• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filipino-GAF get in here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mudkips said:
Gk9Fo.jpg

(Obviously I reduced it from the original - this one gives the same results as the one with the black bar in most search engines. Just wanted to point out that the black bar isn't too effective.)

Enhance.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Filipino GAFfer here born and living somewhere in Muntinlupa City.

To be honest I'm not super fond of the Filipino food but I go wild on the desserts.

Since we're posting who's hot/etc. well:

angel-locsin-and-piolo-pascual-in-love-me-again.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I always thought Pugad Baboy was dead (after Ramos' presidential days). I've been reading them more than Archie when I take a dump.

Glad to hear it's still alive until now.

DonMigs85

Yup, the author has always had a daily strip in Philippine Daily Inquirer.
Right now PB23 is only available at Comic Quest but eventually National will get them too.
Lots of gaming references in this one.

QC-GAF checking in.

I love Kare-Kare with or without bagoong (shrimp paste).

Since we have a few from Manila here, do you guys know of any other game shops that sell legit games aside from DataBlitz and I-Tech/Mr.Dynamic?

I'm asking because I had the urge to buy Deus Ex 3 Aug Ed./CE when it released on the 23rd. Since I buy my games from DBlitz, I was crushed to find out they didn't have it nor did I-Tech/Mr.Dynamic at that time. Eventually I-Tech got the R3 version for P2190 a few days before DBlitz (R3 P1800++). Already bought my R3 version from DataBlitz, still I'm a bit pissed that they couldn't get the Augmented Edition.

My Google-Fu failed me searching for other stores, so it would be cool if we can get a list going for other alternatives.

EDIT:

ULTROS! said:
piolo/angel.jpg

I don't know why but I have the dorkiest crush on Anne Curtis.

DonMigs85

Those are pretty much the only good gaming retail stores in the country, unless you're ok with Toy Kingdom's insane prices.

DonMigs85 said:
Those are pretty much the only good gaming retail stores in the country, unless you're ok with Toy Kingdom's insane prices.

I was ready to dip into their overpriced games if they did have the Augmented Edition, I called and they didn't even know what I was talking about. *lulz on me*

3JORN

Alien Manobo said:
I was ready to dip into their overpriced games if they did have the Augmented Edition, I called and they didn't even know what I was talking about. *lulz on me*
hahaha...sorry Datablitz and the GrennHills guys are all I know too :(

ULTROS!

DonMigs85 said:

If it ain't Datablitz/iTech, it's going to cost P3000+ ($70++).

I mean seriously, I saw a copy of FFXIII greatest hits in some random store costing P3000 whereas FFXIII greatest hits in DataBlitz is less than half of P3000.

DonMigs85

Sometimes DB's prices are even a bit lower than in the US, and not just for R3 copies. I think the Mafia may be involved somehow.

I was talking to my friend about this during my 4 day ordeal of searching for DE:HR and it seems that we're SOL if these two stores doesn't have or won't carry a specific title (Xenoblade:C Dblitz not importing PAL releases) that our only option is via online retailers.

Pipe-Dream: Start my own game store.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :(

dentoomw

Representing JALAPENO-GAF (lol) I'm only half Filipino but I was born and raised in Manila. Still here actually :p hooray typhoons.

I was able to get a copy of Deus Ex (Limited Ed.) at Datablitz Shang yesterday. I told them to give me a call though if and when they get an Augmented Edition in.

They have it available on Play-Asia though for 360/PS3. Available soon for PC.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Im 1/5th filipino since grandpa is from Mexico and is of filipino descent .
Kumusta ka cabrones!
:D

Karakato_001

Neo Member
Pinoy-Gaf here from Mandaluyong City. Been a long time lurker on this site and I just joined recently. I'm relieved and surprised to see this many Filipino users.

I see some of my favorite dishes, but the my personal favorite dish is the Giniling which is similar to Arroz a la Cubana.

ginilingbaboy5.jpg

ULTROS!

These will always be my favorites:

halo-halo.jpg

tumblr_ldja98onh91qazo27o1_500.jpg

butteredputo-1024x768.jpg

ensaymada.JPG

I'm not Filipino but I have a question if you guys don't mind answering. Do most Filipinos consider themselves Asian or Pacific Islander? I've heard different answers from different Filipinos and I was just curious what Filipino-GAF had to say.

ULTROS!

I have a few random questions:

1. How big is the gaming community in the Philippines as compared to the other countries in Southeast Asia?

2. To those non-Filipinos who've been to (or just stayed in) the Philippines, what's opinion on the country? (sorry, I'm just surveying results for unbiased opinions for a report that i have to do :p)

Rice-Eater said:
I'm not Filipino but I have a question if you guys don't mind answering. Do most Filipinos consider themselves Asian or Pacific Islander? I've heard different answers from different Filipinos and I was just curious what Filipino-GAF had to say.

Most check boxes in the US list Filipinos under Asian. Sometimes we also get our own check box.

tubster68

Sorry gaf, just another Male filipino here.

Born in Cavite, moved here in B.C. Canada 12 years ago. Can still speak and write perfectly.

What i miss the most?
Isaw:
sr3mb.jpg

Taho:
a0y6x.jpg

Rice-Eater said:

I'm not an expert about PC topics but for me, if I'm born and raised in Asia (which I am) I'll consider my self Asian, if I'm of Filipino descent and was born in Hawaii, I'll consider myself P.I.

Then again, why do Philippines participate in Asian Games if we're not Asian. My mind is full of fuck right now.

Wazzim

Banned
No Filipino but I have met tons of them on internet sites and have a couple on MSN, I do have a question I never really asked: Why are there so many Filipino people on english (gaming) forums? They all seem to speak/write good english too.

ULTROS!

Wazzim said:
No Filipino but I have met tons of them on internet sites and have a couple on MSN, I do have a question I never really asked: Why are there so many Filipino people on english (gaming) forums? They all seem to speak/write good english too.

Because English and Filipino are our primary languages.

In Philippine private schools, the defacto language used is English unless it's history (which I believe has changed to English now) and Filipino language class.

ULTROS! said:

In Philippine private schools, the defacto language used is English unless it's history (which I believe has changed to English now) and Filipino language class.

I think I still haven't seen a Filipino on GAF use the word "of" instead of "have", "then" instead of "than".

But then again, we have these:
compIMG_5932.jpg

compIMG_5934.jpg

compIMG_6042.jpg

Taken during a trip to Binondo a few months back.

dentoomw

ULTROS! said:
1. How big is the gaming community in the Philippines as compared to the other countries in Southeast Asia?

I'd say the community is comparable or possibly larger, but much more isolated due to the comparatively bad internet in the country. It's majority PC centric (normally in 'net cafes), with the most popular games being DOTA and the various Korean MMOG's that have been localized. I also believe there's still a good regular Arcade crowd for fighters (primarily Tekken) and dance / rhythm games. The community is also much younger, a larger portion being high schoolers and college students.

ULTROS!

Speaking of Filipino Engrish:

engrish-funny-hamen-chiz.jpg

Quick

Banned
tubster68 said:

Fuck you for posting that. I want some. :(

ULTROS! said:

I went to a private school there before moving here. My school focused on English, with tagalog spoken during break times, Filipino language class, and History class (which now seems to have been changed to English). There are signs everywhere saying that English is the primary language of the school and should be the language spoken among students.

I had a white friend, who I met in kindergarten. It was interesting to see him progress in speaking Tagalog fluently through the years. Hell, the guy probably speaks it better than I do now.

ciD_Vain

Hello fellow Filipino GAFers! :D I was born in Ilocos Norte and moved here when i was three. I still understand Ilokano fluently, i can't speak it very well though. I don't know Tagalog.

Quick

Banned
faridmon said:
always wanted to visit the country. Can you tell me more about it people. Is it great to live in?

Depends on how much money you have and where you plan to live. You can live as comfortably as your income allows, basically.

In my opinion, it's a great place to visit (dependent on where you visit), but living there is another story. Not necessarily bad, but as I said above, you can be as comfortable as you want as long as you have the money.

Brinbe

Checking in! Was born in Makati, but moved to Toronto when I was two. Can't speak Tagalog well, but at the very least, I can understand it perfectly.

faridmon

Quick said:
Depends on how much money you have and where you plan to live. You can live as comfortably as your income allows, basically.

In my opinion, it's a great place to visit (dependent on where you visit), but living there is another story. Not necessarily bad, but as I said above, you can be as comfortable as you want as long as you have the money.
But this could be said every place in the world, NO? I mean, you will comfortable if you have the money to attain that comfort. Perhaps you are talking about the Grimy feel to the country?

Quick

Banned
faridmon said:
But this could be said every place in the world, NO? I mean, you will comfortable if you have the money to attain that comfort. Perhaps you are talking about the Grimy feel to the country?

Yes, that's what I mean. I should've clarified that. You're either living in a nice house/condo/apartment, or you're in the ghetto, which is worse than it is in North America.

DonMigs85

The thing about the country is you can have grimy poor areas right next to clean, fancy gated subdivisions or condominiums. In Makati though, they try to cover up all the unfortunate realities as much as they can.

faridmon

Quick said:
Yes, that's what I mean. I should've clarified that. You're either living in a nice house/condo/apartment, or you're in the ghetto, which is worse than it is in North America.
Ah, that makes more sense. well I lived in a different countries in Middle East so I am sort of used to that type of living where the class difference is quite broad. What about thier people? are they friendly or are they like the arba, horrible people (horrible in a sense that it is quite challanging to get along with them) just because the atmosphere and the harsh environment?

Quick

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
The thing about the country is you can have grimy poor areas right next to clean, fancy gated subdivisions or condominiums. In Makati though, they try to cover up all the unfortunate realities as much as they can.

Yeah. I had to stay in Makati when I came back to visit a couple of years ago, and to the average tourist, things look fine. It's when you suddenly see the poor begging (including kids) that makes you think otherwise. Then you get on the highway, and on a higher road/bridge, and you see the slums.

On my first night visiting, I went to the convenience store and suddenly, two kids were begging and actually walked inside with me, got ice cream and asked me to buy it for them. The store clerk shooed them away, but I felt terrible and awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom