• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filipino-GAF get in here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsnepo

Pop On Arrival said:
get those tools at pinoyps to run a SSF4: AE tournament, man. It's weird cuz it was pretty much just one guy that ruined the relationship between the local sf4 community and pinoyps, haha.

I don't know much about what's going on there. I visit the site less often now but I'm still friends with the oldies there and even attend any get-togethers. About that one person, I think I have an idea who that is. Haha!

ULTROS! said:
I'd like to go but I only know how to button mash in MVC3. :p

Are there more GAFfers there though?

darkwing is a PPS moderator but he's in Cebu so obviously he won't be attending. I don't know any gaffers that will come. My wife and I will come as I have a co-worker that will do a Julia cosplay.

GreekWolf

My asawa is 100% Filipina, born in Iloilo

We're heading to Makati City next week (my first Philippines trip) to visit her kapatid.

Soooo excited to check out Mall of Asia, and experience pancit, milkfish, adobo and taho!

Less excited to sample durian, balut and tamilok (be careful when googling this) :'(

brklife_11.jpg

cvxfreak

Born in San Francisco, parents from the Manila area.
A dual citizen of both the U.S. and Philippines.
Now living in Japan.

Can completely understand Tagalog, but my speaking ability has gotten worse, especially after I became proficient in Japanese.

Identity crisis, hello.

Born in the Philippines...grew up in Las Piñas.
I don't follow local celebrities...but wow, Jaya's niece is a gaffer! Who knew?

Jacobi said:
I'm not from the Phillipines but I'll flee from this winter for two weeks to those islands, anything rcommandable to do there? One thing I dfinitely want to do is film a cock fght :p

Visit white sand beaches. Boracay is the popular destination.
Swim with 'butandings' (whale sharks). Sorsogon is the place for that.
I'm headed to Boracay next month.

I don't know much about the cockfights, but it's legal, I remember watching fights on TV as a kid. "Sabong" would be the Filipino word for it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just realized I'm not much of a beach person unless it's a resort.

I'm more of an urban guy, so my favorite destinations are Makati, Rockwell, Fort Bonifacio, Filinvest Muntinlupa. I haven't been much to Ortigas and Eastwood.

Filipino Gaf I'm in desperate need of your help!
I'm a Filipino Citizen with a Filipino passport living in Florida... my passport is set to expire in November.

The thing is, my girlfriend just moved to China to teach English FOR A YEAR. I'm trying to leave in December (I'm still in college) for a month to visit her but I don't think I can get my passport renewed on time.

Is there some sort of way I can get around this? A loophole or a rush service perhaps?

@tofu: I hope you get to sort out your problem.

Since I'm currently experiencing some sort of mental block and can't finish this work that I'm doing at home, here's my solution:

tagay.jpg

Tagay PinoyGAF

EYEL1NER

Alien Manobo said:
@tofu: I hope you get to sort out your problem.

Since I'm currently experiencing some sort of mental block and can't finish this work that I'm doing at home, here's my solution:

tagay.jpg

Tagay PinoyGAF
Red Horse isn't bad. First time I had it was at a Thai place in Korea and I remember liking it. I think I drank some in the PI, but mainly we were drinking Johnny Walker, lambanog, Bud, and San Mig.
One of the World Market stores in Columbia here sells San Mig. I've gone a couple times and gotten some, but usually they only have dark and neither I nor my wife like the dark.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I have a question.

This is an insult I heard between Filipino people. Please explain.

"Hey champorado face, go shake me a mango."

Thank you.

EYEL1NER

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I have a question.

This is an insult I heard between Filipino people. Please explain.

"Hey champorado face, go shake me a mango."

Thank you.
Champorado face?
lol, Classic. Got me a name to call my wife now!

Lol this is the first time I've seen champorado used as an insult.

"...go shake me a mango." Is he referring to a mango shake?

1814118412_a783154800_o.jpg

+

3060908981_216ed39e6c.jpg

3:50 am. Damn now I'm hungry.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Alien Manobo said:
Lol this is the first time I've seen champorado used as an insult.

"...go shake me a mango." Is he referring to a mango shake?

1814118412_a783154800_o.jpg

+

3060908981_216ed39e6c.jpg

3:50 am. Damn now I'm hungry.

Ha. OK. Now I understand.

The Filipino being insulted has darker skin, and it's not very clear/smooth skin at all.

As for the mango shake, I took it to mean, go shake a mango off a tree for me.

Kola

Will be visiting the Philippines next year for 3 weeks. What should I visit? Which beaches are the best?

Deku

Banned
I lived in the Philippines back in the 90s.

Jolibee chicken owns KFC all the way.

Crispy chicken with a Side serving of nice white steamed rice. OH MY GOD =X

jsnepo

Kola said:
Will be visiting the Philippines next year for 3 weeks. What should I visit? Which beaches are the best?

Boracay is often the answer but only if you like partying on the beach. If you want a quiet and relaxing time, give Puerto Princesa a chance. I haven't been there though but I've always considered visiting it next to Bicol and Bohol.

EYEL1NER

Might be going to the PI for a couple years soon. I get out of the military in January and am torn between trying to get a contracting job in the Middle East (probably Afghanistan for dat cash) and using my GI Bill. I just found out though that you can use the GI Bill in foreign countries.

I could go to school in the Philippines for 4 years and get paid $1300 a month to do it. My wife and I could probably move in with her family and then not have to use the money on rent, use it on other stuff and bank some. And books and whatnot would be taken care of as well.
I need to start researching the schools in Manila though and see what there is to offer. I suppose I could be a nurse, lol.

I'm heavily leaning towards this though. My goal later in life is to retire to Tagatay. Moving to the PI is something that seemed so far off in the future though and it's kind of crazy to think I could be living there this time next year.

Paper Fox

Half, checking in. Born and raised in Australia though, so I haven't really connected with my heritage. Adobo is fucking delicious though.

Any stories from non-Fillipino's who (tried) learning Tagalog? Got some books and apps, feel like it's doable. Just don't have anyone I could practice regularly with.

Pachimari

I'm half Danish and half Filipino. I were born and raised in Denmark and still live here. I don't understand any Tagalog and I got books and a huge family who I can talk Tagalog with but I just can't get into it. Have had 7 filipina girlfriends as well but it really haven't helped at me learning Tagalog. I'm also sad I now look at the nation with negativity, as I really want to be happy about half my nationality. :(

What apps are people using to learn Tagalog?

Rayis

I was born in Mexico.
I'm not Filipino, but hey it's not that different.
I've heard people say Filipinos are the Mexicans of Asia and I don't understand why, :/ I'd find it offensive, (not because being Mexican is bad but 'cause there is no need to compare)

Anyway, I'm not filipino but I have LOTS of filipino friends~

you guys are awesome

Pachimari

Actually can anyone recommend great books and apps for learning Tagalog?

Would be nice if the books can be bought through Amazon Kindle.

I think I will dedicate myself to learning Tagalog again and forget about Ilocano.

These are the books I'm using:

Beginning Tagalog : a course for speakers of English / writers: Neonetta C. Cabrera ... [et al.] ; ill.: Felipe D. Vale ; ed. committee: J. Donald Bowen ... [et al.]
Basic Tagalog for foreigners and non-Tagalogs / by Paraluman S. Aspillera
They're the only books I could get through the library, so they are by no means the best out there. I'm sure there are more well known ones out there too.

As for apps, I use Anki:

http://ankisrs.net/

It has a mobile app so you can do the flashcards on your phone/tablet as well as on your computer. There are ''shared decks'' of flashcards people have already made, or you can make your own. I've just been using the available ''shared decks'' so far to learn what it claims are the most used words in Tagalog.

I've also used this program in the past before I got the books, but I don't remember how many words or phrases are available for free. I'm guessing not that many. It was really great to hear the pronunciation etc however, so I would recomend checking out the free parts:

http://www.byki.com/fls/free-tagalog-software-download.html?l=tagalog filipino

It's free. Perhaps you've got the wrong one?

Edit: Oh wow... it says $25 on iTunes! I have an Android phone and Ankidroid was free! I would not pay $25 for this or any flashcard aplication.

EYEL1NER

I'm half Danish and half Filipino. I were born and raised in Denmark and still live here. I don't understand any Tagalog and I got books and a huge family who I can talk Tagalog with but I just can't get into it. Have had 7 filipina girlfriends as well but it really haven't helped at me learning Tagalog. I'm also sad I now look at the nation with negativity, as I really want to be happy about half my nationality. :(

Man, I'm in northern Greenland doing contractor work at the moment. You being Danish, surely you know the relationship Denmark and Greenland have had. Anyway, there are only 200 or so of us Americans on base and about 400 Danes. A couple work in my building and I have chatted with them and the bus drivers and the people who come out to do work on my room (mainly in hopes that I could talk to someone from Copenhagen and see if they had heard or knew of The Nekromantix or seen any of their shows). It blew me away how many of them have places in the Philippines and go on vacation there constantly. They get like 4-6 weeks vacay time and most every one that I have talked to says they are going to the PI for their vacation. I guess a lot of Danes go there.

Makes me jealous because I won't be going again until this time next year. My wife however will be going next March for a while. Soooo jealous...

Every 6 months worth of work gets us a vacation though and they fly you to either BWI in the states or to Copenhagen for free. I have to go home to see my family in Feb, but before I finish my time here, I want to get a free flight to Copenhagen. Check out the Psychobilly scene.
I've heard people say Filipinos are the Mexicans of Asia and I don't understand why, :/ I'd find it offensive, (not because being Mexican is bad but 'cause there is no need to compare)
I've heard the same thing many times, usually in reference to how Filipinos go anywhere and everywhere looking for work. People say no matter where you go, you will find filipinos.
Wouldn't you know it, I'm up here in the arctic circle, at the top of the world, and a women who looked filipino delivered a pizza from the club to a guy in my dorm. As she was leaving, she dropped something and muttered in tagalog. I heard and then asked if she was filipino and yep. Turns out she lives in the district next to where my wife is from, right next to my future home: Tagatay.

goober

I'm guessing your mom is where you get your filipino from?

Filipino guys can't pull other races :(
It's only Filipino women that I see with others lol

I'm Filipino but I don't look it. I apparently look like every other Asian nationality other than the nationality of the person I'm speaking to

Ex. I'm speaking to a filipino, they think I'm Korean. I speak to a Korean, they think I'm viet
I speak to Vietnamese, they think I'm chinese
I speak to Chinese they think I'm something else entirely

Some Hispanics think I'm Hispanic or South American though which I thought was pretty cool

Pachimari

I'm guessing your mom is where you get your filipino from?

Filipino guys can't pull other races :(
It's only Filipino women that I see with others lol

I'm Filipino but I don't look it. I apparently look like every other Asian nationality other than the nationality of the person I'm speaking to

Ex. I'm speaking to a filipino, they think I'm Korean. I speak to a Korean, they think I'm viet
I speak to Vietnamese, they think I'm chinese
I speak to Chinese they think I'm something else entirely

Some Hispanics think I'm Hispanic or South American though which I thought was pretty cool
Yeah but I don't look Filipino. :)
I don't look Danish either lol.

Though I can't see myself marrying a Filipina at all. My culture is just way different than theirs.

Anyway, I want to learn Tagalog but I'm learning it secretly without telling any of my family or friends, as it would be fun to understand what people are talking about while they think I don't understand it.

Went for a week long holiday with some friends around the middle of the year. We stayed in Cebu for most of the trip doing some touristy kind of stuff along with a bit of shopping.

Everything food/alcohol related was unbelievably cheap (compared to Australia) which was awesome and along with staying at my mate's parents' apartment made for an overall cheap getaway.

We did a day trip to Bohol to see the chocolate hills and check out the Tarsiers which were pretty neat but not really enough to keep us busy all day so we had to wait a while to get the ferry back.

The last couple of days we took a taxi (mistake) to some port and took another ferry over to Bantayan (spelling probably wrong) and stayed in a room on the beach for the evening. That afternoon we did some island hopping and snorkelling. I'd rate the coral/fish as more interesting and varied than what I saw on the Great Barrier Reef last year which was great.

Oh yeah the roads over there are madness! Had to resort to closing my eyes a lot of the time to stop worrying haha.

EDIT: Another thing - Jollibee is sooooo gross!!

Pachimari

Man, I'm in northern Greenland doing contractor work at the moment. You being Danish, surely you know the relationship Denmark and Greenland have had. Anyway, there are only 200 or so of us Americans on base and about 400 Danes. A couple work in my building and I have chatted with them and the bus drivers and the people who come out to do work on my room (mainly in hopes that I could talk to someone from Copenhagen and see if they had heard or knew of The Nekromantix or seen any of their shows). It blew me away how many of them have places in the Philippines and go on vacation there constantly. They get like 4-6 weeks vacay time and most every one that I have talked to says they are going to the PI for their vacation. I guess a lot of Danes go there.

Makes me jealous because I won't be going again until this time next year. My wife however will be going next March for a while. Soooo jealous...

Every 6 months worth of work gets us a vacation though and they fly you to either BWI in the states or to Copenhagen for free. I have to go home to see my family in Feb, but before I finish my time here, I want to get a free flight to Copenhagen. Check out the Psychobilly scene.

I've heard the same thing many times, usually in reference to how Filipinos go anywhere and everywhere looking for work. People say no matter where you go, you will find filipinos.
Wouldn't you know it, I'm up here in the arctic circle, at the top of the world, and a women who looked filipino delivered a pizza from the club to a guy in my dorm. As she was leaving, she dropped something and muttered in tagalog. I heard and then asked if she was filipino and yep. Turns out she lives in the district next to where my wife is from, right next to my future home: Tagatay.
Filipinos surely are everywhere but I have honestly grown tired of it because all of them talk about their Pinoy pride and how they're better. And it's like they get annoyed every time one don't believe in God and it doesn't help my impression that a bunch of them stay here in Denmark illegally and send their stuff away which their hosts have given them. I hope to change my perception of them as 90% of my family are Filipinos.

My plan were also to have a house in the north of the Philippines but I have kind of moved away from that plan because of my perception of them, the ironic thing is, that I know a whole lot of Filipinos. Hopefully I am able to change my perception. :) By the way, Tagaytay is a great place, I like the view to the volcano and the things to do there.

Went for a week long holiday with some friends around the middle of the year. We stayed in Cebu for most of the trip doing some touristy kind of stuff along with a bit of shopping.

Everything food/alcohol related was unbelievably cheap (compared to Australia) which was awesome and along with staying at my mate's parents' apartment made for an overall cheap getaway.

We did a day trip to Bohol to see the chocolate hills and check out the Tarsiers which were pretty neat but not really enough to keep us busy all day so we had to wait a while to get the ferry back.

The last couple of days we took a taxi (mistake) to some port and took another ferry over to Bantayan (spelling probably wrong) and stayed in a room on the beach for the evening. That afternoon we did some island hopping and snorkelling. I'd rate the coral/fish as more interesting and varied than what I saw on the Great Barrier Reef last year which was great.

Oh yeah the roads over there are madness! Had to resort to closing my eyes a lot of the time to stop worrying haha.

EDIT: Another thing - Jollibee is sooooo gross!!
I really weren't that impressed by Bohol, though I loved our hotel, it was magnificent. But the place they had the Tarsiers were much smaller than I anticipated and the Chocolate Hills were really nothing special. Though I really love Ilocos, it's really the place that's close to my heart - have any of you been there?

Also, Jollibee is the best restaurant in the world.

Quick

Banned
Filipinos surely are everywhere but I have honestly grown tired of it because all of them talk about their Pinoy pride and how they're better. And it's like they get annoyed every time one don't believe in God and it doesn't help my impression that a bunch of them stay here in Denmark illegally and send their stuff away which their hosts have given them. I hope to change my perception of them as 90% of my family are Filipinos.

So much feels, bro. I fucking hate this self-entitled notion of "Pinoy pride." I get called "plastic", "bacon", or "spoken in dollar" by some Filipinos because I adapted to the culture and speak English just fine (no accents, as far as I know), and it isn't necessarily offensive, but it gets annoying after a while.

I was at the dentist once (wholly Filipino clinic), and a guy was in the waiting area. I was minding my own business, watching the news and just browsing on my phone. I don't know how it happened, but all of a sudden, the guy began talking to me about how Filipino women are better than other women from different countries. I shot that down, told him what I honestly thought, and he just gave me a blank look. By coincidence, it was my turn to get checked up on, so I couldn't really see his reaction entirely.

The religion thing isn't so bad, based on my experience. My parents are the toughest proponents of religion that I know, but I manage to skip out on church for the most part due to my job. I told them once that I didn't really care for it, and it's like they didn't even hear me.

My family know some Filipinos here that stay with a travel Visa, and their family (who would either be citizens or permanent residents) would simply extend that Visa. Not illegal, but clearly gaming the system. The stupid thing about it is the medical aspect: what if they get sick or injured? They're technically only "visiting", meaning they're neither permanent residents or citizens, meaning their families are burdened with the cost of their medical bills in full. It's absolutely irresponsible.

Pachimari

So much feels, bro. I fucking hate this self-entitled notion of "Pinoy pride." I get called "plastic", "bacon", or "spoken in dollar" by some Filipinos because I adapted to the culture and speak English just fine (no accents, as far as I know), and it isn't necessarily offensive, but it gets annoying after a while.

I was at the dentist once (wholly Filipino clinic), and a guy was in the waiting area. I was minding my own business, watching the news and just browsing on my phone. I don't know how it happened, but all of a sudden, the guy began talking to me about how Filipino women are better than other women from different countries. I shot that down, told him what I honestly thought, and he just gave me a blank look. By coincidence, it was my turn to get checked up on, so I couldn't really see his reaction entirely.

The religion thing isn't so bad, based on my experience. My parents are the toughest proponents of religion that I know, but I manage to skip out on church for the most part due to my job. I told them once that I didn't really care for it, and it's like they didn't even hear me.

My family know some Filipinos here that stay with a travel Visa, and their family (who would either be citizens or permanent residents) would simply extend that Visa. Not illegal, but clearly gaming the system. The stupid thing about it is the medical aspect: what if they get sick or injured? They're technically only "visiting", meaning they're neither permanent residents or citizens, meaning their families are burdened with the cost of their medical bills in full. It's absolutely irresponsible.
Pinoy pride is by no means offensive but it has become really tiresome and annoying.

The religion thing comes mostly from exes who told me its wrong and most recently my latest ex got pissed off at me and told me she would change that aspect of me. It's also annoying when cousins keep saying God bless you and "remember to pray" etc to me when I have already stated that I don't believe in that stuff. I'm perfectly fine with them believing it but please don't force it down my throat. Also when I were younger our Danish traditions faded away at events like Christmas so we could celebrate it my cousins way, like just opening presents when we wanted to, or opening it in the other room or changing the foods. So I have been damaged in my view toward the nation in many ways. It sucked when I went there on vacation for 3 months myself, my uncle wouldn't want me to go anywhere, even though I payed for all of it myself and literally everyone are asking me to pay or asking directly for money. In fact, I went to a restaurant with a Filipino friend and his mother and when we were about to leave I were ready to pay my own bill but they looked weird at me and said they expected me to pay.

But I'm really trying to change my perception of them but it really didn't help with my ex and her friends. I really don't know how long it will take to change my perception. =/

At least I'll start learning Tagalog again, so I can understand and talk with people. :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Only half, but I suspect there's a lot of half-white half filipinos on GAF

Quick

Banned
Filipino GAF,

What's up with dudes with shotguns guarding some of your stores? Made me feel a little nervous.

Might as well kill them quickly, and in pain.

They are guards. There's guards everywhere but they really don't body search you lol.

You get body searched when entering malls, and any commercial places that house huge amounts of people. Caught me off guard when I came back to visit a couple of years ago.

Pachimari

Might as well kill them quickly, and in pain.

You get body searched when entering malls, and any commercial places that house huge amounts of people. Caught me off guard when I came back to visit a couple of years ago.
Yeah you get body searched but it's really not a body search. Haven't you seen that one discussed video of the guy in the Philippines who go through the 20 "worst" things? :)

How would life be for a white guy to take a job in Makati? I would make a shit ton more money than I do now but don't know anything about the area (safety, standard of living etc.).

hobz360

Another Pinoy here! Was born in the Philippines (olongapo) and moved here in CA when i was 14.

And yes Jollibee's fried chicken is one if the BEST fried chicken out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom