• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
hey iMame gaf! I took my iCade and iPad out to a games fest tonight and all went swimmingly, everyone loved it.

BUT - iMame seems to have mapped the B button (ie, fire) to some kind of reset function. Does anyone know how to fix this, or how to remap controls in general? I read the readme and it says to hold "start" and "select" to get to some kind of controls menu which is kinda confusing since there is no "select" button... argh!

Hey guys,

I just got my first Ipad. What are the must have games I need to get? I downloaded the demo versions of some of the Cave shooters, Pheonix Wright and Puzzle Agent.

I have $6 left on my iTunes gift card. What should I pick up with that money?

What kind of games do you like?

Hey guys,

I just got my first Ipad. What are the must have games I need to get? I downloaded the demo versions of some of the Cave shooters, Pheonix Wright and Puzzle Agent.

I have $6 left on my iTunes gift card. What should I pick up with that money?

World of Goo is a great puzzle game, Carcassone is an awesome board game, Avadon is a sweet throw back RPG with a whole ton of content, The Bard's Tale is a fantastic top down ARPG, Dungeon Fantasy is an exceptional 8 bit RPG with content always being updated, spelltower is my favorite word game!

I can't speak for everyone, but those screenshots really put me off. Looks really bland.

I played the tutorial a couple of weeks ago and then put it aside. It didn't grab me and say "you have to keep playing." I'll go back to it, but for now it's another game in my backlog pile.

As much as I love the music in Puzzlejuice, it just isn't grabbing me like SpellTower. Interesting puzzle concept though and will definitely keep playing it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Don't know if it has been posted yet, but Siliconera reports that Konami has released a sequel to "Ash" (never heard of it), titled Ash 2: Shadows.

Ash 2 comes in Gold and Silver editions. If you buy the Silver edition ($3), you get Chapter 2 for free and have to pay for all future downloadable chapters. If you buy the Gold edition ($5), you get all future DLC chapters for free.

Trailer.

mJtbL.jpg

nfb4M.jpg

udivision

Don't know if it has been posted yet, but Siliconera reports that Konami has released a sequel to "Ash" (never heard of it), titled Ash 2: Shadows.

Trailer.

mJtbL.jpg

nfb4M.jpg

Um... why is Konami releasing a game that uses RPG Maker graphics? Like... ripped directly from RPG Maker...?

I'm guessing the original Ash was made on RPG Make judging by the trailer.

Last time I posted this, it wasn't on the store yet around the world , so here it is again for those of you who missed it.

Lol-A-Coaster
Price: Free
http://itunes.apple.com/app/lol-a-coaster/id490374305

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKE9gIregDY

2NVUl.jpg

FyjeG.jpg

What's it like: Advergame that doesn't suck (ho ho) for Chupa Chups, a lollipop brand. Lots of great art + animation, simple controls, stuff to unlock, fantastic music. It, like my love, won't cost you a thing. No in-app purchases, no over-the-top advertising. A genuinely good game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why people aren't picking that up in droves is bizarre, especially given the recent Hero Academy craze. Cheapskates? No multiplayer? No scoreboard?

Boggles the mind.
It's not an instant gratification game that tells you how awesome you are for every move. It's a niche game so of course isn't going to get as much attention as the usual high selling titles but it should do alright. Maybe they could port it to other platforms too, the rules system is pretty good, people would even double dip on PC/Mac or elsewhere if they could make a few additions like higher resolution output and maybe multiplayer modes and custom campaign/map support.

Shaneus

Last time I posted this, it wasn't on the store yet around the world , so here it is again for those of you who missed it.

Lol-A-Coaster
Price: Free
http://itunes.apple.com/app/lol-a-coaster/id490374305

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKE9gIregDY

http://i.imgur.com/2NVUl.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FyjeG.jpg[IMG]

What's it like: Advergame that doesn't suck (ho ho) for Chupa Chups, a lollipop brand. Lots of great art + animation, simple controls, stuff to unlock, fantastic music. It, like my love, won't cost you a thing. No in-app purchases, no over-the-top advertising. A genuinely good game.[/QUOTE]
The more I think about it, the more it baffles me that it actually has less advertising than Zool 2.

It's not an instant gratification game that tells you how awesome you are for every move. It's a niche game so of course isn't going to get as much attention as the usual high selling titles but it should do alright. Maybe they could port it to other platforms too, the rules system is pretty good, people would even double dip on PC/Mac or elsewhere if they could make a few additions like higher resolution output and maybe multiplayer modes and custom campaign/map support.

Yeah, I'm hoping their multiplayer app - planned as the next big project after the release of this upcoming free DLC campaign - will garner a few more fans. Sales haven't been too crash hot, I'm led to believe, but that's the difficulty with choosing such a platform.

I though the FFT fans might have been interested in it, but it does have a little more in common with Koei's games than Squares.

Just finished all the levels in Run Roo Run. Of the popular "cute characters", quick fix apps, I'd rank them like this:

Where's My Water > Run Roo Run > Cut the Rope > Angry Birds

Just finished all the levels in Run Roo Run. Of the popular "cute characters", quick fix apps, I'd rank them like this:

Run Roo Run over Cut the Rope? I wasn't very interested in it, but ranking it over Cut the Rope is...

I fucking love Cut the Rope. And Where's My Water is the only universal app of the four. =(

Have you guys heard about this game:

tumblr_ly49cxLbh91qzuex9o1_r1_500.png

It's called Waking Mars, and it's by Tiger Style games, the creators of what I considered still the greatest iOS game (Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor).

It looks like another atmospheric/story driven game kinda like Metroid where you are exploring an alien planet and trying to collect plants. There's obviously going to be more than that just like in Spider.

I can't freaking wait for this thing. The industry needs to keep an eye on this developer. Spider rocked so much.

bubnbob

Banned

Sweet, so I don't have to bother with the other apps then. Where's My Water forever

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just google GemRB as in his post.

Basically a new open source crossplatform engine that supports Infinity Engine games. Or something.

It's called Waking Mars, and it's by Tiger Style games, the creators of what I considered still the greatest iOS game (Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor).

It looks like another atmospheric/story driven game kinda like Metroid where you are exploring an alien planet and trying to collect plants. There's obviously going to be more than that just like in Spider.

I can't freaking wait for this thing. The industry needs to keep an eye on this developer. Spider rocked so much.

That looks great. Cheers for the heads up!

---

Putting out a final call for anyone up for a big game of Starbase Orion? Tunesmith and myself...any other folks care to join?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

Read the title as "Making Wars" somehow.

Finished Run Roo Run yesterday. That was a delicious slice of what iOS gaming can be. Nicely presented throwaway fun with an optional poke towards more hardcore play. The IAP was almost invisible as well. Big fan of that game.

lol, not sure how long it will last, but someone put up a Dominion app last night. It's just the base game, but it uses all the original artwork. It's also free, and unofficial, so it will probably get pulled at any point.

edit: Rio Grande said that they won't make them remove it until their official one comes out, which they said should be in a few weeks.

Radogol

Run Roo Run over Cut the Rope? I wasn't very interested in it, but ranking it over Cut the Rope is...

I fucking love Cut the Rope. And Where's My Water is the only universal app of the four. =(

Those posts sold me on Run Roo Run, so good job. Having finished the first two chapters though, I don't see how it even begins to touch Cut the Rope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom