• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The best tower offense game, Anomaly Warzone just got cloud saving!

jBN6ysVSEq45S.jpg

Almyn

So does TripleTown now hold the honor of having the most shameless IAP structure?

I assume you're talking about how you have a limited number of turns? It's a bad way of doing things but personally I have managed to get enough coins out out the games I am playing to buy more turns. I don't imagine a time when I will completely run out of turns. It's so addictive.

Really Dac?! REALLY?! It's like that now?! You're so removed from Scribblenauts Remix in an upcoming patch. :p

Universal app would go over 20mb limit currently.

This was discussed earlier, but I don't think you got what was being said entirely. (Not being a dick)

The iPhone app, leave it as it is. It's under 20MB. People download shit on their iPhones when they're out and about, the iPhone version has to be under 20MB to download over 3G. We get that.

The iPad version, the HD one that's $1.99, make that one universal. People use their iPads at home, in coffe shops, etc. The 20MB-3G limit does not need to apply to the HD/iPad version of the app, some iPads aren't even able to download anything ever over 3G because they are Wi-Fi only.

This way, you call sell the cheaper, standard, 20MB version of the game to people with iPhones, and the deluxe, universal version of the game to people with iPads. If I only have an iPhone, I'm not going to buy the universal $1.99 HD iPad version of the app, (why would I? I don't have the hardware that would necessitate the extra feature of being universal) I'm going to buy the $0.99 iPhone/iPod version of it. But if I have an iPhone and an iPad, I want just one app, not two, that works between my two devices.

SuperBrothers: Sword & Sworcery does this ($2.99 iPhone/iPod ONLY version, and a $4.99 universal version) as do a few other games already mentioned.

Another way you could do this would be having the universal unlock be an in-app download or purchase, so the initial game you buy is >20MB, and then in the options there's a button that says "make universal?" and you tap it and it downloads the assets for the other version of the game, also >20MB. NinjaTown: Trees of Doom did/does this with the Retina Graphics update to get around the 20MB limit.

So, you see, there's really no reason to not make the HD version of Run Roo Run a universal app. The 20MB limit doesn't exist for iPad apps and even if it did for some strange reason there are easy ways around it.

Please? Pretty please? I'd gladly even pay another $1, making the HD version $2.99, for it to be universal, but as it is, I've yet to buy either version at all. :(

vareon

I don't have any 3G iDevice (just a Wifi only iPad) and I want to ask:

Does the 20MB 3G download limit only applies to US, or does it apply anywhere else around the world?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't have any 3G iDevice (just a Wifi only iPad) and I want to ask:

Does the 20MB 3G download limit only applies to US, or does it apply anywhere else around the world?

It's an iOS limit imposed by the networks. It was originally 10MB years ago IIRC.

This was discussed earlier, but I don't think you got what was being said entirely. (Not being a dick)

The iPhone app, leave it as it is. It's under 20MB. People download shit on their iPhones when they're out and about, the iPhone version has to be under 20MB to download over 3G. We get that.

The iPad version, the HD one that's $1.99, make that one universal. People use their iPads at home, in coffe shops, etc. The 20MB-3G limit does not need to apply to the HD/iPad version of the app, some iPads aren't even able to download anything ever over 3G because they are Wi-Fi only.

This way, you call sell the cheaper, standard, 20MB version of the game to people with iPhones, and the deluxe, universal version of the game to people with iPads. If I only have an iPhone, I'm not going to buy the universal $1.99 HD iPad version of the app, (why would I? I don't have the hardware that would necessitate the extra feature of being universal) I'm going to buy the $0.99 iPhone/iPod version of it. But if I have an iPhone and an iPad, I want just one app, not two, that works between my two devices.

SuperBrothers: Sword & Sworcery does this ($2.99 iPhone/iPod ONLY version, and a $4.99 universal version) as do a few other games already mentioned.

Another way you could do this would be having the universal unlock be an in-app download or purchase, so the initial game you buy is >20MB, and then in the options there's a button that says "make universal?" and you tap it and it downloads the assets for the other version of the game, also >20MB. NinjaTown: Trees of Doom did/does this with the Retina Graphics update to get around the 20MB limit.

So, you see, there's really no reason to not make the HD version of Run Roo Run a universal app. The 20MB limit doesn't exist for iPad apps and even if it did for some strange reason there are easy ways around it.

Please? Pretty please? I'd gladly even pay another $1, making the HD version $2.99, for it to be universal, but as it is, I've yet to buy either version at all. :(

This x 1000

Seriously I'm not even going to buy games that do separate HD versions anymore, Swords & Sworcery + World of Goo set a benchmark everyone should have to follow in my opinion. I totally understand the need for the iPhone version to be <20mb but it's not an issue for a Universal app.

Enco

What's worse than the universal stuff is when devs don't make their game retina ready.

Luckily this isn't too big but if your game isn't retina ready, I won't buy it. Especially if you can't even make the icon retina ready.

Addnan

On that freemyapps thing, how often do they change the sponsor apps? Would love to be able to get enough credits for IB2.

heringer

On that freemyapps thing, how often do they change the sponsor apps? Would love to be able to get enough credits for IB2.

That depends. I already got IB2 and now have ~1600 credits, so they kind ran out of sponsor apps to offer me. There's like two weeks since the last app they offered me.

japtor

Another Cave game coming! I'm excited and I only have the Lite versions. I want a fire sale dammit.
Just pick one to buy, it'll be like they all went on a firesale...but you spent it all on one game. Choose wisely of course since you're too cheap to get more than one, if even that. Then play and forget that you might be missing out on a few 99 cent pieces of shit.

Just pick one to buy, it'll be like they all went on a firesale...but you spent it all on one game. Choose wisely of course since you're too cheap to get more than one, if even that. Then play and forget that you might be missing out on a few 99 cent pieces of shit.

This, Cave's games are well worth the price

DodgerSan

While I usually refrain from quoting large posts in their entirety, I have to in this case. More devs need to get on board with this. Not universal means I just don't buy either, where in many cases I have bought a game that is universal to support the devs making that decision.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I'd like to know what will happen when ipad 3 comes out with a higher resolution display. Will devs have to update universal apps to fit ipad 3, ipad 2 and iphone resolutions? Or will ipad 3 apps all be there own super HD versions? I don't fancy having to buy a whole bunch of games again.

GeekyDad

Another Cave game coming! I'm excited and I only have the Lite versions. I want a fire sale dammit.

Yeah, and it looks like it's another DoDonPachi, which is my favorite of the four Cave games I own. Very excited about it.

The first few days there were ample apps to choose from, but once you do them all, it seems to slow down significantly. They've had the same few apps on there now for about two weeks, and they're all for iPad -- I've whipped through all of the iPhone apps. I've been stuck at about 900 credits for a while now. So regret getting GTA3. Trying for Batman now. Probably gonna take a while. So, whatever your first big purchase with credits is, make it count. You'll probably find enough apps to buy something you really want, and then expect there to be slim pickings after that.

Chopper

Really Dac?! REALLY?! It's like that now?! You're so removed from Scribblenauts Remix in an upcoming patch. :p

Universal app would go over 20mb limit currently.

Dac is in the game?!

*Checks*

Holy crap, that's awesome! How the hell did you blag that? I'd give my right nut to be a character in a video game.

Also, "Da Man" produces what appears to be a Scribblenauts DS cart. Whilst awesome, why "Da Man"? Because the DS is the world's greatest handheld console?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Typical iOS gaming experience:

1. Buy game
2. Download game
3. Check leaderboards, see Wario64 is #1, realize there's no point in trying to beat him, never play game again

Fox Mulder

I'd like to know what will happen when ipad 3 comes out with a higher resolution display. Will devs have to update universal apps to fit ipad 3, ipad 2 and iphone resolutions? Or will ipad 3 apps all be there own super HD versions? I don't fancy having to buy a whole bunch of games again.
I hope they just get rolled into universal.

The HP app store had "XHD" apps just for the touchpad or whatever. Made shit annoying even though their store was a wasteland.

Even the android market has games labeled like that. Yay fragmentation.

Yeah, and it looks like it's another DoDonPachi, which is my favorite of the four Cave games I own. Very excited about it.

It's dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU (Blissful Death), the 3rd (4th?) game in the series, and DAI-FUKKATSU's (Resurrection's) direct predecessor. Previously saw a PS2 port by Arika, which was then cannibalized without permission by a dev team working under 5pb to create the Black Label port on 360. Solid game, and the 360's arrange mode is actually really fun too. Hope this gets something similar.

Interestingly, this is the first port of a Cave game that wasn't originally released on their SH3 based hardware. DAI-OU-JOU was one of three games released on PGM. On a technical standpoint, this also means the arcade graphics assets aren't in a 1:1 pixel aspect (PGM games were rendered at 224x448 vs the SH3's 240x320), so some sort of scaling will have to be employed in software to present the game at the proper ratio.

J0dy77

Am I the only one that feels suckered by all of the run roo run hype? Gameplay is extremely boring and I'm just burned out on all of the "World zone (1-X, 2-X) type games. Maybe i'm not far enough in yet. /shrug

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey, That's My Fish HD is $2.99 (down from $4.99). I've heard good things although the video I watched didn't blow me away. Any thoughts? Good one to play with a seven-year-old?

we have the earlier 'homage' with bees and honey. Assuming the official port is functionally competent, its a fun board game and easy for younger kids to pick up. Great on the ipad as it works like a mini board game you can all sit around. Recommended.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm curious why the inclusion of an ipad version takes something over 20MB anyway? The resolution is close enough to iphone retina that surely you can reuse most assets?

But yes, agree with WordAssassin completely

Am I the only one that feels suckered by all of the run roo run hype? Gameplay is extremely boring and I'm just burned out on all of the "World zone (1-X, 2-X) type games. Maybe i'm not far enough in yet. /shrug

Same here... Extremely average game, to me.

TechSamurai

Neo Member
we have the earlier 'homage' with bees and honey. Assuming the official port is functionally competent, its a fun board game and easy for younger kids to pick up. Great on the ipad as it works like a mini board game you can all sit around. Recommended.

My kids and I played this last night on the iPad and they loved it. They ended up playing it for a good chunk of the night. Recommendation confirmed.

Huff

Banned
Same here... Extremely average game, to me.

I liked the simple gameplay. And I think the new mechanic each stage kept the game from becoming boring. While most of the levels were rather easy, trying to get the fastest time plus the levels that were difficult made the game addicting for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom