• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromat

It's actually really impressive to play Soul Calibur on a phone. It looks and sounds fantastic and runs very well generally.
The controls are OK overall but doing moves that require two-face buttons at once is kind of hard.
I really hope they'll update it with some extra modes and multiplayer though. Bought on potential and love for the original, but not really worth it for now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
what the FUCK! God the early level 20's just kill me.. this will take some time

You're close to the end then, the last level is 21 which is kinda a remix of the whole game. What you can do is go back to the last level you were doing really well on and start again from there, keeping your high score intact. That way you can practice on the harder levels with your lives intact and make a cumulative highscore.

I got the number 3 score in one playthrough and I was only a few thousand away from 2 and 1, so I went back and did levels 20 and 21 again knowing what was in store for me, bumped my score up by about 500k. Bending your shots is the key, as well as deflecting the bombs away from you. I know I can do way better than this too, I'm going to work on a perfect no-death run over the next week, see how hard I can own this thing :D

Games that make you rage on iOS

Also get this game while it is still free, it is good.
mzl.ukuyahao.320x480-75.jpg

bob page

Just a notice to anyone I'm playing Hero Academy with (at uncleguito): I have no idea what I'm doing yet so don't judge me, haha. Fun stuff though.

Zeth

YAY Retinapad, I've missed you so!

iCade users check out Blutrol! Apparently it's amazing, let's you map buttons yourself for anything with on screen controls (I think).

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So I finally installed Temple Run, after hearing you guys rave about it, and thinking it looked stupid.

Killed my battery twice today.. it's always.. one more run.

Can't break a million yet, but still unlocking everything.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So I finally installed Temple Run, after hearing you guys rave about it, and thinking it looked stupid.

Killed my battery twice today.. it's always.. one more run.

Can't break a million yet, but still unlocking everything.

Yup, it's surprisingly fun. Probably one of the better freemium games out there

Shaneus

iCade users check out Blutrol! Apparently it's amazing, let's you map buttons yourself for anything with on screen controls (I think).
Now that the JB is out, I can finally justify buying an iControlPad just for Blutrol. Woo!

It's fun. It can definitely get hectic but it isn't annoying. The game's music and overall presentation makes the game more calm.

Also, wow, Puzzlejuice is only $0.99 now? I got it for $3.00 a few hours after it came out :(

Oh well... it's a great game.

Thanks for the "not annoying" recommendation. For a dollar I picked it up and I'm enjoying it. It is, as you said, hectic but not annoying. I refused the invitation to step up to the "real" difficulty and eventually had to suicide at level 51 with over 19 million points because the difficulty just wasn't ramping up enough. Then I found out I hadn't been signed in to Game Center and I didn't get on the leaderboard. I would have been #18.

Zeth

RetinaPad just displays the full retina resolution on your iPad. For whatever reason, Apple chooses to downgrade them to 480x320. So most retina apps look great with RetinaPad enabled.

Of course it's no secret some apps take short cuts with lower res assets because of the small iPhone screen, but in general text will always be super clear, and there are loads of apps that are 100% perfect looking. (tweetbot for example)

Zeth

Why is the ipad not able to run iphone retina apps properly anyway?

I'm kinda hoping this will be amended in the coming months, especially if we get an iPad with a retina display. The least they could do is give iPad 1/2 owners native res iPhone apps. And maybe some kind of pixel doubling for iPad 3? now I'm just dreaming.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So Dungeon Raid is stupid fun, completely addicted to it right now. But yet I still want to get more .99 games damn u iOS!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Man if I could play Avadon on the iPhone, that'd be incredible.

Manax

Just to clarify, the "RPG" part of Dungeon Hunter is only for as long as you can keep a single game going, right? The stuff you gain throughout a single run doesn't carry over? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. So far, it seems more like a high-scores game than a true RPG. Cool concept, but kinda losing interest quick without feeling like I'm working toward something and/or building up a character.

Are you talking about dungeon raid? You don't keep items but you can level up the class or unlock new classes in a run

(play normal every 10 boss kills you get a trophy touch it to unlock a new class 100% chance as an adventurer 50 50 to unlock a class or level up the class if you're another class as adventurer is the only one that doesnt level up)

Apologies if it's not dungeon raid that shit rocks btw

Psy-Phi

Missed it too...but it still doesn't work with Tiny Wings :(. I no longer have as many iPhone only apps on my iPad...guess that game isn't even in Retina mode on the iphone? FullForce sort of works, makes it full screen, but doesn't allow interaction with the screen.

Still hoping for a Tiny Wings HD.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Honestly, I think it'd suck without a major UI redesign to accommodate for the (relatively) tiny screen.

review-avadon-the-black-fortress-hd-2.jpg

Definitely, just wishful thinking. I haven't come across any meaty games for the iPhone so far.

japtor

Just added a $50 iTunes gift card from Christmas and it's already burning a hole in my pocket. I was debating between Dodonpachi and Bug Princess, and while I like Resurrection more based on the Lite version, I wanted a little creativity/uniqueness to my first Cave game. So I got Bug Princess. Kinda low-res on iPad though. :(

Also picked up Smash Cops and I'm not impressed. It seems.. messy. Thought it might get better after 20 minutes of play and it just seemed to get more frustrating.

Contemplating SoulCalibur.
Just pick one to buy, it'll be like they all went on a firesale...but you spent it all on one game. Choose wisely of course since you're too cheap to get more than one, if even that. Then play and forget that you might be missing out on a few 99 cent pieces of shit.
Pick DDP:R too and stop buying pieces of shit! Why must you waste money and punish yourself!
For what it's worth, every Cave release aside from Espgaluda II HD (iPad 2 only) has the same resolution graphics (the original arcade versions only rendered at 240x320). Bug Princess just has the bonus of not having the zoom button ready to screw you over when you accidentally slide your finger on it.
There's another slight difference actually. Since the iPad one isn't running 2x it's scaling from 240x320 to whatever zoom level (other than small) whereas the iPhone versions are doing the system 2x on top of whatever scaling the game is already doing.

Omikaru

Anyone having trouble with the Scribblenauts DLC? As in, it's not actually appearing.

I've updated the app, and uninstalled and re-downloaded it just now, but the in-app purchase doesn't appear on the level select screen.

Is there anything I have to unlock to see them, or is this just a bug?

Okay, stupid question about Squids. I'm stuck on like the third level, it's the one with the blowfish. Every time I try to smash into him he just hits me for damage. How am I supposed to beat him?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
SO, this jailbreak thing has me interested, but I have a couple of questions. Firstly, whenever I update my OS through iTunes it will brick my iDevice (both pad and phone, I think it's to do with a botched iTunes installation but I can't figure out how to fix it without gutting absolutely everything) - I'm worried that a jailbreak will do a similar thing and just cause hassle.

Second, is it Mac only so far?

It looks interesting to me but I don't know where to start reading up on it, any pointers?

I saw some guy downloading things from the net and using a file browser on a vid once, that sounds worth the effort alone!

SO, this jailbreak thing has me interested, but I have a couple of questions. Firstly, whenever I update my OS through iTunes it will brick my iDevice (both pad and phone, I think it's to do with a botched iTunes installation but I can't figure out how to fix it without gutting absolutely everything) - I'm worried that a jailbreak will do a similar thing and just cause hassle.

Second, is it Mac only so far?

It looks interesting to me but I don't know where to start reading up on it, any pointers?

I saw some guy downloading things from the net and using a file browser on a vid once, that sounds worth the effort alone!

Not sure about that first question.

Only the Mac jailbreak is out so far. Windows should be coming soon. EDIT: lmao that was quick. Windows version out now.

Also, it may be better to ask in the iOS Jailbreak thread

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Listening to this week's Rebel FM, Ryan O'Donnell is giving Wario64 some insane props for his Crate Box skills. Wario, download this shit and feel your massive ego grow :D

GeekyDad

Are you talking about dungeon raid? You don't keep items but you can level up the class or unlock new classes in a run

(play normal every 10 boss kills you get a trophy touch it to unlock a new class 100% chance as an adventurer 50 50 to unlock a class or level up the class if you're another class as adventurer is the only one that doesnt level up)

Apologies if it's not dungeon raid that shit rocks btw

Ah, yes. Sorry about that. I meant Dungeon Raid. Not sure why I typed Dungeon Hunter. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding the RPG elements. It is definitely a fun game. Now that I see you can level up classes, each with their own perks, it feels more like I'm working toward something. Guess I'll spend more time as the adventurer class to ensure I unlock all of the different classes. So far, I've got the raider unlocked.

Thanks

Deszaras

Neo Member
Hey guys,

Been trying to remember the ipad Strategy game like FInal Fantasy Tactics but it was in development and i forgot the name of it. Wanted to know if it was released yet. Heard a lot of good buzz but then it got quiet.

GeekyDad

Hey guys,

Been trying to remember the ipad Strategy game like FInal Fantasy Tactics but it was in development and i forgot the name of it. Wanted to know if it was released yet. Heard a lot of good buzz but then it got quiet.

Song Summoner perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom