a slope would propel you at a greater speed. Is it just a case of getting over obstacles as efficient as possible ?

You go faster when you jump

GeekyDad

They should change the title to Stole Kart. I was watching some video of the game, and wow, they stole just about every possible piece of the Mushroom Gorge track design.

Flunkie

Banned
Just added a $50 iTunes gift card from Christmas and it's already burning a hole in my pocket. I was debating between Dodonpachi and Bug Princess, and while I like Resurrection more based on the Lite version, I wanted a little creativity/uniqueness to my first Cave game. So I got Bug Princess. Kinda low-res on iPad though. :(

Also picked up Smash Cops and I'm not impressed. It seems.. messy. Thought it might get better after 20 minutes of play and it just seemed to get more frustrating.

Contemplating SoulCalibur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom