• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filipino-GAF get in here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I saw the bat signal, what do I do now?

Filipino-gaf checking in :)

PSSST. HOY! :)

Jamesfrom818 said:
Ah! Yeah...I'm sorta in that boat, too. I tend to stay away from Filipino women though.

I have no preference, but I've dated mostly Chinese women.

Apparently since Manny Pacquiao became popular a lot of people don't wanna mess with me down here in Miami........I was at South Beach one time and some dude bumped into me real hard. I told him to watch where he was going and the dude is like "Where are you from?" and I was like "I'm filipino". The guy then said "My bad for bumping you. I don't want any trouble. I know yall filipinos can fight" lol

Quick

Banned
Anybody got GMA on their TV? Our service provider has it. My parents watch it all the time.

CherryWoodFuton said:
Apparently since Manny Pacquiao became popular a lot of people don't wanna mess with me down here in Miami........I was at South Beach one time and some dude bumped into me real hard. I told him to watch where he was going and the dude is like "Where are you from?" and I was like "I'm filipino". The guy then said "My bad for bumping you. I don't want any trouble. I know yall filipinos can fight" lol

Whenever someone asks me where I'm from/what I am and tell them I'm Filipino, that person would either mention Manny Pacquaio or mention our food.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Quick said:
Yeah, I know. But apparently, not white washed Filipinos. :\
I know plenty of Americanized Filipinos who married Filipino girls (including myself) - the girls are all Americanized too of course.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
XiaNaphryz said:
How about lechon kawali?

mlJXV.png

newrG.jpg

Nom nom nom nom

I bought a bunch of them to eat for Anime Expo. It is fatty as heck, but when you walk an average of 25 miles a day you are good.

DJ_Lae

My girlfriend is Filipino/Dutch.

We spend quite a bit of time with her mom's side of the family family in Vancouver - they're all from Manila.

And contrary to everything I've heard about Filipino cuisine, they can't cook worth shit. As a consequence every time someone mentions a Filipino dish I cringe in horror.

I mean, I can cook better adobo than they can - theirs basically tastes like vinegar and no seasoning. Their barbeque is embarassing, and their pancit is incredibly bland (they can't even cook puto properly). And those are the easy things.

Any tips for sites with good recipes? I'd ask them, but I know they don't follow recipes and it shows (their parents obviously didn't teach them anything).

Quick

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Seriously, what the heck?

It is easy to date an Asian girl, except one from your own race.

:(

Not something I think about, though. I couldn't care less about what race a future girlfriend would be.

On that note, I had a really awkward conversation with this Filipino guy at the dentist's office a few months ago. It ended up with him basically saying "so, Filipino girls are the best right?" I flatly said "no". He looked at me funny.

hawt

Born and raised in the US (San Diego, CA to be exact). But my dad's from Bataan and my mom's from Manila.

XiaNaphryz

DJ_Lae said:
My girlfriend is Filipino/Dutch.

We spend quite a bit of time with her mom's side of the family family in Vancouver - they're all from Manila.

And contrary to everything I've heard about Filipino cuisine, they can't cook worth shit. As a consequence every time someone mentions a Filipino dish I cringe in horror.
Just being Filipino doesn't mean the family can cook. Terrible cooks are everywhere.

That said, well done Filipino home cooking is AMAAAAAAAZINGLY good.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Quick said:
Not something I think about, though. I couldn't care less about what race a future girlfriend would be.

On that note, I had a really awkward conversation with this Filipino guy at the dentist's office a few months ago. It ended up with him basically saying "so, Filipino girls are the best right?" I flatly said "no". He looked at me funny.

Just because I have grievances about having difficulty finding a girl from my ethnicity, I don't think that there is a "best" of anything.

There are cute girls from all ethnic backgrounds. Half filipino girls are pretty awesome :)

XiaNaphryz said:
Just being Filipino doesn't mean the family can cook. Terrible cooks are everywhere.

Hell yeah dude, my mom makes the best Chicken Adobo and my auntie makes the best Filipino BBQ.

Quick

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
I know plenty of Americanized Filipinos who married Filipino girls (including myself) - the girls are all Americanized too of course.

Yeah, there's no issue with Americanized (Canadianized, or Canadian equivalent?) girls here. I'm friends with a lot of them, and their boyfriends are white. I've really just never clicked with one. The Chinese girls I've dated are all born and raised here.

DJ_Lae

XiaNaphryz said:

That's true. It's just that there are three generations of them all living in the same house, I figure they must have picked up something over the years (apparently not).

XiaNaphryz

DJ_Lae said:
That's true. It's just that there are three generations of them all living in the same house, I figure they must have picked up something over the years (apparently not).
They're used to their style of cooking and see it as normal, so it shouldn't be a surprise. I'll bet if they had someone else's dishes they'd think it was off (i.e. too salty, or too strong a flavor, etc).

Jamesfrom818 said:
Great. Now I feel like eating some lumpia. Guess I'm going to the market tomorrow.
Whenever my mom helps out to cook for a big party, she always makes extra lumpia that can be frozen and cooked later on whenever. I think we still have a couple dozen ready for frying from our last get together.

Luixfern

CherryWoodFuton said:
Any filipino gaffers in the house???? What part of the Philippines were you born???? If you're born in another country please state which one. What makes us different from all the other Asians out there????

Spain.

XiaNaphryz said:
They're used to their style of cooking and see it as normal, so it shouldn't be a surprise. I'll bet if they had someone else's dishes they'd think it was off (i.e. too salty, or too strong a flavor, etc).

That's probably why you don't see as many Filipino restaurants as say Thai or Vietnamese.

Luixfern said:

And lack of our own writing system. Baybayin is dead.

XiaNaphryz

Jamesfrom818 said:
That's probably why you don't see as many Filipino restaurants as say Thai or Vietnamese.
Jollibee's longanisa is a joke - it's essentially a glorified hot dog.

That said, one of the poker cardrooms just south of Daly City makes an awesome longsilog.

Phantast2k said:
(the black bar is to prevent reverse-seaching. Even though it's her "promo pic", I'd still feel weird disclosing her name)

1. Open MS Paint
2. Reduce lower border to get rid of black bar
3. Reverse image search
4. ???
5. Proffit!

DonMigs85

I love adobo, pinakbet, palabok, sisig and kaldereta but I can't stand kare-kare, papaitan and a few other dishes. I guess I just hate tripe.

DonMigs85 said:
I love adobo, pinakbet, palabok, sisig and kaldereta but I can't stand kare-kare, papaitan and a few other dishes. I guess I just hate tripe.

I had a Taiwanese girlfriend and I fed her kare kare. I didn't tell her what the meat was until afterwards. She was shocked. I laughed.

XiaNaphryz

DonMigs85 said:
No mention of sinigang?? Might have to turn in your badge for that. :p

Jamesfrom818 said:
I had a Taiwanese girlfriend and I fed her kare kare. I didn't tell her what the meat was until afterwards. She was shocked. I laughed.
I wouldn't think oxtail is that big a deal for most asian cultures.

good timing for the thread, my house is filled with post-menopausal filipino women doing karaoke. dont even know why someone would choose to sing feliz navidad if you are going to do it horribly

Quick

Banned
montbell_spoon_fork_set_rg.jpg

I might be white washed, but I still eat with a spoon and fork FOR (mostly) EVERYTHING.

Who's with me?!

Bullza2o

Filipino here born in Cavite, moved to Chicago when I was 8 years old. It's always funny when I talk to relatives in the Philippines and they act so surprised because I can still speak Tagalog.

XiaNaphryz said:
No mention of sinigang?? Might have to turn in your badge for that. :p

Sinigang is my favorite dish! And I'll add dinuguan to the list too.

mblitek

I employ two Filipino nurses! Wouldn't have it any other way, they seem to be the best!

But man, the smoked fish they cook REEKS, I offered to buy them chicken instead haha.

vani77a

Neo Member
finished studies in manila, now here in singapore with my parents and siblings.

Singapore's a fine place to work, especially for pinoys. its just a 3.5 hrs flight from manila.
(i don't earn much to do that trip often though)

rxdco07

FILIPINO checking in, born in Riyadh, Saudi, currently living in Houston!

just came back from the motherland, mannnnnn I need a ticket back ASAP

Mudkips

Banned
Phantast2k said:
Here's what a Filipino-German girl looks like:
(a friend of mine from)

1WNOQ.jpg

(the black bar is to prevent reverse-seaching. Even though it's her "promo pic", I'd still feel weird disclosing her name)

Gk9Fo.jpg

(Obviously I reduced it from the original - this one gives the same results as the one with the black bar in most search engines. Just wanted to point out that the black bar isn't too effective.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom