• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I have around 40 but I tend to only use around 25-30.

I have like 170 stocked. And I'm on iPhone

Balllllin

PxRo5.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyone know what the "other" stuff taking up space are and how to find/delete what I don't need to make space for more stuff if possible? It's almost a GB.

HBP

Anyone know what the "other" stuff taking up space are and how to find/delete what I don't need to make space for more stuff if possible? It's almost a GB.

Had this issue recently, if your device failed to sync some apps it saves a zip file
In a folder called applicationarchives, mine was almost 2GB. You have to use a desktop app like iexplorer to delete the file.

Alexios

And there's nothing potentially useful in that folder, right? Thanks.

Edit: free alternatives to iexplorer? I can use the trial now I guess but for the future.

Edit again: my bad, went to their downloads page and they had other programs' trials first.

Fusebox

Banned
iexplorer was free when I used it recently?

"iExplorer is 100% free, fully functional and not bundled with lots of crappy toolbars or other stuff to mess up your computer. If you like iExplorer and insist on paying us for it, checkout our store and maybe buy the full version of one of our other programs."

Utako

Banned
I just read the "Best" iOS Games List and am horribly dissapointed.

Battleheart, which is literally a grindfest, clobbers Final Fantasy Tactics, the greatest SRPG of all time? Game Dev Story, a game that is only fun in the middle, which lasts about 5 hours of doing the same thing over with minor improvement, gets #2 iOS game? Ever??

There are tons of examples like this. I can only assume that those who participated in the vote have extremely… straight-forward taste in games.

Fusebox

Banned
FFT probably got downvoted due to the fact most have already played it and there's no iPad version available yet. What games did you vote for?

Zeth

The list that resulted from that thread sucks. But at least it's an ok starting point for people new to the platform.

polg

a bit lttp but... omg at Triple Town!

if it didn't have the moves restriction... I'd be playing all day non stop...

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Why don't we make a more current list?

Is is a good starting place though, worked for me, although I regret buying Game Dev Story.

Alexios

ApplicationArchives folder is empty in my iPad2... path is var\mobile\media\
Or are the files invisible and I should delete the whole folder?
If not, what else could "other" data be?

Edit: I even did a backup/restore as was suggested online (the problem seems quite common) and it didn't fix it.
Edit: actually, that process increased "other" as it was 0.82 GB and now it's 0.83...
Edit: now it's 0.81, I guess it flunctuates a bit at first...
Edit: and back to 0.82 after I deleted Broken Sword, buh...

Manax

ApplicationArchives folder is empty in my iPad2... path is var\mobile\media\
Or are the files invisible and I should delete the whole folder?
If not, what else could "other" data be?

Edit: I even did a backup/restore as was suggested online (the problem seems quite common) and it didn't fix it.
Edit: actually, that process increased "other" as it was 0.82 GB and now it's 0.83...
Edit: now it's 0.81, I guess it flunctuates a bit at first...

i always thought it was extra data for applications

i use comic zeal and assume all the comic files fall under "other"

Alexios

I don't have any such things yet though, all my media or whatever are for the default programs and accounted for in capacity...

SteveWD40

Battleheart, which is literally a grindfest, clobbers Final Fantasy Tactics, the greatest SRPG of all time? Game Dev Story, a game that is only fun in the middle, which lasts about 5 hours of doing the same thing over with minor improvement, gets #2 iOS game? Ever??

There are tons of examples like this. I can only assume that those who participated in the vote have extremely… straight-forward taste in games.

lolopinions.

Battleheart is well optimized, universal and cheap, FFT is (or was) slow as fuck on anything but a 4S, no iPad version, expensive and many have played before.

It's a better game, but that list was about how well these games play on our phones / ipads.

PittaGAF

iPhone+async gaming=GAMING NIRVANA.

Just saying.

I had many triple A console titles to play this weekend (starting with Skyrim) but all I was able to do was Ascension on my iPhone.
All of a sudden, games I would had sinked 8 straight hours in the past are meaningless to me.

Am I the only one?

iPhone+async gaming=GAMING NIRVANA.

Just saying.

I had many triple A console titles to play this weekend (starting with Skyrim) but all I was able to do was Ascension on my iPhone.
All of a sudden, games I would had sinked 8 straight hours in the past are meaningless to me.

Am I the only one?

Nope, for the past few months I have done all of my gaming on an iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. I'm just now starting to catch up on some of the bigger titles from last year. (Arkham City, Sonic Generations, etc.)

MarkusRJR

My year old iPod Classic's hard drive is fucked up (I usually used it for winter jogs in negative 20 celsius so that's probably why it went stopped working) and I'm picking up a white 32gb iPod Touch today with a $50 iTunes gift card. Here's the games/apps I'm gonna be getting, tell me if I'm missing any big ones:

Free Games/Apps
Instagram
Facebook
Tumblr
Cineplex Mobile
The Weather Network
Dictionary.com
Adobe Photoshop Express
Epicurious
Netflix
StumbleUpon
Yelp
Crush the Castle
Cube Runner
Tiny Tower
Temple Run

Paid Games/Apps
Hipstamatic
Angry Birds
Cut the Rope
Fruit Ninja
Tiny Wings
Doodle Jump
Plants vs. Zombies
World of Goo
Minecraft: Pocket Edition
Scribblenauts Remix
Bloons TD4
Robot unicorn Attack
Chrono Trigger
Game Dev Story
Infinity Blade

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
My year old iPod Classic's hard drive is fucked up (I usually used it for winter jogs in negative 20 celsius so that's probably why it went stopped working) and I'm picking up a white 32gb iPod Touch today with a $50 iTunes gift card. Here's the games/apps I'm gonna be getting, tell me if I'm missing any big ones:

Free Games/Apps
Instagram
Facebook
Tumblr
Cineplex Mobile
The Weather Network
Dictionary.com
Adobe Photoshop Express
Epicurious
Netflix
StumbleUpon
Yelp
Crush the Castle
Cube Runner
Tiny Tower
Temple Run

Paid Games/Apps
Hipstamatic
Angry Birds
Cut the Rope
Fruit Ninja
Tiny Wings
Doodle Jump
Plants vs. Zombies
World of Goo
Scribblenauts Remix
Bloons TD4
Robot unicorn Attack
Chrono Trigger
Game Dev Story
Infinity Blade

Infinity Blade 2 is out. Also, Real Racing 2 perhaps. Where's my water? Bike Baron is good too. Actually there are heaps of good games on ios...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Free Games/Apps
Instagram
Facebook
Tumblr
Cineplex Mobile
The Weather Network
Dictionary.com
Adobe Photoshop Express
Epicurious
Netflix
StumbleUpon
Yelp
Crush the Castle
Cube Runner
Tiny Tower
Temple Run

Paid Games/Apps
Hipstamatic
Angry Birds
Cut the Rope
Fruit Ninja
Tiny Wings
Doodle Jump
Plants vs. Zombies
World of Goo
Scribblenauts Remix
Bloons TD4
Robot unicorn Attack
Chrono Trigger
Game Dev Story
Infinity Blade

I'd skip Minecraft and Robot Unicorn, they're OK but not the best games (and Minecraft is both gimped and expensive). I don't even know where to start with good games though, waaaaay too many.
ah fuck it, get Super Crate Box and League of Evil for some platforming masocore goodness, Drop7 is the best puzzler on iOS and GTA3 is impressive just technically. But there are so many more I'm forgetting too...

Starbase Orion!

Quoting for interstellar truth. Oh, for the love of GOD, this should on everyone's machine. Conquer a galaxy, subjugate enemies, utilise espionage and sabotage, develop planets, build starbases and vast fleets of ships from the smallest of frigates to space cruisers!

...all within the comfort of asynchronicity. To maximise chin-strokery and forging that master plan.

Speaking of which, looks like it's just us, Tune. Shall I kick off a game?

Is it me or is this game a bit like Alpha Centauri? Can you give me a quick (very quick) review? Specially of the MP?

Hmmm, more like Masters of Orion 2, if that helps. You choose a race - each with their own attributes, benefits and negatives - and kick off a campaign of exploring star systems from your homeworld. Once colonised, it's then a case of building up population - the rudimentary grease of the galactic empire gears - developing planets, researching through a tech tree and building up fleets for either or both decimation of enemy fleets and/or planetary invasion. (There's also a nice side of civil developments, too...)

The multiplayer is essentially the same as a single player game, with room for a max of four players in a large galaxy. It's good, because the game (unless toggled otherwise) fast-forwards over idle moves and keeps the game speed going at a brisk pace. It's kinda hard to explain, but it keeps the early game brisk and once players have a lot of projects on the go, fleets moving between systems and other "milestones" and projects being completed in the mid to late game, you won't notice the difference.

Really good, nice and deep. Best iOS multiplayer experience by far...if you're into that sort of thing.

How are people getting such crazy runs in Roo Roo Run?!! I am shaving my time but some time are crazy short?!

Thank you! I was 1st on Chapter 6 I think and in the top on a few other ones. Suddenly people are beating my scores by like 10 seconds, when I can only shave maybe a few .01's here and there. I don't want to say cheating but I mean WTF

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
How are people getting such crazy runs in Roo Roo Run?!! I am shaving my time but some time are crazy short?!
Thank you! I was 1st on Chapter 6 I think and in the top on a few other ones. Suddenly people are beating my scores by like 10 seconds, when I can only shave maybe a few .01's here and there. I don't want to say cheating but I mean WTF
There are (were?) cheaters, there was a bit of talk about it in this page of the previous thread. I don't know if it was fixed, maybe they're at it again?

SmokyDave

Finished Tintin over the weekend. Y'know, it's pretty damned good. Every level seemed to switch up the mechanics, there was a decent mix of 'on-screen d-pad' and tap & swipe controls and the 'Cut the Rope' style mini-games interspersed throughout were enjoyable. Presentation was groovy too.

Basically, Gameloft are learning, slowly but surely. I wouldn't recommend the game because there are some on-screen d-pad moments and a couple of frustrating bits*, but it's definitely a step-up from their usual clone nonsense.

*I nearly put my finger through my iPhone screen while doing the 'guard the candle' bit.

GeekyDad

Quoting for interstellar truth. Oh, for the love of GOD, this should on everyone's machine. Conquer a galaxy, subjugate enemies, utilise espionage and sabotage, develop planets, build starbases and vast fleets of ships from the smallest of frigates to space cruisers!

...all within the comfort of asynchronicity. To maximise chin-strokery and forging that master plan.

Watched a bit of gameplay video of it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it safe to assume it's basically Civ in space?

PittaGAF

Is there a solid list of the better asynchronous multiplayer stuff?

Personally between:

Ascension
Carcassonne
Hero Academy
Poker Pals
Uniwar

I can't have ANYTHING done.

In that order too (but I bought Ascension only 10 days ago and I LOVE it...after a solid year of Carcassonne).
I prefer the fast games of Ascension, but it's undeniable that Carcassonne, as far as async gaming goes, is the sleekest game.

The day when Ascension will get realtime ingame chat, things will change tough...

Seriously, get both....gather a bunch of friends (better if from various timelines so no matter what the time of the day you will always have someone to play with) and belive me...you won't play anything else.

The amout of fun I got from Ascension is incredible...I felt stupid waiting so long to get the game, can't wait for the next expansion.

PittaGAF

Hmmm, more like Masters of Orion 2, if that helps. You choose a race - each with their own attributes, benefits and negatives - and kick off a campaign of exploring star systems from your homeworld. Once colonised, it's then a case of building up population - the rudimentary grease of the galactic empire gears - developing planets, researching through a tech tree and building up fleets for either or both decimation of enemy fleets and/or planetary invasion. (There's also a nice side of civil developments, too...)

The multiplayer is essentially the same as a single player game, with room for a max of four players in a large galaxy. It's good, because the game (unless toggled otherwise) fast-forwards over idle moves and keeps the game speed going at a brisk pace. It's kinda hard to explain, but it keeps the early game brisk and once players have a lot of projects on the go, fleets moving between systems and other "milestones" and projects being completed in the mid to late game, you won't notice the difference.

Really good, nice and deep. Best iOS multiplayer experience by far...if you're into that sort of thing.

My finger has been on the verge to buy Starbase Orion countless times now...

I would love to play it (especially in mp)...my problem is that while I like a lot the setting, I do not like a lot 4x or resource management games (I do not like Civ).
I would prefer to sink in a story or at least have many 'events' during the game (like unexpected thing happening...like new destroyed ships discovered, black holes, alien invasions, diplomatic requests...) than manage countless 'lifeless' planets and the like.
On the contrary, every people I know with the game is hopelessy in love with it, and the devs are constantly improving it.

What do think?
You said the mp is solid....nice notifications? Multitask? GC integration? Realtime chat?

Sorry to ask but....you could have another adept here :)

MGS4 was also GOTY back in the day here.

These lists are more popularity contest then anything else.

GDS is pretty shallow and has zero replayability, but kairosoft games are the only games these days besides mmos that I can play 5+hours in 1 sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom