• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohel

It depends. If you're using something like Unity, it's almost trivial. If you're writing an Objective C engine from scratch like I have, you have to rewrite everything though. So that's a lot of work.
Thought I'd render an asset while we're in the mood (sorry, SpiderGAF):
TVKHg.gif

(Animating spiders is a lot of work, by the way)

how many polys is that spider?

what kind of engine are you writing from scratch?

Are there any good RPGs for iPhone?

I know they've got Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger on there, but I'm looking for something a little more new-school that shows off the graphics a bit.

Zeth

1182 in Super Crate Box. I don't even know how much longer I can play. I will rage so hard when I die at 1000.

bubnbob

Banned
Are there any good RPGs for iPhone?

I know they've got Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger on there, but I'm looking for something a little more new-school that shows off the graphics a bit.

Take your pick

- Old school (Final Fantasy, Shining Force, Secret of Mana)

- Old school that's not a port of an old game (Guardian Saga, Dragon Fantasy, Ash)

- Old school with ugly 3d engine cuz frankly most 3D engines on iOS are nasty (Eternal Legacy, Aralon, Chaos Rings)

And...

- Cut and paste Korean (Zenonia, etc.)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Won't let me buy it, it says "this item's being modified". Mistake?

Also, I didn't realize Run Roo Run was a 5th Cell game. I obviously went to buy it, only to find out it's not a universal app, and the HD version is more. Why, Jackson? :( I thought we evolved past this model.

Any reports on that Jazz Trumpet platformer game thing? Looked good.

DukeSucks

it's so damn addicting shaving off time before I move on to new levels. I'm top 5 in almost everything I've done so far. My brother plays this too, but on the iphone. Sucks that I can't compete with him because of the split leaderboards.

Added you so I'll have some more friends on the ipad version. You're ahead of me on all but one so far.

But I stay at one chapter a long time before moving on too. Think I'm up to ch 7 now.

Foob

Oh crap, you smashed it! I just played an hour long session and I'm just behind you on the leaderboard. Time to use the resume best feature and build up a perfect run. i'm coming for you!

I did not know you could do that....

Can't wait to try it!

The sonic racing game went from crap to amazing after changing the controls. I forget sometimes. I like touch turning.

Definitely. It should have been the default. I got some friends to download it when it was free and two of them deleted the game immediately but promptly redownloaded after I informed them of their mistake.

Local multiplayer is a f*cking blast.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I ended up grabbing Jazz: Trump. So far, it oozes charm in the way Nintendo games generally do. It's got pretty solid controls, but the whole jazz music storyline is really what makes it unique and enjoyable. I recommend.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Hmmm not yet. Maybe that's a part of the puzzle...trying to figure out how to buy it.

Agreed. Sucks on tilt; amazing with touch controls.

Definitely. It should have been the default. I got some friends to download it when it was free and two of them deleted the game immediately but promptly redownloaded after I informed them of their mistake.

Local multiplayer is a f*cking blast.
I had buyers remorse for a week and then I was like "Whlep, let's see if I should delete it officially." After doing half a race and making the decision I looked under options and was very happy.

Flunkie

Banned
Lol fucking Dash. Got banned for a month. What is is with him and getting banned when responsibilities come around?

dantehemi

Second place amongst my gaf friends in bike baron!!!! I have 300 and change friends so I'm assuming I have the majority of people who played it on here!!! This game is kicking ass, but I will get first!!! It's my sole mission and the only game I play right now....it's owning me

I don't know if any of you guys care, but I just found out that there is an English patch available for the iOS version of the visual novel, Steins;Gate. I've been waiting on the PC version at Shourai for quite awhile, but this version of the game is $35 which although seemingly insane for an iOS game, is still quite a bit cheaper than the recently announced $60 PS3 version. As far as I know the iOS version is based on the 360 version and they should be identical. I just cleared 5 GB on my phone so it's a pretty hefty file at 1.8 GB.

If you're interested in trying it out, the patch and accompanying instructions can be found here:

http://tsuuun.blogspot.com/

Also, lol at Dash getting banned. Guy's really tempting the fates huh?

Slacker

Hey, That's My Fish HD is $2.99 (down from $4.99). I've heard good things although the video I watched didn't blow me away. Any thoughts? Good one to play with a seven-year-old?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The fluctuation in prices is quite a turn off TBH.

I kind of feel obligated to check for sales daily.... which seems to be their goal.

Keep people checking the store daily for price cuts and impulse buys.

I bought 40$ worth of shit so far. As in deleted.

But, yeah, for the games I like.... a few dollars is nothing.

Dacvak

Puzzlejuice is so damn awesome.

Jackson

Also, I didn't realize Run Roo Run was a 5th Cell game. I obviously went to buy it, only to find out it's not a universal app, and the HD version is more. Why, Jackson? :( I thought we evolved past this model.

Really Dac?! REALLY?! It's like that now?! You're so removed from Scribblenauts Remix in an upcoming patch. :p

Universal app would go over 20mb limit currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom