• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

I love how he start by saying "why" and then he doesn't explain or give any explanation or argument in favor of the free-to-play model. All he's saying is that it's a long term model? So people are still paying for those games after a couple of months? If not, I don't see the difference with "traditionnal sales".

As far as I can tell, it seems to be the same set-up as it was on Facebook. You had a limited number of moves, and like a lot of Facebook games, you could either replenish your moves over time, purchase more with in-game currency, or use Facebook credits. Now, my wife is simply addicted to Triple Town, so she uses all her in-game currency on moves, and still she manages to get scores that are crazy. Me, I was happy with the amount of moves they allotted me every few hours. I just don't need to play the game that much, though I still think it's excellent. I haven't messed with the iOS version too much, but it is on my phone. It gives you more moves over time, right?

Flunkie

Banned

FjSgp.gif

Silex

I get an error when I push the button to buy it:
"Purchase of this item is not currently available.
The item is being modified. Please try again later."

Does it work for anyone else?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I only remembered 1 IAP to unlock some weapon type or something. Did it get worse than that? Didn't seem intrusive at all.

Top In-App Purchases

Reward Booster 150%$1.99
Reward Booster 300%$4.99
Multiplayer Deliverator$2.99
Set of 10 Unlimited Ammo Battle Modifiers for Multiplayer$0.99
Sniper Rifle and Laser Sight for Multiplayer$0.99
Gatling Gun for Single Player$0.99
Shrieker for Multiplayer$0.99
Shotgun for Single Player$0.99
Mighty Foot for Multiplayer$4.99
Deliverator for Single Player$0.99

It's especially offensive in multiplayer where you essentially need to buy to rank up in order to play properly. The three reviews listed on the iTunes page are very accurate in this case.

I never got into Death Rally. Maybe I need to go back and give it a chance, but I preferred top-down racers like Reckless Racing and Mini Motor Racing. Perhaps it's the combat that didn't grab me. I'd rather just race.

Full disclosure: I've only played like...15 minutes of it. I'll have to go back to it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I get an error when I push the button to buy it:
"Purchase of this item is not currently available.
The item is being modified. Please try again later."

Does it work for anyone else?

Same here!

I think I posted the link too early. Usually happens if you catch them changing the price in the act. It should work later in the day...just put a reminder to download it :)

GeekyDad

Tried Death Rally. Not my thing. I dig those micro racer deals, but it's no surprise the virtual stick doesn't work for me. Looks neat, though. Nice presentation. Sure those who don't mind virtual controls will dig it.

Enco

The iOS Death Rally is nowhere near as good as the original PC one. Disappointed that I dropped money on it, TBH :(
Never played the original but I wasted my money on the iOS version.

Wasted a lot of money on crappy apps. I'm getting better and thankfully they're all cheap.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if it's already been asked but how do I download the extra levels for Scribblenauts, I can see no way to do it inside the app.

dk_

Sorry if it's already been asked but how do I download the extra levels for Scribblenauts, I can see no way to do it inside the app.
Same here. Apparently they should be at the end of the level select screen. Redownloading didn't help either. :-/

Shaneus

Never played the original but I wasted my money on the iOS version.

Wasted a lot of money on crappy apps. I'm getting better and thankfully they're all cheap.
Original's awesome. Made by Remedy and is almost exactly like the classic Micro Machines 2D games but also has weapons and Duke Nukem. I think it might even be (legitimately) free now? Look it up, I'm sure it runs on DOSbox :)

Edit: Here!

Gaaraz

Finished Tintin over the weekend. Y'know, it's pretty damned good. Every level seemed to switch up the mechanics, there was a decent mix of 'on-screen d-pad' and tap & swipe controls and the 'Cut the Rope' style mini-games interspersed throughout were enjoyable. Presentation was groovy too.

Basically, Gameloft are learning, slowly but surely. I wouldn't recommend the game because there are some on-screen d-pad moments and a couple of frustrating bits*, but it's definitely a step-up from their usual clone nonsense.

*I nearly put my finger through my iPhone screen while doing the 'guard the candle' bit.

Its a good game with fantastic presentation, but damn, by the end of it I was really ready for it to finish.

Agreed about the guard the candle section btw!

Philll

Banned
It's no wonder Death Rally is free, it's quite sickening really when you look at MP. Why not just charge a one off payment and be done with it? In this way, if you want all the game content, you'll end up paying $20+ for an iOS game (plus what ever other purchases they add later) when it's not even worth that. Paying for in game content, specifically content you cannot use or see what it is till you've purchased it is disgusting and should be discouraged.

Anyone who supports this type of thing should have no right to complain about it when the market is saturated with this crap (as if it isn't already).

Also, if anyone wants to see what Baldurs Gate 2 looks like when it's running I made a vid:

http://youtu.be/QL5fR2M4N8U

I also have been contributing to this thread, read it if you need help in getting it going yourself (GOG version).

GeekyDad

Is it possible to purchase apps without downloading them? I'm pretty much out of space, but with tons of good stuff constantly going on sale, I'd hate to miss out on something because I don't currently have the space.

Pastry

Banned
Is it possible to purchase apps without downloading them? I'm pretty much out of space, but with tons of good stuff constantly going on sale, I'd hate to miss out on something because I don't currently have the space.

You should be able to buy it on your computer and then not sync it to your device. I don't know about doing it directly from your iOS device though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Purchase on device.
Wait for download to start.
Tap and hold any icon to enter wiggle mode.
Delete icon of new app mid-download.

It'll show up on your 'purchased' list within minutes, and if you have iTunes up and running at home (or wherever), it'll start downloading there as well shortly.

This only works if you have enough space to download it to begin with, of course.

Mejilan

It's no wonder Death Rally is free, it's quite sickening really when you look at MP. Why not just charge a one off payment and be done with it? In this way, if you want all the game content, you'll end up paying $20+ for an iOS game (plus what ever other purchases they add later) when it's not even worth that. Paying for in game content, specifically content you cannot use or see what it is till you've purchased it is disgusting and should be discouraged.

Anyone who supports this type of thing should have no right to complain about it when the market is saturated with this crap (as if it isn't already).

Also, if anyone wants to see what Baldurs Gate 2 looks like when it's running I made a vid:

http://youtu.be/QL5fR2M4N8U

I also have been contributing to this thread, read it if you need help in getting it going yourself (GOG version).

Shortly I'll be installing from my old retail discs in order to attempt to install on my iPhone 4S. Not sure how playable it'll be on the small screen, but it's worth a shot, I figure.

I'll be checking out that other thread since the GemRB wiki installation guide is a little sparse on the details. I've already got the IPA installed on my iPhone; it's the game directory installation thing that I'm not too sure of. Also, I think I have to tweak the installations with a few mods (such as widescreen) before porting over to the iPhone, in order to make things work better for the smaller screen.

Wish me luck!

GeekyDad

Purchase on device.
Wait for download to start.
Tap and hold any icon to enter wiggle mode.
Delete icon of new app mid-download.

It'll show up on your 'purchased' list within minutes, and if you have iTunes up and running at home (or wherever), it'll start downloading there as well shortly.

This only works if you have enough space to download it to begin with, of course.

Holy shit! I didn't realize it backs up the games physically onto your PC. I thought the purchase information and such was stored, but not the actual apps themselves. I just discovered a 7GB folder in My Documents. Is it safe to delete that? If not, how can I safely remove those apps from my computer?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
1679 on Super Crate Box, uuuu I want 2000. Can't believe I tried to be funny at that point with the disc of all weapons, I should have taken a break.

AEREC

Ive been gaming a little on my iPod Touch 4 but Im kind of finding performance on games like Real Racing 2 and Infinity Blade a bit dissapointing.

I will be getting an iPhone 4S tomorrow...any chance there will be a nice performance boost...as in a steady 60fps in Real Racing 2?

bubnbob

Banned
Holy shit! I didn't realize it backs up the games physically onto your PC. I thought the purchase information and such was stored, but not the actual apps themselves. I just discovered a 7GB folder in My Documents. Is it safe to delete that? If not, how can I safely remove those apps from my computer?

Yes it's safe. You can move them to another external drive or partition. They're just there as backups locally. When you update via iTunes, the old file is moved to the Recycle Bin. I just do all my installs/deletes without iTunes, since I can do everything via iPod.

Philll

Banned
Shortly I'll be installing from my old retail discs in order to attempt to install on my iPhone 4S. Not sure how playable it'll be on the small screen, but it's worth a shot, I figure.

It's worth a shot, but some of the menu options (specifically the dialogue choices) will be very small and annoying to select

Mejilan

It's worth a shot, but some of the menu options (specifically the dialogue choices) will be very small and annoying to select

Any ideas what I should be setting the resolution to?
And is there a resource with the newest game patches and mods that I could hit up?

Thanks in advance...

Have any of you guys run into this problem?

The other night when Puzzlejuice dropped to $0.99, I tried to download it but it kept on saying I was unable to purchase...try again blah blah. I did that a few times. Finally I was able to download it.

However, now every time I try to download anything, I get a popup message saying "Unable to purchase Puzzlejuice and 3 other items, etc." But...I already have Puzzlejuice.

Anything similar happen to anyone else? How do I get rid of this notification?

Edit: Nevermind. I think deleting Puzzlejuice and redownloading it solved the problem.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
1679 on Super Crate Box, uuuu I want 2000. Can't believe I tried to be funny at that point with the disc of all weapons, I should have taken a break.

Did you beat my score? :(

The new patch is suppose to come this week I think. Suppose to fix hit boxes I read somewhere. Waiting for It before I dive into the game again

plc268

I'm really addicted to NFL Flick Kicker right now. Got the #1 score on most of the leaderboard (probably not for long though).

My first flicking sports game.

Ive been gaming a little on my iPod Touch 4 but Im kind of finding performance on games like Real Racing 2 and Infinity Blade a bit dissapointing.

I will be getting an iPhone 4S tomorrow...any chance there will be a nice performance boost...as in a steady 60fps in Real Racing 2?

"Two cores in the A5 chip deliver up to two times more power and up to seven times faster graphics."

Although, the battery life on the 4S isn't as good as an iPod/iphone4 from what I hear. Its only a little bit better than I got with my 3GS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom